PDA

View Full Version : 2008 redraft discussion thread.

Halsey
02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok, so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while to debate who teams would pick in last's year's draft if they knew what they knew now. So pretend it's Draft day April 2008 and team's scouts have returned from a time machine to tell them who to pick based on what they know from today. I think this raises some interesting questions: Would the Dolphins still take Long or perhaps Matt Ryan instead? Maybe they might even decide Ryan Clady is a better long term OT than Long and take Clady #1. What about the first RB taken. Would it still be McFadden or perhaps someone like Chris Johnson would move way up the draft and be the first RB taken. Redraft as many picks as you like. The more the better.

Here's mine:

Miami Dolphins: Matt Ryan
Yeah, I know Long is good and the Dolphins are later able to sign Pennington, but Ryan has the potential to give Miami a superstar starting QB from more than a decade. You don't pass that up for an LT.

St Louis Rams: Ryan Clady
This is a tough one, but I think the Rams would go with Clady because he fits a major need and is younger with better upside than Jake Long. They might even consider Flacco because Bulger has played poorly the last couple of years, but they hope drafting Clady will help Bulger play better.

Atlanta Falcons: Joe Flacco
The Falcons lose out on Ryan, but get a fine young QB in Flacco as a consolation prize.

Oakland Raiders: Darren McFadden
The Raiders should take Jake Long here, but Al Davis is stubborn and they think McFadden will prove to be worth this pick in the end.

Kansas City Chiefs: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Yes, it can be argued that they would take Jake Long, but they have another pick at 15 and this draft was deep at OT. Cromartie is a fantastic talent and fits a need for the Chiefs.

N.Y. Jets: Chris Long
Another tough pick to call, but the Jets go with Chris Long to be what Vernon Gholston wasn't as a rookie. Long wasn't spectacular as a rookie, but he was solid and should make a good pro for a long time.

New Orleans: Glen Dorsey
The Saints choose to take Dorsey instead of repicking Ellis. Dorsey didn't set the world on fire as a rookie, but the Saints hope the home town favorite will be able to make more plays for them than he could as a rookie for KC.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Jake Long
The happiest team in the draft to be repicking. Harvey held out and then didn't make much of an impact as a rookie. Long fits a position that was even a need before the Jaguars lost a couple of players before the season.

Cincinnati Bengals: Chris Johnson
The Bengals have needs that could be argued as bigger than RB, but Johnson is a special talent with elite speed and good versatility.

New England Patriots: Jerod Mayo
There are some other guys that could be argued for here, but Mayo worked out pretty well for the Patriots, so they stick with him.

Ok, I'm gonna stop at the top 10...at least for now. This is obviously highly debateable and I look forward to being flamed....I mean having a discussion and seeing other people's redrafts.

Don Vito
02-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I am very happy with Mayo on the Pats, I wouldn't change the pick either. He is a stud already.

BeerBaron
02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I have the feeling that the Bears would have taken Forte in the first round if there was a redraft with what we know now.

He was way too important to our team to risk it on Chris Williams who didn't hardly play.

eaglesalltheway
I fell the same way about the Eagles with DeSean BB...

bored of education
Chris Long to KC. DRC? REALLY? Flowers had just as much of an impact. I would never change the Flowers pick. best pick by far for KC

Halsey
02-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Chris Long to KC. DRC? REALLY? Flowers had just as much of an impact. I would never change the Flowers pick. best pick by far for KC

The Chiefs took 2 CB's and they both played a lot, right? DRC is a pretty special looking CB from what I've seen. They could still take Flowers, but pass on Carr later.

bored of education
02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
The Chiefs took 2 CB's and they both played a lot, right? DRC is a pretty special looking CB from what I've seen. They could still take Flowers, but pass on Carr later.

Id rather Chris Long. Remember how many sacks KC had this past year. :)

scottyboy
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
hey lets base it off of one season! yea awesome!

i hate redrafts that occur within 2-3 years of a draft. It's dumb, one year isn't enough to see what the kid can do.

Michigan
02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Why would the Dolphins mess with a good thing and take Ryan over Long? They went 11-5 this year and have one of the brighter futures in the NFL...

Halsey
02-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Why would the Dolphins mess with a good thing and take Ryan over Long? They went 11-5 this year and have one of the brighter futures in the NFL...

Because Ryan gives them a long term answer at the most important position in football. Pennington is almost 10 years older then Ryan and...well....did you see that playoffs game. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Pennington ever leading a team anywhere in the playoffs.

russie
02-18-2009, 03:07 PM
minnesota got jared allen with their first rounder(plus a little more). i'd do it again in a heart beat, especially after seeing what the jags traded to get a rookie de that hardly made any impact

JRTPlaya21
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Good point on Pennington, but a QB can only go so far without a good line.

Sniper
02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Because Ryan gives them a long term answer at the most important position in football. Pennington is almost 10 years older then Ryan and...well....did you see that playoffs game. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Pennington ever leading a team anywhere in the playoffs.

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/6484-1/ChadHenne1.jpg

That's what this studmuffin is for.

GB12
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
The Jordy Nelson pick confused the crap out of me at the time it happened, but I wouldn't change it now.

CashmoneyDrew
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/6484-1/ChadHenne1.jpg

That's what this studmuffin is for.

Life's a lot harder when you don't have Mike Hart to give the rock.

Michigan
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Life's a lot harder when you don't have Mike Hart to give the rock.

You really don't think Chad Henne will have success given the situation he is in right now?

art vandelay
02-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Leodis McKelvin was a great pick for the Bills - that one should stay the same.

eaglesalltheway
02-18-2009, 03:47 PM
You really don't think Chad Henne will have success given the situation he is in right now?

I personally hate Michigan (my apologies), but I think Henne can become a successful NFL QB. He is just one of those guys that doesn't really stick out in any one aspect of his game, but has enough leadership qualities and othe intangibles, as well as good football knowledge, that is will be hard for him to fail.

Gay Ork Wang
02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
am i the only one who thinks redrafts are ******* useless?

tjsunstein
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Yeah, probably the only one in the world.

What else are we gonna do the week leading up to the combine?

Mr. Stiller
02-18-2009, 04:13 PM

IIRC aren't the chiefs a tampa2 styled team, maybe not fully but run a similar system?

Carr and Flowers are excellent zone based corners. DRC has been awesome, but no reason for them to take DRC over Dorsey.

and also, wasn't it said their DC was running Dorsey at Nose and Tank tyler at UT?

Geo
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't say I'd really change a pick for the Colts.

I looked back at the last 5 rounds, especially checking to see if they could have drafted a DT knowing in the future they would lose both NTs on the roster.

Marcus Harrison in the late 2nd is very tempting, but I'd rather have Pollak in the long run. So that was a no.

Chris Horton is the one guy, I might take him over Jacob Tamme or Steve Justice.

BlindSite
02-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think there's a chance Otah, Slaton, Royal or Jackson don't go earlier than they were initially drafted. Flacco likely higher too.

d34ng3l021
02-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Its pretty good to kill time. Redrafts after 1 season are useless though.

I like Joe Flacco and all, but Jake Long is very tempting at 3.

PACKmanN
02-18-2009, 06:51 PM

personal wise sure, talent wise, KC wins it.

GET LOOSE
02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Im not ready to give up on Gholston especially with Rex making him his project. Ill stick with Gholston for now.