PDA

View Full Version : Who are the KNOWN prospects that will prove to be better than their draft status?

Black Bolt
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Albert Hayesworth was a first rounders, but know one knew he was (or better yet, would be) all-pro good. Know one besides me knew that Anquan Bouldin would be this good. What I saw was a super competitor that had a knack for holes in zones and then was as violent as the defender that was trying to tackle him once he caught the ball. Remember Ed Reed vs. Roy Williams? Ed was better all along. It's not so much they were underrated at the time, but they proved to be better than their ranking.

Here's one guy that could prove to exceed his draft ranking: DT Fili Moala. I don't question his ranking because for whatever reason, his play has been inconsisent. But if he gets it together, watch out. He has the physical attributes, the talent and the bloodlines to be a very good NFL DT. I also think that Rashard Johnson and Chase Coffman could fall in this category. Who else??

cadahnic
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
My pick is Sean Smith from Utah. That guy was all over the place against Alabama and he is a smart player also. Likely more of a safety in the NFL, but with a little help he could will be a damn good one...

jnew76
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I would go with Darrius Heyward-Bey.... I think everyone knows he is an excellent receiver. Because teams have other, more glaring needs, DHB will likely go late in the first round. I think DHB proves to be a better WR than where he is slotted to be drafted.

TheBuffaloBills
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Alex Mack. He looks like a second rounder right now. I think he will be a pro bowler.

BuddyCHRIST
02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
It's hard to pick right now because alot will depend on situation. But I think James Davis will make some pro bowl's. I think he could be one of the better backs in the league for a little bit.

Shane P. Hallam
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Alex Mack. He looks like a second rounder right now. I think he will be a pro bowler.

I'll second Mack. He could end up as the best center in the league.

princefielder28
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Wonderful choice

Hakeem Nicks is better than a mid 2nd round like Mr. Wright had in his latest mock

GET LOOSE
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Wonderful choice

Hakeem Nicks is better than a mid 2nd round like Mr. Wright had in his latest mock

I second that Nicks is a beast

eaglesalltheway
02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Well I hate to go with the flow, but Mack and Nicks are my two guys at the top, and third is Chase Coffman.

Race for the Heisman
02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Brandon Pettigrew; absolute total package who should drop a bit due to character concerns.

Chase Coffman; like Zach Robinson a few years ago he might not run the best in shorts, but he's an outstanding natural receiver.

D.J. Moore/Alphonso Smith (whichever ends up going later, maybe even both); both of these guys are better pure cover guys than Jenkins and Davis in my mind, and yet both are willing, aggressive tacklers in run support.

Jarron Gilbert, assuming his combine doesn't shoot him into or near the first day.

Marcus Freeman, if he isn't a first day pick.

JRTPlaya21
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I think that Maclin will be an absolute stud in the league one day.

JRTPlaya21
02-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Brandon Pettigrew; absolute total package who should drop a bit due to character concerns.

Chase Coffman; like Zach Robinson a few years ago he might not run the best in shorts, but he's an outstanding natural receiver.

D.J. Moore/Alphonso Smith (whichever ends up going later, maybe even both); both of these guys are better pure cover guys than Jenkins and Davis in my mind, and yet both are willing, aggressive tacklers in run support.

Jarron Gilbert, assuming his combine doesn't shoot him into or near the first day.

Love the Pettigrew, Moore & Smith picks.

wonderbredd24
Rashad Jennings, RB Liberty
Kraig Urbik, OG Wisconsin
Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB Penn State
Shawn Nelson, TE Southern Miss

katnip
How about Va. Tech's Victor "Macho" Harris? I'd move him to FS if I were a coach, because of his speed. But he can hit.

Does he compare to the Bucs Tanard Jackson? Cause I think so.

And I think Clemson safety Michael Hamlin's a sleeper.

JRTPlaya21
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Highly doubt Macho would move to safety. He isn't big enough and he would fit in a lot of teams systems at corner.

eaglesalltheway
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
How about Va. Tech's Victor "Macho" Harris? I'd move him to FS if I were a coach, because of his speed. But he can hit.

Does he compare to the Bucs Tanard Jackson? Cause I think so.

And I think Clemson safety Michael Hamlin's a sleeper.

I like Hamlin a lot, he had a very good senior year, better than his very good college career actually. He could play either Safety spot, depending on what system he goes to, but he is one of the couple mid-round safety prospects I really like.

katnip
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Yea, I thought Tanard Jackson was barely over 200. Even though they run the Tampa d.

Black Bolt
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I would go with Darrius Heyward-Bey.... I think everyone knows he is an excellent receiver. Because teams have other, more glaring needs, DHB will likely go late in the first round. I think DHB proves to be a better WR than where he is slotted to be drafted.

depends on the system he goes to. He needs to go to a system that will accelerate his development, and if that happens, watch out.

Black Bolt
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
It's hard to pick right now because alot will depend on situation. But I think James Davis will make some pro bowl's. I think he could be one of the better backs in the league for a little bit.

That's the type of example I was asking for. No one is talking about Davis. He's the kind of guy Shannanhan would pick in the 5th round and turn into a 1,200 yard back.

Black Bolt
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Yea, I thought Tanard Jackson was barely over 200. Even though they run the Tampa d.

Jackson hits bigger than his size. Macho is very physical, but not safety physical IMO.

Black Bolt
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Zach Miller.

Hurricanes25
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Courtney Greene and Patrick Chung.

WMD
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Joe Burnett and/or Mark Parson!

Hurricanes25
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Joe Burnett and/or Mark Parson!

I like Burnett too. I think he can become a great CB.

PACKmanN
02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
DJ Moore..

Gchu83
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Roy Miller, DT Texas - Has good enough explosion to get to the QB and great strength to stand his ground against the run.

Twinkle Toes
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
ok, guys, watch Shawn Nelson (6-4 238 TE from Southern Miss SHOOT up the board.

Top Pre-Combine Coach Tom Shaw predicts that Nelson will "shock some people" at the Combine. "This kid, he's really a great athlete, first of all," Shaw said of Nelson. "He reminds me of Calvin Johnson. He's rated as a guy who'll run 4.6, but I'm predicting he's gonna run 4.4."

Shaw made similar 'predictions' on Chris Johnson and Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie last year.

Still think Pre-Combine Coaching Programs aren't all that important? Shaw is generally considered THE BEST. His Performance Enhancement Program has so far trained 86 first round draft picks and produced 4 of the top 5 40 guys at last year's combine.

I wouldn't be suprised if Nelson is the 2nd OR 3rd TE off the board (behind Pettigrew and perhaps Coffman.

AkiliSmith
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Brian Robiskie - good size, smart, great hands, runs great routes, underrated athlete

He'll get picked in late round 2 or 3 and be a great #2 receiver in a couple of years.

Twinkle Toes
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
OK that would have been my second choice.......glad you mentioned him i predicted he's a 2nd rounder, even if he gets drafted in the 3rd.

FrankGore
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
RB - Gartrell Johnson (Reminds me of a poor man's Steven Jackson, not just cause of the dreadlocks. He runs HARD)
WR - Jaison Williams (This guy's stature and physical ability is unreal...if he ever gets focused he could really offer something at the next level)
Honorable mention: Brandon Tate, Mike Thomas
OLB - Kaluka Maiava -(the least heralded USC LB, but could be a starter somewhere)
ILB - Worrell Williams (Stout and productive in the middle for Cal, very consistent)
S - Derek Pegues (Versatile playmaker)
CB - Mike Mickens (Cover corner who should go late on the 1st day/early 2nd, but should play right away)

Twinkle Toes
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Another very underrated receiver who WILL start in the NFL IMO is Jarrett Dillard from Rice. I also agree with Gartrell Johnson's NFL potential, Mr Gore.

Brown Leader
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
This is easy-Knowshon Moreno.
And I agree about Moala.

GET LOOSE
02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
This is easy-Knowshon Moreno.
And I agree about Moala.

I got Knowshon as well. Watch out for him

SilverBullet
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Shonne Green from Iowa. He carried that team on his back.

Hurricanes25
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
RB - Gartrell Johnson (Reminds me of a poor man's Steven Jackson, not just cause of the dreadlocks. He runs HARD)

I watched him in his bowl game this year and he is a monster. The guys amazing.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I think Lawrence Sidbury will be a beast one day.

nepg
02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
David Bruton's stock has dropped since mid-season for no apparent reason other than people got bored of him.

Marcus Freeman is just too athletic and experienced to be rated so low...

Joe Burnett is way underrated at the moment. Really don't see what separates some guys considered for the #5 (Jenkins, Davis, Moore, and Smith occupying 1, 2, 3, & 4) CB spot from Burnett...

You can almost take your pick of any TE in this draft... So many really good ones whose stocks are low almost solely because there are just so many of them and no one can figure out who's better than who... Cook, Coffman, Nelson, Casey, Ingram, and Darius Hill are all basically the same player... Should be interesting how it all plays out. For the sake of the thread, I'll pick one: Chase Coffman. No reason for his stock to have dropped so drastically lately...

Greg Carr is going to blow up at the next level.

Rhett Bomar is the best QB in this draft.
________
ROLL A JOINT (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

Hurricanes25
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM

That is a bold statement.

nepg
02-19-2009, 08:55 PM
That is a bold statement.

lol @ the pun.

But seriously, I really do think he's the best QB prospect. He obviously won't go ahead of Stafford or Sanchez, but he's got all the tools and did enough at Sam Houston State to have his draft stock rest on workouts and interviews..
________
SoldierOfSex live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/SoldierOfSex)

StorminNorman
02-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Joe Burnett is going to be a great CB, he will be a steal.

As far as "elite player" I think Knowhon Moreno will be an elite back in the NFL.

yboord028
02-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Everette Brown: I just think in the cone drill he will get a great time as well he will do great in the general DE events.

scottyboy
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Kenny Britt without a doubt in my mind

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I can't shake the feeling that Jarrett Dillard is going to be excellent in the NFL.

princefielder28
02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I can't shake the feeling that Jarrett Dillard is going to be excellent in the NFL.

I think he'll be excellent as well

Brandon Gibson is another one

Hurricanes25
02-19-2009, 10:10 PM
I think Andre Brown from NC State is going to be good one.

SilverBullet
02-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Ha, he couldn't even complete over 60% of his passes in 1A.

princefielder28
02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Ha, he couldn't even complete over 60% of his passes in 1AA.

Fixed it for ya

Twinkle Toes
02-19-2009, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=nepg;1501572
Rhett Bomar is the best QB in this draft.[/QUOTE]

Rhett Bomar is the 5th or 6th best QB in this draft. ---there, now it is fixed.

GBahDunka
02-19-2009, 11:17 PM
im very high on Louis Delmas and Nic Harris, i both think they will be studs. I believe delmas has the potential to be a probowler early on in his career

Don Vito
02-20-2009, 04:27 AM
In all honesty, I'm going to say Mike Oher. Call me a homer but the biggest knocks I've been seeing on him are inconsistensy and lapses in concentration. These inconsistent plays must be few and far between since he gave up 4 sacks as a 4 year starter here, including 1 his junior year and none his senior year.

Oher has all of the ability in the world and is very coachable and plays with a mean streak. Yes, his technique could use a little work but I think he is an elite prospect.

Here's an NFL.com article on Oher from today-

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ed348f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Addict
02-20-2009, 05:31 AM
You do know this thread makes no sense right? If a player is KNOWN to be better than his draft status, then his draft status is going up. So there are no known players who are better than their draft status because if there would be then their status would be higher thus removing the notion that they are better than their draft status. There's guys who are as good and guys who are pleasant surprises, but there is no such thing as KNOWING a guy isn't rated highly enough, because if people KNEW it they'd rate him higher.

Don Vito
02-20-2009, 05:37 AM
You do know this thread makes no sense right? If a player is KNOWN to be better than his draft status, then his draft status is going up. So there are no known players who are better than their draft status because if there would be then their status would be higher thus removing the notion that they are better than their draft status. There's guys who are as good and guys who are pleasant surprises, but there is no such thing as KNOWING a guy isn't rated highly enough, because if people KNEW it they'd rate him higher.

The way I saw this was that the player was a standout in college who got a lot of press but that hype in college did not directly translate to being a top pro prospect, maybe because he has been seen and talked about so much it got to the point where he was overanalyzed. If that makes sense.

Halsey
02-20-2009, 05:51 AM
There's always going to be at least 1 RB drafted after the first who puts up first round numbers. Especially in a year like this in which there aren't many teams who look like they need a RB bad enough to draft one in the first. Someone like Shonn Greene or James Davis could go in the 2nd or 3rd and have a big rookie season.

Cocelesti
02-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Could imagine that a sleeper as Brandon Mason (RB), who is the drafts heighest runningback would be interesting to follow in the future.

His chances of being draft is probably a bit small, but a personally favorite together with H. Nicks, which I think will be absolutely fantastic in the NFL.

:D :eek:

Black Bolt
02-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I said a known player, not a player "known to be better than his draft stock." A lot of other people that responded understood what I was saying.

Black Bolt
02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I think he goes ahead of Coffman anyway.

ok, guys, watch Shawn Nelson (6-4 238 TE from Southern Miss SHOOT up the board.

Top Pre-Combine Coach Tom Shaw predicts that Nelson will "shock some people" at the Combine. "This kid, he's really a great athlete, first of all," Shaw said of Nelson. "He reminds me of Calvin Johnson. He's rated as a guy who'll run 4.6, but I'm predicting he's gonna run 4.4."

Shaw made similar 'predictions' on Chris Johnson and Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie last year.

Still think Pre-Combine Coaching Programs aren't all that important? Shaw is generally considered THE BEST. His Performance Enhancement Program has so far trained 86 first round draft picks and produced 4 of the top 5 40 guys at last year's combine.

I wouldn't be suprised if Nelson is the 2nd OR 3rd TE off the board (behind Pettigrew and perhaps Coffman.

Black Bolt
02-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Another very underrated receiver who WILL start in the NFL IMO is Jarrett Dillard from Rice. I also agree with Gartrell Johnson's NFL potential, Mr Gore.

Could be another Lance Moore.

Black Bolt
02-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Shonne Green from Iowa. He carried that team on his back.

I trade Mendenhall and draft Greene in the second if they ever want to get back to power ball.

art vandelay
02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Jordan Norwood and/or Deon Butler.

Texas Homer
02-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Chris Wells.

I think he is going to really help his draft stock.

Burger
02-20-2009, 10:41 PM
My Big RB for this year, will suprisingly be:

James Davis, I personally love how he is a balanced back. I dont know why he didn't do good last year. I love his power when he runs.

Not to be too much of a homer, Alex Mack will be a great center for years to come, like Dermonti Dawson. His Pass Blocking skills are very underrated, I dont see him giving up sacks often, at all. He was the best run blocker in the NCAA last year, look at Javid Best's numbers.

I watched the first quarter of the senior bowl tonight, and I liked how Rhett played then, he'll be like a qb for seattle and sit for a year or 2 , then dominate.

I saw the shrine game, and Jarret Dillard is a really good reciever, I really dont know why he isnt shooting up draft boards, but he'll be the biggest steal, like Marques Colston was.

BlackandGrey
02-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Kevin Ogletree

Despite never having a good QB in college, he put up solid numbers. He could very well be this year's Eddie Royal. A solid player lost on a squad that never utilized his talents to their fullest. While Ogletree will likely fall to the second day due to his injury history, he was healthy last season. With good size, hands and excellent speed, he certainly seems capable of exceeding his draft expectations.

SenorGato
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Kevin Ogletree

Despite never having a good QB in college, he put up solid numbers. He could very well be this year's Eddie Royal. A solid player lost on a squad that never utilized his talents to their fullest. While Ogletree will likely fall to the second day due to his injury history, he was healthy last season. With good size, hands and excellent speed, he certainly seems capable of exceeding his draft expectations.

QFT.

Been singing his praises for a while.

The Virginia guys this year are going to be good..Sintim, Phillips, Ogletree, and Peerman are all damn good players.

Tons of guys who'll be better players than prospects in this draft.

katnip
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Jackson hits bigger than his size. Macho is very physical, but not safety physical IMO.

Yea... I saw him around the line whenever I saw a Va. Tech game though.