KILLERSANTA
03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
just on ESPN

GB12
03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Just saw it on SC.

JustJoe2k5
Heard it on the radio. Jones and Bears' second-round pick to Jets for the Jets' second-round pick.

Xiomera
we can officially kiss the vilma to detroit rumor goodbye . . .

princefielder28
Good pick up for NYJ, now Leon Washington can be the 3rd down back

DI
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeup. Beat me to it. I believe it was Jones and Chicago's 2nd Rounder for the Jets 2nd Rounder.

49erfaithful
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Now they wont draft a RB on Day 1 probally

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeup. Beat me to it. I believe it was Jones and Chicago's 2nd Rounder for the Jets 2nd Rounder.

The Jets 2nd rounder acquired from Washington I assume . . . not their late 2nd rounder of their own.

RaiderNation
03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
good trade for both teams

BehrenMan007
03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Yea, most likelt Wash's

Space Ghost
03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
That trade seems pretty good, was the pick the Jets sent their second or Washington's second, If it was their second the trade seems kind of lame, trading up 6 spots and losing a talented back... Getting Washington's second however gives them 2 picks separated by only 6 selections and gives them the ability to trade up in round one a lot easier if they want to do so to grab a top tier safety.

KILLERSANTA
Just saw it on SC.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6898/ownedil4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

GermanSaint
vilma for the saints 2nd rounder and some day two picks , i would agree

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 05:48 PM
What do the Bears do now? They have two picks in the 30's . . . TE and OL?

Flyboy
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
vilma for the saints 2nd rounder and some day two picks , i would agree

What the hell? That was extremely random. Anyhow... with this trade, this is officially the craziest NFL off-season that I have witnessed.

bearsfan_51
Groovy. Jones will be the primary back in New York (which he deserves to be) and we dealt with one minor distraction. Plus we don't play the Jets for another 3 years so he won't be around to bother us.

I've been calling either Baltimore or New York for quite a while now for what it counts.

SFbear
It better be Wash's 2nd or we got hosed.

bearsfan_51
Knowing Angelo they'll probably trade down with one of those picks for more picks anyway.

BehrenMan007
03-05-2007, 05:50 PM
It better be Wash's 2nd or we got hosed.

It is. #37 for Jones and #63

Flyboy
03-05-2007, 05:50 PM

All signs point to the Bears not needing a TE. Desmond Clark played extremely well for them last season.. my guess would OL, LB (to groom as a replacement for Briggs), and safety (Brandon Meriweather instantly comes to mind).

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
All signs point to the Bears not needing a TE. Desmond Clark played extremely well for them last season.. my guess would OL, LB (to groom as a replacement for Briggs), and safety (Brandon Meriweather instantly comes to mind).
Michael Griffith all the way.

Tubby
03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
The jets love RB's, dont they?

Flyboy
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Damn, forgot about Griffith. Either way, the point is still there... I think a safety will be one of the targets. Mike Brown has been pure paper lately which is a shame because he's a damn good player when healthy.

Smokey Joe
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
This is a very good trade. The point value between 37 and 63 was about the value of a mid 3rd rounder, correct? Thomas Jones' value was at about a 3rd round pick, IMO.

Also, with Briggs likely to be traded, where the Bears would get an early first day pick likely, the Bears could end up with 3 picks in the 20-30's.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 05:54 PM
It is. #37 for Jones and #63
That's a pretty nice value for the Bears. It equals to the 67th pick (3rd pick in the 3rd round) for those that are too lazy to use the value chart. Considering that most of us were simply asking for a 3rd, a high 3rd is a pretty nice coup for a guy with only one year left on his contract.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
This is a very good trade. The point value between 37 and 63 was about the value of a mid 3rd rounder, correct? Thomas Jones' value was at about a 3rd round pick, IMO.

Also, with Briggs likely to be traded, where the Bears would get an early first day pick likely, the Bears could end up with 3 picks in the 20-30's.
I'd say there is a 30% chance at best that Briggs will get traded. Don't be fooled by today's comments. He'll likely skip all of training camp and show up and make his money.

Flyboy
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
There IS always a chance that Briggs pulls a McCardell in Tampa so you never really know. I like this trade for both teams except one thing that bothers me is I'm not sure about Cedric Benson being the fulltime back. I mean, that was his calling card at UT but so far in the league he's had his case of the injuries.

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
very nice. I know i am probably alone in this one, but i actually hated playing Jones Twice a year and i am actually really glad it will be Benson and not him. I really think the Jets got the better end of this one.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
very nice. I know i am probably alone in this one, but i actually hated playing Jones Twice a year and i am actually really glad it will be Benson and not him. I really think the Jets got the better end of this one.

The Bears got the value of a very high 3rd for a 28 year old runningback that would have left the team after this year. I'm not saying the Jets got a bad deal because Jones is a great player, but this is a great trade for the Bears.

The Dynasty
03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Im glad to see him out of the North. I Can deal with a pounding running back but Thomas' speed killed us.

SFbear
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Thomas Jones will be missed. He was a great veteran prescence and a consistent producer even when our passing game was nonexistent. In an ideal world we never would have drafted Benson in the first place, but we did so let the Cedric Benson era begin. We got good value in the trade and Jones gets a starring role in a young up and coming team. Bears and Jets should be very happy with the trade.

Vilma the Animal
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
The Bears got the value of a very high 3rd for a 28 year old runningback that would have left the team after this year. I'm not saying the Jets got a bad deal because Jones is a great player, but this is a great trade for the Bears.

Well I'm also ecstatic, along with every other Jets fan I've talked to, so I guess if both teams fans are very happy its a win win. Great trade for both teams!

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Nice pick up for the Jets. Seeing that the Bears pretty much had to trade Jones, it is a good trade for them too, practically picking up another 1st rounder.

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM

For the future it is, but I predict this will effect their offense immensly next year.

Gridiron
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
It's a great deal for both teams, IMO.

Zim3031
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I originally hated the idea of trading a first day pick for a runningback with so much mileage, but we're really only moving down a little bit. It gets my approval.

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Jerry Angelo is GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 2nd Round pick for him? Are you freaking kidding me, awesome trade, whoooaodhahoighoiahgohaoghoah!!!!

I'm so happy right now. I love TJ but a 2nd rounder, come on now.:D:D:D:D

ChiFan24
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Thomas Jones will be missed. He was a great veteran prescence and a consistent producer even when our passing game was nonexistent. In an ideal world we never would have drafted Benson in the first place, but we did so let the Cedric Benson era begin. We got good value in the trade and Jones gets a starring role in a young up and coming team. Bears and Jets should be very happy with the trade.

How is it ideal to not have Benson? He's going to be a great back.

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Eh, the Jets got the wrong Jones brother.

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh and we gave up our 2nd Rounder too...Eh, I still really like the trade. I thought we got him straight up though, haha.

nyjets5125
03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
The jets love RB's, dont they?
if you're saying that they have many RB's.....they had 5 RB's on the roster goign into this offseason, Curtis Martin, Leon Washington, Cedric Houston, Kevan Barlow, and Derrick Blaylock....they cut barlow and blaylock.....curtis is likely to retire.....giving them leon and cedric, who are clearly not a great backfield....now with thomas jones, they have jones as the primary back, leon as a 3rd-down back and a change of pace RB due to his great speed, and cedric as an additional power back who would probably be a good back if he could stay healthy

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Groovy. Jones will be the primary back in New York (which he deserves to be) and we dealt with one minor distraction. Plus we don't play the Jets for another 3 years so he won't be around to bother us.

I've been calling either Baltimore or New York for quite a while now for what it counts.
*Jotting note down in the NFLDC record books...bearsfan_51 can predict the future* :D

toonsterwu
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Heck of a trade for both sides. The Jets got a guy who can step in right now and has the mileage to likely maintain a high level of play for 3-4 years. The Bears got as good a value as could have been possible (early-mid 3rd, depending on the chart used). I'll miss Thomas, and I hope and pray that Benson is anywhere as good as Bears fans and Angelo/organization think. He really needs to stay in Chicago this offseason and learn the intricacies of being a pro back.

What will the Bears do with the picks now? I'd still look TE/WR (only one ...) or LB as the top of the list. It'll somewhat depend on how this Lance Briggs thing turns out. I'd look at S/OL next after that.

Jets get a guy who steps in right away, and they still have 2 2nd rounders. Sure, they drop a bit, but the value is fairly balanced from late 1st-3rd that they potentially don't lose out on that much.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
If you ask me, Chicago got a bad deal. They lost their starting RB to move up what, 20 spots in this year's draft. I know Jones wanted out, but seriously, they must have been desperate to get rid of him. Oh well, one less team to scoop up Brian Leonard in the second.

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Knowing Angelo they'll probably trade down with one of those picks for more picks anyway.

I'd trade the #31 for a 2nd and a 4th.

Jonathan_VIlma
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
vilma for the saints 2nd rounder and some day two picks , i would agreeI'm assuming you mean that, and your next two drafts as well, right?

I like the trade, I think Thomas Jones is going to be a nice back in aiding us to win, while we find out if Leon will ever be a feature back.

Assuming that we sign David Bowens/Kenyon Coleman to replace or aid Kimo at defensive end, the only thing we're looking at in the draft right now is a offensive tackle OR guard, and a 3-4 linebacker. That of course is with three picks within the top 70 now.

Xiomera
If you ask me, Chicago got a bad deal. They lost their starting RB to move up what, 20 spots in this year's draft. I know Jones wanted out, but seriously, they must have been desperate to get rid of him. Oh well, one less team to scoop up Brian Leonard in the second.

I am gonna have to agree. It seems like Chicago might have preferred to just acquire a pick straight up for him. Instead of simply upgrading their pick.

sweetness34

How is this a bad deal for the Bears? The point value is good, and with the pick we have from the Jets, we basically have another 1st Rounder (5th pick in the 2nd Round). I've been calling for Ced to be the man all year long and now he's that chance.

It's a great trade for both sides.

toonsterwu
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM

From Angelo's perspective (not that I agree), the idea is to remove distractions and help solidify chemistry within the team to make a run (the problem with that thinking is trading Jones and having issues with Briggs isn't going to play well with the veterans in the locker room). Jones was leaving after next year anyways. And Angelo does have an ego and probably was partially motivated on account for wanting to get his guy in there in Benson.

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
So can we expect to see Adrian Peterson backing up Benson? or will they look to acquire a veteran in free agency?

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
So can we expect to see Adrian Peterson backing up Benson? or will they look to acquire a veteran in free agency?

We'll look at RB I think in the middle rounds. Possibly a Brandon Jackson or something.

I like AP and I think he's a very capable backup, but JA loves drafting for depth, so I see an RB being added in the draft sometime.

toonsterwu
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Guess here is that they'll draft a young back. I wouldn't be surprised with someone like, say, Antonio Pittman or Lorenzo Booker, someone that will offer a change of pace to Benson in terms of running style.

nyjets5125
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm assuming you mean that, and your next two drafts as well, right?

I like the trade, I think Thomas Jones is going to be a nice back in aiding us to win, while we find out if Leon will ever be a feature back.

Assuming that we sign David Bowens/Kenyon Coleman to replace or aid Kimo at defensive end, the only thing we're looking at in the draft right now is a offensive tackle OR guard, and a 3-4 linebacker. That of course is with three picks within the top 70 now.

and a CB, and then i wouldnt be surprised with a WR or TE particularly if Greg Olsen is left at 25

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Guess here is that they'll draft a young back. I wouldn't be surprised with someone like, say, Antonio Pittman or Lorenzo Booker, someone that will offer a change of pace to Benson in terms of running style.
I think they'd have to use the 37th to get Pittman, which seems unlikely given their needs, but I wouldn't mind it at all.

Peterson deserves to be the #2 IMO and the staff has said that is what they planned on doing (prior to the Jones trade). Then again people say a lot of stuff that isn't true before the draft so you never know.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
*Jotting note down in the NFLDC record books...bearsfan_51 can predict the future* :D
Well, half the future anyway.

toonsterwu
I think Peterson will get a shot at more carries, but his skillset, I just don't believe, is diverse enough to balance out Benson. But eh, tis early so who knows. He's a nice solid 3rd stringer who, in the right situations, could be a capable 2nd stringer. I am just not sold on him having the skillset to be a solid 2nd stringer for us in terms of what we need out of a guy to balance Benson.

bigbluedefense
The Bears continue to make great moves. Both sides got what they wanted, and the Bears are really gonna have a good draft now, I can feel it.

Jerry Angelo is doing a terrific job over there. Barring injuries, I can see this team doing just as good if not better next year with a solid draft, which is almost a given with Angelo's track record.

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
They will not snake Lorenzo from the Pack.

shavedaeyebrow2
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I absolutely love the trade! We get an underrated back and don't lose any draft picks. Though we do lose position of a pick, I still love it! Jets Fans like what Management did! It's a miracle!

gio
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
awesome move..didn't think the trade was too bad either..vilma stays with us, and now we can save that pick reserved for a RB for another position. downhill runner, im liking it.

SFbear
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
The Bears continue to make great moves. Both sides got what they wanted, and the Bears are really gonna have a good draft now, I can feel it.

Jerry Angelo is doing a terrific job over there. Barring injuries, I can see this team doing just as good if not better next year with a solid draft, which is almost a given with Angelo's track record.

That's pretty optimistic. This could all blow up in our face if Benson turns out to be a bust. I doubt that will happen but their is still some uncertainty about him being the feature back. God I hope he lives to the hype of the #4 overall pick.

bigbluedefense
03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
That's pretty optimistic. This could all blow up in our face if Benson turns out to be a bust. I doubt that will happen but their is still some uncertainty about him being the feature back. God I hope he lives to the hype of the #4 overall pick.

He never blew up before because he's a 25 carry back. You can't use him sporadically and expect results. He doesn't have the breakaway speed for that. Expect a big year out of him.

Im not necessarily saying they will make the SB again, but I think they definately will prove the haters wrong that they were a fluke team. They definately have the potential to make it back. Theyre a good team, with potential to be even better. Especially on offense, where their offense is underrated and developing. Add a TE or a WR opposite of Berrian from this draft, and you got yourself a complete team.

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Mark Bradley could be that complimenting WR if he can get back to 100%. But I'd like a big physical WR sometime in this draft. Like a Jarrett, Meachem, Baker, etc...

VoteLynnSwan
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
awesome move..didn't think the trade was too bad either..vilma stays with us, and now we can save that pick reserved for a RB for another position. downhill runner, im liking it.

Thomas Jones is NOT a downhill runner FYI... you'll see what i'm talking about when he plays... He dances way too much for my liking.

bigbluedefense
03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Mark Bradley could be that complimenting WR if he can get back to 100%. But I'd like a big physical WR sometime in this draft. Like a Jarrett, Meachem, Baker, etc...

Would the Bears consider the TE from Miami? Clark is getting old, and he's slow.

Gonzalez could be had with the 2nd round pick they got now, I think he's gonna be a stud WR and a nice compliment to Berrian.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Would the Bears consider the TE from Miami? Clark is getting old, and he's slow.

Gonzalez could be had with the 2nd round pick they got now, I think he's gonna be a stud WR and a nice compliment to Berrian.

Sidney Rice could probably be had at #37 too, and I would MUUUUUCH rather have him. Please see the Bears thread for my top 10 list, and feel free to offer your suggestions, opinions as well.

The Unseen
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Seems like a fair deal on both sides. We'll get to see what Cedric Benson is all about.

VoteLynnSwan
03-05-2007, 07:12 PM

people forget that we just spent a 2nd rounder (high 2nd rounder at that) on Mark Bradley... Anthony Gonzalez doesn't give us anything a healthy Bradley doesn't... A replacement for Moose (and Justin Gage) is what we need... think a big receiver like Dwayne Jarrett, Sidney Rice, Dallas Baker, in that order.

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Gonzo isn't the type of WR we need though. We need another Moose type guy. A big, physical WR that can go over the middle, get out of press, and is a red zone target. We really don't need another burner. I like Gonzo too, but not for us.

IMO we'd take Miller before Olsen. Greg is a pass catching TE, but we'd need an all around TE like Miller for our system.

Geo
03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Wow, great move by the Jets.

The 37th overall pick isn't that far off from 1st round value, and the Jets could have had the chance to draft a stud left guard like Ben Grubbs or Aaron Sears, but to only have to trade 2nd round picks to get a legit RB like Thomas Jones is well done imo.

The Bears weren't going to re-sign Jones, so this allows them to get as described above a borderline 1st round pick - one they themselves could use to bring in talented youth to their offensive line - although I'm partly surprised they acquiesced for what they did. Then again, the draft value chart would indicate that Jones has a value of the 67th overall pick, the 3rd pick of the 3rd round, in this trade and that sounds more right than wrong.

Geo
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Also an excellent day for fantasy football owners, we just got 3 more legit RBs in Travis Henry (Denver), Thomas Jones (New York Jets), and Cedric Benson (Chicago).

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Also an excellent day for fantasy football owners, we just got 3 more legit RBs in Travis Henry (Denver), Thomas Jones (New York Jets), and Cedric Benson (Chicago).
Very true. If all goes well, Benson could put up Ricky Williams like fantasty numbers, especially in the redzone.

21ST
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
That is a good move for both teams, Bears move up and get rid of someone they really dont need and the jets get a good RB for a pick swap.

'cuse-213
03-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I am one happy Jets fan.

art vandelay
03-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Alright...so this is good for the Bills. Sets McGahee's trade value at at least a 2nd Rounder, IMO.

diabsoule
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Very good trade for both teams. I think Jones will be a very effective back in New York.

Man_Of_Steel
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Great deal for the Jets. Benson betterr be able to carry the load.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
On a side note, Jones holds the records for most yards in a playoff game, which he set this year against the Saints. Kinda odd that he's leaving with a record for a runningback considering the pedigree that this team has at the position historically.

locseti
03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
This is a steal for the Jets! Did Thomas Jones want out?

frogstomp
03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Excellent. Now we don't need Leonard, because he sorta worried me. Good trade!

Number 10
03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Solid trade for both sides.

Jets get an every down back to pair up with the up and coming Leon Washington. Jones is what they need in the sense that he can grind it out for 25 carries a game and stil be effective late in games to play the style of football Mangini wants. If they continue to build that O-line with say a Blalock, Grubbs, or Sears....Jones could have a HUGE year.

Bears are catching on that the picks after #40 are not that valuable because the depth in this draft is weak. I love seeing this because I have been bashed for saying this draft is weak overall but here I am watching 3 of the best drafting teams in the NFL (Pats, Bears, Broncos) strengthining my point. They will get two more very solid players with 31 and 37 and if they decided to stay with defense, I could easily see Timmons and Nelson in Chicago which is downright scary if you think about it.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't really see how the value of the 67th pick is a steal when the Hawks and Cards couldn't get a 2nd for Edge or Alexander. It's a fine trade for the Jets, but a steal it is not.

Hurricane Ditka
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't really see how the value of the 67th pick is a steal when the Hawks and Cards couldn't get a 2nd for Edge or Alexander. It's a fine trade for the Jets, but a steal it is not.

For the reasons you've given it's a steal for the Bears.

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Mark Bradley could be that complimenting WR if he can get back to 100%

i agree completely, and davis could be a great #3 wr for them, which is why i think olsen would be a great pick if he was still there...

bradley has shown more then enough potential, but he hasnt been able to stay on the field, i think he could be approaching a breakout year...ive seen alot of him from college and he's a huge playmaker, he still hasnt reached his full potential so i dont see why the bears would want to go WR so early

jetsfan3
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Very good news for the Jets, a proven every-down back is exactly what we need.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Olsen isn't a tight end. At least not in the Bears offense. He's way too thin. IF they draft Olsen (which he won't fall to 31 anyway and they won't trade up for him) they would have to completely reinvent their offense. It won't happen.

Gribble
03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't like this trade for the Bears. The owners seem to be setting a precedent that they don't want to pay pivotal players on the team, tying this in with the Briggs situation (trade me or else). Another issue is that they already got to the Super Bowl last year. Who's gonna make a bigger difference, Jones or a rookie like Dwayne Jarrett or Greg Olsen? This team's goals seem to be out of whack in that they are contenders to win the NFC every year and now want to change the makeup of their offense from an elite two back system into a shaky one back contingent. This move could be like the Seahawks loss of Steve Hutchinson last year in that it really affects the offense and may cost them a game or two.

For the Jets, it's a no-brainer in that they still have a 2 2nd rounders and now have a stud RB. This team is really on the rise and with the Bills looking to shop McGahee and a possible rookie QB in Miami they could sneak into the playoffs again.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
i like it. i've thought Thomas Jones was a solid back for a long time, and i don't have one objection to him coming to the Jets. solid pickup. plus, now its the end of that "rumor" of Vilma to the Jets, thank goodness

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't like this trade for the Bears. The owners seem to be setting a precedent that they don't want to pay pivotal players on the team, tying this in with the Briggs situation (trade me or else). Another issue is that they already got to the Super Bowl last year. Who's gonna make a bigger difference, Jones or a rookie like Dwayne Jarrett or Greg Olsen? This team's goals seem to be out of whack in that they are contenders to win the NFC every year and now want to change the makeup of their offense from an elite two back system into a shaky one back contingent. This move could be like the Seahawks loss of Steve Hutchinson last year in that it really affects the offense and may cost them a game or two.

For the Jets, it's a no-brainer in that they still have a 2 2nd rounders and now have a stud RB. This team is really on the rise and with the Bills looking to shop McGahee and a possible rookie QB in Miami they could sneak into the playoffs again.

This move has nothing at all to do with money. They drafted Benson at #4, he's going into his third year, they're going to start him.

As for your other comments, the smart teams are the ones that plan for the long-term. The Pats and Eagles let players come and go all the time, they seem to do okay for themselves.

Hurricane Ditka
03-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Olsen isn't a tight end. At least not in the Bears offense. He's way too thin. IF they draft Olsen (which he won't fall to 31 anyway and they won't trade up for him) they would have to completely reinvent their offense. It won't happen.I have to agree, of the top 2 Miller fits the Bears offense more than Olsen does.

Caddy
03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Good trade for the Bears. Benson should have few troubles carrying the load and has looked good in limited appearances, and the Bears now have a higher pick in round 2 to grab a better player.

Severe Punishment
03-05-2007, 11:37 PM
The jets get the better end of the deal in my opinion.
Thomas Jones still has roughly 4 solid years left..and will be a 1100 yard rusher behind that young O-Line. Pennington is vastly under reated and if he
can stay healthy the jets are in very good position to be a wild card.

The Bears get an unproven prospect and are now forced to play Benson whether he's ready or not. Personally I was never that high on him and thought he wasn't the kind of RB the Bears needed. They lost a team guy in Jones...and it's going to hurt them.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 11:48 PM
The jets get the better end of the deal in my opinion.
Thomas Jones still has roughly 4 solid years left..and will be a 1100 yard rusher behind that young O-Line. Pennington is vastly under reated and if he
can stay healthy the jets are in very good position to be a wild card.

The Bears get an unproven prospect and are now forced to play Benson whether he's ready or not. Personally I was never that high on him and thought he wasn't the kind of RB the Bears needed. They lost a team guy in Jones...and it's going to hurt them.

Jones only would have been with the team for one more year anyway.

And all draft picks are unproven. You would take any player that has produced over a draft pick? As for being "forced" to play Benson, he would have started this year regardless. It's his third year in the league, if he's not ready now he never will be.

Non_Sequitur
03-06-2007, 01:10 AM
It's a fair deal, and that's all there is too it.

The best thing about this deal, from the Jets' perspective, is that we now do not have to spend a first day pick on a running back. True, we moved down, but that pick would have likely been used on an RB anyhow. This allows us to focus on other areas of need.

Or if the rumor of our trade up to number 2 overall with the Lions for our 1st and a "defensive starter" turns out to be true, we still have 3 first day picks.

The Bears gave up a player who no longer fit with the team, and move up quite a few spots in the process. While everyone in the locker room loves Jones (a good sign for the Jets) he just didn't fit with the ownership as they have big time dollars invested in Benson. He's the A-Rod of the locker room, in that he's getting paid big time dollars, but not many people actually like him and the Bears are stuck with him.

And look at it this way... the Bears now have the Ammo to move up for Brady Quinn, if he slips out of the top 8....

NGSeiler
03-06-2007, 01:17 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but IMO that's prime position for a trade up should someone they like slip into a reasonable spot. The values for the 31st and 37th picks would allow Chicago to trade into the top fifteen if they wanted. Perhaps not likely, but a possibility I think.

Non_Sequitur
03-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but IMO that's prime position for a trade up should someone they like slip into a reasonable spot. The values for the 31st and 37th picks would allow Chicago to trade into the top fifteen if they wanted. Perhaps not likely, but a possibility I think.

That's what I was saying about Quinn. Rumors keep swirling that he'll slip out of the top 10... if he does, why don't the Bears get a legit QB by trading up?

SeanTaylorRIP
03-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Ah deal makes sense I watched the 5:00 news this morning and they said TJ for the Jets 2nd rounder so I was thinking WTF.

KBear
03-06-2007, 05:33 AM
That's what I was saying about Quinn. Rumors keep swirling that he'll slip out of the top 10... if he does, why don't the Bears get a legit QB by trading up?

Angelo does not normally trade draft picks in order to move up in the first round of the draft. He rarely trades up, and given that this trade is basically moving up in the draft for Angelo, I really dont expect it to happen twice in the same year.

Besides, I dont think they will pay first round money to a QB when they already have paid first round money to one QB, and spent more $ on their backup. Having three will just create more problems. I have heard the agruments for the Bears to draft a QB this year, but I dont buy them. Next year maybe, but they need to evaluate Grossman this year to see if he is their guy, and if not they still have Griese and they are developing Orton still.

KBear
03-06-2007, 05:41 AM
i agree completely, and davis could be a great #3 wr for them, which is why i think olsen would be a great pick if he was still there...

bradley has shown more then enough potential, but he hasnt been able to stay on the field, i think he could be approaching a breakout year...ive seen alot of him from college and he's a huge playmaker, he still hasnt reached his full potential so i dont see why the bears would want to go WR so early

It normally takes WR about three years to develop, and at such time Moose will be gone, and Berrian and/or Bradley might not be on the team because their contracts will have run out (even if they are resigned the Bears will still need a physical WR to compliment them). Still, thats not enough to draft one in round one, but if Angelo sticks with going with the best athlete avaailabe, there is a good chance that it will be a wr.

frogstomp
03-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I just love that we were going to spend that pick on a running back, but now we don't have to, and we still have both picks. I don't see how any Jets fan could be disappointed, as I'd much rather have T.J. carrying the ball than Brian Leonard.

bearsfan_51
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I just love that we were going to spend that pick on a running back, but now we don't have to, and we still have both picks. I don't see how any Jets fan could be disappointed, as I'd much rather have T.J. carrying the ball than Brian Leonard.
The only downside, I suppose, is that Jones is going to get about 12-14 million guaranteed in his new contract. Which is not unreasonable for this market at all, but still a large chunk of change to give a 28 year old runningback as opposed to the small contracts that 2nd round picks demand.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Thomas isn't really, in terms of wear and tear, a 28/29 year old back. Most backs at that age, you think they have about 2 or so good seasons left. I think Thomas can have 3-4 quality seasons left before the decline begins.

Who knows, though. We are only speculating on the body, which is an inexact effort to speculate on.

bearsfan_51
03-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Thomas isn't really, in terms of wear and tear, a 28/29 year old back. Most backs at that age, you think they have about 2 or so good seasons left. I think Thomas can have 3-4 quality seasons left before the decline begins.

Who knows, though. We are only speculating on the body, which is an inexact effort to speculate on.

No I agree. I wouldn't have the same concerns with Jones as I would with others. I think age is somewhat overrated in general as of late anyway. All of these age limits are very flexible in terms of a players history and ability to take care of themselves.

hcbrad08
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
No I agree. I wouldn't have the same concerns with Jones as I would with others. I think age is somewhat overrated in general as of late anyway. All of these age limits are very flexible in terms of a players history and ability to take care of themselves.

Jones has averaged 200 carries throughout his carreer that is so low for a guy who ran for almost 5500 yards. RB's can run late in their carreer as long as they're not too banged up. Jones has ALWAYS shared time and will last a lot longer than most expect

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 01:53 PM
A side note about Jones -

The guy is one of the most physically fit guys there is. That could potentially help extend his career longer. I am guessing, if utilized correctly, that he has 3-4 good years ahead of him, but I could see more. With Leon Washington and Cedric Houston spelling him (and that's a tandem whose talents mesh well), Thomas should be given enough breathers.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2007, 01:59 PM
i also think leon washington will be more then just a 3rd down back, i could see him getting a little more carries then just on 3rd, he showed flashes last year, and with a great back in front of him i think his speed will be dangerous

jetsfan3
03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
i also think leon washington will be more then just a 3rd down back, i could see him getting a little more carries then just on 3rd, he showed flashes last year, and with a great back in front of him i think his speed will be dangerous

He is also a big threat in the recieving game out of the backfield.

Bears fans, how is Thomas Jones as a reciever out of the backfield, because that's what Pennington likes to do?

Number 10
03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Has there been any news regarding the extension? Because I don't think the deal goes through until that happens.

Severe Punishment
03-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Jones only would have been with the team for one more year anyway.

And all draft picks are unproven. You would take any player that has produced over a draft pick? As for being "forced" to play Benson, he would have started this year regardless. It's his third year in the league, if he's not ready now he never will be.

Not convinced of that. It was pretty well known that he was the players choice to be the starting RB and that Benson has always been managements choice. You guys lost more than just a starting Rb IMO, you lost the heart and soul of that offense.

Benson is the biggest question mark in the league at RB, the guy hasn't even completed a single season injury free and he's going to start 16 games for ya ? PLUS pre season AND playoffs ??.....just a bad personel move IMO.
If I were Chicago I'd have dumped the unproven Benson and kept the guy
who the team loves and whose given me his heart and soul for the last 3 years.

As a Viking fan I have to say, without a proven running game, I think the Bears lost a step on the entire NFC.

KBear
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
He is also a big threat in the recieving game out of the backfield.

Bears fans, how is Thomas Jones as a reciever out of the backfield, because that's what Pennington likes to do?

Jones is a very good reciever out of the backfield.

frogstomp
03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
The only downside, I suppose, is that Jones is going to get about 12-14 million guaranteed in his new contract. Which is not unreasonable for this market at all, but still a large chunk of change to give a 28 year old runningback as opposed to the small contracts that 2nd round picks demand.

Seeing as we have so much unused cap, and pretty much no one left to sign, I hardly see it as a downside.

However, if we were going to lose out on a decent player or two, I would agree.

Non_Sequitur
03-07-2007, 01:44 AM
4 Years.
20 Million total.
12 Million in Guarantees.
13.1 Million in the first two years

Turbo Sexophonic Delight
03-07-2007, 01:47 AM
zooomg whataaa steal

Non_Sequitur
03-07-2007, 05:21 AM
4 Years.
20 Million total.
12 Million in Guarantees.
13.1 Million in the first two years

It's essentially the same deal Travis Henry got, only without the 5th year obligation and base salary.

Plus, look at it this way, Graham just got a 5 year 30 mil. dollar deal. So a stud RB like Jones is getting paid less than a mediocre TE like Graham.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2007, 08:14 AM
As a Viking fan I have to say, without a proven running game, I think the Bears lost a step on the entire NFC.

Well the Vikings just gave a 5 year 15 million dollar deal to a guy we kicked to the curb and wouldn't let come back to sell peanuts so I'd still say we're a bit ahead in the dumbass moves department.

portermvp84
03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
This is Benson's chance to show them what he's really made of.