PDA

View Full Version : Would Vinny actually do this...

2 Live Crew
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
According to Cerrato he always drafts the BPA on his draft board.

If for some reason Sanchez slips to 13 (we've seen worse slips from QB's) and he is the BPA on Vinny's board...will he take him?

Or will he make an exception to his philosophy?

toddmlazarchick
02-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I wouldnt put it past him but I think he knows his butt is on the line this year. If we dont make the playoffs and at least past the wildcard round he is done.

Red_BearSkins
02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
The QB class is pretty weak this year, Sanchez isn't a BPA at #13. Stafford might be. I think both of them will slip in the draft.

If Curry falls to #13, he's a definitive BPA. I don't think any of the low-mid first round DE's really fit our scheme. This is a great draft for 3-4 OLB, not 4-3 DE. Crabtree is a BPA, but after Thomas/Davis/Kelly, I don't think he'll want to repeat on receivers.

Jenkins worries me, he's a talent for sure, but some teams have him moving to FS. There's also a question of if he can play lockdown in a man scheme. If we look at scheme while considering BPA, I think they'll pass on Jenkins.

Raji won't fall to us, but on the offhand he is, Vinny would consider him a BPA. I think Peria Jerry is a better fit for us, his age is what is making him slip in the draft, but he could come in and contribute on the 1st day, which is what Vinny needs.

2 Live Crew
02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
The QB class is pretty weak this year, Sanchez isn't a BPA at #13. Stafford might be. I think both of them will slip in the draft.

If Curry falls to #13, he's a definitive BPA. I don't think any of the low-mid first round DE's really fit our scheme. This is a great draft for 3-4 OLB, not 4-3 DE. Crabtree is a BPA, but after Thomas/Davis/Kelly, I don't think he'll want to repeat on receivers.

Jenkins worries me, he's a talent for sure, but some teams have him moving to FS. There's also a question of if he can play lockdown in a man scheme. If we look at scheme while considering BPA, I think they'll pass on Jenkins.

Raji won't fall to us, but on the offhand he is, Vinny would consider him a BPA. I think Peria Jerry is a better fit for us, his age is what is making him slip in the draft, but he could come in and contribute on the 1st day, which is what Vinny needs.

I'm not saying I would draft Sanchez at 13 but he could easily be the BPA on Cerrato's board at that point. He's ranked 8th overall by Wright on this site...

Red_BearSkins
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm not saying I would draft Sanchez at 13 but he could easily be the BPA on Cerrato's board at that point. He's ranked 8th overall by Wright on this site...

I have issues with this sites ranking system. ESPN's is a little better, they have Sanchez ranked 13th there.

I'm part of the few that think Stafford and Sanchez are overrated in this draft. Just cause they're the best prospects at QB in this draft, doesn't make them the best players in this draft.

It's just a weak QB class, next year's QB crop is a lot stronger, if Stafford and Sanchez were in that, they'd both be way lower. Stafford in the teens, and Sanchez late first/early second.

toddmlazarchick
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I dont believe that all 4 OTs will be gone. Jenkins i could live with because I think if we resign Hall that Rogers will walk next season. If he has to move to FS then so be it. Landry can play up near the LOS. I think Jerry is a way better DT then Raji. Raji disappears in games and that is why I dont want him here one bit!

Red_BearSkins
02-12-2009, 02:53 AM
So what happens to Chris Horton then if we draft Jenkins? We're already arguing about Rogers in another thread, so lets keep it there instead of diluting this one.

And the 4 OT's will most likely, be gone. Last years draft had 7 OT's gone in the first round.

Lions, Rams, Seahawks, Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars, Packers, 49ers are all in need of OT help.

Lions, Rams, Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars are the most likely candidates. If Crabtree is taken before the Seahawks, then they will for sure draft an OT (Walter Jones will be 35). If the right tackle fell to the Packers, they'd draft him, since both their tackles are getting up there in age one is a FA while the other will be one next year. 49ers needs o-line help bad, their previous high draft pick has been a total bust.

That's 5 likely teams to draft 4 tackles, plus 3 other teams that have a certain tackle on their big board depending how the draft plays out.

I agree with you about Peria Jerry, I think he'll be a better fit for our team than Raji will.

toddmlazarchick
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
So what happens to Chris Horton then if we draft Jenkins? We're already arguing about Rogers in another thread, so lets keep it there instead of diluting this one.

And the 4 OT's will most likely, be gone. Last years draft had 7 OT's gone in the first round.

Lions, Rams, Seahawks, Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars, Packers, 49ers are all in need of OT help.

Lions, Rams, Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars are the most likely candidates. If Crabtree is taken before the Seahawks, then they will for sure draft an OT (Walter Jones will be 35). If the right tackle fell to the Packers, they'd draft him, since both their tackles are getting up there in age one is a FA while the other will be one next year. 49ers needs o-line help bad, their previous high draft pick has been a total bust.

That's 5 likely teams to draft 4 tackles, plus 3 other teams that have a certain tackle on their big board depending how the draft plays out.

I agree with you about Peria Jerry, I think he'll be a better fit for our team than Raji will.

Detroit needs a QB more then OT, Rams will take an OT, Bengals have bigger needs then OT, Al Davis loves his sexy picks, Jags would probably take a T, 49ers need a QB more then OL, Packers have more needs then OT but could still take one. Thats 3.

twista6002
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Sanchez probably isn't rated high enough to be 13th overall. I could see you guys taking Oher.

Question: if you take Oher, would Zorn put him behind Samuels and let him learn for a year or 2 (however long you plan on keeping Samuels) or would Zorn start Oher at another spot on the line?

skinzzfan25
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Sanchez probably isn't rated high enough to be 13th overall. I could see you guys taking Oher.

Question: if you take Oher, would Zorn put him behind Samuels and let him learn for a year or 2 (however long you plan on keeping Samuels) or would Zorn start Oher at another spot on the line?

That would probably be up to Joe Bugel. I trust him.

But from my perspective I think Oher would be fine to start RT day one. And the only way we're taking a QB, especially in round one, is if Zorn hand picks him. Just because Sanchez/Stafford are highly touted doesn't mean the Z-man digs em.

2 Live Crew
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Probably start at RT until Samuels can't get it done anymore on the left side is my guess

toddmlazarchick
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Probably start at RT until Samuels can't get it done anymore on the left side is my guess

Exactly! Oher>>>>>>Jansen + Heyer

treyskins
02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
According to Cerrato he always drafts the BPA on his draft board.

If for some reason Sanchez slips to 13 (we've seen worse slips from QB's) and he is the BPA on Vinny's board...will he take him?

Or will he make an exception to his philosophy?

Does anybody really believe Cerrato goes B.P.A.?
Those with long memories will remember the skins chasing chad Johnson and offering multiple picks.
Lo and behold the skins take 2 wideouts and a T.E. with their picks.
Just co-incidence??
Rocky mac-they traded up to get a L.B. but missed out on d'quell jackson and demeco ryans.Rocky was plan C.

Cannot see them taking a QB because what does that do to their annointed starter looking for a contract?
Plus Brennan was drafted last year and todd Collins will be a sizable cap hit if released.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
If Fred Davis and Malcolm were BPA than we have an issue. Also people don't understand what BPA means, you still strongly consider positional needs just might mean you take a more talented prospect at a position which isn't needed as much as another. The Ravens have perfected going BPA but still they don't take a MLB or safety with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, just as we won't go safety in the 3rd round even if it is the BPA.

2 Live Crew
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I realize this aint really gonna happen, I'm just basing this off what Cerrato has said:

"You know, so you’ve gotta go with how you have them ranked, how you have them graded, and you can’t just go take a need."

He places a very low priority on need during the draft. This is the problem I'm trying to point out. Its very likely he will make a bad decision with our 1st rounder.

I mean he took 3 pass catchers in the 2nd round...so obviously he believes in taking the best player available to a reasonably far degree. I don't believe he would have taken both Davis and Kelly if they weren't at the top of his board basically, which is a problem I'm trying to point out here.

Either they were at the top of his board or Zorn influenced him to take all those guys (thus lying about taking BPA), which would also be a problem.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I realize this aint really gonna happen, I'm just basing this off what Cerrato has said:

"You know, so youíve gotta go with how you have them ranked, how you have them graded, and you canít just go take a need."

He places a very low priority on need during the draft. This is the problem I'm trying to point out. Its very likely he will make a bad decision with our 1st rounder.

I mean he took 3 pass catchers in the 2nd round...so obviously he believes in taking the best player available to a reasonably far degree. I don't believe he would have taken both Davis and Kelly if they weren't at the top of his board basically, which is a problem I'm trying to point out here.

Either they were at the top of his board or Zorn influenced him to take all those guys (thus lying about taking BPA), which would also be a problem.

It was definitely the Zorn influence. Vinny was told we didn't have the WR personnel for a WCO so he decided to get 3 big targets.