PDA

View Full Version : Always wondered never asked...

stephenson86
02-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Ray Brown (http://www.nfl.com/players/raybrown/profile?id=BRO547288) played for 20 years in over 250 games. is this guy a hall of fame standard of player? i mean i know nothing about the guy but at 43 and starting for a team your either very good or they have a horrendous team?

anyone enlighten me on this guy, hes always fascinated me

Burger
02-20-2009, 08:13 PM
He was a really good run blocker in the 1990's, he wont slip in first ballot, but should be in within time. He helped Montana and Young win their superbowls.

The Legend
02-21-2009, 01:28 AM
One of the greatest run blockers of the 90's
I believe he is a top 5 of all time in run blocking.
But don't take this as he couldn't pass block. HE COULD.

Burger
02-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I personally like another Brown more, Ruben Brown, he was just as good as Ray, just a little worse on run blocking, but can pass block better.

Ness
02-21-2009, 03:51 AM
He was a really good run blocker in the 1990's, he wont slip in first ballot, but should be in within time. He helped Montana and Young win their superbowls.
No he didn't. Brown played with us from 1996 to 2001. Our last championship was the 1994 season.

boknows34
02-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Solid, durable player but nowhere near HOF standard.

The only interior linemen from Brown's era to make the HOF are Randall McDaniel and Bruce Matthews. Russ Grimm, Dermontti Dawson and Larry Allen will very likely make it too within the next few years. In all probability that will be it.

Kent Hull, Max Montoya, Bill Fralic and Steve Wisniewski have been preliminary HOF nominations but haven't got a sniff of the 'Last 25' let alone induction. All 4 of these interior linemen were better than Brown. Wisniewski for example was an 8-time Pro Bowler, 2-time first-team All-Pro and 6-time second-team All-Pro. Hull was also a 2-time first-team All-Pro and played in four Super Bowls with Buffalo. Fralic made 4 Pro Bowls and was again a two-time first-team All-Pro before injuries finished him at 31.

Brown in contrast only had 1 Pro Bowl and was never even a 2nd team All-Pro in his 20 seasons. He wasn't a regular starter until he was in his 30's. HOF standard is what McDaniel and Matthews did. Between them they had 26 Pro Bowls and 14 first-team All-Pros.

Two veteran interior linemen that need to get inducted are Jerry Kramer and Mick Tinglehoff. Those guys both made first-team All-Pro FIVE times EACH but are still not in Canton. No chance for Brown I'm afraid.

Ness
02-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Solid, durable player but nowhere near HOF standard.

The only interior linemen from Brown's era to make the HOF are Randall McDaniel and Bruce Matthews. Russ Grimm, Dermontti Dawson and Larry Allen will very likely make it too within the next few years. In all probability that will be it.

Kent Hull, Max Montoya, Bill Fralic and Steve Wisniewski have been preliminary HOF nominations but haven't got a sniff of the 'Last 25' let alone induction. All 4 of these interior linemen were better than Brown. Wisniewski for example was an 8-time Pro Bowler, 2-time first-team All-Pro and 6-time second-team All-Pro. Hull was also a 2-time first-team All-Pro and played in four Super Bowls with Buffalo. Fralic made 4 Pro Bowls and was again a two-time first-team All-Pro before injuries finished him at 31.

Brown in contrast only had 1 Pro Bowl and was never even a 2nd team All-Pro in his 20 seasons. He wasn't a regular starter until he was in his 30's. HOF standard is what McDaniel and Matthews did. Between them they had 26 Pro Bowls and 14 first-team All-Pros.

Two veteran interior linemen that need to get inducted are Jerry Kramer and Mick Tinglehoff. Those guys both made first-team All-Pro FIVE times EACH but are still not in Canton. No chance for Brown I'm afraid.

Right. He was always a decent player, but never dominated. Great career though.

Menardo75
02-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm a little bias I loved having Ray Brown on the team. HOF ehhhhh I really don't know it's borderline.

GB12
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
If Jerry Kramer can't get in then Ray Brown doesn't stand a chance.

bearsfan_51
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
It's not even borderline. Ray Brown wouldn't get into the Ray Brown Hall of Fame.

Vikes99ej
02-22-2009, 01:32 PM
One Pro Bowl and One All-Pro Selection. Yip.