PDA

View Full Version : Goodell cuts his pay by 25 percent

Splat
02-14-2009, 10:00 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

In a move that is hardly symbolic given the dollars involved, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has cut his 2008 pay by up to 25 percent, and he'll not accept a raise for 2009.

Since Goodell's total pay for the 2008 fiscal year, which ends March 31, the cut translates to well over $2 million.

Think about that for a second. Goodell gave up voluntarily well over $2 million.

"The Commissioner believes it will take a collective sacrifice of everyone to get through this difficult economic environment," NFL V.P. of corporate communications Brian McCarthy told USA Today.

We'll be curious to see who else, if anyone, makes a $2 million sacrifice.

Matthew Jones
02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Damn, that's impressive. Props to him on that. I doubt he needs $2 million though.

Splat
02-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Damn, that's impressive. Props to him on that. I doubt he needs $2 million though.

True but it is still a pretty cool move in my book.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe it will convince Ray Lewis to take less money so we can keep all our LB's :)

tjsunstein
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Obviously he doesnt need it if he cut it from his own pay. This just tells you how effed the economy is, a guy of this magnitude can afford to give up 2 million dollars despite what is happening.

Shane P. Hallam
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I think it is a BOLD act by him. You don't see Selig doing this, oh no. That 2 million dollars saved a bunch of jobs in the NFL I bet. I definitely respect him.

wicket
02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
jeah i can respect this

Iamcanadian
02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe he was worried that his salary was no longer acceptable by a lot of owners who have suffered set backs in their own businesses. Maybe he was afraid they'd look for somebody cheaper so he acted to insure his job???
We'll never know but I suspect that he had other motives besides just giving up 2 million dollars on a whim.

Splat
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Maybe he was worried that his salary was no longer acceptable by a lot of owners who have suffered set backs in their own businesses. Maybe he was afraid they'd look for somebody cheaper so he acted to insure his job???
We'll never know but I suspect that he had other motives besides just giving up 2 million dollars on a whim.

I'm sure he did have other motives but I really don't think fear of losing his job was one of them.

Iamcanadian
02-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm sure he did have other motives but I really don't think fear of losing his job was one of them.

Well, you never know what is happening inside the NFL. We have no idea how many owners are feeling the pinch due to the economy, how much money they have lost on advertising revenue, merchandise sales etc. etc.
There could have been immense pressure on him to accept a lower salary and he is just making the best of a tough situation. We'll never know.

The Unseen
02-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Good move, albeit it's mostly symbolic.

Gay Ork Wang
02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
its a nice move.

Brent
02-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Two million is only 25% of his pay?

...He must earn his salary through players' fines! Any one? No?

Bucs_Rule
02-14-2009, 11:51 AM
This is a big move by him, bigger than all those CEOs that agree to cut their salaries to one dollar. With those CEOs they will make a fortune from stock options, they get the option to buy a lot of stock at this years price 2 years from now. The hidden benefit of the company stock collapsing.

Hurricanes25
02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I now have some respect for the guy

CashmoneyDrew
02-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Didn't he make 11 million last year? How is 2 million 25% of 11 million? Oh well, I doubt Selig and Stern would do this and I know Selig makes 23 million. Stern probably makes more than Goodell as well.

IceKubes
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Didn't he make 11 million last year? How is 2 million 25% of 11 million? Oh well, I doubt Selig and Stern would do this and I know Selig makes 23 million. Stern probably makes more than Goodell as well.

Selig's defense: "I don't commission less. So if I don't commission less I don't take less!"

Babylon
02-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Now owners should scale back ticket prices for Joe Six-pack.

Strongside
02-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Some of you guys are trying to hate Goodell too much, I don't like him either, but this was a good gesture by him.

benchod
02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
This was basically his gesture to have everyone agree to sacrifice something with the coming renegotiation of the labor agreement.

The owners are already complaining and the chances of a season with no salary cap/work stoppage are increasing with the economy in the crapper

HellonEarth84
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Whatever the case, it's a stand up move and gained some respect for Goddell.

eaglesalltheway
02-14-2009, 02:20 PM
I've always had respect for Goddell, though he does go a bit over the top soemtimes, and this move by him makes me respect him more.

And I doubt any other comissioner does this. Selig is a...uhh don't even get me started.

Shahin
02-14-2009, 03:05 PM
He's still a jackass and doesn't even deserve to get paid in excess of 2 million dollars in the first place, in my opinion.

tjsunstein
02-14-2009, 03:12 PM
He's still a jackass and doesn't even deserve to get paid in excess of 2 million dollars in the first place, in my opinion.

Explain...

Sniper
02-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Selig made $18.5 million in '07. Dunno about '08. Scott Van Pelt got suspended for criticizing how much Selig made.

O8ChNQWHZGg

JRTPlaya21
02-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Always liked the NFL commish better then Selig or Stern. Don't get my started on Bettman.

Shahin
02-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Explain...

I just don't like the way he handles some situations. Sometimes he handles an issue with force, and he lets other people walk away easy. The first thing that jumps to mind is Odell Thurman and how he handled that so badly, while Pacman is still runnin' around the league.

Edit: That isn't to say that I don't think Pacman deserves a spot in the NFL (I think the guy is hilarious), but Goodell was way too forceful with Thurman.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-14-2009, 03:47 PM
How hard it must be to survive off only 6 million dollars a year for a highly administrative job.

Bud Selig makes almost 20 million dollars a year? Are you ******* kidding me? That totally ridiculous.

d34ng3l021
02-14-2009, 03:47 PM
That is nice of him and all, but the first thing I thought of was the fact that $2 million was 25% of his pay.

Salaries in the NFL are ridiculous. I don't understand how back up NFL players make twice as much as some doctors.

Mr. Stiller
02-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah. Another point when Percentages "sound" Big.

The CEO cut 50% of his pay, now he's only making 18 Million dollars.

However this is the first thing he's done that I've liked.

someone447
02-14-2009, 04:11 PM
That is nice of him and all, but the first thing I thought of was the fact that $2 million was 25% of his pay.

Salaries in the NFL are ridiculous. I don't understand how back up NFL players make twice as much as some doctors.

Supply and demand. Many, many, many people can become doctors, not as many can become NFL players.

As another comparison, which do you think is more important, a lawyer or a sanitation worker? Obviously it is a sanitation worker, otherwise the streets would be filled with trash and the like. But damn near anyone can be a sanitation worker, and there are people who can't be a lawyer. So lawyers get paid more. People don't get paid according to the importance of their work, they get paid according to how many people can do their job.

The Unseen
02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Supply and demand. Many, many, many people can become doctors, not as many can become NFL players.

As another comparison, which do you think is more important, a lawyer or a sanitation worker? Obviously it is a sanitation worker, otherwise the streets would be filled with trash and the like. But damn near anyone can be a sanitation worker, and there are people who can't be a lawyer. So lawyers get paid more. People don't get paid according to the importance of their work, they get paid according to how many people can do their job.

That, and the fact that the NFL makes alot of money because it's a popular product. The collective history of all professional sporting leagues has been mired with low pay and financial woe. Basically, the money's gotta go somewhere.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes, but unfortunately the salaries and cap increases are being driving ticket and merchandise prices rather the other way around now.

Stash
02-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Sure it's a nice gesture, but I get the feeling it was a bit of a publicity stunt. I'd be willing to bet that if the media hadn't started all the "Bud Selig is way overpaid" talk, Goodell would not have done this. It makes him look like a saint to some while making other commissioners look greedy. Out of curiosity, anyone know where the money goes? Are the owners the ones who pay his salary? I doubt any of the billionaire owners are in need of a little extra cash.

HawkeyeFan
02-15-2009, 02:14 AM
He earns more respect from me, as much as he frustrates me, that's awesome that he did this.

Now let's see Bud Selig do this.

Bengalsrocket
02-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Sure it's a nice gesture, but I get the feeling it was a bit of a publicity stunt. I'd be willing to bet that if the media hadn't started all the "Bud Selig is way overpaid" talk, Goodell would not have done this. It makes him look like a saint to some while making other commissioners look greedy. Out of curiosity, anyone know where the money goes? Are the owners the ones who pay his salary? I doubt any of the billionaire owners are in need of a little extra cash.

Well idk. I'm not an accountant for a NFL team so I can't throw around any numbers, but think how much is costs to just pay the team, staff and maintenance of a stadium, advertisement etc.

I'm not saying owners are going around panhandling for change or anything :P, it's very possible their lifestyle doesn't even change. However, I'd bet money that their franchises are running slightly different with the economy this way.

However, 2 million dollars divided amongst 32 teams is not going to change anything :P

Saints-Tigers
02-15-2009, 03:00 AM
He'll make that back fining guys who breathe on QB's.

Addict
02-15-2009, 08:29 AM
it's a nice gesture, PR-stunt maybe, but all the hate isn't fair here. It doesn't really matter if you like the guy, it's a nice gesture to cut your own pay by any amount.

And he makes a lot of money, yeah. So what? Good for him, don't hate the guy, hate the system.

FlyingElvis
02-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Wow! Good for Goodell. How do we +Rep the **** out of him??

Love him or hate him, the guy is trying to clean up the image of the NFL, which is a good thing. I think he is over the top with the fines & continuation of the "No Fun League" rules, but he clearly "gets it" - which is far more than can be said for the majority of corporate America. Don't forget - he had reduced the prices on SB tix, too. The man is doing what he thinks is RIGHT. That, sadly, needs to be celebrated and used as an example in today's society because it is rare to see execs doing the right thing.

bigbluedefense
02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
This was a great move by Goodell. I don't care if 2 mill is nothing to him (its not btw, 25% of anyone's salary is a big donation), 2 mill is 2 mill no matter how you cut it.

I love Goodell, the only beef I have with him is how he micromanages too much sometimes, and his inconsistency with his punishments. But hey, at the end of the day, he's done more good than bad, and I think he'll be a great commissioner.

Basileus777
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
2 million is still a lot of money, but I had no idea he was this overpaid.

TitleTown088
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
OMGZ, he suspends to many players who do bad things that I want to see play.
Goodell is the best pro admin there is out there and He just took a pay cut for more money than I'll likely earn in my poverty stricken life. Impressive.