PDA

View Full Version : Major Rankings Changes Coming

Scott Wright
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know that there will be some major changes coming in my rankings when I update them next week. Just wanted to give a heads up so I don't get accused of having a knee-jerk reaction based on the Combine results... :)

Most notably there will be a new member of my Top 3 overall and there will be some moved in my Top 4 offensive tackles as well.

bored of education
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know that there will be some major changes coming in my rankings when I update them next week. Just wanted to give a heads up so I don't get accused of having a knee-jerk reaction based on the Combine results... :)

Most notably there will be a new member of my Top 3 overall and there will be some moved in my Top 4 offensive tackles as well.

I know who you will put in your top 3!

Scott Wright
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
I know who you will put in your top 3!

I may have tipped that one off in my chat the other day... :)

princefielder28
02-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Excited to see the changes

bored of education
02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
It maybe the guy that is rumored to run a 4.3. :o

Scott Wright
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
It maybe the guy that is rumored to run a 4.3. :o

Ooh, maybe I didn't give it away...

bored of education
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Ooh, maybe I didn't give it away...

Shoot, I thought I was spot on with it!

7. Jason Smith OT Baylor
Athletic former tight end with the tools to protect the blind side.

That's the guy I'm betting on!

JFLO
02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I think I read that you are getting more and more impressed with Crabtree, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him at #3 behind Stafford and Curry.

Twinkle Toes
02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey,

I don't think anyone would accuse you of 'knee-jerk' reaction based on the combine, but I think the combine has already yielded some suprises which would cause one to at least take a fresh look. While the tape don't lie (what you see on video), neither does the 'tape'. One of the very interesting things to me (perhaps even more than 40 times) is the variance from their schools 'official' pre-combine height/weight listing.

I'm not saying it will definitely affect where he goes in the draft - in fact, I don't think it will -, but Crabtree's measured height combined with not running the 40 isn't helping his immediate cause any...
...and Moreno' 10# positive suprise will cause teams to look at him with fresh eyes, especially if his speed there (in this case, it COULD affect his draft position.

Texas Homer
02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I wasn't here for the chat, but would I be right in saying that OT Jason Smith from Baylor is going to move up in the rankings a lot?

Flyboy
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Time to go ahead and move Beasttree into your top 5 prospects, Scott.

ThePudge
02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
It has to be Jason Smith. There has been no bad news for Smith the past two days as he measured in as expected, and also raised a couple eyebrows with 33 bench reps. Also, you have to think a guy this confident and hard-working is interviewing off-the-charts. He has talked to two Top 6 six reportedly in Seattle and Cincinnati and also acknowledged a fair possibility of being the first overall pick (though who wouldn't say that if put on the spot hah)

ThePudge
02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Time to go ahead and move Beasttree into your top 5 prospects, Scott.

6'1 1/4 and moving up? Maybe. Some scouts I've heard have him placed firmly atop their boards, though I think in the back of his head Scott likes Jeremy Maclin too much to create a large rift between the two. Or maybe that's just me ;)

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Well it def won't be Crabtree or Andre. I'm thinking Maclin or Jason Smith.

coordinator0
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I think it's safe to say that Monroe will be the one moving out of the top 3.

So, I think it will be one of the following moving in:

Malcolm Jenkins
Chris Wells
Michael Crabtree
Jason Smith
Percy Harvin (Shocker!)

I'm not going out on much of a limb lol.

AkiliSmith
02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Well he said in the chat that he would be moving Crabtree into the 3-5 range so I think it's safe to say it's him.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Matt McGuire from the Walterfootball message boards wrote

Mayock has always had Jason Smith as his #1 OT and now Scott Wright is going to put Jason #1 because he is just going with the flow.

http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8051&page=14

To be one of the top posters on that board and to completely slander a well-respected draft guru is imo unacceptable.

Scott Wright
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Mayock has always had Jason Smith as his #1 OT and now Scott Wright is going to put Jason #1 because he is just going with the flow.

To be one of the top posters on that board and to completely slander a well-respected draft guru is imo unacceptable.

Pretty disrespectful indeed, not to mention divulging information that I mentioned in a private conversation before I release it. Quite a betrayal of confidence.

Not to mention that I have never called out another analyst or draft site publicly.

Guess I'll have to start clamming up in the future.

bored of education
02-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Pretty disrespectful indeed, not to mention divulging information that I mentioned in a private conversation before I release it.

I break legs at a small price. Seriously, its cool if you are a media source that does leak info that is legit and would be made known shortly, like Schefter. But to leak info that is told in strict confidence among similar professionals on a website that is a competitor is very unprofessional.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah Scott those boards can't hold a candle to what you have going on here. This will be my 4th draft with your sight and I always enjoy the information and the interaction with the users.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Pretty disrespectful indeed, not to mention divulging information that I mentioned in a private conversation before I release it.

Yeah, I thought you and McGuire were friends, that was definitely a disrespectful thing for him to do.

Scott Wright
02-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, I was going to save this for a blog entry until next week but since the cat was already let out of the bag...

The reason I am moving Jason Smith up to the #3 player in my rankings is because I feel he has more upside than Eugene Monroe. Don't get me wrong, I still like Monroe a lot and he will be in my Top 5-6 overall but Jason Smith is simply acing every aspect of the Scouting Combine.

As for the "Going with the flow" comment... He has been my #2 OT for quite some time but I feel there is new information that has emerged this weekend. He came in at 6-5 and 309 so we know his size is legit. He put up ten more reps than the other top offensive tackles. He performed well in the forty and positional drills. Plus I love the attitude, talking about how he wants to "physically assault" his opponents. By all accounts he is also killing it in interviews and getting high marks for his work ethic. So not only does he have that great potential but he also possesses the intangibles to maximize it.

That is why Jason Smith will be my #1 OT and #3 player overall next week.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah Pack, that post really caught my eye. I respect the work that Walter does over there, but he really needs to keep his top posters in check.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, I was going to save this for a blog entry until next week but since the cat was already let out of the bag...

The reason I am moving Jason Smith up to the #3 player in my rankings is because I feel he has more upside than Eugene Monroe. Don't get me wrong, I still like Monroe a lot and he will be in my Top 5-6 overall but Jason Smith is simply acing every aspect of the Scouting Combine.

As for the "Going with the flow" comment... He has been my #2 OT for quite some time but I feel there is new information that has emerged this weekend. He came in at 6-5 and 309 so we know his size is legit. He put up ten more reps than the other top offensive tackles. He performed well in the forty and positional drills. Plus I love the attitude, talking about how he wants to "physically assault" his opponents. By all accounts he is also killing it in interviews and getting high marks for his work ethic. So not only does he have that great potential but he also possesses the intangibles to maximize it.

No doubt. After everything he has done? I think he simply HAS to move up to that #1 OT spot. I still think Monroe may become the better pro myself, but Jason Smith seems to really have it all going for him.

bored of education
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Shoot, I thought I was spot on with it!

7. Jason Smith OT Baylor
Athletic former tight end with the tools to protect the blind side.

That's the guy I'm betting on!

I am that good!

ThePudge
02-21-2009, 07:46 PM

No need to explain yourself here. Jason Smith has taken over the pre-draft process and may be the the only player that could draw Detroit away from a QB at #1. Great attitude and work ethic to pair with his top-notch athleticism.

PACKmanN
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Scott's top 3= Jason Smith, Michael Crabtree, and Malcolm Jenkins :) well that's who I think.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Interesting three Pack ;). I'm going to go with in no set order Stafford, Jason Smith & Jeremy Maclin. Yeah bit of a reach.

Scott Wright
02-21-2009, 07:53 PM
My Top 2 are staying the same.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah how did I forget Curry lol.

Halsey
02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
My Top 2 are staying the same.

What will happen to Knowshon's stock if he runs better or worse than projected? Could he become the consensus #1 back? Could he fall far if he runs slow?

Scott Wright
02-21-2009, 07:59 PM
What will happen to Knowshon's stock if he runs better or worse than projected? Could he become the consensus #1 back? Could he fall far if he runs slow?

I am a huge Beanie Wells fan so something drastic would have to happen for Moreno to pass him up in my rankings. With that said Moreno has already answered one of the two big concerns I had about him by checking in ten pounds heavier than anticipated so if he runs well he will jump up my Big Board. Perhaps as high as themid-teens.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I imagine it depends on what Wells does as well in terms of if Moreno could jump him or not.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Scott, in the coming weeks do you have Crabtree as a lock #1 WR or can say Maclin or Harvin make up major ground?

Scott Wright
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Scott, in the coming weeks do you have Crabtree as a lock #1 WR or can say Maclin or Harvin make up major ground?

At one point I was seriously considering Crabtree for the #3 spot in my rankings.

He will most likely be in that 4-6 range in my overall rankings.

summond822
02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Jason Smith has really, really impressed me. I was with you Scott when you had Eugene Monroe as the #1 OT, but the more I saw Smith, the more I like him. It doesn't mean that the top teams are going to flip their draft boards, but I think that Smith has done everything possible to convince teams he is the top OT, unlike the other Smith...

You do have to give Mayock a little bit of credit for having Smith @ 1, only because he had him there so early. I actually thought it was a bad joke when I first saw his rankings.

someone447
02-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Pretty disrespectful indeed, not to mention divulging information that I mentioned in a private conversation before I release it. Quite a betrayal of confidence.

Not to mention that I have never called out another analyst or draft site publicly.

Never mind, I misread the post.

stealthbomber
02-21-2009, 09:03 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how guys can totally change their ranking so much by some bench press reps or 40-times in shorts with no pads.

Jason Smith never even played out of a 3-point stance at Baylor.

A year ago, Michael Oher was a top-5 pick if he came out...... and then he gave up a total of zero sacks. Now in the past 6 weeks, he's gone from the #1 or #2 OT to the #4 OT?

Oher and Ole Miss beat Florida whereas Andre Smith and Alabama lost to Florida.... Andre was torched by Spikes.
Eugene Monroe was torched by GA Tech's Michael Johnson... Oher is a steal at this point.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 09:15 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how guys can totally change their ranking so much by some bench press reps or 40-times in shorts with no pads.

A year ago, Michael Oher was a top-5 pick if he came out...... and then he gave up a total of zero sacks. Now in the past 6 weeks, he's gone from the #1 or #2 OT to the #4 OT?

Oher and Ole Miss beat Florida whereas Andre Smith and Alabama lost to Florida.... Andre was torched by Spikes.
Eugene Monroe was torched by GA Tech's Michael Johnson... Oher is a steal at this point.

So are you saying that is what Scott is personally doing after he explained his reasoning? Or are you just talking about the tv personalities and draft sites in general.

AkiliSmith
02-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Curious as to why you think Andre Smith was torched by Spikes. He gave up 1 sack all season, and it was not to Spikes. I think Spikes had 1 hurry against Smith, if that's Smith getting torched then I'll take it.

P-L
02-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I thought you and McGuire were friends, that was definitely a disrespectful thing for him to do.
McGuire was Simms2Clayton before he got banned. He's probably just bitter.

Hines
02-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Two questions. With all the accusations on Andre Smith, do you see him falling pretty far? Also, when are you starting your new batch of scouting reports?

scottyboy
02-21-2009, 09:59 PM

with a sucktastic username full of that much fail, I'd be bitter too.

and Scott, we all know Kenny Britt is moving up to the number one spot, it's not surprise :D

especially after he beasted with 23 reps

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM

You have to be kidding me...

D-Unit
02-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Who is Matt McGuire? And what kind of sport is Walterfootball? Sounds nerdy. :confused:

P-L
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
You have to be kidding me...
I'm not. I used to be friends with him on facebook. I'm not sure if I still am.

Actually I just checked and I am still friends with him. You are too, lol.

D-Unit
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
What? That kid??? That's it... I'm starting my own football website. :rolleyes:

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Who is Matt McGuire? And what kind of sport is Walterfootball? Sounds nerdy. :confused:

Hahahah. Walter Cherepinsky who I think is on good terms with Scott.

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey,

Anyone know when this is going to happen for sure? I think it will be a major help for a big mock I'm planning to do soonish and I was curious.

Scott Wright
02-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I plan on spending the entire day Wednesday updating my rankings.

RaiderNation
02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I expect Maclin to drop even though you like him Scott. A 4.4 40 for a guy whos strength is speed. I expected a 4.3 atleast

BamaFalcon59
02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Scott, do not make the same mistake that was made with Brandon Flowers last year. Do not underestimate the Virginia Tech. defensive back.

That said Brandon Flowers >>> Macho. Brandon Flowers will be the best cornerback in the NFL once Nnamdi Asomugha begins to decline

ThePudge
02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I expect Maclin to drop even though you like him Scott. A 4.4 40 for a guy whos strength is speed. I expected a 4.3 atleast

Maclin's speed isn't his only strength. His hands, route-running, blocking, return ability, and character still make him a Top 10 value in my book. People that don't have access to Missouri games are really missing out on some good looking prospects, Maclin being the cream of the crop.

Maclin showed up on Saturdays, every Saturday. He's a player you have to kick/punt away from and then double team in the pass game. His speed dominates his youtube highlight videos, yet it is his ability as a complete receiver that surprises me. Maclin can get it done over the middle, in traffic, and will take the hit and get back up. His hands are reliable and he runs quick, crisp routes, though he has not run a full route tree in Missouri's spread offense. And the tape doesn't lie when looking at the kid's acceleration and breakaway speed.

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
I plan on spending the entire day Wednesday updating my rankings.

Thank you much sir. I look forward to it.

Flyboy
02-23-2009, 11:02 PM
At one point I was seriously considering Crabtree for the #3 spot in my rankings.

He will most likely be in that 4-6 range in my overall rankings.

w00tw00t. That's what's up.

BamaFalcon59
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Like I said before, Macho had a bad 40. But he had a great shuttle and three cone.

JRTPlaya21
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
He'll go 2nd round most likely Bama.

kiranadwaney
02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
after curry's workout the other day is there a chance he moves above stafford for number 1 on the list? i think far and away aaron curry is the best player this year.

02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
after curry's workout the other day is there a chance he moves above stafford for number 1 on the list? i think far and away aaron curry is the best player this year.

Yes, without a doubt. The real question is who should be second on that list? Stafford, J. Smith or Monroe?

Babylon
02-24-2009, 06:47 PM

In the 89 draft the Cowboys took Troy Aikman and received criticism for passing on Derrick Thomas, Deon Sanders and Barry Sanders. Worked out pretty well for the Boyz.

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 06:49 PM
In the 89 draft the Cowboys took Troy Aikman and received criticism for passing on Derrick Thomas, Deon Sanders and Barry Sanders. Worked out pretty well for the Boyz.

There isn't a player there who didn't make their team very, very happy though, lol

Babylon
02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
There isn't a player there who didn't make their team very, very happy though, lol

True but you get my point i believe. The QB has such an impact on a game that i think it's worth the move but maybe i'm in the minority here. And i will add i dont think Aaron Curry is in the same league as a Derrick Thomas.

kiranadwaney
02-24-2009, 06:53 PM

its not that i think that the lions will take curry at 1, i am just saying i think he should be number 1 on scott's ranking of best players in the draft. although i do think that the rams might take him at number 2 now.

JRTPlaya21
02-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Scott already said his top two won't change and Jason Smith will be number 3

ncst8fan83
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Andre Brown = top 5 RB? :)

ManOverboard
02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Kenny Britt in the 1st round! Make it happen.