PDA

View Full Version : All Decade Team(2000's)

JonasBlane
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok, so this is one year pre-mature, but the decade is 9/10ths over, so we have a pretty good idea of what the team should look like. Here is a link that shows the format of the team, and how many players are chosen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_1990s_All-Decade_Team

Here is the first draft of my 1st and 2nd teams. I know I'll forget some names, so I will come back and edit once more names are thrown out.

First Team
QB - Peyton Manning
RB - LaDanian Tomlinson, Lorenzo Neal(no other RB's have been great the majority of this decade, so I'm going with a FB who has been dominant almsot all decade)
WR - Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens
TE - Tony Gonzalez
T - Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace
G - Will Shields, Steve Hutchinson
C - Kevin Mawae

DE - Jason Taylor, Michael Strahan
DT - Warren Sapp, Casey Hampton
LB - Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Brian Urlacher
CB - Champ Bailey, Ty Law
FS - Ed Reed
SS - Troy Polamalu

K - Adam Viniateri
P - Shane Lechler
KR - Devin Hester
PR - Devin Hester
Coach - Bill Bellicheck

2nd Team
QB - Tom Brady
RB - Shaun Alexander, Clinton Portis
WR - Randy Moss, Torry Holt
TE - Antonio Gates
T - Walter Jones, Willie Roaf
G - Alan Faneca, Larry Allen
C - Jeff Saturday

DE - Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney
DT - Richard Seymour, Kevin Williams
LB - Zach Thomas, Keith Bulluck, Joey Porter
CB - Chris Mcallister, Ronde Barber
FS - Brian Dawkins
SS - John Lynch

Coach - Tony Dungy
K - Mike Vanderjackoff
P - Brian Moorman
KR - Dante Hall
PR - Dante Hall

The position I had probably the most trouble with was RB. While there have been many great RB's this decade, there really hasn't been a RB besides LT who has been great for 5+ years this decade. Marshall Faulk will likely get the honour of being the best player of all time not making an all decade team. He didn't play enough years in either decade, and the decade he was better in(90's), had 3 first ballot HOF guys, and Terrell Davis ahead of him.

I also gave the teams the 4-3 defense, but a good argument could be made for giving them a 3-4, since at least half of the SB winners this decade ran a 3-4.

Changes Made:
Replaced Rodney Harrison with John Lynch
Added Brian Moorman as second team punter
Replaced Kris Jenkins and Marcus Stroud with Richard Seymour and Kevin Williams.
Switched Urlacher and Joey Porter around(noticed the NFL doesn't specify OLB or MLB when choosing players.)
Replaced Edgerrin James with Clinton Portis
Replaced Charles Woodson with Ronde Barber

21ST
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
did you know that you have dawkins out of postion also?

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
lol really? Joey Porter? Shaun Alexander? Kris Jenkins and Stroud over guys like Kevin Williams?

fenikz
02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Adrian Wilson > poly

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
He is talking about over a certain period of time not just that past couple years.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
but Joey Porter?

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
but Joey Porter?

Yea I agree with you on Joey Porter

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I mean also Kris Jenkins, he was great last year, but was he ever like a top DT to warrant an All Decade mentioning?

gpngc
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Walter Jones is the best OT of this era. I'd put Pace on the second team.

JonasBlane
02-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Aside from Derrick Brooks, there aren't really any other OLB's besides Porter that have been at a pro bowl level for the majority of the decade. There are MLB guys like Zach Thomas and Urlacher you could argue ahead of him for sure, but I was trying to keep with the 1MLB and 2OLB format on the first team, which I changed for the second team because I felt Thomas and Urlacher both should get on.

And as for Kris Jenkins, he was arguably the best DT in the game for a few years earlier on in the decade, specifically when the Panthers went to the SB. He fell off the map for a couple years due to injury and came back at a pro-bowl level this season. I was hesitant on putting him in there, and I may change him to Kevin Williams.

As for Shaun Alexander, he had 5 great seasons, which is a lot more than most of the other elite RB's of this decade. There are a lot of guys who only had about 3 great seasons this decade because of reasons like injury, careers just beginning, or careers ending. Like I said, I was unsure when selecting RBs, so there are guys you could definitely make a case for over Alexander, but it's definitely not a stretch having him listed.

And thanks for the heads up on Brian Dawkins, thought he was a SS for some reason.

wicket
02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
even though he has only been great now for 3/4 years i still feel aso should get a mention. karney should be the second team fullback, overall good job

GB12
02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Daunte Hall should be first team over Hester.

JonasBlane
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
even though he has only been great now for 3/4 years i still feel aso should get a mention. karney should be the second team fullback, overall good job

I think Aso is a guy who will get consideration when these lists get done at the end of next season. If he has another year as the undisputed best corner in football, he should at least get a second team spot I think.

As for Karney, the teams don't specifically select a full back, but they are eligible for the RB spots. I personally feel that Lorenzo Neal was outstanding enough over a long enough period of time to deserve one of the RB spots.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
um OLB --> Ware and merriman?

Shaun Alexander was really really really helped by the Oline, i mean his left side is on that list...

A Perfect Score
02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
i have serious problems with shaun alexander and rodney harrison...IMO, John Lynch deserves to be on there over harrison, and Shaun Alexander is just plain awful in every sense of the word...I could average 4 YPC behind that left side.

JonasBlane
02-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Porter gets the nod on my list over Ware and Merriman because of doing it the whole decade. Merriman and Ware have only played 3 and 4 seasons respectively. If Ware has another season close to what he just had, he has a shot at getting on one of the teams. But in all likelyhood he will end up being one of the players who gets snubbed on these teams, because of not playing enough seasons in either decade.

And if you take Alexander off the list, who do you put on? The same argument would be made against Priest Holmes, because he ran behind an (arguably)even better O-Line, and was great for even less time. Portis could take his place, the knock on him though is he's never really put together a spectacular season. A good argument can be made against Edge as well... RB is a hard spot to select though for this period of time.

GB12
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
i have serious problems with shaun alexander and rodney harrison...IMO, John Lynch deserves to be on there over harrison, and Shaun Alexander is just plain awful in every sense of the word...I could average 4 YPC behind that left side.
The primary factor in all decade teams is what the player accomplished during that time. Shaun Alexander had 100 TDs and 9,453 yards in the 2000's. He'll at least get second team.

scottyboy
02-20-2009, 07:46 PM

if only that person existed, than maybe.

ShyneQuasiOG22
02-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Bullock should be first team over Porter. He has been playing consistently great football for years.

GB12
02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
if only that person existed, than maybe.
Dante
Daunte
Donte
Dunta

Take your pick.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Dante
Daunte
Donte
Dunta

Take your pick.
Its Devin.

Burger
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I personally think Fred Taylor should be on here.

espfootball92
02-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Not to be a homer, but Brian Moorman should probably be 2nd team punter

Priest Holmes or maybe Marshall Faulk probably deserve 2nd team RB over Alexander and James

russie
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM

agreed. hester may have had the best statistical season out of the two, but he really has only had an great impact for the one season. with hall, it was a few seasons where he was the best. dont think that i am taking anything away from hester, i'd love to have him returning kicks for the vikes, but as of now(even though he has plenty of time to regain form), he isnt that scary returning the kicks. the bears screwed up when they tried to make him a #1 receiver. they should have left him alone, just returning kicks, making half a dozen highlight reels a year.

JonasBlane
02-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I have Moorman as the second team punter now.

And while I'm a big Marshall Faulk fan, I don't think he belongs on this all-decade team. He only really had 3 seasons('00-'02) where he was great. Like I said before, he really gets shafted because of being split almost equally amongst the two decades, and facing very stiff competition with the 90's squad.

As for Fred Taylor, he had 6 good seasons this decade. The best of which being a 1400 yard 12 touchdown performance. Shaun Alexander on the other hand has had 5 good seasons this decade, the best of which being a 1880 yard 27 TD season. In Alexander's 5th best season he had 1175 yards and 16 TD's, which is almost, or just, as good as Taylor's best season. A similar argument can also be made for Edge over Taylor as well... It just isn't quite as statistically decisive.

jayceheathman
02-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Andre Johnson is > TO

russie
02-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Andre Johnson is > TO

this is true as of now, but it also doesnt fit with the point of the thread. the point is the best of the decade, not who is better right now

JonasBlane
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Terrell Owens simply cannot be argued against being at least second team in this debate. He has had at least 1050 yards and 9TD's every season but one this decade. And in that season he didn't he played only 7 games.

Michigan
02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
A decade of gridiron glory.

QB: Joey Harrington
RB: Shawn Bryson
RB: Artose Pinner
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Mike Williams
TE: Casey Fitzsimmons
LT: Jeff Backus
LG: Rick DeMulling
C: Dominic Raiola
RG: George Foster
RT: Stockar McDougle

DE: Kalimba Edwards
DT: Shaun Rogers
DT: Shaun Cody
DE: Corey Smith
OLB: Boss Bailey
MLB: Paris Lenon
OLB: Teddy Lehman
CB: Dre Bly
CB: Travis Fisher
S: Kennoy Kennedy
S: Kalvin Pearson

Ness
02-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Portis could take his place, the knock on him though is he's never really put together a spectacular season.

Clinton Portis had one of the best rookie runningback seasons in recent memory. Plus he dominated the season after that as well. In his first season he started only 12 games, while starting 13 the next. I'd probably put him on the list over Shaun Alexander. Especially since he's had success with two different ball clubs.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3110/clintonportisstatistics.jpg

Gay Ork Wang
02-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Id take a guy that has 3-4 incredible seasons over a guy that has 5 nice seasons.

GB12
02-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Id take a guy that has 3-4 incredible seasons over a guy that has 5 nice seasons.
So what are you saying by that?

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 12:37 PM
agreed. hester may have had the best statistical season out of the two, but he really has only had an great impact for the one season. with hall, it was a few seasons where he was the best. dont think that i am taking anything away from hester, i'd love to have him returning kicks for the vikes, but as of now(even though he has plenty of time to regain form), he isnt that scary returning the kicks. the bears screwed up when they tried to make him a #1 receiver. they should have left him alone, just returning kicks, making half a dozen highlight reels a year.
What? Hester had two amazing seasons as a return man. Hall had, at best, three, and none touch what Hester did.

And the Bears screwed up making him a receiver? He's developing at a very rapid rate. The dude can play.

russie
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
And the Bears screwed up making him a receiver? He's developing at a very rapid rate. The dude can play.

he's developing at a very rapid rate? that's why receiver is once again a need of the bears? the man was amazing(and scary) when all he had to do was return kicks. when the bears started to hang their hats on him being their #1 receiver, his return production went down. just because LT has good hands, doesnt mean the chargers should turn him into a wide receiver. and before you question it, i use this anallogy point out that hester was the LT of returners, and special teams is still one third of the game.

JonasBlane
02-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I personally think that the argument would be between Edge vs. Portis. While Alexander was viewed as soft and ran behind an excellent O-Line, he put up just amazing numbers between 01 and 05. I mean, he had 98 TDs in those 5 years(incl rec. tds). And he averaged about 1500 yards rushing and 250 yards receiving in those seasons.

So, as for a Edge vs. Portis argument, let's look at some stats... James has played 25 more games than Portis this decade. So in terms of per game numbers Portis is better in almost every category. He actually even has more TDs than James despite the less games played(76TDs vs. 74TDs this decade). Portis has 7 more yards per game, and 0.4 more yards per carry. The yards per game isn't too significant, but the YPC is. In this argument Edge misses out on his rookie season which really hurts him as he had over 2100 yards from scrimmage and 17 TDs in 1999.

So I think I will be changing Edge to Portis, and leaving Alexander on the list.

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
he's developing at a very rapid rate? that's why receiver is once again a need of the bears?
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but most teams play more than one wide receiver on the field at the same time.

Hester's decline was inevitable as a return man. It happens to every single player. The freakish atleticism he has is better harnessed from an actual position where he can have value for many more years.

CC.SD
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Casey Hampton, OP? Come on you can do better.

Bengalsrocket
02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Tony Richardson has been pretty dominant fullback I think too if you wanted to keep it RB / FB for both teams.

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Anyway, here's mine:

1st team
QB- Peyton Manning
RB- LaDanian Tomlinson
RB- Edgerrin James
WR-Terrell Owens
WR- Marvin Harrison
TE- Tony Gonzalez
OT- Walter Jones
OT- Orlando Pace
OG- Alan Faneca
OG- Will Shields
C- Kevin Mawae
DE- Jason Taylor
DE- Michael Strahan
DT- Richard Seymour
DT- Kevin Williams
LB- Ray Lewis
LB- Brian Urlacher
LB- Derrick Brooks
CB- Champ Bailey
CB- Ronde Barber
S- Brian Dawkins
S- Ed Reed
K- Adam Vinatieri
P- Shane Lechler
Ret- Devin Hester
2nd team
QB- Tom Brady
RB- Marshall Faulk
RB- Priest Holmes
WR- Randy Moss
WR- Tory Holt
TE- Antonio Gates
OT- Jonathan Ogden
OT- Willie Roaf
OG- Steve Hutchison
OG- Ruben Brown
C- Olin Kruetz
DE- Dwight Freeney
DE- Julius Peppers
DT- Warren Sapp
DT- Marcus Stroud
LB- Zach Thomas
LB- Joey Porter
LB- James Harrison
CB- Ty Law
CB- Chris McAllister
S- John Lynch
S- Troy Polamalu
K- David Akers
P- Brian Moorman
Ret- Dante Hall

russie
02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but most teams play more than one wide receiver on the field at the same time.

true, and hester is a good slot receiver, but slot receiver is usually a teams 3rd receiver. is the lack of production in the return game worth the small impact he will make as a receiver? i think not. but we will never see eye to eye on this, so it is pointless for either of us to continue arguing. you think he is making great strides as a receiver, and i think the bears once again screwed up one of their few scoring threats

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 02:53 PM
true, and hester is a good slot receiver, but slot receiver is usually a teams 3rd receiver. is the lack of production in the return game worth the small impact he will make as a receiver? i think not. pbut we will never see eye to eye on this, so it is pointless for either of us to continue arguing. you think he is making great strides as a receiver, and i think the bears once again screwed up one of their few scoring threats
This is such a lazy and common statement. We won't see eye to eye on this because you aren't substantiating your argument with any supporting logic.

Let's review your statements so far:

Hester is a good slot receiver: I'm actually not quite sure if you understand what a slot receiver does, but Hester is not really a slot receiver. He is best suited in a flanker position, where he is still off the ball but can play more on the outside and generally have the offense tailored to his deep threat abilities. True, he can run a crossing or a screen route, but he can do this from the flanker spot as well. I'm pretty sure you used it just to make a derogatory statement about his worth, which is also puzzling considering the worth of many so-called "slot receivers" (see: Wes Welker).

The Bears have a lack of production in the return game: False. Danieal Manning is still one of the best kick-returners in the NFL. There has unquestionably been a drop-off in the play of Hester, but this was an inevitable occurance anyway. There is a well-established pattern of returners that fizzle after a few years. Perphaps the switch to offense precipitated this, but only by a year or two at best.

Devin Hester will never develop as a receiver: This is the only statement I can't refute you on, because it's complete conjecture. That said, he's already a starting-caliber wide receiver in the NFL, so that alone accounts for a fair amount more production than you are willing to concede.

The Bears once again screwed up a scoring threat: Perhaps the most laughably ignorant comment of all. What scoring threats, where, have the Bears had since Walter Payton? James Allen? Raymont Harris? Cade McNown? Yikes...

JonasBlane
02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Casey Hampton may have been my Steelers bias sneaking its way in... But he's been a dominant force in the middle for the Steelers pretty much all decade. He's a big reason why their run defense has been top 3 almost without exception this decade.

okay123
02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
what about curtis martin? just thought i'd throw his name out there

russie
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
i dont get how you can actually call hester a starting receiver. if it is simply for the fact that your bears have had him start, then fine, i'll concede that point, but i'd still rather start berrian, wade, and even sidney rice over him. for a starter, his numbers are sub par at best. all i've been trying to say is that his value is better at kr than wr, and the bears have put him in a position where he has to concentrate on both, not just one

cunit2k9
02-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Charles Woodson? come on... Ronde Barber easily is better. O and London Fletcher Baker is better than Joey Porter. What about Edgerrin James, his career was better than Shaun Alexander's. Simeon Rice could arguably be on there as well.

cunit2k9
02-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Anyway, here's mine:

1st team
QB- Peyton Manning
RB- LaDanian Tomlinson
RB- Edgerrin James
WR-Terrell Owens
WR- Marvin Harrison
TE- Tony Gonzalez
OT- Walter Jones
OT- Orlando Pace
OG- Alan Faneca
OG- Will Shields
C- Kevin Mawae
DE- Jason Taylor
DE- Michael Strahan
DT- Richard Seymour
DT- Kevin Williams
LB- Ray Lewis
LB- Brian Urlacher
LB- Derrick Brooks
CB- Champ Bailey
CB- Ronde Barber
S- Brian Dawkins
S- Ed Reed
K- Adam Vinatieri
P- Shane Lechler
Ret- Devin Hester
2nd team
QB- Tom Brady
RB- Marshall Faulk I find it hard to include him he barely played this decade.
RB- Priest Holmes Same as above
WR- Randy Moss
WR- Tory Holt
TE- Antonio Gates
OT- Jonathan Ogden
OT- Willie Roaf
OG- Steve Hutchison
OG- Ruben Brown
C- Olin Kruetz
DE- Dwight Freeney
DE- Julius Peppers
DT- Warren Sapp
DT- Marcus Stroud
LB- Zach Thomas
LB- Joey Porter
LB- James Harrison YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME
CB- Ty Law
CB- Chris McAllister
S- John Lynch
S- Troy Polamalu
K- David Akers
P- Brian Moorman
Ret- Dante Hall

James Harrison? He has been good two years.

Bengalsrocket
02-21-2009, 06:19 PM
No Bengals players on any of the lists here :(. We should put Willie Anderson in over Roaf just for the sake of diversity :)

cunit2k9
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
No Bengals players on any of the lists here :(. We should put Willie Anderson in over Roaf just for the sake of diversity :)

Outside of Pace, Ogden, Walter Jones, Faneca and Mawae, everyone else should be from the Chiefs, they had some sick lines back in the day. Waters, Shields, etc.

Brent
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm surprised that I dont see Julian Peterson on there.

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 08:16 PM
i dont get how you can actually call hester a starting receiver. if it is simply for the fact that your bears have had him start, then fine, i'll concede that point, but i'd still rather start berrian, wade, and even sidney rice over him. for a starter, his numbers are sub par at best. all i've been trying to say is that his value is better at kr than wr, and the bears have put him in a position where he has to concentrate on both, not just one

Let's say that a starting receiver is a top 64 receiver (for obvious reasons). I would easily put Hester in the top 50. One could make a case for Hester over Berrian, and I've been a big Berrian fan. The truth is that he can do everything Berrian can athletic-wise, and he can catch the ball.

And if you'd rather have Bobby Wade, you honestly don't know what the **** you are talking about. I'm surprised you're continuing with this. You've yet to even make a point.

russie
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
You've yet to even make a point.

same with you. every thing you have pointed out is bear fan biased opinion
wade is a better route runner and has better hands.

i was willing to let this drop and had dropped it when i said we will never see eye to eye, then you responded with some bullshi t answer about it being a cop out answer

i know, you spend all you time on here instead of having a real life, so i'm supposed to take your word for gospel. of course you are right, you are a legend. you dont have your bear colored glasses on, and chris williams isnt going to be another bear bust. sorry for bothering you my lord

PACKmanN
02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Let's say that a starting receiver is a top 64 receiver (for obvious reasons). I would easily put Hester in the top 50. One could make a case for Hester over Berrian, and I've been a big Berrian fan. The truth is that he can do everything Berrian can athletic-wise, and he can catch the ball.

And if you'd rather have Bobby Wade, you honestly don't know what the **** you are talking about. I'm surprised you're continuing with this. You've yet to even make a point.

Berrian's route running>>>>Hester's route running. You can have all the talent in the world at wide out but if you can't run routes you won't be successful.

boknows34
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Anyway, here's mine:

2nd team
QB- Tom Brady
RB- Marshall Faulk
RB- Priest Holmes
WR- Randy Moss
WR- Tory Holt
TE- Antonio Gates
OT- Jonathan Ogden
OT- Willie Roaf
OG- Steve Hutchison
OG- Ruben Brown
C- Olin Kruetz
DE- Dwight Freeney
DE- Julius Peppers
DT- Warren Sapp
DT- Marcus Stroud
LB- Zach Thomas
LB- Joey Porter
LB- James Harrison
CB- Ty Law
CB- Chris McAllister
S- John Lynch
S- Troy Polamalu
K- David Akers
P- Brian Moorman
Ret- Dante Hall

RB has many candidates for 2nd team. Clinton Portis, Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber and Curtis Martin all have a shout. I would definitely have Brian Waters or Larry Allen over Ruben Brown.

On defence I would pick Haynesworth over Stroud. Harrison has only been a starter for 2 years and currently should be behind both Merriman and Ware imo.

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Larry Allen was great in the 90's. He lived off reputation much past that.

I was wrong on Harrison, for some reason I thought he had been starting longer. I think I combined him and James Farrior. Regardless, I would replace him with Ware or Merriman.

Russie, personal insults are always a great way of admitting you don't know what the **** you're talking about. It really doesn't take much time to put up posts, but regardless I assure you I'm doing just fine in my personal life, as are everyone else with a lot of posts on here you just insulted. If being on this board is for losers, you should do yourself a favor and leave. I promise you, nobody would miss your worthless arguments.

bearsfan_51
02-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Berrian's route running>>>>Hester's route running. You can have all the talent in the world at wide out but if you can't run routes you won't be successful.
Berrian isn't a very good route runner either, but I'll grant you that. These are the types of things that can be taught however. Especially for someone just learning the position.