PDA

View Full Version : NFL Players You Would Take #1 in the Draft

TACKLE
02-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Here's the scenario. Who are the player in the NFL who would be worth taking with the #1 pick in the draft? Their are big factors like age but things like injuries and position value all play a part. Don't really need to include team. It's more about players who are worth that selection

For me it would be:

Matt Ryan - very young, proven QB who showed a lot in his rookie year.

Mario Williams - Has lived up to his #1 pick, still young at 24 years old

Calvin Johnson - The most gifted athlete in the NFL, has his best years ahead of him at 23.

Justin Tuck - A guy capable of being one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. A physical freak who has SB experience and is still 25.

Adrian Peterson - RB's usually have a short life span and AD is a bit injury prone. Still, he's only going into third season at 23 and he is the undisputed best RB in the NFL. He is something that doesn't come around very often. His ability outweighs that question marks.

Post your own.

brat316
02-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, James Harrison, Larry Fitz. Basically anyone who is dominating the league right now and isn't a douche.

wicket
02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
philip rivers is still your enough imo

BuddyCHRIST
02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I still think Peyton and Brady have to get alot of looks, even after 30 these guys have atleast 6 great years left. Since you have Tuck I think you have to include Merriman as well as he's only 24 (hard to believe) if he comes off his injury fine. I'd take guys like Cutler, Rodgers and Rivers over Matt Ryan as well. If this was an actual number 1 pick out of anyone in the league you definitely have to go with a QB, and I'd probably go with Brady as he's 2 years younger than Manning.

TACKLE
02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
I still think Peyton and Brady have to get alot of looks, even after 30 these guys have atleast 6 great years left. Since you have Tuck I think you have to include Merriman as well as he's only 24 (hard to believe) if he comes off his injury fine.

The thing is, how often to players come off ACL tears and play a the same or higher level? Especially players who rely heavily on explosiveness. While Merriman is only 24 that's what prevented me from putting him up there.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I think Demarcus Ware deserves a mention. He's still young and he was damn near the sack record last year. I think he would definitely be considered if you were runninga 3-4, and even if you weren't I think he could handle himself in a 4-3 as well.

fenikz
02-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Larry Fitzgerald

Michigan
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I'd gladly trade the Lions' #1 pick for any of the following:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Larry Fitzgerald
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Joe Thomas
Michael Roos
Mario Williams
Albert Haynesworth
DeMarcus Ware
Nnamdi Asomougha

I'd also give a long look to Phillip Rivers and even Eli Manning.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Larry Fitzgerald

Gonna have Matt Leinart throw him the football? ;p

BlindSite
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Larry Fitzgerald
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Joe Thomas
Michael Roos
Mario Williams
Albert Haynesworth
DeMarcus Ware
Nnamdi Asomougha

With Manning, Roethlisberger and Cutler, you'd have to have Rivers in there, he was one of the top 3 QBs last year and not just statistically.

Michigan
02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
With Manning, Roethlisberger and Cutler, you'd have to have Rivers in there, he was one of the top 3 QBs last year and not just statistically.

He's definitely an elite QB, but I'm not sure he has the attitude I want in a QB (arguably the most visible figure in the entire organization). Peyton Manning is a douche too, but a lot more mature than Rivers is.

JonasBlane
02-13-2009, 03:25 PM
QB's - Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler.
RB's - Adrian Peterson
WR's - Calvin Johnson
OL - Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady
TE - None
DL - Mario Williams
LB - Patrick Willis
DB - Nnamdi Asomougha

Given the choice of all the players, I think Mario Williams might be my #1 choice.

HawkeyeFan
02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Steven Jackson
Mario Williams
Justin Tuck
Matt Ryan
Big Ben
Fitz
Andre Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Demarcus Ware
Aaron Rodgers
Deangelo Williams
Albert Haynsworth
Nmadi
Troy Polomalu
Adrian Wilson

GB12
02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler
Philip Rivers
Matt Ryan
Ben Roethlisberger
Tony Romo
Eli Manning
Adrian Peterson
Steven Jackson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Joe Thomas
Jammal Brown
David Diehl
Marcus McNiel
Michael Roos
Tony Ugoh
Ryan Clady
Kevin Williams
Albert Haynesworth
Tommie Harris
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Mario Williams
Justin Tuck
Osi Umenyiora
Jared Allen
DeMarcus Ware
Shawne Merriman
Terrell Suggs
Nnamdi Asomugha
Ed Reed
Laron Landry
Troy Polamalu

Just to name a few

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Kyle Boller!!!!

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Haloti Ngata's name hasnt been mentioned? True, all these other great names probably are better than him, but I think he deserves a mention. Hehe :D

I'd probably take Ben Roethlisberger, proven winner, manages to make plays under impossible conditions, hard to bring down and just a tough SOB.

PACKmanN
02-13-2009, 03:46 PM
1. Mario Williams
2. Joe Thomas
3. Jay Cutler
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Michael Roos

my top 5 of who.

GB12
02-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Haloti Ngata's name hasnt been mentioned? True, all these other great names probably are better than him, but I think he deserves a mention. Hehe :D
Incorrect.
Haloti Ngata

d34ng3l021
02-13-2009, 04:47 PM
If I were to think of this as an expansion draft, then here are the players I would take:

Matt Ryan (obviously)
Aaron Rodgers
Phillip Rivers
Jay Cutler
Ben Roethlisberger
Adrian Peterson
Michael Roos
Ryan Clady
Jake Long
Mario Williams
Haloti Ngata
DeMarcus Ware

QBs, a great RB, LTs, DL, and a pass rusher. Those are the players I would build my team around.

eaglesalltheway
02-13-2009, 04:51 PM

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Larry Fitzgerald
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Joe Thomas
Michael Roos
Mario Williams
Albert Haynesworth
DeMarcus Ware
Nnamdi Asomougha

Since you basically covered all the guys I would've mentioned, I'll bold my favorites...And add one more...

Patrick Willis. The centerpiece of a defense for the foreseeable future.

JRTPlaya21
02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Peterson, Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, Ryan, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin, Haynesworth, Ware, Ed Reed & Cutler.

Ravens1991
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I would go either Oline,Dline or possibly LB. No way I would consider Fitz. Yes he is the best WR out there but if you don't have a o-line for the QB or a iffy QB a average game he will touch the ball about 5 times and 2-3 of those times would be significant plays.

Gay Ork Wang
02-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Nnamdi and Joe Thomas

RaiderNation
02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Peyton Manning, Nnamdi Asomugha, Ed Reed, Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, DeMarcus Ware should all get considered.

JonasBlane
02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Ed Reed is amazing and all... But trading a #1 overall pick for a soon to be 31 year old safety?

TACKLE
02-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm surprised that so many people are picking Peyton Manning. I mean I know he is Peyton freaking Manning but he's almost 33 and he's going into his 12th season. Your only only to get at most probably 5 more years out of him.

d34ng3l021
02-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Peyton Manning has another 6-7 years in him. If Kurt Warner and Brett Farve can play until the age of 39, Peyton Manning can as well. The best part of his game is his football IQ and that won't be diminished by age.

kalbears13
02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Brady...(but here's the twist)...Quinn

GET LOOSE
02-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Dam Im surprised no one has said Darrell Revis.

QB) Jay Cutler
FB) Greg Jones
HB) AP
WR) Calivin Johnson
TE) Jason Witten (maybe Dustin Keller)
OT) Joe Thomas
OG) Davin Joseph
C) Nick Mangold
DE) Mario Williams
DT) Kevin Williams
OLB) Demarcus Ware
ILB) Patrick Willis