PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Cut CB Dre' Bly

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eca402&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Sorry if this isn't "big enough" news to have its own thread. Bly used to be a big name corner, but now I guess he really taken a fall. I doubt he is still top 10. or even 15. Is a team likely to sign him?

tjsunstein
02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe as a nickel guy, teams will take a look.

Vox Populi
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
He'll definitely get looks as a starter. I doubt he finds a price tag he likes though.

ChiFan24
02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I doubt he is still top 10. or even 15.

Or top 30. Still, if Vontae Davis or D.J. Moore work out really well, they could come into play at #12.

GB12
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eca402&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Sorry if this isn't "big enough" news to have its own thread. Bly used to be a big name corner, but now I guess he really taken a fall. I doubt he is still top 10. or even 15. Is a team likely to sign him?
What do you mean still?

niel89
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
he is still a valuable player on some team. he'll find a team but he wont get much cash

jCut
02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Good riddance. The guy was outplayed by the likes of Josh Bell and Jack Williams. He might catch on as a veteran nickel guy somewhere.. And he could excel in that role.

the decider13
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I was hoping he would get cut...I was tired of watching him get burned.

WMD
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Dre Bly for George Foster and Tatum Bell...

Worst trade.. ever?

Thunder&Lightning
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Worst trade.. ever?

hahaha deff up there

MidwayMonster31
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Worst trade.. ever?I don't know which one's better, puke or crap.

TitleTown088
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Worst trade.. ever?
Was that really what it was? I thought I remember a 2nd rounder out there... Maybe Javon is creeping in my head again.

jth1331
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Man, I think its funny how much people dog on him. Lets not suggest that he had no help from the DL/LB/S and Champ was hurt a lot.
He isn't a #1 CB, but is a decent #2 and would be a great #3. For his price, he wasn't worth keeping though. $6 mil for an okay #2? No thanks.

GB12
02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Man, I think its funny how much people dog on him. Lets not suggest that he had no help from the DL/LB/S and Champ was hurt a lot.
He isn't a #1 CB, but is a decent #2 and would be a great #3. For his price, he wasn't worth keeping though. $6 mil for an okay #2? No thanks.
It's not just last year though. He was never that good.

CC.SD
02-18-2009, 01:23 AM
So if Raji is off the board and Jenkins has hung around, is he the pick over Maualuga/other? I think he might be, their safety corps is awful too just in case.

The Legend
02-18-2009, 03:17 AM
He should go back to the Lions or maybe sign with the Falcons I remembered he wanted to go there.

LonghornsLegend
02-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Denver is scrapping Defensive starters left and right, I think they are only down to 4 starters left...I think it's pretty obvious Free Agency and the Draft will be all about re-tooling on that side of the ball, but trying to find that many new starters in one off-season is going to be tough.

CT Bronco Fan
02-18-2009, 08:10 AM
hardly relevant. we could sign all new starters from UDFAs and it wouldn't be worse.

i've just got my fingers crossed that DJ is moved before this is all over.

he wouldn't be my pick at CB, but maybe if the idea was to move him to S? i'd have to go back and watch some tape.

DJ not going anywhere

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11726624

D.J.'s new deal helps with cap
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/18/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams had a $4.5 million roster bonus due March 2 that was converted into a more salary cap-friendly signing bonus, money guaranteed. (Getty Images)

By agreeing to change essentially one word in his contract, linebacker D.J. Williams provided the Broncos with $3.6 million in salary cap relief for the 2009 season.

In return, Williams was rewarded with the peace of mind that came when his bonus was transferred from possibility to certainty.

This is what the business side of sports calls a win-win.

Williams' $4.5 million roster bonus due by March 2 was converted into a signing bonus. Signing bonuses, unlike roster bonuses, can be prorated over the length of a contract, or five years in Williams' case.

The prorated portion of Williams' signing bonus comes out to $900,000 a year. There was no reason for Williams to hesitate over the change in contract language because his
Denver Broncos

signing bonus, unlike his roster bonus, became guaranteed.

Contracts could become a major order of business this week as the Broncos send their new management team of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders to the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. The combine begins today and runs through Tuesday.

Besides Williams' revised deal, the agents for center Casey Wiegmann and wide receiver Brandon Marshall are hoping the Broncos will be amenable to discussing contract extensions this week in Indianapolis. Wiegmann, who is to receive the veteran minimum $845,000 salary in 2009, and Marshall, who is scheduled to make $2.2 million, are in the final years of their contracts.

There had been preliminary discussions between their agents and Broncos executives Jim and Jeff Goodman, but the Goodmans were dismissed last week. Talks would have to begin anew with Xanders.

Financial commitments are part of every player evaluation, as was the case Monday when the Broncos cut six veterans, including defensive starters Dewayne Robertson, John Engelberger, Marquand Manuel and Jamie Winborn. The cuts generated $22.2 million in cap savings $16 million from Robertson alone.

The Broncos may also be facing a decision on outside linebacker Boss Bailey, who is due a $2 million roster bonus in early March. Bailey played well when healthy last season but suffered a season-ending injury in Week 7.

Among the Broncos expected to receive their respective roster bonuses due by March 2 are cornerback Champ Bailey ($2 million), guard Ben Hamilton ($500,000) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley ($500,000).

Matthew Jones
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't really be interested from New England's point of view. Anyone remember Fernando Bryant?

Vox Populi
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Whats the deal with DJ? The two Broncos games I saw he was making lots of plays on the ball carrier and in space. I saw him against Buffalo and Tampa.

jth1331
02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
DJ seemed to do alright early in the year, but he definitely is not worth the money he got in his contract. He, IMO, is an average LB in the NFL. The contract he got was highway robbery.

nepg
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't really be interested from New England's point of view. Anyone remember Fernando Bryant?

Bly could be Terrell Buckley or RW McQuarters if he embraced the nickel role. No shame in that at all... I've always liked Bly, but he's never had safety help...which both exposed him and helped him get paid because he just doesn't drop INT's (great hands, he did the Woodson/Bailey/McQuarters duty at UNC by playing both CB & WR on top of RS). He'd be an amazing nickelback.
________
Marijuana Card (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)