PDA

View Full Version : Which new 3-4 should have stayed 4-3

The Legend
02-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Packers, Chiefs, or Broncos?

OSUGiants17
02-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Packers will be fine, Broncos will start off slow in the 3-4, but after a while they will be fine too. The Chiefs will blow in the 3-4.

Gay Ork Wang
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Chiefs are kinda made for Tampa 2 :(

gramage
02-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think Denver's got anyone on the roster who's really going to be helped by the transition. I know they've got a pretty good undersized pass rusher (forget his name but I know he went to Lousiville) but I remember when he was in the draft the consensus was he couldn't become a linebacker. D.J. is getting moved to a new position for the third time in his career which won't help, and who's gonna be the nose tackle?

Strikes me as a move thats gonna require a complete roster transition, I don't see the benefit.

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Packers definitely have more suited personnel for the 3-4 than Denver or Kansas City. Pickett can play the 0-gap NT spot, they have 3 or 4 guys well equipped to play the 5 technique DE. Hawk and Barnett I think can play in a two gap system. Denver and Kansas City are a mess up front, no one fits that defense.

AntoinCD
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Denvers defense isn't going to be great anytime soon no matter what scheme they play but they don't have any major players who are a terrible fit. Glen Dorsey just in no way will fit as a 5 technique and he's definitely not a NT, and the fact that the Chiefs took him 5 overall last year makes their decision extremely questionable. Green Bay will be fine

Ho0k Em'
02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Right now the Chiefs have Dorsey, Tank Tyler, and Turk McBride which right there should be at least semi-decent. At LB really all we have is DJ to play inside. There are questions as to whether Tamba could play outside, but personally I think he can. Curry is most likely going to be starting next to DJ next year. I might be biased, but I don't think the Chiefs are that far away. Also, we have 30+ in cap room to go out and sign a couple people like a Chris Canty, Igor Olshansky, Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Marques Cooper, Roosevelt Colvin, etc...

I don't really see what Denver has to work with. They could get Raji in the 1st, but if he's gone who's gonna be at nose? Marcus Thomas can fill in at one DE spot, but who's going to be on the other side. I have a hard time seeing D.J. Williams inside, but if he does who's going to play next to him. Webster is probably too small. Outside Dumervil is in the same boat as Tamba Hali. I guess Jarvis Moss could play on the other side, but how much did he even play last year?

PackerLegend
02-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Green Bay was the better 4-3 but I also think they have the most personnel as of now for the switch. Time will tell

Vox Populi
02-21-2009, 01:36 PM
At least the Broncos have some good potential 34 OLBs in Crowder, Moss, Dumerville. Ryan McBean and Marcus Thomas could be fits at end. They lack even a true 43 nose tackle so thats their biggest question mark probably. I don't see any inside 'back possibilities on their roster, really, but I guess DJ will be playing there.

If I were the Broncos I'd be praying for Raji and if hes available at 8 I really think they should make a trade with the Jags to keep him from going to the Packers.

-

The Packers have a great secondary, so they are in solid shape defensively already, but Hawk and Barnett make at least an average inside 'backer team and Kampman will still be rushing the passer a lot.

Pickett can be a fit at NT, don't know if he'll be great, but he could get the job done. They've got some depth there too with Cole and Jolly (is he still on the team?) Looking like Harrell might find a spot at DE in a 34 there. To me it looks like the Packers are missing an OLB and a DE from at least having a full set of pieces to work with.

-

The Chiefs have a nice young secondary, but more of a tampa-2 one, at least in terms of the corners. It'll be interesting to see what kind of schemes they use to suit their team. I think that if they are running any variation of the 34 next season it'll involve a massive amount of zone blitzing and look a lot different than a standard 34.

As for pieces in the front seven, Donnie Edwards has a lot of 34 experience inside with the Chargers despite being really undersized. DJ looks like he'll move inside as well. Tank Tyler has the strength to play the nose, but might not have the bulk right now. That could be fixed I guess though. Dorsey doesn't look like a fit anywhere, but I doubt the Chiefs even use anything like a standard 34 and he will basically be playing a wide tackle spot rather than an end spot on the line. Ron Edwards also has some experience in a 34 from his time with the Ravens. McBride seems undersized for an end in that scheme, but a lot of people had him pegged there going into the draft. Alfonso Boone might also be able to play end in a 34. Babin and Johnston look like they could be decent fits for a 34 while I don't think that Hali has the agility to be a linebacker or the ability to play end in a 34.

The Chiefs are going to have huge depth issues if they want to use a 34 this season and as far as I'm concerned, they are making a HUGE mistake if they try to run it this season unless they load up on players that are tailor made for the scheme through both the draft and free agency. That'll be hard to do though with the other teams switching as well and the other 10 34 defenses in the league looking to fill some spots as well.

Its not as easy to make the switch now that almost half the league is running it and I think that of these three teams, the Chiefs should have stayed with a 43 defense.

Bengalsrocket
02-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I vote for the broncos to be different. I honestly don't see how any of us can predict who will be better in a 3-4. Both the Chiefs and Broncos got a new coach, and neither of them really have any 3-4 personal (obviously each team has a couple Linebackers who can make the switch). So basically it comes down to who drafts better. Meanwhile the packers have a bit of the 3-4 defense already, it'll still be a complicated switch (remember, you don't just need 7 starters, you need 7 back ups too - people get injured all the time).

CC.SD
02-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm behind the Chiefs as a 3-4. They had no rush at all last year (unless they played the Chargers, I think we gave them half their sacks...) so now they're trying to manufacture one with the scheme. Understandable philosophy and hopefully a good draft can fire the engine up for them.

I don't know what the Broncos are really thinking though. Something similar to the Chiefs but I think the Broncos are going to have a tougher time making the switch.

bored of education
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't think it's official that the chiefs are switching just yet to a 3-4. They have Pendergast and Gibbs on D. Pendergast ran a 4-3 in AZ. Just because Pioli has drafted in the past for the 3-4 doesn't mean they are automatcially going to switch to it. I could see a transition, grabbing mid round picks of hybrid DE's, taller DT's etc. But signs right not point to staying 4-3.

CT Bronco Fan
02-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't think it's official that the chiefs are switching just yet to a 3-4. They have Pendergast and Gibbs on D. Pendergast ran a 4-3 in AZ. Just because Pioli has drafted in the past for the 3-4 doesn't mean they are automatcially going to switch to it. I could see a transition, grabbing mid round picks of hybrid DE's, taller DT's etc. But signs right not point to staying 4-3.

Adam Schefter reported the Chiefs will be switching to the 3-4.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/what-will-move-to-3-4-mean-to-chiefs-dorsey/

gramage
02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
The chiefs are really wasting the talent they have with the switch. Dorsey and Tyler are young and have potential as a pair of DT's, they'll be less effective as 3-4 ends. Tamba is a not enough of an athlete to be a linebacker, but he has had a good year at end when paired next to a good player. And what one of theie linebackers is going to be in a better position in a 3-4? If they had anyone able to blitz well they wouldn't have had such a weak pass rush last year.

I wouldn't be suprised if they scrap the transition in camp, or run similarly to Arizona last year where they did a fair bit of both.

bored of education
02-21-2009, 02:14 PM
thats Schefter. Once they hire Romeo Crennel as DC or announce it or something then I will believe it. They could run a hyrbid or somethig next year. So its all specualtive at this point.

bored of education
02-21-2009, 02:15 PM
The chiefs are really wasting the talent they have with the switch. Dorsey and Tyler are young and have potential as a pair of DT's, they'll be less effective as 3-4 ends. Tamba is a not enough of an athlete to be a linebacker, but he has had a good year at end when paired next to a good player. And what one of theie linebackers is going to be in a better position in a 3-4? If they had anyone able to blitz well they wouldn't have had such a weak pass rush last year.

I wouldn't be suprised if they scrap the transition in camp, or run similarly to Arizona last year where they did a fair bit of both.
Zona ran 4-3 80% of the time.

gramage
02-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Zona ran 4-3 80% of the time.

That much? I thought it was closer to 70%. Either way I think KC will realize that the players they have and want to work with fit the 4-3 better.

CashmoneyDrew
02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Denver is the only team out of those three that should be experimenting with their D. The Chiefs and the Packers each have a lot of good young players invested in on the defensive side that I'm not sure fit in a 3-4. Chiefs: Dorsey, Johnson, Hali. Packers: Hawk, Kampmann, Harrell. It just seems like a potential waste to me.

JFLO
02-21-2009, 03:35 PM
I think that the Broncos somewhat have the speed to do so, so they shouldn't have that big of a problem, if any at all.

The Packers are in a good position to improve it in the draft this year, because they should have the opportunity to draft a stud pass rusher or a stud nose tackle, so they should have a good start.

The Chiefs, if they draft Curry should have a good start, but I don't think that they have the right personnel other than that, and they would have to move Dorsey to the 3-4 end, which is either going to be a great move or a horrible move.

I think all teams should make a decent transition, but if I had to pick one to struggle, it would be the Chiefs.

fenikz
02-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Pendergast has no knowledge of the 3-4 i dont see why they even hired him

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Right now the Chiefs have Dorsey, Tank Tyler, and Turk McBride which right there should be at least semi-decent. At LB really all we have is DJ to play inside. There are questions as to whether Tamba could play outside, but personally I think he can. Curry is most likely going to be starting next to DJ next year. I might be biased, but I don't think the Chiefs are that far away. Also, we have 30+ in cap room to go out and sign a couple people like a Chris Canty, Igor Olshansky, Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Marques Cooper, Roosevelt Colvin, etc...

I don't really see what Denver has to work with. They could get Raji in the 1st, but if he's gone who's gonna be at nose? Marcus Thomas can fill in at one DE spot, but who's going to be on the other side. I have a hard time seeing D.J. Williams inside, but if he does who's going to play next to him. Webster is probably too small. Outside Dumervil is in the same boat as Tamba Hali. I guess Jarvis Moss could play on the other side, but how much did he even play last year?

Glenn Dorsey is a 3 technique who will be out of position as long as he is asked to play 2 gaps in the 5 technique. Derrick Johnson is about as bad a fit at 3-4 ILB as you can have for a guy that big. He doesn't do well with blocks and will struggle with a guard not being covered up by a DT. Tyler can play NT but he's not a longterm answer, they still need a real NT. McBride I think can play the 5 technique, but it's still TBD if he's gonna be a starter in the NFL and succeed. Hali isn't a great fit at 3-4 OLB but I think he's versatile enough to play there. KC needs at least 2 more starting DL and 3 new LBs. That's all but 2 guys in their front seven that need to be overhauled, not including Dorsey who is a bad fit and Hali who isn't a perfect fit either. KC is much more fit for a cover 2 defense, and there is nothing farther away from a true 3-4 than a cover 2 or a tampa 2.

thebow305
02-21-2009, 04:29 PM
All three have a ton of work to do IMO. I'm not sure any of them are any better suited then the other.

Ho0k Em'
02-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Glenn Dorsey is a 3 technique who will be out of position as long as he is asked to play 2 gaps in the 5 technique. Derrick Johnson is about as bad a fit at 3-4 ILB as you can have for a guy that big. He doesn't do well with blocks and will struggle with a guard not being covered up by a DT. Tyler can play NT but he's not a longterm answer, they still need a real NT. McBride I think can play the 5 technique, but it's still TBD if he's gonna be a starter in the NFL and succeed. Hali isn't a great fit at 3-4 OLB but I think he's versatile enough to play there. KC needs at least 2 more starting DL and 3 new LBs. That's all but 2 guys in their front seven that need to be overhauled, not including Dorsey who is a bad fit and Hali who isn't a perfect fit either. KC is much more fit for a cover 2 defense, and there is nothing farther away from a true 3-4 than a cover 2 or a tampa 2.

Warren Sapp(only comparison I can think of) was a 3 tech also, and albiet he's one of the best DT's of all time he fared alright in Oakland. Dorsey might not have the ideal height, and it might not be his best position, but there are plenty of 6'2/6'3 3-4 DE's in the league. What makes Derrick Johnson a bad fit at ILB. Shedding blocks might have been his biggest knock, but he has never had a problem with it. Tyler looks the part, and we won't know if he can hold it down until he actually plays. If we don't get a Canty or Olshansky this year in FA than I really wouldn't consider making the switch. So I look at like this if we get another DE(Canty,Olshansky), Curry, and another Rushbacker maybe two(If Hali doesn't work out) and we're good.

Splat
02-21-2009, 05:14 PM

At this point we don't know why either the Chiefs have still not come out and said who will be the DC some thing is up but who knows what I think they are still trying to get Romeo Crennel.

That being said I don't feel the Chiefs will just dive all in to the 3-4 it will be a slow transition IMO.

BamaFalcon59
02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
The Chiefs had all the tools to be an amazing tampa 2 defense. Huge mistake going to the 3-4.

Splat
02-21-2009, 05:19 PM
The Chiefs had all the tools to be an amazing tampa 2 defense. Huge mistake going to the 3-4.

Did you see their D last year?

BamaFalcon59
02-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Did you see their D last year?

And? They are young. All they would need are some defensive ends and a middle linebacker. Safties are easy to find.

bigbluedefense
02-21-2009, 06:24 PM
we won't know until 3 years from now.

the only player in KC that will be wasted in this front is Dorsey. Everyone else is either irrelevant anyway, or will fair fine in the new scheme.

Denver, what difference does it make? They all suck. I could care less if they "fit". They didn't "fit" in a 4-3 either.

The Packers are very capable of the switch. To me the big question mark will be how well Kampman transitions. Their decision in my eyes lies with that one question mark. Everyone else will be fine.

BlindSite
02-22-2009, 01:06 AM
It's a huge mistake for KC, their personnel might be able to be shoved into the scheme, but its not a good fit.

nobodyinparticular
02-22-2009, 02:19 AM
I don't really like any of the teams that switched to the 3-4 defense. Broncos and Chiefs especially. Packers are iffy, but count me as one of the few who doesn't like Kampman as a 3-4 OLB.

Gay Ork Wang
02-22-2009, 08:35 AM
we won't know until 3 years from now.

the only player in KC that will be wasted in this front is Dorsey. Everyone else is either irrelevant anyway, or will fair fine in the new scheme.

Denver, what difference does it make? They all suck. I could care less if they "fit". They didn't "fit" in a 4-3 either.

The Packers are very capable of the switch. To me the big question mark will be how well Kampman transitions. Their decision in my eyes lies with that one question mark. Everyone else will be fine.
Dont u think Flowers is gonna suffer?

Wyndham
02-22-2009, 08:50 AM
The Chiefs have one guy who's worth keeping a 4-3 for, and he hasn't proven he can dominate in it yet. The Broncos have none. It's hardly that much of a difference that it's a great move for Denver and a horrible move for KC. I'll trust Scott Pioli's judgement over Brian Xanders, whoever the hell that is.

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2009, 10:37 AM

Flowers will be lockdown in any sytem.

bigbluedefense
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Flowers will be fine. Especially in a Parcells style 3-4.

Flowers was always a great #2 CB in any scheme, and a great #1 in a Tampa 2.

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Flowers will be an amazing number one in any scheme. Bank on it.

bigbluedefense
02-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Flowers will be an amazing number one in any scheme. Bank on it.

could be, i need to see more of him.

I loved him as a safety prospect personally.

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
could be, i need to see more of him.

I loved him as a safety prospect personally.

There's no reason to put him at safety. He's better suited at cornerback.

bored of education
02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Flowers is a stud. He did not time well but he moves better in pads than DRC, Antonio Cromartie, etc. He is a natural football player..not a track athlete. He will have a Ty Law type career.

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Flowers is a stud. He did not time well but he moves better in pads than DRC, Antonio Cromartie, etc. He is a natural football player..not a track athlete. He will have a Ty Law type career.

I can definitely see that.

Except he hits harder.

Menardo75
02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Kansas City is built for the Tampa two so the transition might take a while.

vikes_28
02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
packers are going to get rocked in the 3-4

Boston
02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
packers are going to get rocked in the 3-4

And....thread.

Mr. Stiller
02-22-2009, 05:52 PM
haven't been paying attention.. didn't know the chiefs were heading 3-4.

I think it really depends on what flavor of 3-4 those teams implement.

I think KC has a solid secondary and with some weight loss Hali could be a similar SOLB to LaMarr Woodley. The rest of the front 7 is a scare. Tank Tyler seems like a nice NT to start with.. question is... what do you do with Dorsey. Johnston has 3-4 DE potential.

Denvers defense was in dire need of help, how can you have much drop off from one of the worst units? Moss/Dumerville seem like a nice OLB duo. The ILB's/DL scare me of this group.

Green Bay has had one of the better 4-3 defenses. I don't know why they're blowing this up with a team with a lot of 2-4 year talent and a top notch pass rusher and some youth. away from being a top unit again.

I voted Green Bay.

Mr. Stiller
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
At least the Broncos have some good potential 34 OLBs in Crowder, Moss, Dumerville. Ryan McBean and Marcus Thomas could be fits at end.

I wouldn't hold my breath on McBean. He was given 2.5 years and couldn't handle it in Pittsburghs scheme.

Like I said, it really depends on the flavor of the 3-4 they run. McBean/Thomas might be better suited in a Dallas style 3-4.

Menardo75
02-22-2009, 06:53 PM

By that do you mean he just doesn't know what he is doing when calling for the 3-4? You guys ran a hybrid the last two years didn't you?

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Could Dorsey play a Darnell Dockett type role in the 3-4, lining up at end and tackle?

Menardo75
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Could Dorsey play a Darnell Dockett type role in the 3-4, lining up at end and tackle?

If he stays healthy I think he could do just about anything.

bored of education
02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

People fail to realize that AZ played 3-4 like 35 total plays this year in non nickle situations.

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
People fail to realize that AZ played 3-4 like 35 total plays this year in non nickle situations.

I saw Dockett playing a 0 tech often in the Superbowl. And he is not the largest guy.

That is what I meant.

umphrey
02-23-2009, 12:59 AM
I made this write up about how well the Packers will fit the 3-4 for the Packers forum, but given its relevance to the thread and how much time I spend on it I figured I might as well post it here

In depth look at where our players fit for the transition:

Name Height Weight Age

Justin Harrell 6-4 320 25
Projection: DE
Harrell doesn't fit very well in a 3-4. He is a NT/DE tweener. I think he ends up in the starting mix at DE but he might have a future at NT, possibly being a backup at that position. Right now I'm not sure he has the ability to eat up a center and a guard, which is why he'll probably be a DE. He has to show the ability to hold the edge. On the plus side, I think he can succeed pushing the pocket at the RT side, where he won't really do much himself, but could prove to be pretty valuable by opening lanes for Kampman to make plays behind him.

Aaron Kampman 6-4 265 29
Projection: OLB
Is almost the ideal size for a rush OLB in the 3-4. He should be very successful, but will have to work at developing new instincts, adjust to playing in space and moving laterally. He will rush pretty much the same area as before, and being a bull rusher, he should be very good at generating pressure on the QB. Hitting the pocket with a running start will make him very hard to block. He may be a liability against the run, where he will have trouble shifting outside and chasing down the runner, but he can fight through blocks.

Michael Montgomery 6-5 273 25
Could be a very good fit at DE for us. Has the height and arm span to hold the edge, but he might not be able to pressure the pocket very well. Needs to put on weight to stick at this position. Could do very well at containing the runner and directing him inside, but may not be able to shed the blocks and make the tackles. Needs to get stronger.

Ryan Pickett 6-2 330 29
Projection: NT
Pretty good size for a NT. Plays with decent leverage and is used to going against a guard/center. Lacks the quickness and burst to be a true playmaker NT that we could really use, but is satisfactory. Conditioning may be an issue - I could see him wearing down really fast when we stick him in the middle of the line. Won't be able to get a push like we desire, but should hold his own.

Jeremy Thompson 6-4 270 23
True tweener between a OLB and DE (in 3-4). May not last long on the team. However, he has potential to be a good DE for us, if he really hits the weight room and add 15 pounds of muscle and some bulk. Could be a DE that can not only hold the edge, but shed some blocks and generate some pressure, but if he doesn't get bigger he'll just be a waste that gets pushed around. Could project to OLB, but he's not fast enough and won't be able to adjust to playing in space. Not a good enough natural rusher. Seeing as how he is young, he has a much better chance at adding bulk and playing DE than slimming down and playing OLB. Just not fast or agile enough.

Desmond Bishop 6-2 238 24
Projection: ILB
Could end up being a solid ILB thumper for us. Better fit in the 3-4 than 4-3. Can't cover well, but he could be a very solid run stuffer. Can make the tough tackles inside if traffic is directed towards him. Not sure how well he can shed blocks, but plays with power. Probably ends up being a backup, but might end up seeing significant playing time, particularly rotating in at short yardage situations or could be a good backup for both Hawk and Barnett.

Brandon Chillar 6-3 243 26
Should be a versatile backup for us, but lacks the natural edge rushing ability to be a true starting OLB. Plays well in space and can cover, but isn't explosive enough to get to the quarterback as an OLB rusher, and is undersized for the position. Could also play inside, but should be better playing OLB against the run and in coverage, where he can move laterally and read running plays well, and chase down stretch running plays.

A.J. Hawk 6-1 248 25
Good size for a 3-4 ILB and has excellent instincts that should help him. However he needs to get stronger and do a better job shedding blocks. Might struggle making tackles inside. Could end up being very good for us if he can play with more power and make tackles, because then we might really see him making plays all across the LOS as well as being a rock solid cover LB. But could also get pancaked going against big interior lineman, and be a big failure. Don't see him as an OLB - just not big enough and not a natural edge rusher.

Brady Poppinga 6-3 247 29
Decent fit as an OLB with good power and pretty good edge rushing skills. Lacks ideal speed and over pursuits at times, but should generate pressure and can stuff the run, albeit inconsistently. Good size for the position, but could stand to add a few pounds and his frame may be maxed out. Almost useless in coverage and doesn't play well laterally. Needs to develop better instincts and vision.

Nick Barnett 6-2 236 27
Should really excel at ILB. Has good speed and plays with the explosiveness that we need for an inside backer. Should bulk up and at 5-10 pounds. Can shed blocks well and a good tackler inside. Good instincts and should do very well when traffic is directed his way. Shouldn't have much of a problem going against the bigger interior lineman and can even cover if needed. Only potential problem is if he can't add weight and gets pushed around.

Cullen Jenkins 6-2 305 28
Excellent fit at DE. Good size, but ideally would be a little taller with better wing span. Should be very good at holding his position as well as getting some penetration. Decent quickness and first step which should really help him. Needs to adjust to being more self sacrificing, and try to direct traffic rather than make too many plays.

Johnny Jolly 6-3 320 26
Could be a pretty good DE for us, but might need to lose some weight. Could be both a good space eater for the linebackers that can also generate pressure. May struggle holding the edge and pushing traffic inside. Has decent strength, may not be quick enough. Should do well except against off tackle runs, where he could get pushed inside. Note: I think his legal troubles are overblown and they won't affect his career that much.

Projected depth chart:
RDE: Cullen Jenkins, Michael Montgomery, Jeremy Thompson
NT: Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell
LDE: Johnny Jolly, Justin Harrell, Michael Montgomery
ROLB: Brady Poppinga, Brandon Chillar
RILB: AJ Hawk, Brandon Chillar
LILB: Nick Barnett, Desmond Bishop
LOLB: Aaron Kampman, Brandon Chillar*

*Chillar is listed as a backup for 3 linebacker spots - it's obvious we need to draft another OLB. I want Orakpo, Brown would be a good choice as well. We can put Chillar at OLB and be OK as long as we have a blitz threat on the other side like Kampman or Orakpo, but the defense will really struggle if we have Chillar and Poppinga both on the field.

nobodyinparticular
02-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Skills vs. size are two very different things. I just don't like the skills that Kampman has translated to the 3-4.

umphrey
02-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Skills vs. size are two very different things. I just don't like the skills that Kampman has translated to the 3-4.

I think he's going to be a dominant bull rusher, but the other skills have to develop (which isn't guaranteed to happen). And he can stop the run, but he can't let himself get lost in space and he might be too slow to catch runners on the outside.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Kampmann makes his money with leverage. He's one of the best leverage bullrushers in the game. Reminds me of a poor man's Strahan.

With the switch to rushbacker, its gonna be much harder for him to use leverage, because he's not squatted down, and isn't short enough to get under pads like Harrison and Woodley of the Steelers do.

And thats just the pass rushing aspect of it. How fluid are his hips in coverage and run stuffing?

I think he's much better suited as a natural base LE in a 4-3, but we'll see how he fares. He's the one real question mark to this transition.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Kampmann makes his money with leverage. He's one of the best leverage bullrushers in the game. Reminds me of a poor man's Strahan.

With the switch to rushbacker, its gonna be much harder for him to use leverage, because he's not squatted down, and isn't short enough to get under pads like Harrison and Woodley of the Steelers do.

And thats just the pass rushing aspect of it. How fluid are his hips in coverage and run stuffing?

I think he's much better suited as a natural base LE in a 4-3, but we'll see how he fares. He's the one real question mark to this transition.

That's what I am curious to see too.. I want to see how he does standing up and in coverage and basically reading his keys up right..

nepg
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Arizona's defense was basically a 3-4 in a 4-3 base. That's what Pendergrast runs. It's a hybrid. The Chiefs will likely run the same thing with more emphasis on 3-4 fronts.

I see them moving Dorsey around the DL. He'll play both NT and DE, I see that as the most effective way to utilize him until he can handle the NT duties full-time. He could definitely develop into a Casey Hampton. But he could be a Jay Ratliff in the mean-time.

The Chiefs need to focus on getting a few 3-4 DE's and OLB's. Plenty of options in UFA, but they should also probably be the ones to pull the Jarron Gilbert trigger in the 2nd round if Tyson Jackson isn't there.
________
Glass Pipe (http://glasspipes.net/)

Chief49er
02-24-2009, 08:11 PM
The Broncos have Mike Nolan, instant fail!