PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Maybin is 250lbs

BuffaloBillsDraft
02-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Penn St. DE/OLB Aaron Maybin apparently heard the critics that said he was too light to be a DE in the NFL. Admitting that he finished his final college season at 230 pounds.

“They wanted to see me put on some weight,” said Maybin. “So I went to work and put on 20 pounds. I feel real good right now.”

Maybin is now at 250 and said he feels good and more explosive than when he was 230. He’s been doing a lot of explosion, power lifting type training. We’ll see if it pays off, but many expect him to have a monster workout, which will only send him further up the first round board.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/21/maybin-adds-20-pounds/

Larry
02-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope he worked on his lower body strength. The dude literally had chicken legs at Penn state.

BuffaloBillsDraft
02-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Before and after.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/mandelgeorge/n9379806_54973222_6909.jpg

ThePudge
02-21-2009, 01:19 PM
The people here will find a way to turn this into a negative. A lot of Aaron Maybin hating on this site. Good for him though, good to see he's taking the pre-draft process very seriously.

02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
The people here will find a way to turn this into a negative. A lot of Aaron Maybin hating on this site. Good for him though, good to see he's taking the pre-draft process very seriously.

I think it has more to do with all the McShay hype haha.

Beans
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Before and after.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/mandelgeorge/n9379806_54973222_6909.jpg

the old michael jackson treatment, eh?

metafour
02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Is this a confirmed weight (as in, he weighed in at 250lbs at the combine) or is this from an article where he claims to be 250lbs? If he is 250lbs then that really opens things up for him quite a bit.

BeerBaron
02-21-2009, 01:24 PM

I just don't see him as a pro 4-3 end. As a PSU fan, his explosiveness is his biggest attribute and I'm wary of him putting on a lot of size while keeping that. He's going to get pushed around by pro lineman if he starts plays with his hand down....And you can point to the Colts as a team who makes 240-ish DE's work but they are without doubt an exception and not the rule.

If he goes to a non 3-4 team, I'd be surprised if he works out as more than a situational pass rusher. That turns me off to him for a team like Buffalo, Houston, or Chicago that are picking in his value-range (imo) and are in need of an every down DE.

BuffaloBillsDraft
02-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Here is another link.

Maybin at 250

INDIANAPOLIS - Penn State defensive end Aaron Maybin just checked in at the NFL Scouting Combine media center. He has his weight up to 250 pounds. He's 6-foot-3 1/2. That's probably good news for teams that may want him to be a 4-3 defensive end. Now we'll see if he runs a fast time.

---Mark Gaughan
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/02/maybin-at-250.html

FrankGore
02-21-2009, 01:29 PM
250 makes him the ideal 3-4 OLB probably, assuming he carries that weight well enough to run in the 4.4s or close still. SF @ #10 just pricked up their ears, I know that.

underscore
02-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I wonder how much he weighs after he takes a leak after chugging a gallon or two of water before weigh in.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
250 makes him the ideal 3-4 OLB probably, assuming he carries that weight well enough to run in the 4.4s or close still. SF @ #10 just pricked up their ears, I know that.

4.4s will shock people. Word is he's running high 4.6s which is pretty special in itself. I think he's an OLB in a 3-4 and is probably going to take some time to see the field, otherwise what's not to like?

stealthbomber
02-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd still take both Brown and Orakpo over Maybin any day of the week.
English and Sintim might be better than Maybin.

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I hope he worked on his lower body strength. The dude literally had chicken legs at Penn state.

incorrect usage of the word literally. Pet peeve of mine, ESPN does it all the time.

Brown is my favorite 3-4 OLB prospect, I think Orakpo is the safest, but Maybin intrigues me because he has the most upside.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Can we bring back the thread with everyone saying that he looked small in that picture?

Agree with Pudge- way too much Maybin hating here for no reason. Now watch him run a 4.65 and no ones going to be claiming he'll fall to the 20's.

Mouse
02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
people thought he would be less than 240

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Lol at the USC kicker outbenching Oher & Monroe

Chio151
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd still take both Brown and Orakpo over Maybin any day of the week.
English and Sintim might be better than Maybin.

Bleh, as a 3-4 OLB, I would take Maybin over Orakpo and Brown. Most probably think I'm crazy, but he's much more fluid.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Lol at the USC kicker outbenching Oher & Monroe

Not just any kicker. Buehler came to SC as a DB/k. Runs in the 4.5 range at 225 lbs. Not only does he have a strong leg it's like having another cover guy on special teams. love this guy.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Bleh, as a 3-4 OLB, I would take Maybin over Orakpo and Brown. Most probably think I'm crazy, but he's much more fluid.

I think Orakpo is a DE so i'd leave him out of it. Brown and Maybin both are going to have to play standing up and there is no real indication they can do that although they are gifted enough to for sure.

CC.SD
02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
If a 3-4 team wants to choose between Brown, Maybin, and Orakpo I'm not so sure Maybin isn't the first rusher taken. Nifty. The kid is beastly.

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 02:00 PM

His big questions are size and strength. He is a liability against the run, if you watch his tape you will see that he rarely seals off the edge on running plays which is a red flag for a 3-4 OLB. His first step and burst, lateral quickness, and pass rushing ability are ridiculous though. If he gets bigger like Shawne Merriman did (minus the roids) then he could reach his potential. Orakpo is almost as good a pass rusher (not as many moves or as consistent a motor) but he seals the edge off very well.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
His big questions are size and strength. He is a liability against the run, if you watch his tape you will see that he rarely seals off the edge on running plays which is a red flag for a 3-4 OLB. His first step and burst, lateral quickness, and pass rushing ability are ridiculous though. If he gets bigger like Shawne Merriman did (minus the roids) then he could reach his potential. Orakpo is almost as good a pass rusher (not as many moves or as consistent a motor) but he seals the edge off very well.

His run defense isn't his greatest strength by any stretch but he's not awful at all. He had 19 tackles for loss this season against the run...

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 02:09 PM
well there's a difference between getting TFLs in college and getting sealed off on the edge like a small linebacker would on outside running plays. He needs to get stronger or else tackles and tight ends will just have a picnic sealing him off on the edge, which will hurt a team's run defense.

staubach41
02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
If he can run with that weight I could see him going as high as ten to the 49ers. Singletary would be able to get the most out of his potential. Add him to Willis they would have a dynamic linebacker core.

gpngc
02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
If he can run with that weight I could see him going as high as ten to the 49ers. Singletary would be able to get the most out of his potential. Add him to Willis they would have a dynamic linebacker core.

1/2 of a dynamic LB core. lol

phlysac
02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
250 makes him the ideal 3-4 OLB

DeMarcus Ware - 257
Anthony Spencer - 257
Greg Ellis - 265
Shawne Merriman - 272
Shawn Phillips - 262
James Harrison - 242 (but only 6' tall - clearly not a 3-4 prototype)
LaMarr Woodley - 265
Willie McGinest - 270
Kamerion Wimbley - 255
Calvin Pace - 270
Vernon Gholston - 264
Joey Porter - 255
Quentin Moses - 260
Matt Roth - 272
Pary Haralson - 255
Manny Lawson - 245
Lawrence Timmons - 234 (only 6'1")

Only Lawson and Timmons weigh less so I can't say that 250 is "ideal". It certainly makes him a tremendously more attractive prospect than 236, however.

Chio151
02-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Those players are all in the 240-270 range. He's very close there. With a proper base weight training program and some added padding (read: fat) he will be right there.

FrankGore
02-21-2009, 02:36 PM
DeMarcus Ware - 257
Anthony Spencer - 257
Greg Ellis - 265
Shawne Merriman - 272
Shawn Phillips - 262
LaMarr Woodley - 265
Willie McGinest - 270
Kamerion Wimbley - 255
Calvin Pace - 270
Vernon Gholston - 264
Joey Porter - 255
Quentin Moses - 260
Matt Roth - 272
Pary Haralson - 255
Manny Lawson - 245

Only Lawson and Timmons weigh less so I can't say that 250 is "ideal". It certainly makes him a tremendously more attractive prospect than 236, however.

Prob not the best choice of words, but being within 5-7 pounds of most guys is pretty good. He could presumably get naturally bigger over the course of the next few years too.

metafour
02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
If Maybin has indeed added 20lbs in about 2 months or however long its been since the season ennded then he should really have very little problem adding another 5 or so lbs if he wanted to between now and the start of the season.

GB12
02-21-2009, 02:57 PM
DeMarcus Ware - 257
Anthony Spencer - 257
Greg Ellis - 265
Shawne Merriman - 272
Shawn Phillips - 262
LaMarr Woodley - 265
Willie McGinest - 270
Kamerion Wimbley - 255
Calvin Pace - 270
Vernon Gholston - 264
Joey Porter - 255
Quentin Moses - 260
Matt Roth - 272
Pary Haralson - 255
Manny Lawson - 245

Timmons is an ILB.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Many of the pro 3-4 OLBs listed didn't come into the league at their current weight.

Demarcus Ware wasn't a 257 pound rookie, nor was Merriman a 272 lb OLB for San Diego his first year in the NFL, ( I doubt he's 270+ now, that's the weight Shawne had put on before his rookie year when teams were looking at him to play DE. I heard he dropped to the 255-260 range to play LB).

Maybin's likely going to be a situational pass rusher in the league, a LB who can get into a three point stance on passing downs, which makes him ideal for 4-3 teams like the Skins or Giants.

phlysac
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Timmons is an ILB.
Was drafted as a pass rush prospect. Only way to get him on the field is to throw him inside on certain downs.

Jakey
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Was drafted as a pass rush prospect. Only way to get him on the field is to throw him inside on certain downs.

No, hes a ILB. And he is now around 242lbs.

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Timmons is an ILB, he's not gonna be a longterm OLB, he plays there to provide depth. He'll play Larry Foote's position eventually for a long time in Pittsburgh.

phlysac
02-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Many of the pro 3-4 OLBs listed didn't come into the league at their current weight.

Demarcus Ware wasn't a 257 pound rookie, nor was Merriman a 272 lb OLB for San Diego his first year in the NFL, ( I doubt he's 270+ now, that's the weight Shawne had put on before his rookie year when teams were looking at him to play DE. I heard he dropped to the 255-260 range to play LB).

Maybin's likely going to be a situational pass rusher in the league, a LB who can get into a three point stance on passing downs, which makes him ideal for 4-3 teams like the Skins or Giants.

Actually Shawne Merriman weighed 272 at the combine and his pro-day according to another draft site. DeMarcus Ware, in fact weighed 250 at the Combine and could potentially be an ideal comparison. Unfortunately, Maybin looks very maxed out in these recent photos.

You're analysis of him being a situation pass rusher is very possible.

PENNSTATEHOMER
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Aaron Maybin is far from maxed out, you've got to be kidding me. Had he stayed at PSU 2 more seasons, I'd be willing to bet that he would be 250-255 pounder capable of getting near 265 in preparation for the draft...he'll never be a thick bodied 275 pound thumper though (he just isn't that guy).

Aaron Maybin, and current PSU LB Navarro Bowman are probably two of the better athletes (as far as physical specimens) we've had since the LaVar days...either of those players would flash on any collegiate team in the nation.

Also keep in mind that he is only a RS sophomore, and that he was raw coming out of high school. You can't underestimate the difference 2 years would've had physically, but the fact is that he is ready physically now. If you watched any PSU games, you'd see him running down WRs 20 yards after the catch, when he was on the line rushing the QB.

Don't be surprised when Maybin runs mid 4.5 (4.54-4.57 - I believe he can do this if he has been trained well), gets close to/hits 40 inch vertical and benches 26-28 times despite still having a very lean frame. Also if he was trained well he should kill it in the 3-cone (he'll excel here) and drills because he has been working with his hand down, doing LB drills and even doing some DB drills. The kid is a fantastic human being, a very talented artist (he paints/draws) and a tremendous athlete.

phlysac
02-21-2009, 06:25 PM
No, hes a ILB. And he is now around 242lbs.

Timmons is an ILB, he's not gonna be a longterm OLB, he plays there to provide depth. He'll play Larry Foote's position eventually for a long time in Pittsburgh.

Guys relax. I know he's currently playing ILB for the Steelers. My point was that he was a rush OLB coming out of Florida St, and was kicked inside BECAUSE of his size.

Chio151
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Aaron Maybin is far from maxed out, you've got to be kidding me. Had he stayed at PSU 2 more seasons, I'd be willing to bet that he would be 250-255 pounder capable of getting near 265 in preparation for the draft...he'll never be a thick bodied 275 pound thumper though (he just isn't that guy).

Aaron Maybin, and current PSU LB Navarro Bowman are probably two of the better athletes (as far as physical specimens) we've had since the LaVar days...either of those players would flash on any collegiate team in the nation.

Also keep in mind that he is only a RS sophomore, and that he was raw coming out of high school. You can't underestimate the difference 2 years would've had physically, but the fact is that he is ready physically now. If you watched any PSU games, you'd see him running down WRs 20 yards after the catch, when he was on the line rushing the QB.

Don't be surprised when Maybin runs mid 4.5 (4.54-4.57 - I believe he can do this if he has been trained well), gets close to/hits 40 inch vertical and benches 26-28 times despite still having a very lean frame. Also if he was trained well he should kill it in the 3-cone (he'll excel here) and drills because he has been working with his hand down, doing LB drills and even doing some DB drills. The kid is a fantastic human being, a very talented artist (he paints/draws) and a tremendous athlete.

Thanks for the perspective. Maybin is one of the more enigmatic and interesting prospects this year. I've started to warm up to him considerably.

underscore
02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd be surprised to see Maybin get under 4.6. If he does, kudos.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Big fan. Will be interesting to see what the added weight does.

Black Bolt
02-21-2009, 07:19 PM

How he could just gain 20 pounds like that.

PACKmanN
02-21-2009, 07:21 PM

STERIODZZZ!!!!

Black Bolt
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
that Jason Taylor still looks like a bag of bones, yet he is a great DE.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Has he gained any leg muscle?

SenorGato
02-21-2009, 08:58 PM
incorrect usage of the word literally. Pet peeve of mine, ESPN does it all the time.

Brown is my favorite 3-4 OLB prospect, I think Orakpo is the safest, but Maybin intrigues me because he has the most upside.

When people do this to prospects...usually in safest, favorite, upside order....always go with the middle guy.

Everette Brown is going to be sick in the NFL.

Maybin's nasty. Hopefully he's around at 17 (for pick of the litters sake) because Brown definitely won't be.

I like Orakpo, but I like the other 2 much more.

P-L
02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
This is great news for him, but now the question will be if he can keep the weight on or not.

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
When people do this to prospects...usually in safest, favorite, upside order....always go with the middle guy.

Everette Brown is going to be sick in the NFL.

Maybin's nasty. Hopefully he's around at 17 (for pick of the litters sake) because Brown definitely won't be.

I like Orakpo, but I like the other 2 much more.

I go back and forth between the three, but Maybin usually finishes 3rd in where I'd put them b/c of his size/strength and ability to get overpowered against the run. Brown's closing speed and the fact that his stats all came in only a few games in scary. Orakpo's injury history, inconsistency, and limited pass rushing moves scares me. However Orakpo's strength, ability to seal the edge against the run, and his ridiculous closing speed to the QB makes me like him the most at times.

Iamcanadian
02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Maybin was already on the rise even before this news. His 1st step is explosive off the edge and why anybody thought he couldn't add weight is beyond me. Still he'll need a solid combine to keep his momentum rolling but I for one won't be shocked if he gets drafted before Orakpo and Brown if he has an excellent combine. Neither of these guys have Maybin's 1st step explosiveness.

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 10:29 PM
+1. Maybin was 250 today, DeMarcus Ware wasn't that at the combine when he came out, and his frame wouldn't hold as much weight as Maybin's. JoePa said Maybin's metabolism made it hard for him to hold weight, but when he's 26 years old and in an NFL weight program that issue will be ancient history. I can see Maybin in the 250s in the NFL even if he may only be around 248 or in the low 250s as a rook.

That said, him getting pushed around on film will hinder his draft stock, I don't think he'll get it as high as Gholston did last year (though it's not out of the question). Until scouts see him hold his ground consistently on outside runs they'll hold that against him as a liability. Stopping the run is not all about weight and strength. His upside could definitely make him a higher pick than Orakpo and Brown.

D-Unit
02-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Maybin is gonna tear up the NFL. Top 5 player in any draft.

Chio151
02-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Brown will drop hard. Shorter and slower than expected.

toonsterwu
02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I am a big Maybin fan. I don't know if he's going to dominate right away, but I do think he's a guy that I would draft if I needed a pass rush, and I wouldn't care about the scheme. There's that step ... and I don't think anyone else in this class matches up with him with his step.

If he blows the roof off the door in workouts, don't be surprised if he jumps up to a solid top 10, with a shot at top 5. Granted, just speculation on his workout ability, but there's a lot to be intrigued with.

HorusKing
02-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I hope that he falls to the Texans at #15 if he is indeed at 250 pounds we will definately take a look at him.

Menardo75
02-22-2009, 07:14 PM
My only knock on Maybin was that he is too small still to be anything more than a situational rusher in a 4-3 defense. He is a great fit as a 3-4 OLB before and after. Even though he got his weight up I still don't think he will have a great rookie year, and will need to take this year to develope.

foozball
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
maybin is destined to be a 3-4 OLB. he already gained 20lbs. if he gains another 15lbs, it will probably hinder his flexibility/fluidness. he looks almost maxed out already.

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Any chance the Browns look at him at #5?

PENNSTATEHOMER
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I was shocked by Maybin's double 4.78 (unofficial?) runs...really shocked. I've got to wonder whether or not putting on 15-20 pounds prior to the combine was a smart move...I think he can do much better than that even at 250 but I think he could've been a 4.6 guy (maybe even 4.5) easily at 235.

I think the benefits outweigh the negatives because he was getting beat up in the media over his weight and whether he could gain the necessary weight for the next level but still....tad disappointed. :( Warren Sapp loved him, especially when he was doing the rip/swim drills...he sounded like he was astonished. Plus he said the kid is only 20, can't even buy a drink, and will grow into a man size body.

6'3.5-6'4 250, 4.78, 38 inch vertical...still don't know what he benched but the vertical is right in line with what I thought (38-40) and he still looks amazing with his first few steps.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I was impressed that he weighed in at 249. However, his 40 time left ALOT to be desired. Not only did his 20lb weight gain cost him what made him elite but he still looked small compared the the likes of Orakpo, Brown, English, Sidbury, etc all who ran better times.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Maybin is still an elite prospect because of his time over 10 yards, not 40.

If I were interested in Maybin as a prospect, I wouldn't get bent out of shape over his 40. I thought he would run a high 4.6, but regardless, the kid still looks fluid and cat quick, too fast off the edge for most OTs.

Someone needs to go check what Julius Peppers ran in the forty at his Indy combine, ( in the 4.8s) then decide if Maybin's 40 time is a deal killer.

I didn't know he was 20 years old!!! To me that solidifies his selection in the 1st round.

Can you imagine what he's gonna be in 4 years?

Michigan
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Maybin is still an elite prospect because of his time over 10 yards, not 40.

If I were interested in Maybin as a prospect, I wouldn't get bent out of shape over his 40. I thought he would run a high 4.6, but regardless, the kid still looks fluid and cat quick, too fast off the edge for most OTs.

Someone needs to go check what Julius Peppers ran in the forty at his Indy combine, ( in the 4.8s) then decide if Maybin's 40 time is a deal killer.

I didn't know he was 20 years old!!! To me that solidifies his selection in the 1st round.

Peppers ran a 4.68.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Peppers ran a 4.68.

and is 5 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 03:19 PM

The only thing you can definitively say he's going to be in 4 years is 24 years old. Yes, his 10 yard speed is important but if you're comparing other prospects then you have to be at least somewhat concerned that not only is he smaller and less experienced but slower. Do I think his 40 time means he won't be a great player? No. He very well might be. But the questions are there and they seem legit.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
and is 5 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier.

One guy is a DE the other is going to have to switch to LB. Maybin is starting to look like a 2nd rounder but in 2 or 3 years he could be a good one. Not now.

SenorGato
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
A 4.73 is a disappointing 40?

Babylon
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM

I had him at 4.79 twice and one site has him in the 4.8s. Good vertical though at 38 and broadjump at 10.4 which shows explosion. I think where everyone was expecting he would play OLB and also expected a 4.5, 4.6 40 yeah i think it's dissapointing.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Not on the surface. But it is disappointing when you consider that it was slower than the 40's posted by the other top undersized DE's.

SenorGato
02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Not on the surface. But it is disappointing when you consider that it was slower than the 40's posted by the other top undersized DE's.

Not significantly slower.

I agree with the guy who said the first 10 yards is more important for him.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 03:57 PM

I like how the 40 means nothing when it doesnt turn out well and is the gospel when it does.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM

The first 10 is more important to all of those guys. All I'm saying is speed was what was supposed to seperate Maybin. His combine numbers don't corraborate that assumption. As I've said before, these are just Combine numbers which don't tell you anything about a football players future success. But the fact that Aaron Maybin ran a slower 40 (even if only slightly) than many of his group is not just surprising but disappointing.

Scott Wright
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
The first 10 is more important to all of those guys. All I'm saying is speed was what was supposed to seperate Maybin. His combine numbers don't corraborate that assumption. As I've said before, these are just Combine numbers which don't tell you anything about a football players future success. But the fact that Aaron Maybin ran a slower 40 (even if only slightly) than many of his group is not just surprising but disappointing.

Maybin was did not run better than a 4.87 officially.

Undersized, slow and inexperienced is not a good combination.

On the positive side he did look good in the drills.

I feel very good about where I had him rated as a late first rounder.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Maybin was did not run better than a 4.87 officially.

Undersized, slow and inexperienced is not a good combination.

On the positive side he did look good in the drills.

I feel very good about where I had him rated as a late first rounder.

I've been saying that and then some, coming from you it sounds better.

Jakey
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I like to look at measurables, but allot of the time they can be overrated. Be it in a 4-3 or 3-4 i think Maybin will be starting in a year or two, and will be productive in any system. I know this is a really poor comparison, but at 6' 245lbs and probably runs about 4.9...James Harrison has been pretty succesfull. And he plays a fair few downs with his hand on the ground. Maybin will be just fine. I say a solid mid to late 1st rounder.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I like to look at measurables, but allot of the time they can be overrated. Be it in a 4-3 or 3-4 i think Maybin will be starting in a year or two, and will be productive in any system. I know this is a really poor comparison, but at 6' 245lbs and probably runs about 4.9...James Harrison has been pretty succesfull. And he plays a fair few downs with his hand on the ground. Maybin will be just fine. I say a solid mid to late 1st rounder.

I agree that potential is definitely there but the problem with your comparison is that James Harrison was an undrafted ILB out of Kent St and has transformed himself into a dominant force in the NFL by using an array of pass rush techniques and tremendous strength. Maybin had success at the college level with speed and explosiveness.

Jakey
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree that potential is definitely there but the problem with your comparison is that James Harrison was an undrafted ILB out of Kent St and has transformed himself into a dominant force in the NFL by using an array of pass rush techniques and tremendous strength. Maybin had success at the college level with speed and explosiveness.

Lol yeah good point. I was just trying to prove that measurables dont always define a player. Im sure Maybin will still play with the same speed on the field.

underscore
02-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Maybin did well in the other drills, though

Dirkman
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
MAybin will be fine, he might not have long end speed, but his explosiveness and burst off the line is phenomenal. 40 yard dashes aren't really telling of the explosiveness of a defensive lineman.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Maybin did well in the other drills, though

Compared to the DL group he looked good with a 10.4 jump and a 38 inch vert. but compared to the LBs his speed is down the list and we dont know about how he is going to do in space. I think he's looking at an early 2nd round call right now.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Peppers ran a 4.68.

That was Peppers time at his pro day at North Carolina, optimum conditions for him to perform and he was timed with a stopwatch.

At the pro combine in Indy in 2002, Peppers ran in the range of 4.88, very similar to Maybin.

I expect Maybin to significantly improve on his time at Penn State's Pro Day and solidify a spot in the first round.

Hokie_Pokie08
02-23-2009, 07:16 PM
That was Peppers time at his pro day at North Carolina, optimum conditions for him to perform and he was timed with a stopwatch.

At the pro combine in Indy in 2002, Peppers ran a in the range of 4.88, very similar to Maybin.

I expect Maybin to significantly improve on his time at Penn State's Pro Day and solidify a spot in the first round.

Peppers was also 40 lbs heavier than Maybin.

keylime_5
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Lol yeah good point. I was just trying to prove that measurables dont always define a player. Im sure Maybin will still play with the same speed on the field.

Terrell Suggs ran a 4.84 at his pro day, there ya go. That time cost him dearly too, he slid all the way to 10th overall despite a 20+ sack season and film that proved he is quite athletic.

ThePudge
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
By most accounts, Maybin had himself a hell of a day. I watched Maybin in the drills and a couple agility drills and I must ask why people are putting so much weight into his 40? He came in at 6'3 3/4 250, larger than most expected, with long 35 1/4 inch arms (over two inches longer than Orakpo/Brown). He looks fluid athletically, really only struggling in the 40 yard dash, which in a lot of cases is a matter of practice and teaching. I expect a low 4.7 by his Pro Day.

Take his 40 yard dash out of the picture and you're talking about one of the day's biggest winners. I think scouts saw what they wanted to see from Maybin at the Combine other than his 40 and Bench Press. Still a fluid athlete, still has an elite first step as a pass rusher, and shows the frame to add weight and muscle mass. I think the talk of Aaron Maybin sliding may be a bit off.

keylime_5
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Definitely, I think Maybin is solidly in the top 20, especially with the demand for top pass rushers in the first round. He had a good combine aside from the 40, and has tons of potential with his frame and first step. I think by running a bad 40 he missed an oppurtunity to move up towards the top 10. I think teams might look for Brown or Orakpo as safer picks with really high ceilings in their own rights.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm truly not trying to be argumentative about Maybin's "frame". I'm trying to understand why so many are so certain that he "has a frame to put on weight". What I saw on the field today, regardless of weight was a guy that had a slight frame compared to the majority of competitors he is compared to (Orakpo, Brown, English, Sidbury, etc). Isn't it just as feasible that he has a small frame which will make it extremely difficult for him to add mass as it is possible that his frame will allow him to gain weight?

Honestly, from a physiological perspective...anyone have any insight?

wogitalia
02-24-2009, 03:03 AM
Maybin really helped himself in my eyes and if he falls because of his 40 time it just reinforces why teams picking earlier than about 15 are picking earlier than 15...

He showed excellent explosiveness and in my opinion he came in at a great size. He is the kind of lanky pass rusher that any team running a cover 2 should be looking at long and hard, he has the feel of an elite pass rusher to me, I would love him on the Vikings, if he fell to the 2nd they should be moving up straight away and they should look long and hard in the first.

Just my opinion though, I think that a few of the better prospects in this draft are falling for the wrong reasons, Andre Smith and Maybin are both shaping up as the steals of the draft if they really do fall, you can throw Moreno in that group as well.

The combine is just about the most dangerous time for teams evaluating talent. It seems to cause teams to drop certain players and raise others and basically it somehow trumps all the footage and common sense in relation to players, I reckon you could certainly see a relationship between the teams that are perennially good with those who all but ignore the combine. Just off the top of my head I can think of Woodley at Pittsburgh, Boldin at Arizona and Kenny Phillips with the Giants who have been great contributors who all fell in large part because of the combine.

Mr. Stiller
02-24-2009, 04:22 AM

Timmons is the main backup at all 4 LB positions right now with being the #1 Nickel LB.

He's also played in a Hybrid 3-4 LB/S role covering the 3rd WR and TE's.

He should eventually be the RILB in replacing Larry Foote. The main reason he hasn't done it yet is because he's literally the only capable LB Depth we have.

He doesn't have the power to standup at OLB and rush every other play...

But they do bring him at OLB often at the end of games allowing him to blitz off the edge with Tired OT's who can't keep up with his explosive pace.

Mr. Stiller
02-24-2009, 04:24 AM
This is Bruce Davis all over again.

Two undersized guys heard they needed to be 250+ Lbs to get realistic NFL offers, bulk up quick, losing their explosiveness and long term speed. Get drafted where they should have, then lose the "Overweight" for their position and regain back better weight.

Babylon
02-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Maybin really helped himself in my eyes and if he falls because of his 40 time it just reinforces why teams picking earlier than about 15 are picking earlier than 15...

He showed excellent explosiveness and in my opinion he came in at a great size. He is the kind of lanky pass rusher that any team running a cover 2 should be looking at long and hard, he has the feel of an elite pass rusher to me, I would love him on the Vikings, if he fell to the 2nd they should be moving up straight away and they should look long and hard in the first.

Just my opinion though, I think that a few of the better prospects in this draft are falling for the wrong reasons, Andre Smith and Maybin are both shaping up as the steals of the draft if they really do fall, you can throw Moreno in that group as well.

The combine is just about the most dangerous time for teams evaluating talent. It seems to cause teams to drop certain players and raise others and basically it somehow trumps all the footage and common sense in relation to players, I reckon you could certainly see a relationship between the teams that are perennially good with those who all but ignore the combine. Just off the top of my head I can think of Woodley at Pittsburgh, Boldin at Arizona and Kenny Phillips with the Giants who have been great contributors who all fell in large part because of the combine.

So the whole premise of your argument is that guys cant move down and therefore others cant move up. I wish someone would have told me this i wouldnt have spent so many hours of my day watching guys run around the field in Indy.