PDA

View Full Version : A Look Into the Future O-Line Situation?

eaglesalltheway
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Just saw on the Eagles team site that Shawn Andrews is listed as both a Guard and Tackle. I don't recall seeing this before. Perhaps this means that Runyan may not be retained, or that they are exploring the options (that I have been saying for months now, not to gloat) of putting Andrews at RT and bringing MJG in at RG. With this developement, I think it is a lot less likely that the Eagles look for another OG for the future or a RT porspect. I think the team may be concentrating more on the LT position for our line...

Menardo75
02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
I really think you guys need to find a way to get Nick Cole into the lineup.

eaglesalltheway
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I really think you guys need to find a way to get Nick Cole into the lineup.

A few of us think there may be competition for him as the starting Center, which is where he is listed as the actual backup. We also need to get MJG in there as well. I've been saying that since we drafted him, and he finally got the chance this year.

camp_eagles
02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Just saw on the Eagles team site that Shawn Andrews is listed as both a Guard and Tackle. I don't recall seeing this before. Perhaps this means that Runyan may not be retained, or that they are exploring the options (that I have been saying for months now, not to gloat) of putting Andrews at RT and bringing MJG in at RG. With this developement, I think it is a lot less likely that the Eagles look for another OG for the future or a RT porspect. I think the team may be concentrating more on the LT position for our line...

I think Andrews has been listed at G/T for over a year.

twista6002
02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I've been saying we should draft a center or a guard instead of a tackle for months now. And I also think Nick Cole should start whether it's at center or left guard. A name I like who's going to be available is Jason Brown on the Ravens. The dude owned Bunkley. He's an absolute roadgrader and can pass block just as well as Jackson. This guy will be a franchise center someday and I hope we can jump on him kind of like we did with Runyan in 2000. Assuming we do, our line should be something like

Herremans-Cole-Brown-MJG-Andrews

Apparently the staff loves McGlynn and sees him like another Jon Runyan, so if we can't draft a big name or bring in Brown we should be in decent hands with Herremans-McGlynn-Cole-MJG-Andrews.

With that being said I still feel we should try to bring in a decent amount of offensive linemen and make a large competition. Even if it means putting some good players or high picks on the bench, it still means we have battle tested and quality players at the most important position in football.

eaglesalltheway
02-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I think Andrews has been listed at G/T for over a year.

It is very possible. I've just never noticed it before, and it struck me as weird, considering I had never taken notice to it.

eaglesalltheway
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I've been saying we should draft a center or a guard instead of a tackle for months now. And I also think Nick Cole should start whether it's at center or left guard. A name I like who's going to be available is Jason Brown on the Ravens. The dude owned Bunkley. He's an absolute roadgrader and can pass block just as well as Jackson. This guy will be a franchise center someday and I hope we can jump on him kind of like we did with Runyan in 2000. Assuming we do, our line should be something like

Herremans-Cole-Brown-MJG-Andrews

Apparently the staff loves McGlynn and sees him like another Jon Runyan, so if we can't draft a big name or bring in Brown we should be in decent hands with Herremans-McGlynn-Cole-MJG-Andrews.

With that being said I still feel we should try to bring in a decent amount of offensive linemen and make a large competition. Even if it means putting some good players or high picks on the bench, it still means we have battle tested and quality players at the most important position in football.

I agree with you to a certain extent. If a franchise LT is available we should take a shot at it. We already have the interior OL loaded with great players. I know those spots may be vacated soon, but the tackles shuld be a higher priority than G or C, though not much higher. It all depends what the coaching staff plans on doing...

twista6002
02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I agree with you to a certain extent. If a franchise LT is available we should take a shot at it. We already have the interior OL loaded with great players. I know those spots may be vacated soon, but the tackles shuld be a higher priority than G or C, though not much higher. It all depends what the coaching staff plans on doing...

At the same time, I think we're loaded at tackle. Herremans has no business playing guard to begin with all he can do is pass block. He'll be perfect at left tackle, and Andrews is the type who'll be great wherever you put him, since tackle is more important than guard I'd consider him our franchise right tackle. Our line's biggest weakness last year was run blocking and as far as I'm concerned we need an interior upgrade. I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Britton or Oher because I think they both would be great at left guard.

eaglesalltheway
02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
At the same time, I think we're loaded at tackle. Herremans has no business playing guard to begin with all he can do is pass block. He'll be perfect at left tackle, and Andrews is the type who'll be great wherever you put him, since tackle is more important than guard I'd consider him our franchise right tackle. Our line's biggest weakness last year was run blocking and as far as I'm concerned we need an interior upgrade. I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Britton or Oher because I think they both would be great at left guard.

Agreed, the OL coach would really maximize their potential. Can't remember his name right now, ugh.

twista6002
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Agreed, the OL coach would really maximize their potential. Can't remember his name right now, ugh.

Juan Castillo I think. Little guy that looks and talks like he should be coaching soccer if you know what I mean. But the dude is a damn good line coach.

eaglesalltheway
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Juan Castillo I think. Little guy that looks and talks like he should be coaching soccer if you know what I mean. But the dude is a damn good line coach.

Thank you! You haven't been here long enough like some of the Eagles fans here to know that I can completely blank on names sometimes, when it is really easy. As for Castillo looking like a soccer coach. No way in hell. I was 20 feet away from him and the OL in TC and there have been few times that I've heard more intesity (and profanity) from one person in a small amount of time. (Mike Gibson got beat, and Castillo was reaming him out!) He is a damn good line coach, one of the better ones in the NFL if you ask me.

camp_eagles
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Thank you! You haven't been here long enough like some of the Eagles fans here to know that I can completely blank on names sometimes, when it is really easy. As for Castillo looking like a soccer coach. No way in hell. I was 20 feet away from him and the OL in TC and there have been few times that I've heard more intesity (and profanity) from one person in a small amount of time. (Mike Gibson got beat, and Castillo was reaming him out!) He is a damn good line coach, one of the better ones in the NFL if you ask me.

No one swears more then the Michigan coaching staff. And it doesn't matter who we bring in Juan will make them at least respectable ex Cole, Herremans, Jackson, I'm sure that there is at least one more but I cant remember.

P.S. Who is Winston Justice?

twista6002
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM

When I said he spoke like a soccer coach, I didn't mean his attitude.

Sniper
02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Andrews has been listed as a G/T for a while now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup like this at OL...

LT- First Round Pick (Eben Britton?)
LG- Max-Jean Gilles
C- Nick Cole
RG- Shawn Andrews
RT- Todd Herremans

What say ye?

bsaza2358
02-10-2009, 08:57 AM
McGlynn is interesting, as is King Dunlap. Herremens backed up Thomas at LT for his first 2 seasons before becoming the LG. I happen to think that MJG at the very least will play LG this season (in competition with Cole). Runyan just had microfracture surgery, so he could be had at a steep discount. That being said, he will be a major question mark. While I love both Runyan and Thomas, I think the Eagles have enough depth at the OLine spot (outside of LT) to overcome not bringing Runyan back. I could be okay with Herremens at LT, but I'd prefer one of these rooks at the spot. I think with 2 first rounders and fewer major needs on the team (DE is pretty solid, LB is pretty set, interior OLine is intact, etc), we could make a run at a top LT. We'll see what happens. Likelihood is that at least 1 interior OL will be cut or traded before TC. I would expect at least 1 Day 1 pick to be spent on OLine...

Sniper
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
So at 21 and 28, who could you see as a potential starting OT? Eben Britton? Phil Loadholt? William Beatty?

bsaza2358
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
I've liked Loadholt for about 3 years, but I'm not sure he has the quickness to play LT for the Eagles. I think Justice is a better RT than LT, and I feel similarly about both McGlynn and Dunlap. I could see them moving up if a guy like Oher fell. If they don't go OT with their first rounder, I'd be shocked.

eaglesalltheway
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Andrews has been listed as a G/T for a while now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup like this at OL...

LT- First Round Pick (Eben Britton?)
LG- Max-Jean Gilles
C- Nick Cole
RG- Shawn Andrews
RT- Todd Herremans

What say ye?

I wouldn't mind that at all either, but if the coaching staff is as high on McGlynn as it seems, I think it could end up more like...
LT-First round pick
LG-McGlynn
C-Cole
RG-MJG
RT-Andrews

Either one I am a fan of, but thats somehting I've ben thinking about for a bit as well. That is a really young, talented OL right there, even with the LT spot being vacated.

eaglesalltheway
02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
So at 21 and 28, who could you see as a potential starting OT? Eben Britton? Phil Loadholt? William Beatty?

Britton could. Theres talk of Oher falling that low. Loadholt would have to be RT, and I haven't seen Beatty play, but I've heard he is more of a finesse guy, and may not fit our offense well. I really wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles trade up this year. You look at all of our needs, and OT is really only what you'd consider a first round need.

Brothgar
02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
But what about Winston Justice :D

eaglesalltheway
02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I've liked Loadholt for about 3 years, but I'm not sure he has the quickness to play LT for the Eagles. I think Justice is a better RT than LT, and I feel similarly about both McGlynn and Dunlap. I could see them moving up if a guy like Oher fell. If they don't go OT with their first rounder, I'd be shocked.

I've seen Dunlap in TC, he could easily play LT. In fact I'd say he's better suited as an LT. He has arms like nothing I've ever seen. His arms might be as long as I am tall (5'8), haha. He has enough quickness to be a LT and with this extra year, I'm sure he can do it if he needed to come in for an injury. The reason I thik he's better suited as a LT is because he can't devastate defenders like the RT traditionally should be able to do. Watching him play, he looks like more of a techniciean than a mauler, which is best suited for LT IMO.

I too would be shocked if we don't use a first rounder on some sort of O-Linemen.

twista6002
02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I've seen Dunlap in TC, he could easily play LT. In fact I'd say he's better suited as an LT. He has arms like nothing I've ever seen. His arms might be as long as I am tall (5'8), haha. He has enough quickness to be a LT and with this extra year, I'm sure he can do it if he needed to come in for an injury. The reason I thik he's better suited as a LT is because he can't devastate defenders like the RT traditionally should be able to do. Watching him play, he looks like more of a techniciean than a mauler, which is best suited for LT IMO.

I too would be shocked if we don't use a first rounder on some sort of O-Linemen.

Dunlap is easily a LT and nothing else. I don't think he has the surge to be a right tackle. And I don't want any part of Loadholt.

eaglesalltheway
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Dunlap is easily a LT and nothing else. I don't think he has the surge to be a right tackle. And I don't want any part of Loadholt.

I think Loadholt, if we could get him in the second, would be a good pick for a RT, the probablem with that is I really only think we'd pick him in the second if OL isn't addressed in the first, which many of us agree is very unlikely.

Eaglez.Fan
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I think Loadholt, if we could get him in the second, would be a good pick for a RT, the probablem with that is I really only think we'd pick him in the second if OL isn't addressed in the first, which many of us agree is very unlikely.

Meh. I think the only spot where the eagles would take an o-linemen in the 1st would be LT. Loadholt is primarily a RT. At right tackle there are more options, Andrews could easily move out, Herremans could move out to RT, and Justice isn't a complete bust at RT, yet. I'd take a guy who is a LT only, a guy like William Beatty, is my favorite.

Go_Eagles77
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
This is how I see it for next year.

LT - Herremans
LG - MJG/Cole/McGlynn
C - Jackson/Cole
RG - Andrews
RT - rookie (Britton/Loadholt)

There will definitely be some interesting battles going on in TC.

twista6002
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM

LT - Herremans
LG - MJG/Cole/McGlynn
C - Jackson/Cole
RG - Andrews

MJG is too slow to play left guard. He's best suited at right guard. I wouldn't mind starting him there and sliding Andrews to tackle. And I'd love to see McGlynn prove the staff right and win the left guard spot and then Cole beats out Jackson at center.

Keep in mind though there is a slight chance a name like Jason Brown or Jordan Gross becomes an Eagle and an even more likely chance we draft at least 1 lineman on the first day.

Herremans-McGlynn-Cole-MJG-Andrews*

*subject to change

Go_Eagles77
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I know MJG isn't an ideal LG but I don't like Andrews at RT. Cole isn't an ideal LG either.

twista6002
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I know MJG isn't an ideal LG but I don't like Andrews at RT. Cole isn't an ideal LG either.

Cole is a lot more ideal than MJG. He's got quicker feet to say the least. Andrews is the type that can play any position but since tackle is a more important position than guard I'd slide him out there, especially since MJG has proven he's a viable starter. But I can't emphasize enough we will have at least 1 new lineman next year regardless of position. Hopefully Jason Brown.

eaglesalltheway
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Meh. I think the only spot where the eagles would take an o-linemen in the 1st would be LT. Loadholt is primarily a RT. At right tackle there are more options, Andrews could easily move out, Herremans could move out to RT, and Justice isn't a complete bust at RT, yet. I'd take a guy who is a LT only, a guy like William Beatty, is my favorite.

I feel the same way you do about the RT position. We already have enough guys who could play there. But I could see us taking a C or something with our second first rounder and sliding people out. It would look somehting like this...

LT: Herremans
LG: McGlynn
C: First round pick
RG: MJG
RT: Andrews

Granted thats not my ideal scenario, but with the verstility of our O-linemen, almost anything is possible there.

eaglesalltheway
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
MJG is too slow to play left guard. He's best suited at right guard. I wouldn't mind starting him there and sliding Andrews to tackle. And I'd love to see McGlynn prove the staff right and win the left guard spot and then Cole beats out Jackson at center.

Keep in mind though there is a slight chance a name like Jason Brown or Jordan Gross becomes an Eagle and an even more likely chance we draft at least 1 lineman on the first day.

Herremans-McGlynn-Cole-MJG-Andrews*

*subject to change

I agree that MJG is best suited as the RG, but he isn't too slow to be the LG. I've been saying this since he got here, but he is very quick for a guy his size. Even at the weight he is, he was able to get downfield and lead the way for a few of the screen plays. Cole did it as well, but MJG isn't to slow to play LG.

I would love to get either of those FAs. I may just pee my pants.

eaglesalltheway
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM

LT - Herremans
LG - MJG/Cole/McGlynn
C - Jackson/Cole
RG - Andrews

I could see ti like that, but I could just as easily see it with Andrews at RT and MJG at RG. Or Herremans at RT and MJG or Cole or McGlynn at RT, and we use a first rounder on OT. I think Britton could be a LT for our offense. He doesn't have the athletecism of the other LT porspects, but we don't need super-athletic LTs in our offensive blocking scheme. Britton is more of a mauler and in the NFC East, we could really use a mauler type LT, like Tra is his prime.

twista6002
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I agree that MJG is best suited as the RG, but he isn't too slow to be the LG. I've been saying this since he got here, but he is very quick for a guy his size. Even at the weight he is, he was able to get downfield and lead the way for a few of the screen plays. Cole did it as well, but MJG isn't to slow to play LG.

I would love to get either of those FAs. I may just pee my pants.

Yea but Cole is much better suited to play left guard being that he has much quicker feet, plus MJG is the roadgrader type who'll fit in perfectly at right guard.

twista6002
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I could see ti like that, but I could just as easily see it with Andrews at RT and MJG at RG. Or Herremans at RT and MJG or Cole or McGlynn at RT, and we use a first rounder on OT. I think Britton could be a LT for our offense. He doesn't have the athletecism of the other LT porspects, but we don't need super-athletic LTs in our offensive blocking scheme. Britton is more of a mauler and in the NFC East, we could really use a mauler type LT, like Tra is his prime.

Oh yuck I'd be so pissed if Herremans played right tackle. The guy has good size but has no surge at all. He's awful at run blocking. He's meant to play as far away from where the ball is going to be run as possible. I love his pass block skills though I think he'd be a cool franchise LT. A dropoff from what we saw with Tra no doubt but still extremely ideal. And when you said MJG, Cole,or McGlynn at RT I hope you made a type and meant RG?

eaglesalltheway
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Yea but Cole is much better suited to play left guard being that he has much quicker feet, plus MJG is the roadgrader type who'll fit in perfectly at right guard.

i agree that MJg is the perfect RG, but what you aren't getting is that his feet are quick enough to play either Guard, and he is mobile enough as well. How many screens was MJG leading the way for until he broke his ankle? Answer, a ****load.

eaglesalltheway
02-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Oh yuck I'd be so pissed if Herremans played right tackle. The guy has good size but has no surge at all. He's awful at run blocking. He's meant to play as far away from where the ball is going to be run as possible. I love his pass block skills though I think he'd be a cool franchise LT. A dropoff from what we saw with Tra no doubt but still extremely ideal. And when you said MJG, Cole,or McGlynn at RT I hope you made a type and meant RG?

'Twas a typo, and it could be for RG, though as I've said LG could work as well.

Apparently you don't understand that not OL spots are the same if you think he will be the same type of player at RT (or LT) as he is at LG. First off, the opponents he is facing are different, the footwork is different, as is the mentality. Technique needs to be slightly adjusted, not to mention assginments on different plays. At RT he will be facing a DE more often than he was while playing LG, where he played mostly DTs. Most DEs in the league are smaller and weaker than the DT he's been on while at Guard. He will be able to get a better push at RT than he has at LG because oof the different people he is facing. Granted he won't become a mauler, and I agree that he is better suited at LT, but he could just as easily play RT.

twista6002
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
'Twas a typo, and it could be for RG, though as I've said LG could work as well.

Apparently you don't understand that not OL spots are the same if you think he will be the same type of player at RT (or LT) as he is at LG. First off, the opponents he is facing are different, the footwork is different, as is the mentality. Technique needs to be slightly adjusted, not to mention assginments on different plays. At RT he will be facing a DE more often than he was while playing LG, where he played mostly DTs. Most DEs in the league are smaller and weaker than the DT he's been on while at Guard. He will be able to get a better push at RT than he has at LG because oof the different people he is facing. Granted he won't become a mauler, and I agree that he is better suited at LT, but he could just as easily play RT.

He still wouldn't be very good at RT. His overall runblocking technique is his problem. And I don't think him trying to run block guys like Justin Tuck is going to be pretty. And he doesn't have the surge to play the right side. He's a LT. I think he should be good there, which is why I'm kind of impartial to drafting a left tackle, but rather an interior guy.

twista6002
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
i agree that MJg is the perfect RG, but what you aren't getting is that his feet are quick enough to play either Guard, and he is mobile enough as well. How many screens was MJG leading the way for until he broke his ankle? Answer, a ****load.

His mobility isn't really a question, but rather the quickness of his feet off the ball. A left guard needs to be a little more nimble, hence why I'd like to see Cole there and MJG on the right.

eaglesalltheway
02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
His mobility isn't really a question, but rather the quickness of his feet off the ball. A left guard needs to be a little more nimble, hence why I'd like to see Cole there and MJG on the right.

His feet are just fine, unless your comparing him to a top LT, but his feet are plenty quick enough to play LG, Coles feet aren't that much quicker than his. In our blocking system, there isn't too much of a difference in assignments between guards, or tackles for that matter. Personnell affects it yes, but assignments are the same. It is a simple system where you basically take care of the guy in front of you. Depending on the defense's alignment, you will chip and go out to the backer, but all the linemen do it, at least on occasion. What one guard is asked to do, so is the other, same goes with the tackles. Now the competition the separate linemen go up agianst, combined with their different skill sets, make them into the positions they are, but the bsic idea of the blocking schemes are the same...

eaglesalltheway
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Not really sure where else to put this, but with doing the research for Jason Brown in the Mock Off-season, I fell in love...

I already knew Brown was a monster for the Ravens, but digging deeper into his past I found things that I just love about him. He is smart, super athletic, and very, very strong. Not to mention his versatility. He can play any interior O-line position because of his skill set. Not only has he played Center for the Ravens, but started at LG and was even recruited as a RT for North Carolina. He is balanced, but not in the normal sense. He is elite in both categories, running and passing, and is really, really quick, and would be able to devastate as a blocker downfield on screens. With his versatility our OL can do numerous things in the coming seasons if he were to sign here. He can play LG due to his athletecism and great technique, but play RG because he is a mauler and straight up monster road grater. We already know he is a beast as a Center. And then I found out how much work he does for charities and funds and all things of the like. Since he has been in the NFL in 2005, he has been involved in around 50 charities or funds or benefits. That rivals what Dawk does and would garner immediate respect fropm the rest of the team. He is a leader as well, having experience there as well. Oh the possibilities...
This fits nearly as well here as it does in the team section. I only put it there because this seems more like a thread for guys that are laready on the team.