PDA

View Full Version : Lydon Murtha T/Nebraska

ToldLikeItIs
02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Highly impressive showing thus far at the combine.

6'7 306
7.05 cone
25 reps
35 inch vert
4.89 forty

One of the best offensive lineman athlete's in the last ten years? If not #1?
Jamon Meredith looks to be a very good athlete as well.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 03:24 PM

6'7 306
7.05 cone
25 reps
35 inch vert
4.89 forty

Jamon Meredith looks to be a very good athlete as well.

He was quite the player out of highschool, what happened at Nebraska?

CashmoneyDrew
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I remember seeing an early 2009 mock draft last year that had the Titans taking him in the top half of round one. What a ******* joke. We don't even need an OT.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I remember seeing an early 2009 mock draft last year that had the Titans taking him in the top half of round one. What a ******* joke. We don't even need an OT.

That's sort of off topic, i'm wondering if the guy is anywhere near as good as his combine numbers.

CashmoneyDrew
02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
That's sort of off topic, i'm wondering if the guy is anywhere near as good as his combine numbers.

Yeah I know. That's the only time Lydon Murtha has impacted my life though so that's all I really had to add. I'm done in this thread now. lol

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 03:35 PM
I think if he finds a home in one of the ZBS, he could develop. But he honestly just plays so soft, it would be hard for him to be in most schemes.

PACKmanN
02-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I think his height may not allow ZBS teams to take him. I know the Packers don't like their linemen to be taller then 6'4 because of leverage.

JLaw45
02-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I remember a poster talking about him earlier in the year in another thread. They said that he was a ridiculous athlete and that he'd test well but that he played softly and was kind of a jerk.

sporzy
02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
He's had injury problems and never played anywhere near the level these numbers suggest. I'm a diehard Nebraska fan, and I'd be hard pressed to draft him before the 5th round. Those are some real good numbers, though. Too bad he's been so...mediocre?...at Nebraska.

JRTPlaya21
02-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Late rounder to UDFA pretty much sums it up.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I think his height may not allow ZBS teams to take him. I know the Packers don't like their linemen to be taller then 6'4 because of leverage.

That is a good point, which also may stop him from fitting well anywhere.

coordinator0
02-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Perfect TE for the Ravens unbalanced lines lol. As long as he's only in on run plays...

Chio151
02-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Then why did they draft a 6-7 guy last year?

It's not just about height if you have the ability to bend.

bwillie26
02-21-2009, 05:17 PM
As I said in another thread -- looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He's more worried about looking good than actually playing football. At one point in his career the coaches asked him to put on weight (that he could obviously easily carry) and he refused because he did not want to lose his abs. Yeah, the kid has a six pack even at his enormous size.

Even though he is athletic, he only had success at RT in his college career. He started his college career at LT and looked like a complete bust. Moved to RT during his sophomore year and had success, albeit limited. He at least looked like a player there. Attempted to move back to LT this past spring and was absolutely owned there the entire time before moving back. Got hurt and missed a good bit of his senior season.

Unless he gets over his pretty boy attitude and develops a bit of a mean streak, he will never be more that backup material.

Now Matt Slauson may be the man to lookout for on the Nebraska line. Dude is a mauler. Just need to watch his weight because he has ballooned up to 350+ in the past.

ToldLikeItIs
02-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Murtha could easily weigh 335 and still run under a 5.0 flat. I bet he barely trained for the combine as is. I think he's the most athletic lineman I've seen in recent memory, and that includes Joe Thomas and Staley.

sporzy
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
As I said in another thread -- looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He's more worried about looking good than actually playing football. At one point in his career the coaches asked him to put on weight (that he could obviously easily carry) and he refused because he did not want to lose his abs. Yeah, the kid has a six pack even at his enormous size.

Even though he is athletic, he only had success at RT in his college career. He started his college career at LT and looked like a complete bust. Moved to RT during his sophomore year and had success, albeit limited. He at least looked like a player there. Attempted to move back to LT this past spring and was absolutely owned there the entire time before moving back. Got hurt and missed a good bit of his senior season.

Unless he gets over his pretty boy attitude and develops a bit of a mean streak, he will never be more that backup material.

Now Matt Slauson may be the man to lookout for on the Nebraska line. Dude is a mauler. Just need to watch his weight because he has ballooned up to 350+ in the past.

I agree, Slauson would be a heck of a RG for someone in a run-oriented system. Are you listening Angelo?

Iamcanadian
02-21-2009, 10:40 PM
He is a good athlete, unfortunately his hips and lateral movement don't match the same quality as his other athletic abilities. He'll be a mid-rounder.

Solomon
02-22-2009, 01:50 AM

6'7 306
7.05 cone
25 reps
35 inch vert
4.89 forty

Jeremy Zuttah: 6-3, 303 lbs at the combine. 35 reps and a 4.99 40.
Joe Thomas: 6-7, 311 lbs. 28 reps and a 4.92 40. 33 inch vertical.
Winston Justice: 6-6, 319 lbs. 35 inch vert, 4.54 20 yards shuttle. At his pro day ran his 40 in 5.16 secs, put up 38 reps and had a 39 inch vert.
Jason Peters: 6-5, 328 lbs. 4.92 40, 29 inch vert and a broad jump of 9 feet and seven inches.
Chris Chester: 6-3, 303 lbs. 4.83 40, 27 reps and 31.5 inch vert.

Those are the best athletic performances I can remember from linemen in recent memory and you're absolutely correct. Murtha definitly belongs in that group.

Iamcanadian
02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Jeremy Zuttah: 6-3, 303 lbs at the combine. 35 reps and a 4.99 40.
Joe Thomas: 6-7, 311 lbs. 28 reps and a 4.92 40. 33 inch vertical.
Winston Justice: 6-6, 319 lbs. 35 inch vert, 4.54 20 yards shuttle. At his pro day ran his 40 in 5.16 secs, put up 38 reps and had a 39 inch vert.
Jason Peters: 6-5, 328 lbs. 4.92 40, 29 inch vert and a broad jump of 9 feet and seven inches.
Chris Chester: 6-3, 303 lbs. 4.83 40, 27 reps and 31.5 inch vert.

Those are the best athletic performances I can remember from linemen in recent memory and you're absolutely correct. Murtha definitly belongs in that group.

Unfortunately Murtha is an enigma who lacks the toughness needed to be a pro. He could barely earn a starting spot at Nebraska and was moved around and benched repeatedly. He is what people describe as a workout wonder but his lack of toughness will be telling at the next level.

energizerbunny
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
He is a right tackle only, he isn't a natural lineman.... he doesnt have a wide enough base to be successful in the nfl.

Don't get turned on too much by his numbers in shorts, everyone knew he was going to test well.

ChiefMojo
02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I remember Murtha coming out of high school (from Minnesota) and the kid was about the best thing out there. He had a so-so career at Nebraska, but never at the level everyone expected him to play at. I've heard the pretty boy label with him before as well. The kid has the frame, athletic ability, etc. to be a absolute BEAST of a OT if he put in the needed effort. Mid-round guy that could be a absolute steal if the light comes on.