PDA

View Full Version : Former First Round Free Agent QBs

BeerBaron
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Your the Head Coach of an NFL franchise with an opening at the QB position. Your team isn't in a position to draft a top young signal caller and trade options are thin.

Your GM comes to you asking which of these 6 former first round pick QBs you would most want because he is planning on signing one of them. (I excluded Kerry Collins because he's an old, old school first rounder...)

So, who do you pick?

(The poll is coming, don't fret if its not up right away)

bored of education
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
JP LOSMAN ftw ! :D

BeerBaron
02-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I now realize Leftwich should also have been included.....hmmmm......oh well. Pretend your GM doesn't like him.

Crickett
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
If I have a very good offensive line, David Carr. Otherwise Kyle Boller.

nrk
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I now realize Leftwich should also have been included.....hmmmm......oh well. Pretend your GM doesn't like him.

Thats who I would of chose out of all of them heh. Voted for Losman though.

d34ng3l021
02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
If I have a very good offensive line, David Carr. Otherwise Kyle Boller.

Even if you have a very good offensive line, David Carr will make them look bad.

I would go with JP Losman. He isn't that terrible.

M.O.T.H.
02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm going w/ Leftwich, screw the poll. :)

M.O.T.H.
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
David Carr is a broken player...blame it on the Texans god awful line years ago. He's gun shy and checks down more than Brad Johnson.

j05son
02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
J.P. Losman.

RaiderNation
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Leftwich.... since he isnt on ur poll I voted Grossman.

Splat
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Leftwich and Losman have the most upside (on paper) IMO.

eaglesalltheway
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I voted Losman. There were times when it looked like he was going to be the potential starter for the forseeable future in Buffalo. I'd cross my fingers and hope he could find that again. Not much to choose from in this list though.

Menardo75
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Joey Harrington imo best of all of the available guys, besides maybe Leftwich.

Brodeur
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I meant to pick Boller but hit Patrick Ramsey for some reason. I'd probably pick Boller because I think he can be a serviceable starter in the league, as compared to the rest of the crop.

Also, way too many people are picking JP Losman for considering how unbelievably moronic he is. I know he has SOME upside left but christ.

Jughead10
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Are all these other guys free agents? Because Carr re-signed with the Giants. So if so, swap him out for Leftwich in the poll.

djp
02-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I selected Carr because he outplayed Eli Manning when they played the Vikings in Week 17.

captainjack27
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
forgot about leftwich...i'd prolly take him outta the bunch

CashmoneyDrew
02-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd definitely take Leftwich, but since he's not on this list I'll go with Boller.

Gay Ork Wang
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Maybe its just me, but id take Grossman, which is weird considering that im a Bears fan

ElectricEye
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Out of those guys, I would give Boller the second chance. Leftwhich would pretty much be the best option though. Either way, you're most likely screwed over with these guys.

Mr.Regular
02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Grossman, Boller, and Losman are the only real options I would consider from this list. For me it would come down to Boller and Grossman, but Grossman has some serious experience, he started a Super Bowl for Christ's sake! You know he could be a nice stop-gap and do relatively well with a good supporting cast. None of these guys are long-term answers, so if I had to pick Id go Grossman, but Boller would be close behind.

bored of education
02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
You're team is hurting if you pick up any of these guys to be starter next year. KC DONT CALL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

CashmoneyDrew
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
anyone who takes patrick ramsey needs to have his head checked (sorry brodeur).

I meant to pick Boller but hit Patrick Ramsey for some reason.

;)

We can forgive his trigger happiness just this once.

CC.SD
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I went with Grossman, honestly for all his experience I feel like he hasn't actually played all that much and is still worth developing, plus his ceiling is high.

Malaka
02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
David Carr has looked great anytime he got playing time with the Giants. So my vote goes to him.

Geo
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
1. Leftwich
2. Grossman
3. Harrington

In that order, those are the only guys I would consider. I can't believe how many people are saying Losman, they don't know how bad he really is.

BeerBaron
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah, for the people saying Leftwich, I forgot to put him on there like I said before. And I had forgotten that Carr reupped.

If I got to do it again I'd switch them out but hey.....take it for what its worth.

DeathbyStat
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't think any of them are any good.....

But Rex has proven the most in the NFL

Iamcanadian
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't touch one of these QB's with a 10 foot pole. They are all bums going nowhere.

Brodeur
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
anyone who takes patrick ramsey needs to have his head checked (sorry brodeur).

Is that insult for me making fun of you saying bloody in an earlier thread?

Xiomera
02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I voted for John Joseph "Piano Man" Harrington, III.

Donno
02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I would get Grossman, most games hes average but sometimes he shows up to the game and has a big game.

PACKmanN
02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Aaron Rodgers gives Joey, Boller, and Carr hope :)

BlindSite
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe its just me, but id take Grossman, which is weird considering that im a Bears fan

I tend to agree, he may have melted down and lost the start to neckbeard but he had some flashes for a long time of what could've become an excellent quarterback down the road. Part of me thinks it was system, and just a ****** offensive situation overall. I don't know what the major issue was, but I think Grossman wasn't solely to blame.

katnip
02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
JP Losman

because he can escape a little pressure with his feet

Brodeur
02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
JP Losman

because he can escape a little pressure with his feet

And then throw an interception or fumble.

TheBuffaloBills
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I am getting shivers from all the JP picks. He is the most indecisive QB ever.

katnip
02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
And then throw an interception or fumble.

It's all good. Rex Ryan is a freak.

Wait... Where's Byron Leftwich?

Vox Populi
02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Its sad that JP is actually leading this and its legit too... Thats how bad the others are...

the_legend_killer
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I voted for Boller, I think he could still be ok.

Larry
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Alex Smith will be on that list very soon. The Niners are going dump him before the 27th.

Burger
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I would choose leftwich. I always thought David Carr was not bad when he was with Houston.

scottyboy
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
David Carr now that the Giants de-rudy cool-ified him by taking away those white gloves..

even though we already re-signed him. he's ours! muwahahaha

Thunder&Lightning
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Did anyone see Losman fill in for edwards this season... He was absolutely terrible

locseti
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
1.) Leftwich
2.) Boller
3.) Carr

Vox Populi
02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Did anyone see Losman fill in for edwards this season... He was absolutely terrible

Yeah, but the beard?

scottyboy
02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
and yet people are picking david carr, who hasn't EVER been good and certainly hasn't shown any remote ability to play well in several years.

there are no good options in the list.

I picked David Carr because of my flat out blatant homerism. I will openly admit that.

Crickett
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
nothing wrong with that. and except for patrick ramsey, there isn't really anything wrong with taking any of them. they all suck and you're unlikely to win a lot of games if you have to rely on any of those guys.

I'd say except for Patrick Ramsey and J.P. Losman. They've all shown some glimmer of hope except those two.

scottyboy
02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd say except for Patrick Ramsey and J.P. Losman. They've all shown some glimmer of hope except those two.

Please, Losman has shown hope at times, he's won games. Ramsey is just an embarrassment to QBs, football and life

Brodeur
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Please, Losman has shown hope at times, he's won games. Ramsey is just an embarrassment to QBs, football and life

Craig Krenzel won some games too.

scottyboy
02-11-2009, 10:12 PM

touche sir. I'm just sayin' I don't think Losman belongs to be grouped with Ramsey

Brodeur
02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
touche sir. I'm just sayin' I don't think Losman belongs to be grouped with Ramsey

To be fair Ramsey never really got much of a chance.

P-L
02-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Rex Grossman, just because he is the best when he is "on." The problem is, he's just not "on" that often.

BeerBaron
02-11-2009, 10:16 PM

First TD pass on his first pass.....not bad, not bad.....heh

And I remember talking to a Redskins fan on another board yeeears ago that was adamant that Ramsey would have been great with anyone but Spurrier as his QB. Ramsey would have a few good plays, the offense would be moving, then they'd suddenly empty the backfield and Ramsey would get crushed by 8 guys.....

wicket
02-12-2009, 06:43 AM
it kinda feel like being asked how you want to be slain but I'd go with grossman, I think he could play really a lot better (still just okay but wth) in a dome or basicly anywhere less windy then chicago.

LonghornsLegend
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM

It's probably best he's not, he would of been the obvious choice and there wouldn't of been much thought, it's tougher when you take him out.

I'd probably go with Losman first, but none of these are options I would be trying to rely on, alot of these QB's had great defenses and just couldn't stop turning the ball over, so I'd hate to see Boller or Grossman on teams with bad defenses where they are expected to throw alot and make plays.

Losman needs good coaching, because he gets out of control, but I think if he had weapons around him and a good coach to settle him down he's halfway decent, at least to warm the spot until you develop a late round QB or another option.

Gay Ork Wang
02-12-2009, 09:03 AM
and yet people are picking david carr, who hasn't EVER been good and certainly hasn't shown any remote ability to play well in several years.

there are no good options in the list.
David Carr had a 144.1 rating this year!

Fogcity_faithful
02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I picked Boller, in part of my CAL homerism, also think that given a chance and some coaching could vastly improve. Now he wouldnt be a savior or anything of the sort. Ramsey was broken by Spurrier. JP and Rexy are too erratic.

Staubach12
02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I'll take Kyle Boller.

Philliez01
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I just said Joey Harrington just because I saw him buying Caramel Popcorn at Disney World and no one recognized him. For some reason, I laughed at that and felt the need to get an autograph. Nice guy though.

But these guys are only a notch above Jonathon Quinn level.

BeerBaron
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I just said Joey Harrington just because I saw him buying Caramel Popcorn at Disney World and no one recognized him. For some reason, I laughed at that and felt the need to get an autograph. Nice guy though.

But these guys are only a notch above Jonathon Quinn level.

As a Bears fan I forbid you from ever mentioning the Medicine Man ever again!

Philliez01
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
As a Bears fan I forbid you from ever mentioning the Medicine Man ever again!

Sincerest apologies, man. That was way out of line.

However, with the last mention of him in NFLDC history, he may have been part of the WORST QB matchup in a Thanksgiving Day Game ever. It makes you thankful for ecstacy.

BeerBaron
02-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Sincerest apologies, man. That was way out of line.

However, with the last mention of him in NFLDC history, he may have been part of the WORST QB matchup in a Thanksgiving Day Game ever. It makes you thankful for ecstacy.

Haha....Vinny/Drew vs. Quinn/Krenzel right? none of the threw for over 100 yards and I think each may have thrown a pick.....that was a bad time, haha.

Philliez01
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Haha....Vinny/Drew vs. Quinn/Krenzel right? none of the threw for over 100 yards and I think each may have thrown a pick.....that was a bad time, haha.

It may have even been Hutchinson and Drew Henson! Ugh...why NFL must you employ them. Though no one really expected Henson to be THAT bad.

BeerBaron
02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
It may have even been Hutchinson and Drew Henson! Ugh...why NFL must you employ them. Though no one really expected Henson to be THAT bad.

I'm pretty sure it was Vinny and Henson....I think it may have been towards the end of that year that WE signed Hutch. Cause the next year we drafted Orton, Rexy got hurty (again) Hutch SUCKED in the preseason, got cut, Orton took over as starter for 15 games.

Bucs_Rule
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Despite being busts most of those guys will be decent backups. If one has to be your starter your likely be in good position to draft a future QB early at the draft.

diabsoule
02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I can't believe 22 people voted for the sex cannon.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I can't believe 22 people voted for the sex cannon.

if these guys all want him:

"B-Dawk, Basileus777, BNad, CC.SD, cdub11, DeathbyStat, Donno, fischbowl, *** Ork Wang, Geo, Im_a_Romosexual, Mr.Regular, NickCollins36, novembrefluo, P-L, RaiderNation, sbh15, stephenson86, Thunder&Lightning, umphrey, wicket, WinslowBodden"

They can freakin' have him. Get your team's cheerleaders wet as can be boys!

http://slumz.boxden.com/showthread.php?t=852318

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 12:47 AM
if these guys all want him:

"B-Dawk, Basileus777, BNad, CC.SD, cdub11, DeathbyStat, Donno, fischbowl, *** Ork Wang, Geo, Im_a_Romosexual, Mr.Regular, NickCollins36, novembrefluo, P-L, RaiderNation, sbh15, stephenson86, Thunder&Lightning, umphrey, wicket, WinslowBodden"

They can freakin' have him. Get your team's cheerleaders wet as can be boys!

http://slumz.boxden.com/showthread.php?t=852318

And what the heck are you doing on that list *** Ork Wang? Your a Bears fan man! Act like it!! You don't want to be anywhere near Rexy!

MetSox17
02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Give me David Carr.

For three years he was steadily improving in Houston before they got rid of him. Everyone who watched knows the first few years of his Texans days were just putrid playing behind the worst offensive line in football. He completed close to 70% of his passes his last year there, and has always thrown a very nice deep ball.

Out of all the guys, he shined the most with the least supporting cast around him.

Gay Ork Wang
02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
And what the heck are you doing on that list *** Ork Wang? Your a Bears fan man! Act like it!! You don't want to be anywhere near Rexy!
haha, i still think Grossman is better than the ones up there.

Brodeur
02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Give me David Carr.

For three years he was steadily improving in Houston before they got rid of him. Everyone who watched knows the first few years of his Texans days were just putrid playing behind the worst offensive line in football. He completed close to 70% of his passes his last year there, and has always thrown a very nice deep ball.

Out of all the guys, he shined the most with the least supporting cast around him.

And then you look at his 2007 season with the Panthers...

Gay Ork Wang
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
ha i mean Vinny Testaverde beat him out

BBIB
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
BYron Leftwich is the best

A Perfect Score
02-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Kyle Boller! I still dont know why he hasnt put it all together...6'3, 230, ran a 4.61 or something ridiculous like that, and isnt a dumb guy by any means. Hes got talent in there somewhere, he just needs someone to bring it out.

MetSox17
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
68% of his passes for the 6th worst average per attempt. hooray, he could hit a running back out of the backfield less than 3/4 of the time. :rolleyes:

Well what does that say about the rest of the league, that 5 guys playing quarterback were worse than David Carr, who played on the crappiest team in football all his career?

Just wondering as to how many Texans games you got to see while David Carr played?

And then you look at his 2007 season with the Panthers...
ha i mean Vinny Testaverde beat him out

And i'm sure his back injuries throughout the whole year had NOTHING to do with that.

Philliez01
02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Well what does that say about the rest of the league, that 5 guys playing quarterback were worse than David Carr, who played on the crappiest team in football all his career?

Just wondering as to how many Texans games you got to see while David Carr played?

I like David Carr the person, but watching those games all you saw were screens to Domanick Davis or short slants to Andre Johnson.

Granted, Carr never had a #2 guy outside of the one year of the RB Formerly Known as Domanick Davis but he often looked like Bledsoe. Carr was/is a good athlete, but the man couldn't sense the pocket collapsing and it looked like his feet were made of stone.

The Texans OL was not good, don't get me wrong, but Carr was a bit too blame for the sack total. Then again, it was probably muscle memory of just getting sacked.

MetSox17
02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I like David Carr the person, but watching those games all you saw were screens to Domanick Davis or short slants to Andre Johnson.

Granted, Carr never had a #2 guy outside of the one year of the RB Formerly Known as Domanick Davis but he often looked like Bledsoe. Carr was/is a good athlete, but the man couldn't sense the pocket collapsing and it looked like his feet were made of stone.

The Texans OL was not good, don't get me wrong, but Carr was a bit too blame for the sack total. Then again, it was probably muscle memory of just getting sacked.

Why do you think there was so many screens and short routes ran in Houston those days? Do you think the coaching staff was about to allow Carr to take a 5 or 7 step drop with that offensive line? Teams would blitz relentlessly against Houston, because no one could block for him. Like every quarterback, there were times he was to blame for sacks, but about 8/10ths of the sacks given up i'd put on the OL.

Cigaro
02-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Give me David Carr.

You forgot to mention how he played worse than Delhomme did versus the Cardinals once he landed in Carolina. Guy sucks, plain and simple. And he sucked before the back injury, so don't bring that up.

Philliez01
02-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Why do you think there was so many screens and short routes ran in Houston those days? Do you think the coaching staff was about to allow Carr to take a 5 or 7 step drop with that offensive line? Teams would blitz relentlessly against Houston, because no one could block for him. Like every quarterback, there were times he was to blame for sacks, but about 8/10ths of the sacks given up i'd put on the OL.

Offensive line looked slightly better with Sage Rosenfels in there....not calling him Messiah and yes, I'm completely aware sometimes backup QBs just have crazy luck but still....

Brodeur
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
And i'm sure his back injuries throughout the whole year had NOTHING to do with that.

Stephen Hawking could have played better in 2007 than David Carr did.

art vandelay
02-20-2009, 09:16 PM
JP Losman was absolutely awful this season. Indescribably bad. His best throw all year was a bomb to Lee Evans that he underthrew about 20 yards. Lee is a beast so he caught it anyway.

Losman was benched for Gibran Hamdan towards the end of the year. Hamdan was named the starter if Trent Edwards wasn't back from injury. It was brutal watching Bills game with JP at the helm. Honestly it was worse than the Rob Johnson and Billy Joe Hobert days. Based on his play last season, I don't even think Losman could cut it in the CFL.