PDA

View Full Version : 2009 designated franchise players

Geo
02-18-2009, 04:31 PM
The deadline is tomorrow, and some more are coming in. Let's just make one thread.

Schefter breaks more news:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/chargers-tag-sproles-as-franchise-player/

Chargers tag RB Sproles as franchise player
Posted: February 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter

The Chargers took a major step to resolve their running back issues. They designated Darren Sproles as their franchise player, which will limit his free-agent options but guarantee him $6.621 million for the 2009 season.

Most believed the Chargers couldn’t afford to pay both Sproles and starting RB LaDainian Tomlinson. But the Chargers made sure they could.

Also, the Buccaneers officially tagged WR Antonio Bryant as their franchise player.

Bryant is absolutely no surprise, but I'm shocked the Chargers franchised Sproles. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, AJ Smith is an idiot. He needs to spend that money elsewhere.

Geo
02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Baltimore Ravens assign the franchise tag to Terrell Suggs. (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/ravens-pick-suggs-over-lewis-scott-for-franchise-tag/)

He's not going anywhere else just yet.

LetsGoGiants!
02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
The New York Giants tagged Brandon Jabobs earlier in the week.

gramage
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Here's hoping they get rid of the franchise tag in the next CBA, it's taking all the fun out of the offseason. Keep the transition tag and thats it.

diabsoule
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Could you merge all the threads talking about how a certain player was franchised into this one?

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Yay suggs stays a raven!!

CashmoneyDrew
02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
To Mike Reinfeldt: Rip up the damn contract that says you can't re-tag Haynesworth and just tag him again!

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
To Mike Reinfeldt: Rip up the damn contract that says you can't re-tag Haynesworth and just tag him again!

Isn't it scary when your best player might leave your team?? I am just happy we got Suggs. Now I worry about Ray

Geo
02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Mark Schlereth on TV today said, I kid you not, that the Titans could franchise Albert Haynesworth. What a complete dumbass.

Strongside
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Isn't it scary when your best player might leave your team?? I am just happy we got Suggs. Now I worry about Ray

What's the word on Ray now? The last I heard he was unwilling to take any type of home discount. I think it's pretty critical to resign him IMO

TitleTown088
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Apparently Peppers made a list of 4 teams to be traded to providing he is franchised. Dallas is the only one named so far according to Yahoo.com

Gay Ork Wang
02-18-2009, 05:36 PM
wow Dallas with peppers and ware :O

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
What's the word on Ray now? The last I heard he was unwilling to take any type of home discount. I think it's pretty critical to resign him IMO

Well I am guessing he tests the free agent market and hopefully takes our offer over others. I think he stays

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
wow Dallas with peppers and ware :O

That team is already so stacked it is obvious they do not need better players just someone who can bring leadership(screw you stay away from Ray).

Go_Eagles77
02-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Glad SD franchised Sproles, gives us a better chance at Moreno.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Anyone else not like the franchise tag? I would be down for it if you could only use it for one year, but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Xenos
02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
The deadline is tomorrow, and some more are coming in. Let's just make one thread.

Schefter breaks more news:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/chargers-tag-sproles-as-franchise-player/

Bryant is absolutely no surprise, but I'm shocked the Chargers franchised Sproles. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, AJ Smith is an idiot. He needs to spend that money elsewhere.
Was Polian an idiot for placing the franchise tag on Dallas Clark last year?

Anyways, I don't see a scenario where we actually pay Sproles the franchise tag money. He either signs a long term deal or gets traded IMO.

bored of education
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Antonio Bryant got tagged

Bigburt63
02-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Apparently Peppers made a list of 4 teams to be traded to providing he is franchised. Dallas is the only one named so far according to Yahoo.com

Ya it was Dallas with 2 other NFC teams and one AFC team.

GET LOOSE
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Anyone else not like the franchise tag? I would be down for it if you could only use it for one year, but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Yea im not a fan of the franchise tag. Mostly when the player wants to leave for more reasons then money. The way I see it if a player doesnt want to play for my team then **** him I dont want him either. I want every player on my team to be 100% committed to my team.

Geo
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Was Polian an idiot for placing the franchise tag on Dallas Clark last year?

Anyways, I don't see a scenario where we actually pay Sproles the franchise tag money. He either signs a long term deal or gets traded IMO.
1. What a stupid argument. I wanted to write this up for an article, but I might as well get to it now.

If Polian ever had the following '10 free agents:

- QB Philip Rivers
- RB LaDainian Tomlinson* (he's signed through '11, but he won't see those last two backloaded years)
- WR Chris Chambers
- WR Vincent Jackson
- WR Malcolm Floyd
- LT Marcus McNeil
- OLB Shawne Merriman

and the following '11 free agents:

- TE Antonio Gates
- NT Jamal Williams
- S Eric Weddle

and he spends almost $7M for one year of Sproles? When the current CBA forces you to construct contracts to increase by no more than 30% from one year to the next? Then he would be a complete moron.

2. Chargers fans thought the team could trade a franchised Michael Turner, if I recall. They sure got that 1st round pick there.

Who's going to give up a draft pick for a scatback/return man, when they have to pay him too? And once he signs his name to the franchise tender, his '09 tender is guaranteed.

Smith should have just drafted Knowshon Moreno this April, to take Sproles' place this year and then take over for LDT next year. And then you draft a complementary back next year.

Craig Davis was a 1st round pick, one would think he could at least serve as the return man in the meantime.

BlindSite
02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Panthers are pretty likely to franchise either Gross or Peppers, depending on how the contractual negotiations with Gross go. According to every source under the sun, the Panthers and Gross are close, as in letting ink dry, close and his deal will be announced soon. I've heard that on three separate dates though so take this with a grain of salt.

Peppers announcement, in a truly douchebag maneuver has come out and said there's four teams he wants to play for.

According to sources two of these teams the Panthers would hate to trade him to. This makes me think they're in the NFC:S.

Obviously one isn't NO, and anywhere in florida is likely to grab his attention (huge payday no income tax) so I'm thinking he's looking at Tampa.

Dallas is the other team, so there's the 34 link and the fact that Jones throws money at anything

As for the other two teams, I really don't know, Obviously they're likely to be playoff teams, or 34 teams so GB, Denver, Jets, Broncs, Pats, Baltimore etc etc

After his shenanigans this offseason though I just hope the Panthers get Gross signed and then trade Peppers to whoever wants to give us the most.

Geo
02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Peppers announcement, in a truly douchebag maneuver has come out and said there's four teams he wants to play for.

According to sources two of these teams the Panthers would hate to trade him to. This makes me think they're in the NFC:S.
Douchebag is right, I really detest how he's handled this offseason. Look, no one is putting a gun to his head so that he has to stay in Carolina, but all this public crap? Like if two NFC South teams are on this list of four, when no one in the division plays a 3-4 defense which he supposedly desires so much to play for, and how he'll refuse to play for anyone not on the list, and so on. It's just dumb imo.

If he has to play under the franchise tag for one more year in Carolina, then so be it. It's not like he has to sign a long-term deal, and I doubt they could afford to franchise him again next year (and if they did, he'd make between 45-50M in three years).

ATLDirtyBirds
02-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Peppers and Abraham. Oh boy.

PackerLegend
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Ya the tag blows. Its makes free agency not as exciting as it could have been. Not to mention basically every player hates getting it.

Geo
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Rams designate safety OJ Atogwe as their franchise player. (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/contract-talks-result-in-franchise-tag-for-rams-atogwe/)

He's now off the market too.

P-L
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't like how teams can repeatedly use the tag on the same player.

Geo
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
You can only do it so many years, because it costs 120% to do with each following year.

PackerLegend
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
So from that list of all those big free agents everyone was excited about who is left? Fat Albert, YourMomma, Warner, Peppers, Gross.... but Gross will probably sign and then Peppers gets tagged so basically no one.

scottyboy
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I've never really cared about the tag considering Jacobs is the 3rd guy the Giants have ever tagged, but it's kind of annoying. I guess it's handy, but there should be a limit. idk, it's frustrating these big names wont be on the market. it makes FA so much more fun and exciting

Geo
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I think you touched on it, there's more money available nowadays than quality free agents to sign.

And players and their agents know that.

BlindSite
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Douchebag is right, I really detest how he's handled this offseason. Look, no one is putting a gun to his head so that he has to stay in Carolina, but all this public crap? Like if two NFC South teams are on this list of four, when no one in the division plays a 3-4 defense which he supposedly desires so much to play for, and how he'll refuse to play for anyone not on the list, and so on. It's just dumb imo.

If he has to play under the franchise tag for one more year in Carolina, then so be it. It's not like he has to sign a long-term deal, and I doubt they could afford to franchise him again next year (and if they did, he'd make between 45-50M in three years).

I don't really want to see him in the uniform any more. After he came out and said "I don't want to be a Panther anymore" he hurt the team, and then saying "if they franchise me, I'll demand a trade" he hurt the team further and then by saying "there's only 4 teams *COUGH DALLAS COUGH* he's kicked the Panthers right in the balls and has closed off a massive portion of the trade market. Its a douche move, since now if only two of the three are interested they can deliberately keep the trade price low.

So from that list of all those big free agents everyone was excited about who is left? Fat Albert, YourMomma, Warner, Peppers, Gross.... but Gross will probably sign and then Peppers gets tagged so basically no one.

Gross was never going to hit the open market, Albert will be hitting the market no doubt. Peppers isn't wanted on the team by many any more so him being tagged is just a way to get something out of losing a probowl Pass rusher.

PACKmanN
02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
There is a report on ESPN that Peppers, if traded, is interested in four teams. One was leaked is Dallas, 2-3 of the other 4 are NFC teams.

Menardo75
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Rams designate safety OJ Atogwe as their franchise player. (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/contract-talks-result-in-franchise-tag-for-rams-atogwe/)

He's now off the market too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PoopSandwich
02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Darnell Dinkins or Jason Wright need to be franchised IMMEDIATELY.

BeerBaron
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Mark Schlereth on TV today said, I kid you not, that the Titans could franchise Albert Haynesworth. What a complete dumbass.

Oh I saw that and was pissed....

These guys are making probably **** tons of money and they're wrong half the time. The other half they just come off sound stupid and uninformed. Seems like some of the time their answers are pre written just to make sure theres some disagreement.....

I really wish I got NFL Network here....sigh.

Go_Eagles77
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh I saw that and was pissed....

These guys are making probably **** tons of money and they're wrong half the time. The other half they just come off sound stupid and uninformed. Seems like some of the time their answers are pre written just to make sure theres some disagreement.....

I really wish I got NFL Network here....sigh.
With tools like Jamie Dukes and Deion Sanders (great player, horrible analyst), NFL Network isn't much better than ESPN as far as analysts go.

TitleTown088
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
You can only do it so many years, because it costs 120% to do with each following year.

I thought there was no circumstance you could do it 3 years in a row,

gramage
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
What drives me nuts about the tag is teams aren't supposed to be able to use it this freely. The way the franchise tag was written into the CBA is you franchise a player so you can match any deal, but once you've signed the long term deal you cannot use the tag again during the length of it. So say Peppers got tagged and then signed a 5 year deal you wouldn't have a franchise tag available for 5 years. But teams immediately got around that by having players sign the tender offer first, then the extension, meaning they always have it and can rely on the knowledge they can use it on a player every year. And with all the cap manipulations giving nearly every team room to do whatever they choose, there's nothing to stop them using it on B players.

As soon as possible scrap it, leave the transition player tag in place (which gives the right to match a deal but no compensation if a team declines) and let free agency be fun for the fans.

BeerBaron
02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
The problem with the transition tag though is you get no compensation, and team's will poison pill you all up and down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_pill#Sports

I think only transition tag used since the Hutch/Burleson thing was Starks for the Steelers last year, and no one else wanted him.

CC.SD
02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
D-Sproles gets the tag. Too many people walking around San Diego with their "43 Lightning in a Bottle" shirts. 6.6 mill is pricey, hoping he signs an easier long term deal. Still, can't say I'm sad about keeping the young buck. Hopefully we see some more screens.

Smokey Joe
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
He's what I think. Keep the franchise tag, but make some adjustments. No player can have the franchise tag used on them in consecutive years. Also, make it where the franchise tag player gets paid the same as the highest paid player at his position, not the average of the top 5. This just makes the franchise tag less attractive for teams to use. And if a player could be considered for two different positions, you have to tag him at the position that pays the most.

Also, I'd decrease the compensation the team that uses the franchise gets if another team were to sign said player. I'd make it where if another team signed the franchise player, they wouldn't have to give 2 first round picks anymore, but rather a 2nd round pick and a conditional 4th for next year that can become a 2nd. This way players who get franchised aren't automatically taken off of the market because the amount other teams have to give up to sign them isn't ridiculous. However, teams franchising a player could still trade said player.

B-Dawk
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
walter jones and or pace got it for a bunch of years before finally getting that longterm contract

Xenos
02-19-2009, 12:50 AM
1. What a stupid argument. I wanted to write this up for an article, but I might as well get to it now.

If Polian ever had the following '10 free agents:

- QB Philip Rivers
- RB LaDainian Tomlinson* (he's signed through '11, but he won't see those last two backloaded years)
- WR Chris Chambers
- WR Vincent Jackson
- WR Malcolm Floyd
- LT Marcus McNeil
- OLB Shawne Merriman

and the following '11 free agents:

- TE Antonio Gates
- NT Jamal Williams
- S Eric Weddle

and he spends almost $7M for one year of Sproles? When the current CBA forces you to construct contracts to increase by no more than 30% from one year to the next? Then he would be a complete moron.

2. Chargers fans thought the team could trade a franchised Michael Turner, if I recall. They sure got that 1st round pick there.

Who's going to give up a draft pick for a scatback/return man, when they have to pay him too? And once he signs his name to the franchise tender, his '09 tender is guaranteed.

Smith should have just drafted Knowshon Moreno this April, to take Sproles' place this year and then take over for LDT next year. And then you draft a complementary back next year.

Craig Davis was a 1st round pick, one would think he could at least serve as the return man in the meantime.
I'll actually address the second statement first. The only time we thought we could get a first for Michael Turner was when he was a RFA, and we placed the highest tender on him. I believe the Titans offered a first, but wanted Turner as well as our first in exchange.
We placed the franchise tag on him when he became a UFA last year, but everyone including their mother knew that we weren't going to get anything in return for him.

As for the first question, there are certain people on your lists that won't command as much money (as well as more expendable). The major ones that need to resigned are Rivers, Merriman, McNeill, and VJ in 2009. If LT restructures (which I strongly believe he will), and Sproles gets a new contract, then Rivers will be extended as well as one other major player. Additionally, if the CBA doesn't get done, then Merriman, McNeill, and VJ all have an extra clause in their contract that allows us to keep them for another year (ie. McNeill becomes a RFA instead of UFA).

As for 2010, unless Weddle completely lights it up in the next two seasons, I don't see him commanding a huge salary at all. Cromartie, if he bounces back from this past year, will probably though. Jamal is getting up there in age so he's not going to command that much (we're probably going to draft his replacement either this year or the next), and if he does want more money, then we're probably not going to resign him. Gates and Cro are the only ones I worry about, though both have injury concerns this past year.

As for Sproles signing the tender. I don't think the risk is as great as you think. If he was injured then he would probably signed that tender in a heartbeat. Besides, most players hate the franchise tag. He'll hold off on signing that thing as much as possible. And there are probably teams interested in a returner/scat back. Heck, the Jaguars signed Drayton Florence to a 35 million dollar deal to be their nickel corner. So you know someone's stupid enough to do it. Plus, unlike Florence, Sproles isn't a total idiot and actually showcased his talent quite well this year unlike Florence's contract year where he was replaced by Cromartie.

AJ Smith comes from the Polian branch of doing things. He'll keep the major players and the rest will be replaced.

Geo
02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
You're right on Turner, they didn't franchise him, and the current CBA possibly helping out. Although surely we can agree it's risky to bank on that, even though I personally think there won't be a new CBA by the start of next season (I don't think we'll get to a labor stopage though).

Polian actually never locks up players until they are very close to free agency, for whatever reason. I wonder what his thought process is behind that, but I digress.

His philosophy, as you say and he's said, is to keep the great players, not the good ones. I imagine Smith feels the same.

But I don't think Smith can wait to do all of that, given how many quality free agents are coming up this year. Why not use some of this year's cap space to sign one or two guys now, at least? Even if he doesn't plan on signing Merriman long-term given his knee, maybe he'll franchise him for a year or two to see how things progress, Smith still has some guys he needs to lock up.

First and foremost, Philip Rivers has to be re-signed. One of the three starting wide receivers as well, most likely Jackson, although I'd aim for two of them. Chambers is the oldest, but he's the receiver I fear the most if he's healthy and playing with Philip Rivers - they have a good chemistry and he can be hard to cover, when you're concerned with Gates and the RB. Floyd is younger and is a bigger body though, would probably come cheaper.

Geo
02-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Schefter: Titans going to franchise TE Bo Scaife (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/busy-titans-expected-to-franchise-te-scaife/)

There goes the best TE off the market, if that happens.

Owen Daniels is a RFA though.

Sniper
02-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I wish the NFL would get rid of the franchise tag.

CC.SD
02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I wish the NFL would get rid of the franchise tag.

I wish the NFL would get rid of lots of things.

Geo
02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
When NFL teams can only sign picks 17-32 to a max of five years, and every draft picks afterwards to a max of 4 years, under a salary cap system, you've got to give them the franchise tag. They've developed the players, they need some measure to lock up one player every offseason if they need to. And these players are getting paid the average of the Top 5 guys at their position, that is fair compensation imo.

Geo
02-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Houston Texans put franchise tag on Dunta Robinson. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6269456.html)

I wouldn't be surprised if Houston and Robinson agree to a long-term deal before the season starts.

Sniper
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
When NFL teams can only sign picks 17-32 to a max of five years, and every draft picks afterwards to a max of 4 years, under a salary cap system, you've got to give them the franchise tag. They've developed the players, they need some measure to lock up one player every offseason if they need to. And these players are getting paid the average of the Top 5 guys at their position, that is fair compensation imo.

Other sports have survived without the franchise tag. The NFL can too. It's a ***** way out of things. I'm sure the Pittsburgh Penguins would have loved to franchise tag Marian Hossa last year after they gave up a gazillion prospects for him. Sadly for them, their sport doesn't have the "***** way out to keep a player" clause and they lost him. It should be the same.

keylime_5
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM

What! NO! We must franchise Andra Davis now!

if they don't franchise either him or McGinest I'll be pissed.

Geo
02-19-2009, 11:50 AM
LB Leroy Hill designated franchise player of the Seattle Seahawks today. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3304)

A bit surprising.

So much cap space, fewer quality free agents available. Haynesworth will be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

HawkeyeFan
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I was glad Atogwe was tagged, I don't know how many teams would have wanted him in Free Agency, so I'd think we could have signed him for longer and cheaper then.

Splat
02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Schefter: Titans going to franchise TE Bo Scaife (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/busy-titans-expected-to-franchise-te-scaife/)

I don't think he is worth the tag my self but they must feel they can get a deal done later on.

Geo
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Shefter is reporting the Panthers have put the franchise tag on Julius Peppers. Cost of $16.683M. (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/panthers-franchise-peppers-after-signing-gross/)

Maybe the big baby isn't going to get the shiny new trade he wants, wah wah.

Brown Leader
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
What! NO! We must franchise Andra Davis now!

if they don't franchise either him or McGinest I'll be pissed.

WinslowBodden

You guys are funny-joking right?

bored of education
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Dunta Robinson was tagged by the Texans

MetSox17
02-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Dunta Robinson was tagged by the Texans

They can't let go of the little bit of talent they have on that side of the ball. The only guy on their secondary worth paying, actually.

Splat
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
The FA market is getting thin.

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
The FA market is getting thin.

Agreed. This is some bull ****. A lot of the fun that the onset of free agency brings every year is dwindling down.

Like people were suggesting earlier, this whole franchise tag thing needs to go. If you want to keep a certain player that badly, throw a big money, long term deal his way or be prepared to let him walk.

Splat
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Per ESPN Nnamdi Asomugha just got a 3 year deal done with the Raiders.

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 01:08 PM

See, I like that much better than just tagging him again. A rare respectable/smart move by the Raiders.

TitleTown088
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Three year? That's curiously stupid by the raiders if you ask me. Why not lock him up? His price is only going escalate even more to after that three year contract is up. Scrabble is worth the cash, I would have gone 5 providing he wanted to stay in Oakland that long.

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Three year? That's curiously stupid by the raiders if you ask me. Why not lock him up? His price is only going escalate even more to after that three year contract is up. Scrabble is worth the cash, I would have gone 5 providing he wanted to stay in Oakland that long.

From what I read on it, the deal is basically going to pay him in the first two years what he would have earned being the team's franchise player those same years.

So really, it's like he's just being franchised for 3 straight years, without that title and with some security for at least those 3 years.

Sniper
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
From what I read on it, the deal is basically going to pay him in the first two years what he would have earned being the team's franchise player those same years.

So really, it's like he's just being franchised for 3 straight years, without that title and with some security for at least those 3 years.

Yeah, but Asomugha gets screwed when he gets franchised. He gets paid the average of the top 5 corners in the league but he's the #1 corner, so it doesn't make sense for him financially.

Splat
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I like the move he is going to be 28 even if they gave him a 6 or 7 year deal no way he plays out that deal he would either get cut or traded or have to rework his deal in 4 years any ways.

It might not be a great move for NA but it is a great move for the Raiders they keep there best player for the rest of his prime years.

TitleTown088
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I like the move he is going to be 28 even if they gave him a 6 or 7 year deal no way he plays out that deal he would either get cut or traded or have to rework his deal in 4 years any ways.

It might not be a great move for NA but it is a great move for the Raiders they keep there best player for the rest of his prime years.

This isn't a running back. Corners can play well past 28 * Woodson plug*, they should have signed him for five.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Agreed. This is some bull ****. A lot of the fun that the onset of free agency brings every year is dwindling down.

Like people were suggesting earlier, this whole franchise tag thing needs to go. If you want to keep a certain player that badly, throw a big money, long term deal his way or be prepared to let him walk.

Yup. I really can't stand it.

Splat
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
This isn't a running back. Corners can play well past 28 * Woodson plug*, they should have signed him for five.

Some CB's can sure but most start to having trouble keeping up with younger faster WR's and do you really want a guy in the middle of the biggest part of his deal when that happens?

Sniper
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Some CB's can sure but most start to having trouble kepping up with younger faster WR's and do you really want a guy in the middle of the biggest part of his deal when that happens?

Nnamdi Asomugha isn't "most" cornerbacks.

TitleTown088
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Some CB's can sure but most start to having trouble kepping up with younger faster WR's and do you really want a guy in the middle of the biggest part of his deal when that happens?

Isn't Scrabble a bump and run master? That's where speed doesn't matter.. AKA Al Harris.

Splat
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
All I'm trying to say is if they gave him a 6 or 7 year deal no way what so ever he is still playing at the same level at the back end of that deal.

I'm not knocking the guy at all he is a GREAT player best CB in the game but its just football it happens to every one.

bored of education
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Hill was tagged by Seahawks.

bored of education
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Starx tagged by Stillers

HawkeyeFan
02-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Starx tagged by Stillers
Grrr :(

I was hoping he'd hit the Free Agent market.

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow..this is getting a little ridiculous this year.

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
what do we have so far?

Dansby
Jacobs
Peppers
Starks
Atogwe
Robinson
Sproles
Bryant
Graham
Scaife
Suggs

bored of education
02-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Hill from SEA

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
and Koenen from Atlanta

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
thats like almost half of the league

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
thats like almost half of the league

I think thats 12 that we know of right? It's over a third at least.

Thats really draining on the FA market imo.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Well when your team is about to lose there best player you would want that tag. I am ok with it

BeerBaron
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Well when your team is about to lose there best player you would want that tag. I am ok with it

But a LOT of these guys aren't the team's best player. Suggs yeah. Peppers of course. Even Dansby and Robinson I can understand.

But Sproles, Bryant...Scaife even...I really question those a little more.

Splat
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM
But a LOT of these guys aren't the team's best player. Suggs yeah. Peppers of course. Even Dansby and Robinson I can understand.

Beat me to it and I agree.

bored of education
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
It is intended to use on your best player, but not all thetime. I see the logic behind putting on Dansby because he maybe looking for more in the market than the amount he will get via tag. Bryant had one very good year. Etc etc. its a case by case thing.

Splat
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I wish they would at least make a rule that you can't tag the same player twice in row if you want the guy that bad pay the man.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Yea I agree it should not be used on people like that but it has been mainly guys no one would give up if they were on your team

Geo
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
You can add Matt Cassel to that list, which is a record number.

Schefter: (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/nfl-sets-record-with-14-franchised-players/) "If it felt like franchise tags were flying at an unprecedented pace this year, it’s because they were.

In the 17 years of free agency, the most players ever to be franchised in one offseason was 11, which happened in 2005 and 2008. But this year, a whopping 14 teams used their franchise tag — and that number might have been higher had some last-minute, long-term deals not been worked out."

Hines
02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Starx tagged by Stillers

I like the deal. Hopefully we can resign him and McFadden both this offseason. We were close to putting the tag on McFadden, but I wouldn't want to give 9 million to BMac.

Splat
02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
When does the dead line to tag a player end midnight tonight?

Geo
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I think it was 4 pm eastern.

LonghornsLegend
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

If they are tagging these guys to prolong time until they sign a deal I see no problem, that's how we did it with Hamlin, sometimes you need a little more time to work out the kinks.

But even if, what's the big deal, if you are given a franchise tag to use, why shouldn't they be able to use it...Sproles could be a one good year fix for SD, maybe Tampa wants to see another year out of Bryant before paying him a huge deal.

Geo
02-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I think it was Charlie Casserly or Adam Schefter on NFLN who made a very good point:

Teams are more apt to use the franchise tag this year, given uncertainty about the expiring CBA and what's going to happen.

TitleTown088
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't think the Panthers will get what most expect in a trade for Pep after franchising him.

1.Teams know the Panthers have to move him. They can't afford to keep him and he dosen't want to be there.
2. He says he'll only play in a 3-4, that narrows it down more.
3. he's going to command a monster contract, narrows down the teams further yet.

Xenos
02-19-2009, 08:21 PM
You're right on Turner, they didn't franchise him, and the current CBA possibly helping out. Although surely we can agree it's risky to bank on that, even though I personally think there won't be a new CBA by the start of next season (I don't think we'll get to a labor stopage though).

Polian actually never locks up players until they are very close to free agency, for whatever reason. I wonder what his thought process is behind that, but I digress.

His philosophy, as you say and he's said, is to keep the great players, not the good ones. I imagine Smith feels the same.

But I don't think Smith can wait to do all of that, given how many quality free agents are coming up this year. Why not use some of this year's cap space to sign one or two guys now, at least? Even if he doesn't plan on signing Merriman long-term given his knee, maybe he'll franchise him for a year or two to see how things progress, Smith still has some guys he needs to lock up.

First and foremost, Philip Rivers has to be re-signed. One of the three starting wide receivers as well, most likely Jackson, although I'd aim for two of them. Chambers is the oldest, but he's the receiver I fear the most if he's healthy and playing with Philip Rivers - they have a good chemistry and he can be hard to cover, when you're concerned with Gates and the RB. Floyd is younger and is a bigger body though, would probably come cheaper.
They're already working on his contract right now. He will be extended this year.

Floyd is one of the most frustrating player to watch simply because as soon as he lights it up, he gets injured and misses the rest of the year.

I hope they can restructure Chamber's contract into something more manageable if we do resign him. He has only one more year left, but he takes up 5 million this year.

scottyboy
02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Leroy Hill got tagged? really? wow...

Bucs_Rule
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
If you have the cap space why not?

Splat
02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't think the Panthers will get what most expect in a trade for Pep after franchising him.

1.Teams know the Panthers have to move him. They can't afford to keep him and he dosen't want to be there.
2. He says he'll only play in a 3-4, that narrows it down more.
3. he's going to command a monster contract, narrows down the teams further yet.

He is also going to me 29 I believe? If so I think that will also keep them from getting the same value the Chiefs got for Jared Allen who was 26.

Splat
02-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Is there a dead line for RFA or was it the same deal line as the tag?

Geo
02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
February 26 is the deadline for teams to submit offers to their restricted free agents, and also exclusive rights free agents (players with only 1 or 2 years in the league).

April 17 is the deadline for another team to sign a RFA to an offer sheet.

April 24 is the deadline for teams to exercise right of first refusal, ie. match the offer sheet, if their RFAs are signed by another team.

2009 NFL key dates (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3818981)

Splat
02-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Thank you sir.