PDA

View Full Version : Right tackles in the 1st round

MenOfTroy
02-21-2009, 07:22 PM
In terms of getting value for your draft pick, what do you guys think about taking a right tackle in the 1st round, or even in the top-15?

Do you agree that there are enough RT prospects later on in the draft, making it less advisable to take one early on, or do you simply take a RT in the 1st if you like him?

Jakey
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Jeff Otah/Gosder Cherilus last year shows that the RT position is a valuable position...the boost the Panthers got in the run game last year had allot to do with Otah manning the right side. If Loadholt was still there at the end of the 1st, i certainly wouldnt be apposed to the Steelers picking him. Would give a major boost in the run game...and has potential to man the left side too.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think you can take one Top 5, or probably even Top 10. Past that, you get a player who would really play well, no matter the spot.

phlysac
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Starting RIGHT Tackles in the NFL currently...

BUFFALO BILLS - Langston Walker (2nd Round 53rd Overall)
MIAMI DOLPHINS - Vernon Carey (1st Round 19th Overall)
NEW YORK JETS - Damien Woody (1st Round 17th Overall)
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Nick Kaczur (3rd Round 100th Overall)

BALTIMORE RAVENS - Willie Anderson (1st Round 10th Overall)
CINCINNATI BENGALS - Stacy Andrews (4th Round 123rd Overall)
CLEVELAND BROWNS - Kevin Shaffer (7th Round 244th Overall)
PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Willie Colon (4th Round 131st Overall)

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - Ryan Diem (4th Round 118th Overall)
HOUSTON TEXANS - Eric Winston (3rd Round 66th Overall)
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Tony Pashos (5th Round 173rd Overall)
TENNESSEE TITANS - David Stewart (4th Round 113th Overall)

DENVER BRONCOS - Ryan Harris (3rd Round 70th Overall)
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - Damion McIntosh (3rd Round 83rd Overall)
OAKLAND RAIDERS - Cornell Green (UDFA)
SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Jeromey Clary (6th Round 187th Overall)

DALLAS COWBOYS - Marc Colombo (1st Round 29th Overall)
NEW YORK GIANTS - Kareem McKenzie (3rd Round 79th Overall)
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - Jon Runyan (4th Round 109th Overall)
WASHINGTON REDSKINS - Stephon Heyer (UDFA)

CHICAGO BEARS - John Tait (1st Round 14th Overall)
DETROIT LIONS - Gosder Cherilus (1st Round 17th Overall)
GREEN BAY PACKERS - Mark Tauscher (7th Round 224th Overall)
MINNESOTA VIKINGS - Ryan Cook (2nd Round 51st Overall)

ATLANTA FALCONS - Tyson Clabo (UDFA)
CAROLINA PANTHERS - Jeff Otah (1st Round 19th Overall)
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - Jon Stinchcomb (2nd Round 37th Overall)
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - Jeremy Trueblood (2nd Round 59th Overall)

ARIZONA CARDINALS - Levi Brown (1st Round 5th Overall)
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS - Barry Sims (UDFA)
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - Sean Locklear (3rd Round 84th Overall)
ST. LOUIS RAMS - Alex Barron (1st Round 19th Overall)

Crickett
02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
If there is a right tackle good enough to be taken in the first round and a team needs one, why not?

Iamcanadian
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Starting RIGHT Tackles in the NFL currently...

BUFFALO BILLS - Langston Walker (2nd Round 53rd Overall)
MIAMI DOLPHINS - Vernon Carey (1st Round 19th Overall)
NEW YORK JETS - Damien Woody (1st Round 17th Overall) --drafted as an OC
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Nick Kaczur (3rd Round 100th Overall)

BALTIMORE RAVENS - Willie Anderson (1st Round 10th Overall) Drafted to play LT
CINCINNATI BENGALS - Stacy Andrews (4th Round 123rd Overall)
CLEVELAND BROWNS - Kevin Shaffer (7th Round 244th Overall)
PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Willie Colon (4th Round 131st Overall)

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - Ryan Diem (4th Round 118th Overall)
HOUSTON TEXANS - Eric Winston (3rd Round 66th Overall)
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Tony Pashos (5th Round 173rd Overall)
TENNESSEE TITANS - David Stewart (4th Round 113th Overall)

DENVER BRONCOS - Ryan Harris (3rd Round 70th Overall)
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - Damion McIntosh (3rd Round 83rd Overall)
OAKLAND RAIDERS - Cornell Green (UDFA)
SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Jeromey Clary (6th Round 187th Overall)

DALLAS COWBOYS - Marc Colombo (1st Round 29th Overall)
NEW YORK GIANTS - Kareem McKenzie (3rd Round 79th Overall)
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - Jon Runyan (4th Round 109th Overall)
WASHINGTON REDSKINS - Stephon Heyer (UDFA)

CHICAGO BEARS - John Tait (1st Round 14th Overall) Drafted to play LT
DETROIT LIONS - Gosder Cherilus (1st Round 17th Overall)
GREEN BAY PACKERS - Mark Tauscher (7th Round 224th Overall)
MINNESOTA VIKINGS - Ryan Cook (2nd Round 51st Overall)

ATLANTA FALCONS - Tyson Clabo (UDFA)
CAROLINA PANTHERS - Jeff Otah (1st Round 19th Overall)
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - Jon Stinchcomb (2nd Round 37th Overall)
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - Jeremy Trueblood (2nd Round 59th Overall)

ARIZONA CARDINALS - Levi Brown (1st Round 5th Overall) Drafted to play RT to protect Leinart's blind side, Leinart being a lefty.
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS - Barry Sims (UDFA)
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - Sean Locklear (3rd Round 84th Overall)
ST. LOUIS RAMS - Alex Barron (1st Round 19th Overall)

Most of the RT's drafted in round 1 were drafted to play LT and ended up at RT because they weren't good enough for the LT position. Generally teams will draft a top RT in the late teens or later if they think he is talented enough but obviously most teams perfer to wait past round 1 to find their RT.

phlysac
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Most of the RT's drafted in round 1 were drafted to play LT and ended up at RT because they weren't good enough for the LT position. Generally teams will draft a top RT in the late teens or later if they think he is talented enough but obviously most teams perfer to wait past round 1 to find their RT.

I completely agree but have been fighting an uphill battle in that argument. Especially being a 49er fan and my skepticism of drafting a RT at #10.

Iamcanadian
02-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I completely agree but have been fighting an uphill battle in that argument. Especially being a 49er fan and my skepticism of drafting a RT at #10.

Anybody who thinks San Fran will draft a RT at #10 is ridiculous. He'd have to be drafted to play LT and then turnout to be a flop as a LT and have to be moved to RT.
If your talking about Andre Smith, I'd say there is a good chance he ends up as an elite LT and that is why San Fran drafts him at #10. You may not like him but your team may love him as a LT.

MenOfTroy
02-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I'd be a little bit wary of taking a RT that high... top 10, top 15, I think that's pushing it. A guy like Andre Smith could be really good, but when there are guys that you can plug in at RT in the later rounds, I'm not sure it's the best bang for a pick that high in the 1st.

toonsterwu
02-22-2009, 04:07 PM
My own take is that I wouldn't draft a RT in the top half of the first round unless I didn't have any other major concerns. That said, mid-late first, I'd be much more open to it.

THav916
02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
My own take is that I wouldn't draft a RT in the top half of the first round unless I didn't have any other major concerns. That said, mid-late first, I'd be much more open to it.

I agree. I think the Steelers are a good example of a team that could. If Beatty or Britton is available there, they'd be worth a selection. If not, or if some other players ranked high on their board is available, then they shouldn't reach for a RT just because.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Personally, I think the gap in value between the left and right tackle is a little exagerated by some. That said, the gap in cost should be recognized and a lot of teams don't want to pay blindside blocker money for a non-blinside tackle.

If I needed a right tackle badly and I already had a left tackle and there was an offensive lineman who fit the position really well, I would take him inside the 6-15 range.

Matthew Jones
02-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I'd be a little bit wary of taking a RT that high... top 10, top 15, I think that's pushing it. A guy like Andre Smith could be really good, but when there are guys that you can plug in at RT in the later rounds, I'm not sure it's the best bang for a pick that high in the 1st.

I am not opposed to drafting a right tackle in the top ten if I think he's a dominant NFL player. The gap in left and right tackle isn't really huge in theNFL like some people say it is, mostly because teams are adding in both more and better pass rushers. Teams like the Giants (Osi/Tuck), Colts (Mathis/Freeney), and Steelers (Woodley/Harrison) come at you from both sides and you can't really just plug in anyone and expect to block a Justin Tuck or a Dwight Freeney. Anyone who wants to plug in any old right tackle and risk getting their quarterback blasted by LaMarr Woodley is taking a huge risk in my opinion.

Menardo75
02-22-2009, 07:22 PM
If an elite tackle falls into your lap in the top ten you would be crazy not to take him unless you have a much much greater need. If Andre Smill fell to San Fran I really hope they take him imo a pro-bowler at any spot on the line.

irishbucsfan
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I've never quite understood this, but why isn't an offensive line, or at least the tackles, symmetrical? The whole, put your mauler at RT and pass pro guy at LT doesn't make sense. Surely the DC would just say, ok strong 'LE', we're putting you at RE to go against the weaker tackle, just run through him, and ok fast/quick 'RE', we're putting you at LE to go against the slower stronger tackle, just run around him.

phlysac
02-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I've never quite understood this, but why isn't an offensive line, or at least the tackles, symmetrical? The whole, put your mauler at RT and pass pro guy at LT doesn't make sense. Surely the DC would just say, ok strong 'LE', we're putting you at RE to go against the weaker tackle, just run through him, and ok fast/quick 'RE', we're putting you at LE to go against the slower stronger tackle, just run around him.

Blindside protection.

irishbucsfan
02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Blindside protection.

Ok so why don't DCs switch up their DEs to take advantage of this?

Paranoidmoonduck
02-22-2009, 11:10 PM

A lot do. And that's why I think the importance of left over right tackle is a bit overinflated these days.

And it really doesn't have to do with blindside protection (although that is a big part of keeping a quarterback's comfort level on solid footing) so much as the fact that a right tackle is much more likely to get blocking help from a tight end.

Dirkman
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM

You can't do that with consistency. IF a Defensive Coordinator has his fastest rusher coming from the side where the QB can SEE him every play , then it defeats the purpose of having a speed rusher there as teh Quarterback can react quicker and get rid of the ball and avoid the sack if the rusher gets too hot . There's a reason why the speed rushers are lined up on the QB's blindside consistently.Makes no sense to have your fastest guy in a position where the QB can see his ass.