PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jones

nyjets5125
03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
saw it on espn that jets traded for thomas jones, than read in another forum it was our 1st 2nd rounder (37) for jones and their second rounder (63)

JETS5128
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Not a bad trade at all , even though i would've liked to hold on to #37, Jones is still a quality back and can carry the load despite him not being a traditional workhorse

josh07039
03-05-2007, 05:56 PM
i dont really want a 28 yr old rb,but whatever nothing i can do.

JETS5128
Not a bad trade at all, even though i would have liked to hold on to #37, Jones can carry the load and has been very productive over the pat 3-4 seasons

princefielder28
Not bad because the Jets picked up a starting back for 2 or 3 years and moved down 20 some spots in the draft; better then signing a back like Ahman green for four years at 23 mil

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
They'll need to sign him to a new deal for that to happen. Jones only has one year left on his contract, and I would guess he's going to make at least Ahman Green money.

To be completely honest, I think we got the better end of this deal, but I don't think it's a bad deal for the Jets at all. Jones is an underated back and he will consistantly get you 1,000 yards. Assuming they can sign him to a new contract I think it's worth a high 3rd to have a good starting runningback for the next 4-5 years.

Not to mention that Jones keeps himself in tremendous shape. He will last longer than most backs, especially because he split time in every place he's been.

Since we won't face the Jets for 3 years I wish Jones all the best of luck. I always liked him a lot as a player and I'm glad to see him get to continue his career as a starter.

Gang Green
03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I really like this deal, even though I was looking forward to that high 2nd round pick. Jones is a proven runner and Leon should compliment him nicely. I am more than happy with the deal.

Scorch
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
This is a great trade for us. Thomas Jones is a great running back. He'll last until at least 32 and hopefully Leon Washington might be able to improve by then.

nyjets5125
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I really like this deal, even though I was looking forward to that high 2nd round pick. Jones is a proven runner and Leon should compliment him nicely. I am more than happy with the deal.
agreed with all 3 points. great deal, i would have liked to pick at 37 but i like this scenario better, jones-leon will be a great power-size and veteran-young combo.

BroadwayJoe10
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
i too was really looking forward to the #37 pick, however for a guy thats a very young 28 (only has 200 carries in a season i think 3 times) i dont mind giving up a high 3rd for him...i think thats what 37 - 63 comes about to...i think this just pushes us more towards trading down from the #25 pick to get another high 2nd and another pick...unless theres someone we def want at the 25th pick..regardless definately a good deal for the jets

Geo
03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Excellent trade by the Jets, as long as they sign him long-term.

Keep in mind:

(1) Thomas Jones didn't carry as much of a load on his body and legs earlier in his career, in Arizona and then Tampa Bay, as he did in Chicago. He's got quite a bit of game left in him.

(2) When the Kellen Clemens era begins, the young quarterback will have an experienced veteran behind him to support him. Jones has proven he can play in this league at a very good level, both inside and outside the tackles, and as a receiving threat.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 07:45 PM
According to the Bears website the deal is dependent upon Jones passing a physical and siging a new deal. I figured that there was no way they would sign for him with just a year left.

It should be interesting how much cash he gets with the deal Ahman Green just signed.

JETS5128
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
According to the Bears website the deal is dependent upon Jones passing a physical and siging a new deal. I figured that there was no way they would sign for him with just a year left.

It should be interesting how much cash he gets with the deal Ahman Green just signed.

Hopefully not Lee Suggs V2

BroadwayJoe10
03-05-2007, 08:54 PM
i would be 100% absolutely shocked if TJ did not pass his physical, he takes pride in keeping himself in peak fitness...plus now we get a back with cool initials to replace his name like yo did you see TJ and the jets roll over the fish this weekend or my man TJ dropped 120 and 2tds on the pats haha all i know is i hope now we can find someone to block the hell outta adalius thomas when we play the pats

jetsfan3
03-05-2007, 09:25 PM
This is a great trade for us. Thomas Jones is a great running back. He'll last until at least 32 and hopefully Leon Washington might be able to improve by then.

Or we are able to draft a feature runner.

frogstomp
03-05-2007, 09:30 PM
This is a great deal for us.

We *needed* a RB. There wouldn't be anything for us to draft, and we got a *guaranteed* 3 year starter for third round value. I don't see how that's bad, no matter how you look at it.

Plus, Jones is used to a team with a mediocre passing attack, and having to carry the team on his back.

nyjets5125
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
plus, even though hes 28, he hasnt carried the load by himself once in his career, limiting the hits he has taken, and the damage he has done to his body....im not worried about the physical (knock on wood), i just hope we can sign him to the long-term deal we are tryign to sign him to

Non_Sequitur
03-06-2007, 05:02 AM
For everyone complaining about moving down 20 spots, remember that a good deal is only a good deal if both sides feel the lost something.

The Bears lost what has been the better half of their 1-2 punch.

The Jets lost 20 places in the 2nd round (a high 3rd round value).

But the Jets got a sure-thing for the next 3 years while we set the rest of the team. Get a couple more young offensive linemen. Get a playmaking tight end. Give Kellen a couple years to develope.

This team is going to be in the playoffs more than likely this year, all things considered. And they are playoff contenders for the next 3 years. And as long as we keep going the way we are going, and add in Coles' replacement in at some point, keep our young talent, etc. There is no reason the Jets can't be a team that contends year in and year out for the the next decade.

Johnny4
03-06-2007, 05:07 AM
It's a good deal that can become great if we now package our 2 low #2's and move back up to the top of the 2nd round if there is a player that we want that is still available. The Draft value chart works in our favor in the 2nd round.

nyjetsguy27
03-06-2007, 07:52 AM
greatest trade in the history of mankind. all we had to do was downgrade in round 2, and we got a great RB to complement leon. ive been crying for us to take tony hunt for months in round 2, but jones is even better than that

BroadwayJoe10
03-06-2007, 10:57 AM
and its not really a huge deal but the fact that hes used to playing in the cold is another thing that only plays in our favor...like a said not a huge deal but something that we dont even have to worry about

BroadwayJoe10
03-06-2007, 02:59 PM
"The Bears backfield torch officially was handed to Cedric Benson Tuesday when fellow running back Thomas Jones passed a physical and agreed to a long-term contract extension with the New York Jets." - from the chicago bears webpage

now all i need is for nyjets.com to say this and then i can finally be happy

derza222
03-06-2007, 03:01 PM
This trade worked out pretty nicely for us I think. Although it probably means no Leonard which I think is disappointing for a few people on this board including myself, it should help out the team. Most importantly, we still have the same amount of picks we had before the trade, and still 4 day 1 picks including two second rounders. We also will have a good solid back for another 3-4 years and can bring in a good young back when somebody comes out to groom him for the starting spot. This gives us great flexibility in our next few drafts (not including this year, and probably not next either), because we'll have a 2-3 year period where if there's a good back on the board we can take him and stash him for the future and if not it isn't a need. Plus everything aside Jones will really help our offense and is a versatile back who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Very nice deal IMO. Now I just wonder what he gets paid.

nyjets5125
03-06-2007, 04:31 PM
"The Bears backfield torch officially was handed to Cedric Benson Tuesday when fellow running back Thomas Jones passed a physical and agreed to a long-term contract extension with the New York Jets." - from the chicago bears webpage

now all i need is for nyjets.com to say this and then i can finally be happy

and now you can be happy......http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/jets-acquire-rb-thomas-jones-from-bears