PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree Shocker! Stress Fracture. Out 10 weeks.

Chio151
02-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Alright everyone, let's project him now. 15-25?

skinzzfan25
02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Link/Source???

If so, sucks for the Crabman...

DJC
02-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Reported on NFLN via Schefter.

He'll still go top 10.

TaylorMade
I still don't see him falling out of the top ten. Oakland and Jacksonsville could really use him.

Go_Eagles77
They're talking about it on NFL network.

keylime_5
top 10, likely top 5. tape don't lie.

Chio151
I hope he goes top 8 -- drops another player to the Pack at 9.

skinzzfan25
02-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Reported on NFLN via Schefter.

He'll still go top 10.

Oh.

But yeah I agree he's staying in the top 10. He has a nice body of work to fall back on and 10 weeks isn't too long.

P-L
02-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh.

But yeah I agree he's staying in the top 10. He has a nice body of work to fall back on and 10 weeks isn't too long.
It's long enough for him to not have a chance to run the 40 before the draft.

Gay Ork Wang
02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
let him drop to 18!!!!

JFLO
02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
It depends on how the surgery goes, but if it goes as planned, then he should still see a Top 10 pick, my guess is the Raiders, Al Davis won't pass on him if he's there, maybe Jacksonville though.

DeathbyStat
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I think this might cause him to drop....not the injury just the fact that he can't run before the draft and he measured shorter than most thought he would

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
He should still be top 10, unless a lot of teams become skepticle.

ChefMike
02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Anyone think this is staged???

magically he measures shorter in height and now he can't run the 40?? Hmmm seems too good to be true.

Maybe he didn't want to show a 40 time the registered near 4.5 and hurt his stock. Knowing if he did, it could drop him into the 10-15 range rather then the 1-5 range??

TACKLE
02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I really don't think it will affect his stock. It's too bad that they don't get an official time on him. Jonathan Stewart had the same thing last year. He had to sit out a bit of Training Camp but if Crabtree gets this taken care of now. He should be good to go by the time camp rolls along.

Xonraider
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Fall to the Raiders baby!!!

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 11:05 AM

magically he measures shorter in height and now he can't run the 40?? Hmmm seems too good to be true.

Maybe he didn't want to show a 40 time the registered near 4.5 and hurt his stock. Knowing if he did, it could drop him into the 10-15 range rather then the 1-5 range??

Because he wants to make less money?

It looks like everything is coming together for a bustalicious career for Crabtree.

That being said, he has had this injury since October 2008, and played well on it toward the end of the year. It is time to get it fixed, and he'll be fine for mini-camps, so no concern there. I think the size is more the issue here.

M.O.T.H.
02-21-2009, 11:06 AM

It's not "staged"...he does actually need to get a screw in the foot....but red flags certainly are mounting fast. Crabtree is widely considered to be elite, though...so he wont plummet regardless. If he actually ran a bad 40, that would hurt him more, more than likely.

Chio151
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I think I agree with most on here that it would be shocking to see him fall past the Raiders.

Spectre
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
He's not going to fall past the Raiders. Al Davis would draft him if he were decapitated.

JFLO
02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I thought it was staged when he didn't want to run the 40. I mean the Cotton Bowl was like two months ago. I know some ankle sprains are serious, but most aren't.

I think he was just running from the media because he knew that he couldn't run a legit 40.

But now, I guess I'm wrong.

russie
02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
mayock is still saying he'd be suprised if crabtree fell passed seatle even with this

LonghornsLegend
02-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Magically got smaller? You guys are getting carried away, 99% of the people who measured in came in smaller then they were listed or expected, you guys just pay so much attention to Crabtree, if people were comparing him to Anquan Boldin this whole time instead of Fitz the height thing wouldn't of mattered...Still highly doubt he gets past Oakland and Jax, no way I see him get out of the top 10.

jballa838
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM

It looks like everything is coming together for a bustalicious career for Crabtree.

That being said, he has had this injury since October 2008, and played well on it toward the end of the year. It is time to get it fixed, and he'll be fine for mini-camps, so no concern there. I think the size is more the issue here.
IIRC, he hurt it training for the combine. Durability red flags anyone? He had a bum ankle, then stress fracture in foot.
And when you say the tape doesn't lie, it brings up more concerns. He hasn't run a lot of pro-style routes and now nobody gets the opportunity to see that pre-draft. I want to see him run some real routes down the field and crisp routes before I spend Kobe money on a kid who we have 2 years of WR tape on in a "Gimmick" system. That being said, he drops past Oakland and Jacksonville, because Oakland loves speed WRs, and that is not his strength. Jacksonville has done this before, and has past "can't miss" WRs already rotting away on the roster in Williamson and Williams. Seattle at 4 is iffy, and I don't think we pick him, but I have been wrong before.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 11:41 AM
IIRC, he hurt it training for the combine. Durability red flags anyone? He had a bum ankle, then stress fracture in foot.
And when you say the tape doesn't lie, it brings up more concerns. He hasn't run a lot of pro-style routes and now nobody gets the opportunity to see that pre-draft. I want to see him run some real routes down the field and crisp routes before I spend Kobe money on a kid who we have 2 years of WR tape on in a "Gimmick" system. That being said, he drops past Oakland and Jacksonville, because Oakland loves speed WRs, and that is not his strength. Jacksonville has done this before, and has past "can't miss" WRs already rotting away on the roster in Williamson and Williams. Seattle at 4 is iffy, and I don't think we pick him, but I have been wrong before.

Lol, I don't think Jacksonville EVER has had a can't miss WR. They reached for Jones, they reached for Reggie Williams, heck, Williamson was a reach by Minny and they picked him up.

jballa838
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Lol, I don't think Jacksonville EVER has had a can't miss WR. They reached for Jones, they reached for Reggie Williams, heck, Williamson was a reach by Minny and they picked him up.
What I meant was 1st round WR who has question marks.

someone447
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Stress fractures are just freak accidents, if the surgery goes well, he shouldn't have any more problems with them.

PossumBoy9
02-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Is the stress fracture on his left foot?

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Is the stress fracture on his left foot?

I BELIEVE. Nothing has said so, but a few have hinted at that? So not 100% there.

Schefter compared the surgery to Jonathan Stewart's last year. I still think these question marks could have us talking about Crabtree as a Charles Roger's type of bust, but I am still on the fence. I wis we'd be able to see him more before the draft.

Someone mentioned comparing him to a solid possession WR like Boldin may not be a terrible comparison for what he COULD do in the NFL. If so though, is his route running up to snuff? Especially if he does not have the timed speed and elite height.

PossumBoy9
02-21-2009, 12:36 PM
I BELIEVE. Nothing has said so, but a few have hinted at that? So not 100% there.

Thanks.

It's a shame he hurt his left ankle against A&M returning a kick....for who knows why?

Flyboy
02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Amazin' how hatin' on Crabtree is the cool thing to do here. Highly doubt he makes it out the top 10... I hope he goes to Oakland, though. Much rather have to buy a Crabtree Raider jersey than a Seahawk one.

02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
If Maclin puts up a blazing time tomorrow then it wouldn't shock me to see a few teams have him rated higher than Crabs including Oakland.

Flyboy
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM
If Maclin puts up a blazing time tomorrow then it wouldn't shock me to see a few teams have him rated higher than Crabs including Oakland.

Wouldn't surprise me at all either.

holt_bruce81
02-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Word is Bill Devaney (Rams GM) is in love with Maclin. I know I know it could just be a smokescreen, but Devaney had no problem last year claiming his love for Chris Long.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 01:28 PM
NFL Network just said Crabtree plans to work out on his pro day. More info after the break.

M.O.T.H.
02-21-2009, 01:29 PM
The fact that Maclin is home grown/a local product...certainly helps your case. I wouldnt doubt that Devaney is infatuated with him. Jerry Jones had a man crush on Arkansas' own, Darren Mcfadden, and he always holds those texas natives in higher regard. There tends to be more favoritism toward the local product because, that is the player they see more frequently and know more about. Nothing wrong w/ falling in love w/ Maclin regardless, though.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Don't care. Ruskell hopefully won't care. He's still going to run and he's never missed a game in his career. 10 Weeks from now is just about draft time.

He'll be 100% by mid May.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
NFLN contradicted themselves and now said he won't do any running.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
NFLN contradicted themselves and now said he won't do any running.

Yikes.

Now I'm scared. I really hope Ruskell doesn't worry about this.

I think it's safe to say the Chiefs aren't much a threat anymore at least.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 01:57 PM
If the Chiefs are smart they will go for a defensive player.

CC.SD
02-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Did the stress fracture knock 2-3 inches off his height? :D

Babylon
02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Yikes.

Now I'm scared. I really hope Ruskell doesn't worry about this.

I think it's safe to say the Chiefs aren't much a threat anymore at least.

Seattle has to be worried about this one, we don't need another WR who cant stay healthy. I'd still take him but at 4 you have zero margin for error.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Wait, what? Now Crab says he's going to do everything at his pro day. What?

TACKLE
02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I was a little confused by that as well.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I was a little confused by that as well.

And this woman at NFLN didn't even attempt to clarify.

Women...

M.O.T.H.
02-21-2009, 02:19 PM
It's kind of messy right now...I dont think he's running. Because, earlier when they showed that interview, a few minutes after that they said he wouldnt be running at all prior to the draft. Who knows?

M.O.T.H.
02-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Schefter just said that they are still pondering the surgery and no decisions have been made.

The stress fracture is on his left foot, a new injury. 8-10 week recovery time after surgery.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Schefter just said that they are still pondering the surgery and no decisions have been made.

The stress fracture is on his left foot, a new injury. 8-10 week recovery time after surgery.

He thinks the ultimate decision will be NOT to run and that teams would prefer that.

There is a good chance that we will NEVER see a Michael Crabtree 40 time.

M.O.T.H.
02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
He thinks the ultimate decision will be NOT to run and that teams would prefer that.

There is a good chance that we will NEVER see a Michael Crabtree 40 time.

Which may actually end up being a good thing for him...even if he was healthy.

Still...not great to see two separate foot injuries to each foot in only the last few months.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Looks like Crab will still run at his pro day, and undergo surgery after.

Latest from Schefter:

Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree and his advisers have decided to hold off on any surgery for the slight stress fracture in his left foot until after his March 26 Pro Day, those close to the player said Saturday. Crabtree is not feeling any pain in his foot and still wants to run the 40-yard dash for NFL coaches and scouts next month.

But Crabtree also is aware that, if the injury is aggravated in any way during his training process, then surgery would have to be performed right away and a screw will have to be inserted into his foot. Once surgery is performed, Crabtree would be expected to be sidelined about 10 weeks.

If he is able to hold off on the surgery until after his Pro Day, Crabtree then would miss his new team’s rookie minicamps and not return to action until mid-June. But those close to him expect that he will not have any issues being ready for training camp.

But for the time being, Crabtree will hold off on any surgery until after he runs two 40-yard dashes for NFL scouts and coaches. It is for Crabtree, at least for the time being, the most pressing business.

jballa838
02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
why not run at the combine and then get surgery? why wait a month and risk it more, and still run?

I don't buy him running below a 4.6

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
I think he will def. run well now. No way if he would post up a bad 40 time would he take a chance and run it WITH an injury.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
why not run at the combine and then get surgery? why wait a month and risk it more, and still run?

I don't buy him running below a 4.6

He's simply not prepared to run his best time.

This run directly correlates to $ in the eyes of some. He wants to make it as good as he can and that means continue preparing. Rookie minicamps are not the focus of these guys as we see every year with holdouts.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
If he gets by KC and Seattle where does he land? Niners?

bernbabybern820
02-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Probably the Raiders or Jags.

Go_Eagles77
02-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Oakland is my guess.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Oakland is my guess.

I'm sure Maclin is going to max his combine so that would be hard for Al Davis (Mr. vertical passing game) to pass up.

PossibleCabbage
02-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Quick couple of questions:

1) When we say "out ten weeks" does that mean "He's off the shelf for the next 10 weeks, but will be fine for training camp" or "He'll be starting the 2009 season on the PUP list and may be able to play in Week 11"?

2) Isn't the "leg stress fracture" the same injury that caused people to panic about Dorsey at about this time during the combine, yet he still ended up being drafted top 5? Do we have any indication about how bad Crabtree's stress fracture is compared to Dorsey's?

Go_Eagles77
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM

1) When we say "out ten weeks" does that mean "He's off the shelf for the next 10 weeks, but will be fine for training camp" or "He'll be starting the 2009 season on the PUP list and may be able to play in Week 11"?
That. Not sure about the 2nd question.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 07:17 PM

2) Isn't the "leg stress fracture" the same injury that caused people to panic about Dorsey at about this time during the combine, yet he still ended up being drafted top 5? Do we have any indication about how bad Crabtree's stress fracture is compared to Dorsey's?

1. 6-10 weeks from now
2. Don't think the injury itself is cause for concern but someone being injury prone would be.

TitanHope
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM

He'll be ready by training camp. He just needs to take it easy on his leg in order for the stress fracture to heal.

Dorsey had leg development issues as a child, so there was more cause for concern. You take a young adult male with a stress fracture, it's nothing to be worried over. You take a young adult male who's had a troublesome medical history regarding leg and mobility development, and there's more concern for this to be a chronic issue over an acute issue. Also, the positions they play also has an effect.

Anyone know where the stress fracture is? The tibia, fibula, ankle, or foot? Cause if it's in the tibia, 10 weeks is over kill on recovery time. He probably wouldn't even have noticed a fibula fracture. I assume it's either ankle or in his foot.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
He'll be ready by training camp. He just needs to take it easy on his leg in order for the stress fracture to heal.

Dorsey had leg development issues as a child, so there was more cause for concern. You take a young adult male with a stress fracture, it's nothing to be worried over. You take a young adult male who's had a troublesome medical history regarding leg and mobility development, and there's more concern for this to be a chronic issue over an acute issue. Also, the positions they play also has an effect.

Anyone know where the stress fracture is? The tibia, fibula, ankle, or foot? Cause if it's in the tibia, 10 weeks is over kill on recovery time. He probably wouldn't even have noticed a fibula fracture. I assume it's either ankle or in his foot.

Actually he won't be back until Mid-June since he is holding off on surgery. It is in his foot as well. It is currently not giving him any pain, thus why he will run his 40 at his Pro Day.

MenOfTroy
02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
A stress fracture dropped Alan Branch from the top to the 2nd round. Didn't hurt Glenn Dorsey so much.

I think it'll ultimately come down to Crabtree's 40 time. If he runs poorly, then teams will be looking at a guy who's 6'1 and not very fast, and they'll be nervous about the production from within the TTU system.

TitanHope
02-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Actually he won't be back until Mid-June since he is holding off on surgery. It is in his foot as well. It is currently not giving him any pain, thus why he will run his 40 at his Pro Day.

He probably doesn't even need surgery. 6-8 weeks in a cast will heal a stress fracture. The guy just needs to take his caltrate! ;)

I know it's to expedite his ability to get out onto the field, but just the thought of having surgery for a stress fracture bewilders me.

someone447
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
He probably doesn't even need surgery. 6-8 weeks in a cast will heal a stress fracture. The guy just needs to take his caltrate! ;)

I know it's to expedite his ability to get out onto the field, but just the thought of having surgery for a stress fracture bewilders me.

Thats because you aren't standing to make millions of dollars. Look at the guy who played center for the Cavs a couple years ago, Z. Iglasius or whatever his name was. His career was ended by stress fractures. Better to get it fixed then to risk it becoming a recurring thing.

PossibleCabbage
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
If he's only going to miss the next 6-10 weeks, that's really not that big a deal. You won't see him running at the combine, but it's not like there's a shortage of game tape on the guy. He may dip a little, but he's still almost certainly a top 10 pick.

I mean, do you really downgrade a guy greatly with tremendous production in college because he's going to miss a mini-camp? Possibly this generates a red flag that wasn't there before, but it really sounds like people are overreacting.

JFLO
02-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Isn't this the same injury that Jonathan Stewart had last year around this time?

He only managed to get picked 13th by the Panthers, so I don't think Crabtree has much to worry about when it comes to health, as long as he takes care of it properly. I don't think it's smart to wait until the pro day, but if he wants to show scouts that he can run, more power to him.

I respect him for still wanting to show scouts he can run, but I don't know if it is necessarily worth it.

Leon Sandcastle
02-21-2009, 08:16 PM
#11 to the Bills.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Crabtree to run in March

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3923924

Saints-Tigers
02-22-2009, 06:17 AM
Thats because you aren't standing to make millions of dollars. Look at the guy who played center for the Cavs a couple years ago, Z. Iglasius or whatever his name was. His career was ended by stress fractures. Better to get it fixed then to risk it becoming a recurring thing.

LOL. You mean Zydrunas Ilgauskas that has played in 73+ games every year since 2001?

Addict
02-22-2009, 06:38 AM
LOL. You mean Zydrunas Ilgauskas that has played in 73+ games every year since 2001?

no, it's the other one, who had his career ended by stress fractures. Remember?

JFLO
02-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Arveydas Sabonis

Butchered the spelling...

wogitalia
02-22-2009, 08:01 AM

I still remember when he couldn't get on the court because of his feet. Was the most injury prone guy in the NBA and then over one offseason he had some surgery or just did something different and he basically hasn't missed a game since.

jnew76
02-22-2009, 09:33 AM
I honestly believe we will not see Crabtree run at all before the draft. He has so much to lose by delaying surgery, running a mediocre time, and missing some camp. Instead, I think he will have the surgery, be ready for camp, and let his tape do the talking.

hockey619
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Thought id just bump this instead of making a whole new thread.

What are all your thoughts on Crabtree and how successful will he be at the next level?

I see a guy who has great great hands, did a good job of coming back for the ball, and is very athletic and fluid with tremendous body control. He can run after the catch and is excellent at beating press coverage. Hes quick and physical in and out of cuts and appears to be very competitive, fighting hard to get open when the play breaks down.

Some question his speed but he seems to have good enough game speed that his forty shouldnt hold that much water, to me anyway. His size isnt that impressive but he plays bigger and has good balance to battle through tackles. His route running is tough to tell because the cameras dont follow him everywhere he goes, but on the occassions it does, he seems to run pretty good routes.

When against press coverage, he does this hop thing at the start, like he steps to the guy hops and explodes past, which im not sure if its bad or good or irrelevant, just something ive noticed.

Got more thoughts but ill leave it at this for now. Thoughts?

gpngc
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
When against press coverage, he does this hop thing at the start, like he steps to the guy hops and explodes past, which im not sure if its bad or good or irrelevant, just something ive noticed.

I know what you're talking about. NFL teams won't teach that technique how he does it because he gets too high but as long as it doesn't affect timing the ends justify the means in terms of beating press coverage. His quickness is one of his underrated strengths.

As for your original question- there is no reason to think Crab won't be a special receiver in the NFL.

hockey619
02-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I agree.

I see people question his system and speed and what not, but when you just watch him and see what he does, you cant help but be impressed. His hands are just incredible, he really doesnt drop anything, and he plays with such a competitive edge. I really like his odds of being successful at the next level too.