PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Jeff Garcia find a home?

Splat
02-17-2009, 09:21 AM
He is not a great QB but has been solid at times why he is alway looking for a new home?

Beans
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM
honestly i would like him to stay in tampa, i think he's been great for us, but there's not way that that relationship can be salvaged

Matthew Jones
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I think it's because while he can protect the ball and play efficient football, he's not really a franchise guy in terms of going out and winning your team games. He's more someone who won't lose you one. I think he is a starting quarterback but he has also had some clashes with Tampa Bay, etc. that might make it hard for him to get another job.

Cicero
02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Because he's not very good.

Ness
02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
His home should have been with the 49ers, but Terry Donahue and the terrible cap situation basically destroyed that dream back in 2003.

Splat
02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Because he's not very good.

25,537 yards 161 TD's

Cicero
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
25,537 yards 161 TD's

No wayz....

NY+Giants=NYG
02-17-2009, 09:40 AM
25,537 yards 161 TD's

How many other WCO offense teams are there? He went from Philly to TB and was a 49er. I guess Seattle would be an option as a backup, since Matt H. is there. But other than that, I am not sure how many WCO offense teams there are.

Everytime I look at your avatar pic, I keep seeing Tony Soprano! lol.

Splat
02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
No wayz....

Yes wayz....

Cicero
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Too bad he is worthless in the 4th quarter and the red zone, never throws the ball downfield even when AB and Clayton are wide open (due to both bad judgment and lack of arm strength), scrambles into sacks, abandons the pocket for no reason too early, and has a horrible ego

ElectricEye
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Because he's old and he doesn't win you games. Your team won't get any better under Garcia. It just won't get any worse. That's valuable sometimes, but ideally you want a guy who actually does something and can grow with your team. Garcia is what he is and he might not be that for very much longer.

umphrey
02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
He succeeds everywhere he goes, but he's too old now. In order to start he'll have to find a good team looking for a short term stop-gap at QB (good luck, good teams usually aren't looking for QBs).

MetSox17
02-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Because he's no good anymore.

/thread.

Favre4
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
strangely similar to doug flutie....

TitleTown088
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Not too many places these days for Ginger ( nonday-walker might I add) metrosexuals. I think his best bet was SF.

umphrey
02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
strangely similar to doug flutie....

Flutie was the man

Borat
02-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Obviously, he needs a better real estate agent.

gpngc
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Too bad he is worthless in the 4th quarter and the red zone, never throws the ball downfield even when AB and Clayton are wide open (due to both bad judgment and lack of arm strength), scrambles into sacks, abandons the pocket for no reason too early, and has a horrible ego

There is one clear falsehood in this statement....

Michael Clayton is never wide open.

Stash
02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
He succeeds everywhere he goes, but he's too old now. In order to start he'll have to find a good team looking for a short term stop-gap at QB (good luck, good teams usually aren't looking for QBs).
Garcia sucked in CLE and DET. He succeeds on teams that run the WCO, he's a system QB. The Niners made a mistake by getting rid of him and keeping TO. I think the reason he can't stick anywhere now is because of his age. Nobody wants to build a team around a 38 yr old QB.

ShyneQuasiOG22
02-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Does he not seem perfect for Minnesota? They desperately need a game management QB and while I don't know what offense they run he did work with Childress in Philly with some success. It just seems like too perfect a fit.

gramage
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
He's small, injury prone, steaky, old, only works in one system, his arm isn't that good and his teams have missed the playoffs as/more often then they've made it.

Go_Eagles77
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Does he not seem perfect for Minnesota? They desperately need a game management QB and while I don't know what offense they run he did work with Childress in Philly with some success. It just seems like too perfect a fit.

Garcia/Childress weren't on the eagles at the same time.

Brodeur
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Non-Heterosexual Zorro is still a better QB than Brian Griese.

GB12
02-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Unless they get Matt Cassel, the Vikings have to sign him.

Menardo75
02-17-2009, 03:30 PM

I totally agree 100%

russie
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I totally agree 100%

so do i. garcia would actually be an addition to a potent offense, and might be good enough to tip the scales in the vikes favor. it would be a good situation for tarvaris also, because even though he has all the tools, he still needs time to put it all together

gramage
02-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Vikings make the most sense, but don't a huge improvement. He's better then what they have but he's still only average at this point in his career.

brat316
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Garcia probably will end up with the Vikings, they just need someone to manage the game and convert on 3rd downs.

Then again the Jets could take interest in him, they have 3 young qbs and maybe be looking to win now.

russie
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Vikings make the most sense, but don't a huge improvement. He's better then what they have but he's still only average at this point in his career.

an average qb playing with the best running back in the nfl should be able to do enough to bring them to the next level. if peterson can win games with the crap we have called quarterbacks the past few years, then a competent qb should do wonders

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
If the Vikings run a WCO offense or anything similar then I think Garcia would be a good fit for them. Add a good defense and good running game, and I think it's an interesting situation to bring him in.

Brothgar
02-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Vikes + Garcia = instant NFC North Favorites (to be second to the Lions :p )

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Garcia is likely looking for a decent amount of money (at least $3.5mm) and probably a 2 year deal. For a 37 year-old QB, that's a lot to ask. In addition, there are other QB's out there on the trade market (like Derek Anderson), who could be a nice add with more upside and value than Garcia. For all the money you're paying Garcia, he hasn't proven he can hold up for a full 16 game season.

So, for your investment, you're getting a very good veteran QB who is a winner in a WCO. At the same time, he breaks down every year, is 37, and he's asking for a pretty large amount in salary. With the economic climate, is that worth it to the NFL owners? Probably, but are they going to jump right in before cuts and the combine? Likely not.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Garcia is likely looking for a decent amount of money (at least $3.5mm) and probably a 2 year deal. For a 37 year-old QB, that's a lot to ask. In addition, there are other QB's out there on the trade market (like Derek Anderson), who could be a nice add with more upside and value than Garcia. For all the money you're paying Garcia, he hasn't proven he can hold up for a full 16 game season.

So, for your investment, you're getting a very good veteran QB who is a winner in a WCO. At the same time, he breaks down every year, is 37, and he's asking for a pretty large amount in salary. With the economic climate, is that worth it to the NFL owners? Probably, but are they going to jump right in before cuts and the combine? Likely not.

Yeah but if you're the Vikings, the thought process would be that we are 1 peice away from going to the superbowl. We have the defense, we have the running game, and now we need a guy who can lead this offense. The eagles and Vikings were in stalemate for a good portion of the game, and Jackson just couldn't lead his offense down the field to get into FG range.

So if I am in the Vikings, I would think yeah that would be alot of money for him, but hopefully that 1 peice gets us to where we want to be.. the superbowl.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm with you on that. The Vikings should consider it strongly. I'm just saying that he hasn't signed yet and probably won't sign immediately because teams will wait it out a bit.

Brothgar
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah but if you're the Vikings, the thought process would be that we are 1 peice away from going to the superbowl. We have the defense, we have the running game, and now we need a guy who can lead this offense. The eagles and Vikings were in stalemate for a good portion of the game, and Jackson just couldn't lead his offense down the field to get into FG range.

So if I am in the Vikings, I would think yeah that would be alot of money for him, but hopefully that 1 peice gets us to where we want to be.. the superbowl.

That's true and that frees up the furst round draft pick I'd trade 3.5 Mil for a first round pick. Sanchez and Freeman aren't NFL ready QBs they are going to have to sit a while. Cassel might be Scott Mitchel you never know AND Garcia worked with Chilly so it seems like a no brainer to me

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
That's true and that frees up the furst round draft pick I'd trade 3.5 Mil for a first round pick. Sanchez and Freeman aren't NFL ready QBs they are going to have to sit a while. Cassel might be Scott Mitchel you never know AND Garcia worked with Chilly so it seems like a no brainer to me

The key will be the system for future QBs. You need to get a QB that fits the parameters of the WCO, of the Vikings do in fact plan on keeping Childress there for a while. I think Garcia is a good stop gap for now.

Almost every QB is a system QB in essence. Qbs who do well do well because of their natural ability and how they fit the system tailored to them.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Garcia and Cassel both have WCO knowledge. Anderson is much less likely. I see him going to the Jets or Chiefs (they are the faves IMO). They key with Cassel is the draft pick compensation. Garcia is a perfect stopgap for them. I don't want to see it because the Vikes are really dangerous with a competent QB...

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Garcia and Cassel both have WCO knowledge. Anderson is much less likely. I see him going to the Jets or Chiefs (they are the faves IMO). They key with Cassel is the draft pick compensation. Garcia is a perfect stopgap for them. I don't want to see it because the Vikes are really dangerous with a competent QB...

I doubt think it's smart to sell away picks for Cassel. I would rather get Garcia as a QB, and use those picks to help out the offense or defense even more. That's the key, always keep building.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I think NE is going to get bitten a bit by the Cassel franchise. It is an excellent insurance policy, but I think he'll be a huge dollar backup. I doubt many teams are going to strike a big deal for draft picks and then another big dollar deal on a contract for Cassel. NE isn't 100% to find its asking price met, so they might just hang onto him. For teams that aren't likely to win in 2009, they might just wait a year and try to grab Cassel in FA anyway.

Again, for the Vikings, a cheap Garcia contract is probably a great bet for them.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
That's the thing with Cassel though. A team better run the same passing concepts and system as he ran in NE. Otherwise your paying for a players production in another system and hoping it translates to your own. So i'd be alittle worried about that part.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
If you have that OLine (when healthy), ADP, and that good enough WR corps, you can adjust your system. If you bring in a guy for that money, he'd better fit what you're really trying to do...

Crickett
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Non-Heterosexual Zorro is still a better QB than Brian Griese.

George Hamilton is a better QB than Brian Griese? :confused:

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
If you have that OLine (when healthy), ADP, and that good enough WR corps, you can adjust your system. If you bring in a guy for that money, he'd better fit what you're really trying to do...

You can adjust it but it also depends on what system you had in place to begin with. Easier said that done. Say if Cassel didn't know anything about the WCO offense, now you have to educate him on it. He has to master the terminology, and all the reads for that system. If you tweak the WCO offense for Cassel then other factors come into play.

How does that effect your pass protection and blitz pickup?

How many plays get tweaked?

Does your sight adjustments get changed too?

What routes get changed?

What about progressions?

Now you gotta get everyone to remember all the new stuff. So in theory it sounds easy but there are alot of other variables.

Brodeur
02-18-2009, 11:57 AM
George Hamilton is a better QB than Brian Griese? :confused:

http://cdn.kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com-s1.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/gayzorro.jpg

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
You can adjust it but it also depends on what system you had in place to begin with. Easier said that done. Say if Cassel didn't know anything about the WCO offense, now you have to educate him on it. He has to master the terminology, and all the reads for that system. If you tweak the WCO offense for Cassel then other factors come into play.

How does that effect your pass protection and blitz pickup?

How many plays get tweaked?

Does your sight adjustments get changed too?

What routes get changed?

What about progressions?

Now you gotta get everyone to remember all the new stuff. So in theory it sounds easy but there are alot of other variables.

What I'm saying is that they have to be damn sure if they're investing multiple draft picks and probably $25mm guaranteed...

NY+Giants=NYG
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
What I'm saying is that they have to be damn sure if they're investing multiple draft picks and probably $25mm guaranteed...

Yeah they would have to be damn sure to do that, which is why if I am the Vikings I would shy away from that.

Ness
02-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Garcia's sack percentage is actually pretty decent career wise. Not sure about this past year in Tampa Bay, but he's been pretty solid in the 4th quarter. At least he was with us.

The Legend
02-19-2009, 05:51 AM
In his last 30 starts he has thrown 10 interceptions quite impressive
But he hasnt finshed a season in 6 years
and 35 touchdowns in 30 games isn't that great
he would be great with a team with a run game and a defense.
I think the Vikings should go after him they have that.

vikes_28
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
an average qb playing with the best running back in the nfl should be able to do enough to bring them to the next level. if peterson can win games with the crap we have called quarterbacks the past few years, then a competent qb should do wonders

If Garcia is average than Jackson must be....umm, nevermind I will refrain from discouraging myself more :(

Ness
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
In his last 30 starts he has thrown 10 interceptions quite impressive
But he hasnt finshed a season in 6 years
and 35 touchdowns in 30 games isn't that great
he would be great with a team with a run game and a defense.
I think the Vikings should go after him they have that.

Well Garcia has basically been a backup since his stint with Detroit. Or was considered one due to his lack of success there. However, when given a chance in the right system he's proved to be a capable starter. He hasn't really "not finished a season" due to extensive injuries.

Cicero
02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Garcia's sack percentage is actually pretty decent career wise. Not sure about this past year in Tampa Bay, but he's been pretty solid in the 4th quarter. At least he was with us.

He was the 30th ranked QB in the fourth quarter.

awfullyquiet
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Brad Childress ran WCO with Andy Reid.

Andy Reid ran WCO with Jeff Garcia.

Childress falls in the stupid mold of Reid disciples of WCO... But Garcia would fit in all to perfectly there.

Ness
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
He was the 30th ranked QB in the fourth quarter.

This past season? Because last season in the fourth quarter he was pretty decent for the Buccaneers if I recall. I know with Philadelphia he was dynamite too. With us he was decent at least in the 4th.

DiG
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
he's welcome in DC as far as im concerned. the skins need to fix the trenches but the one thing that would make me happiest would be to sign garcia and trade campbell.

Xonraider
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe because he is a ****?