PDA

View Full Version : Nnamdi Asomugha Signs With Raiders

The Legend
02-19-2009, 02:13 AM
The first person I thought would get franchised tagged would be him yet he has still not been tagged. Today is the last day so what are they waiting for?

EdReedUnstoppable
02-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Please let him go Raiders,and then please sign him Ravens!!!!

Turtlepower
02-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Please let him go Raiders,and then please sign him Ravens!!!!

As long as he doesn't sign in the NFC East, I'll be happy. =D

niel89
02-19-2009, 02:31 AM
i would kill to have a lock down corner like him on the ravens

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 02:33 AM
All the buzz is that the Raiders are close to inking a long term deal with Asomugha in the next couple days. Last I heard they were working feverishly to get something done tonight.

If the negotiations falls through, they'll definitely tag him again, since Lechler has already been brought back.

Cocelesti
02-19-2009, 02:33 AM
I would have nothing against getting him to Miami. Maybe a little wishful thinking, but his contract would be ridiculously high. But I find it hard to imagine that the Raiders would release him so easily.

They will probably find out something.

The Legend
02-19-2009, 02:59 AM
They have like 20 Hours to tag him.

OzTitan
02-19-2009, 04:54 AM
I imagine they're waiting to the last second because they're probably in the midst of negotiations for a new deal. Not that a tag would prevent that from continuing, but it acts as an initial deadline or sorts.

Or maybe the Raiders are still weighing their options. The last CB they tagged (Woodson) ended up signing the tender right away unexpectedly as a power play, stripping $10M off their cap room figure, when they really hadn't planned for that $10M to count yet.

The Legend
02-19-2009, 05:46 AM
I imagine they're waiting to the last second because they're probably in the midst of negotiations for a new deal. Not that a tag would prevent that from continuing, but it acts as an initial deadline or sorts.

Or maybe the Raiders are still weighing their options. The last CB they tagged (Woodson) ended up signing the tender right away unexpectedly as a power play, stripping $10M off their cap room figure, when they really hadn't planned for that $10M to count yet.
They tagged Aso twice now.

Sveen
02-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Sadly, he isn't going anywhere.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/archives/019775.html

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2009, 07:17 AM
As long as he doesn't sign in the NFC East, I'll be happy. =D
u mean NFC

Sveen
02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I know nothing is official yet (that's part of the reason I added the link), but based on what's come out so far I think it's pretty safe to say that the Raiders aren't letting him walk.

Splat
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I would be shocked if he is not tagged if they can't get a deal done at the least a tag and trade but I don't even see that going down.

Cicero
02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
No one needs to bother saying they want him, he's the best corner in the NFL and we all want him haha.

brat316
02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I just hope he doesn't stay with the raiders...maybe he should to the broncos and make the best cb tandem.

LonghornsLegend
02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I wanna see him get out of Oakland so bad, but I guess Al figures that's about the only draft pick that panned out and he's not letting him go anywhere.

Geo
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
I would be shocked if he is not tagged if they can't get a deal done
Same here.

d34ng3l021
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
No way he hasn't learned his lesson after being there for however long he has been in Oakland.

I think its better for both parties to franchise him and trade him. Oakland has no need for a shutdown CB when they can get help at other positions, and Asomugha can go to a place where his coverage skills will actually be appreciated by some wins.

gramage
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
The ravens need to get a hold of Asomugha. If he is franchised I think they should offer their 1st rounder with a couple other picks over the next two years. They get him, keep working with Fabian Washington and hold out hope Rolle has one more year and the secondary is in good shape.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
They tagged Aso twice now.

This time, if it happens, would be the second time. I'm not sure if that was what you were saying or not.

Geo
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/19/raiders/index.html

Asomugha, Raiders nearing deal
By Jim Trotter, SI.com

Nnamdi Asomugha and the Oakland Raiders are on the verge of a landmark contract that could bring the All-Pro cornerback $26 million, at least, in guarantees over the next two years, a source familiar with the negotiations said today.

Agent Tom Condon has forwarded the proposed contract to the NFL's Management Council for approval, which is usually the final step before a deal is finalized.

Asomugha, one of the game's top cornerbacks, will be franchised for a second consecutive year if the Management Council rejects the contract proposal. Teams have until 4 p.m. today to designate franchise players; the Raiders would use the tag on Asomugha to protect themselves from losing him in free agency without compensation.

The $26 million approximates what Asomugha would earn over the next two years if the Raiders used the franchise tag on him in 2009 and 2010. The source said the guaranteed money could climb as high as $29 million over the next two years. Even more noteworthy is the proposed deal, which runs six years for salary cap purposes, includes an out clause that would allow Asomugha to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2010 season.

Yesterday, the Raiders reached agreement with free-agent punter Shane Lechler on a $12 million, four-year deal that reportedly includes $9 million in guarantees.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Interesting. Oakland has been doing a lot of cramming guaranteed money into the first two years. The Javon Walker contract was exactly the same (in fact, all his guaranteed cash will be paid out by this June). I thought 26 million in guarantees was about right about a week ago, but now I'm very interested to see the structure of this contract. It looks pretty unique.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
i'm shocked he'd sign now, without testing the market. especially for a deal that sounds nearly identical to what he'd get if they kept tagging him.

Except here he has some long term security if he gets hurt, which was one of the major concerns he voiced after getting tagged the first time last year.

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
im not sure why he signs with oakland again

gramage
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Money. What do you think winning trumps cash? To quote Lawyer Milloy "you can't feed your family with superbowl rings."

HawkeyeFan
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I can't figure out why anyone would want to.

But that's just me.

Geo
02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
For some strange reason, I'd like it if Asomugha stays with the Raiders. It's where he came up and I think he can help turn it around.

d34ng3l021
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Money. What do you think winning trumps cash? To quote Lawyer Milloy "you can't feed your family with superbowl rings."

...You think he isn't going to get money elsewhere? I am sure each player wants to win, especially if they have been in the black hole that is Oakland.

gramage
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
...You think he isn't going to get money elsewhere? I am sure each player wants to win, especially if they have been in the black hole that is Oakland.

He could but if he likes the deal in front of him he'll take it. And as for wanting to win I think Milloy said what a lot of players think: they'd rather make more money then win superbowls. Not many guys do the Tom Brady thing and leave money on the table, and how much more money has he made off the field for being to golden boy he's become?

LonghornsLegend
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Per roto:

The Raiders reportedly don't plan to franchise tag Nnamdi Asomugha if they fail to work out a long-term deal with him by 4PM ET.
Asomugha would then hit the market and probably get more money than what Oakland is proposing. Every team in the league would have interest.
Source: Sporting News

Looks like they have a deadline to meet.

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
He could but if he likes the deal in front of him he'll take it. And as for wanting to win I think Milloy said what a lot of players think: they'd rather make more money then win superbowls. Not many guys do the Tom Brady thing and leave money on the table, and how much more money has he made off the field for being to golden boy he's become?
i dont get this argument. Why wouldnt he go somewhere where he gets the money AND he can win rings?

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, but if I had to choose between believing the Sporting News or Sports Illustrated, I know which one I'm choosing.

Geo
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I firmly believe Al Davis would franchise Asomugha for the next two years, and maybe even a third past that, before letting him walk willy-nilly.

There's no other player he'd rather have imo.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I firmly believe Al Davis would franchise Asomugha for the next two years, and maybe even a third past that, before letting him walk willy-nilly.

There's no other player he'd rather have imo.

Well, he couldn't franchise him a 4th time in a row, but yes, I'm sure that Al Davis promised to keep Asomugha around one way or another. This way Aso gets longterm security if he gets injured.

nobodyinparticular
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Yeah, as if a guy making $5 million instead of $8 million is going to have trouble feeding his family.

I freaking hate that argument from sports players. It's not about providing for your family so don't try to BS us by telling us that it is. It's about status. That's what this is all about. You want to have high status because you have so much money.

gramage
02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, as if a guy making $5 million instead of $8 million is going to have trouble feeding his family.

I freaking hate that argument from sports players. It's not about providing for your family so don't try to BS us by telling us that it is. It's about status. That's what this is all about. You want to have high status because you have so much money.

I hope I don't come off as supporting Milloy's view, I bring it up because I think it affects a lot of players decisions, I wish players had more perspective on life and money. Of course althlete's don't even understand that they aren't above the law so maybe I'm asking too much.

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
that's a valid argument if you can't actually read plain english.

"The $26 million approximates what Asomugha would earn over the next two years if the Raiders used the franchise tag on him in 2009 and 2010."

given that the raiders, from all rumors, WILL franchise him, he's earned no additional money if he signs this contract, and in fact, runs a substantial risk of getting less money on a contract than he might have in the open market.

but i'll assume next time you might actually spend 6 seconds reading a thread before blowing your load as soon as you see the post reply button.
im not sure, id work out a deal if they are going to franchise me or demand a trade or something, in his position i wouldnt have tried to sign one before that

Splat
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
ESPN is saying NA just got a 3 year deal done (45m).

Geo
02-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Good to see he gets some security.

Young Legend
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Good to see it get done now it free's up much needed cap space.

Geo
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/asomugha-lands-complex-three-year-deal-with-raiders/

Asomugha lands complex three-year deal with Raiders
Posted: February 19th, 2009 | Adam Schefter

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

Itís a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Itís a complex deal, but the bottom line is itís done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

ThePudge
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
That is a ridiculous deal for a Cornerback. Hard to blame the Raiders really, they did find a way to keep their two top players in Oakland. Wow though, it sure came at a large cost.

CC.SD
02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Wow he really re-signed? I gotta give it up for a player with team loyalty, but seriously Nnamdi deserves a better team.

Vox Populi
02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Thats a pretty dope deal. Not even a long term one, but ****, if you can get that much money quickly and that much guaranteed money, he is going to just get even more in 3 years.

Aso is what? 28, 29? Probably will be his second last contract unless he goes the old man route and junks around from team-team picking up pay checks until he is 38 or something...

Menardo75
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
That's a great job by both sides getting it done. This is a perfect deal for Aso. I still can't believe he would want to stay in Oakland though.

MetSox17
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Great work by his agent, really. He jobbed the Raiders for all he could (but hey, at least he earned it) and he's most likely gonna have the chance to pick up another 15 guaranteed after that contract is over. Good work.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Aso is what? 28, 29? Probably will be his second last contract unless he goes the old man route and junks around from team-team picking up pay checks until he is 38 or something...

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how long Asomugha's career lasts. He was mostly a safety in college and I could see a return to free safety once he starts losing some long speed, which could stretch his career out further than if he stayed at corner.

Xonraider
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
holy snap al davis did two good moves in a week!!!!!!!

locseti
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
The Raiders don’t divulge contract numbers, but the length coincides with reports by the NFL Network and CNN-SI. According to the reports, Asomugha stands to make between $28.5 million and $29 million over two years.

The third year would be at the Raiders option, so long as they pay him the franchise figure for NFL quarterbacks _ the highest salaried postion.

More to come later . . .

Wow, 29 million over two years...and an option to pay the top 5 QB avg salary in the third yr? Only a 3 yr deal?? I love Aso and am happy he's staying but this is a little over the top. Sure, one of the WR's will be on lockdown, but what about everyone else? Plus, we NEVER move Aso around, even when it's clear that the other team is lining up secondary receivers with him to have a better matchup for their primary receiver. I hope that changes with the new D coordinator.

Kurve
02-19-2009, 02:56 PM
with a signing chris johnson earlier and his performance last season we can say we wont be wasting another DB in atleast the first 2 rounds of the draft but then again he might want to pick up another saftey but i hope it wont be until 3round or later.

bernbabybern820
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Wait.... Is Haynesworth going to expect more than what Aso got now?

RaiderNation
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I like the 3 year deal. In 3 years he will probably be done as a CB and will become a FS. Teams wont be as interested in him then so if he plays FS good we can sign him again but not this kind of money. Pretty much Im just happy we get to keep our best player for 3 more years

NIN1984
02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Great news. Its gonna be nice to have Asomugha and Johnson back for the next few years.

Vox Populi
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
How much longer do you have Routt signed for?

You've also got 3 more years of Tyvon Branch and several more with Gibril. You might not even need to find anyone more than a marginal starter at FS because they should be able to look better than they really are with the rest of the talent around them.

wicket
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
i was just trying to make a big conspiracy theory where nnamdi would lead the raiders to believe he would sign the contract just to prevent them from tagging him and as soon as the deadline went by just diving in free agency and out of crazy al's grasp

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Has it ever occurred to any of you guys that he actually likes Oakland?

kmartin575
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM

If he likes losing then more power to him I suppose.

Young Legend
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
How much longer do you have Routt signed for?

You've also got 3 more years of Tyvon Branch and several more with Gibril. You might not even need to find anyone more than a marginal starter at FS because they should be able to look better than they really are with the rest of the talent around them.

Just for this year.

Komp
02-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Says the bitter Chiefs fan......

Glad to see Asomugha back in black. He's been in the Bay area since college and its nice to have him for 2-3 more years. The scary thing is he would be even better if we had any semblence of a pass rush.

wicket
02-19-2009, 06:15 PM

thats like asking if any of you guys had dutch at your high school as a second language. of course not

Vox Populi
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Having gone to Cal, hes been in the general area for 10 years and will be there for at least 2 more. Thats pretty solid given the instability of being a professional athlete.

RaiderNation
02-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Tyvon Branch is going to get his shot at FS this year if he stays healthy. He has alot of speed and hopefully is what Huff was suppose to be. Our secondary is pretty much set for a few years if Branch can step up as a starting FS

02-19-2009, 06:21 PM

We can afford to keep our franchise guys, thanks.

LonghornsLegend
02-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Wait.... Is Haynesworth going to expect more than what Aso got now?

Hell yea, he's a Free Agent...Aso would of gotten way more had he hit the market as well because when their is a bidding war the price drives up.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Hell yea, he's a Free Agent...Aso would of gotten way more had he hit the market as well because when their is a bidding war the price drives up.

Way more than an average of about 15 million per year? There's no way in hell. The most the recent top corners who signed contracts made in their final year was about ten million, and those were all fictional years that were tacked on for contract sizing.

If Asomugha would have been paid the same average on the free market for a long term contract (say 6 years), the contracts worth would have been 90 million dollars (that's not even factoring that all of the money in Oakland's contract is practically guaranteed). That would make Asomugha the best paid non-quarterback in the NFL. I really doubt the free market would have paid him that much.

Thunder&Lightning
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Raiders sign Asomugha

...believed to be the richest ever given to a defensive back.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Asomugha's deal is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, according to a league source. The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ed2440&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Money talks.

MasterShake
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
15+ mil per year!

To put that in context....Nate Clements gets like 8.5 mil per year...

bored of education
02-19-2009, 08:10 PM
:/ woopsies!

SeanTaylorRIP
02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Threads Merged.

Kurve
02-19-2009, 08:31 PM
now if only the raiders didnt go on spending 50mil on mr kelly and overpaid walker.....we might of had a chance to land free agent like haynsworth.

kmartin575
02-19-2009, 09:00 PM
We can afford to keep our franchise guys, thanks.

Uhh so can we, the hunt's just sunk millions into the arrowhead rennovations though.

Bucs_Rule
02-19-2009, 09:47 PM
15+ mil per year!

To put that in context....Nate Clements gets like 8.5 mil per year...

Clements contract is really 6 years for 44 million as the last 2 years are for 36 million.

MasterShake
02-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Clements contract is really 6 years for 44 million as the last 2 years are for 36 million.

I know the last 2 years were fluff, but I think the first 6 years come out to 52 millionish.

AlexDown
02-19-2009, 10:37 PM
15M+ per year??????????? Am I reading this right?

Everyone is saying great move, but I mean.........

RaiderNation
02-19-2009, 10:44 PM
15M+ per year??????????? Am I reading this right?

Everyone is saying great move, but I mean.........

He is clearly the best CB right now, and we needed to keep him. One he is the leader of the defense and team probably. This also shows Oakland is trying to get better by keeping key players and might draw other F/A's to sign. Asomugha will play CB for us for another 3-5 years and move to FS for how ever long he plans on playing. So far this has been a great offseason for Oakland. Now we need to get rid of wasted cap(Harris,Green,Sands,Walker,Huff) and have a draft that bulks up our Oline and Dline.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
It seems to come out to about 13 million per year in the first two years of the contract, which is basically what Oakland would have paid Asomugha if they had franchised him for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. And while the point of a long term contract is to avoid yearly cap hits like the franchise tag (and, of course, Oakland failed to really severely lessen Asomugha's 2009 cap hit through this contract as some expected they would try to do), this seems like a decent negotiation for both parties.

Asomugha gets the security he's been looking for (25+ million guaranteed in a two year contract is unheard of) and Al basically gets to lock up his best player in year after year of exclusive franchise tags without having to go through the song and dance every year.

Personally, I'm just happy he's still a Raider. Asomugha is a special guy, both for what he does on and off the field, and it would have stung to see him don another uniform. It isn't my money, and if Oakland was planning to just franchise him until it was no longer an option (as I expect they were), this agreement is much more mutual and gets everyone what they want.

Oakland should be alright cap-wise. Terdell Sands is almost certainly gone along with the last 8.6 million dollar of his contract (cap penalty free) and Javon Walker is likely gone as well along with the remaining 38 million dollars of that contract (and all of that cap penalty free as well).

holt_bruce81
02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Good signing for the Raiders, even if it's a bit much.

MetSox17
02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
It seems to come out to about 13 million per year in the first two years of the contract, which is basically what Oakland would have paid Asomugha if they had franchised him for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. And while the point of a long term contract is to avoid yearly cap hits like the franchise tag (and, of course, Oakland failed to really severely lessen Asomugha's 2009 cap hit through this contract as some expected they would try to do), this seems like a decent negotiation for both parties.

Asomugha gets the security he's been looking for (25+ million guaranteed in a two year contract is unheard of) and Al basically gets to lock up his best player in year after year of exclusive franchise tags without having to go through the song and dance every year.

How were they supposed to lessen the cap hit? It's in essence a two year deal. Did you want the cap hit to be 8 million this year, and 20 million next?

Paranoidmoonduck
02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
How were they supposed to lessen the cap hit? It's in essence a two year deal. Did you want the cap hit to be 8 million this year, and 20 million next?

No, I just meant that often the advantage to signing a player to the long term who might have otherwise gotten the franchise tag is freeing up a lot of cap space in the first or first two years. I don't think any would have predicted a 3 year contract for Nnamdi a couple days ago.

BlindSite
02-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Wow, looks like Chris Gamble was a bargain. Its a decent move by the raiders but it seems to me he decided to jack his price up through the roof in the hopes of them allowing him to hit the streets and ol' al davis agreed to an exorbitant amount.

RaiderNation
02-20-2009, 04:26 PM
According to the transactions on raiders.com, we have released SS Gibril Wilson. Its wierd though. When you first go to transactions it doesnt say he was, but when you click 2009 again it says he was

Kurve
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Wilson got cut wow thought he did good must be cap space hmmmm

Splat
02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
People around nfl not happy with Raiders.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Execs-taken-aback-by-Asomugha-Lechler-deals?urn=nfl,142741

"How many different ways can you say, 'What were they thinking?' " a team executive who declined to be identified said after being told the terms of Asomugha's three-year, $45 million contract (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-asomughacontract021909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).

"Insanity, stupidity, whatever you want to attach to it. Yeah, the kid is the best cornerback in the league. They paid for quality. I'll give them that. But that deal wrecks the league. Absolutely wrecks it. Ö I'm sure Al doesn't care, but it's deals like that that change the league for the worse."

"And still hit free agency at the right time for one more big contract, assuming he's healthy," a second team executive said, shaking his head.

"You can argue that Haynesworth is a defensive tackle or that he's a bad guy," said a third team executive. "But if a cornerback gets what the Raiders just paid, a defensive tackle like Haynesworth is going to get a serious pay day as well."

nobodyinparticular
02-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Wilson got cut wow thought he did good must be cap space hmmmm

I think part of the problem is that he wasn't happy with Oakland. He was pretty vocal in the last half of the season about it too. I think Cable wants to have people who are on board and will go all out. Wilson wasn't there, neither were Curry nor Edwards.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-20-2009, 09:39 PM
People around nfl not happy with Raiders.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Execs-taken-aback-by-Asomugha-Lechler-deals?urn=nfl,142741

"How many different ways can you say, 'What were they thinking?' " a team executive who declined to be identified said after being told the terms of Asomugha's three-year, $45 million contract (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-asomughacontract021909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).

"Insanity, stupidity, whatever you want to attach to it. Yeah, the kid is the best cornerback in the league. They paid for quality. I'll give them that. But that deal wrecks the league. Absolutely wrecks it. Ö I'm sure Al doesn't care, but it's deals like that that change the league for the worse."

"And still hit free agency at the right time for one more big contract, assuming he's healthy," a second team executive said, shaking his head.

"You can argue that Haynesworth is a defensive tackle or that he's a bad guy," said a third team executive. "But if a cornerback gets what the Raiders just paid, a defensive tackle like Haynesworth is going to get a serious pay day as well."

Sounds about right. These contracts always drive up the price of players. It's a good day to be Albert Haynesworth.

Xonraider
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I think part of the problem is that he wasn't happy with Oakland. He was pretty vocal in the last half of the season about it too. I think Cable wants to have people who are on board and will go all out. Wilson wasn't there, neither were Curry nor Edwards.

hmm I wonder how happy this makes Nnamdi right now

Ness
02-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Good signing for Oakland. Certainly expensive, but he is the best cornerback in the league.

cunningham06
02-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Where The Hell Do The Raiders Keep Getting All Of This Money For These Massive Contracts??????

shane_man
02-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds about right. These contracts always drive up the price of players. It's a good day to be Albert Haynesworth.

... And Demarcus Ware. Has James Harrison signed his new deal yet? Yeah I'm betting he's sitting there rubbing his hands together.

The league is going to need an uncapped year just to cover all of this silly contracts.

Should the NFL install the NBA model for contract negotiations? At this point. The question really has to be asked.

Addict
02-22-2009, 08:40 AM
... And Demarcus Ware. Has James Harrison signed his new deal yet? Yeah I'm betting he's sitting there rubbing his hands together.

The league is going to need an uncapped year just to cover all of this silly contracts.

Should the NFL install the NBA model for contract negotiations? At this point. The question really has to be asked.

Every year, it's the same story. Every year we cry about salary regulations, rookie contracts and all that. Nothing ever changes.

It's funny though, the USA is falling apart financially and economically and at the same time the NFL just keeps spending more and more cash.

shane_man
02-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Every year, it's the same story. Every year we cry about salary regulations, rookie contracts and all that. Nothing ever changes.

It's funny though, the USA is falling apart financially and economically and at the same time the NFL just keeps spending more and more cash.

That's because Gene Upshaw had a hard on to extract as much money as possible from ownership as possible. I'm definately in favour of a graded paying scale... But getting the players to agree to it is another thing as it would probably mean the end of 15Mill a season contracts for at least 4-5 years.(at which point the NFL will be generating the cash to sustain such contracts)... I really do think that player wages are increasing faster then the salary cap is.

Addict
02-22-2009, 09:03 AM
That's because Gene Upshaw had a hard on to extract as much money as possible from ownership as possible. I'm definately in favour of a graded paying scale... But getting the players to agree to it is another thing as it would probably mean the end of 15Mill a season contracts for at least 4-5 years.(at which point the NFL will be generating the cash to sustain such contracts)... I really do think that player wages are increasing faster then the salary cap is.

they'll just raise the cap more. Either that or the NFL will self-destruct because of Gene Upshaw's hardon and greedy agents.

MetSox17
02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
... And Demarcus Ware.

DeMarcus Ware (at the point where he signs his contract) was gonna be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL regardless, i can guarantee you that much.

All the execs bitching about the Raiders giving that much money to Asomugha, you know what? Tough _(expletive)_. What the Raiders do, is up to the Raiders, and that's it. If you don't wanna pay Albert Haynesworth 35 million guaranteed, then don't! If someone else is willing to do that for him, then congratulate him and wish him luck. I hate these jerk-offs that get upset that another guy got paid, just cause it might drive up the price on another guy they'd want. If enough teams said no to giving Haynesworth that much money, he would have no leverage and would be forced to drive down his asking price (See MLB off-season 09, Manny Ramirez).