PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Lions AKA Vikings 2003???

JetSetFred
02-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Due to it not being a clear cut No. 1 prospect, and I don't believe the Lions will find a trade partner. Could the Lions pull a 2003 Vikings draft, by letting the Clock run out and letting the Rams pick 1st?? I believe the Lions are eyeing a LT, but is Monroe or Jason Smith worth #1 Money? If the Lions skip picks and say pick 3rd overall and select a Dropped Stafford, One of the Lt's or, Curry. would they still have to pay their draft pick #1 money? Just Curious? You know it's a bad economical situation right now in the world.. :)

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Nope. Simply put, ANY prospect they pick will fight for #1 money since they went to the team with the #1 pick.

Add onto the fact that the Lions will try and negotiate this contract before the draft even starts to be sure they get the guy in camp, the clock running down is near impossible.

PACKmanN
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I doubt the Vikings let the time run out for 3 or so straight picks.

Halsey
02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
The Lions have an easy decision to make. Unless they get a viable trade offer, take Stafford. The trade options are pretty limited, so they will just be taking Stafford.

Babylon
02-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Matt Ryan pretty much got #1 pick money so i would think Stafford would want the same. I could see Stafford's agent now dealing with Detroit after that as in we arent signing with the Lions.

jnew76
02-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I think the Lions will have their first 2 picks made come Draft day. #1 - Jason Smith #20 Matt Cassel...

keylime_5
02-21-2009, 08:11 PM
If they don't get a guy like Cassel before the draft, they would be nuts to not take Stafford. And if they got a QB before the draft they would be nuts to not take the top OT, b/c if they let time expire you can bet your bottom dollar StLouis would run up to the podium with their pick - which would be a tackle. It makes no sense, pay a little bit less (but still a gigantic contract) for a guy who is probably #2 or #3 on their board?

Halsey
02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Matt Ryan pretty much got #1 pick money so i would think Stafford would want the same. I could see Stafford's agent now dealing with Detroit after that as in we arent signing with the Lions.

Ryan and Stafford's agent are one in the same. I imagine Stafford knows well that Ryan signed quickly and never missed a day of work. Stafford has shown no signs that he wouldn't sign with Detroit.

FrankGore
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
The Lions can't afford yet another PR disaster. This team will have whoever (probably Stafford) signed before the day of the draft.

phlysac
02-21-2009, 08:32 PM
This same chatter was happening regarding the Dolphins last season.

wogitalia
02-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Looking at this draft the Lions would be stupid not to take Stafford at 1. I'm not sold on him as a player, just something about his game just doesn't sit right, but I can certainly respect that he has some serious potential. There is no depth at QB, in Culpepper they have the guy who will give him a season on the pine to get up to snuff(should be the plan anyway), take the best OT available at 20, probably get another OL with their 2nd rounder. This is a team with probably 2 or 3 players that started last year that should still be starting this year(Sims, Smith and Johnson) I think the Lions need to be on a 2 year plan where they will pick up 5 new lineman over the next two years, probably go for a good veteran guard through FA, draft the LT, RT and C and address the other guard with either draft or FA. Stafford shouldn't see the field except for blowouts in his first year.

Something worth noting about the Lions is they play in the NFC North, almost certainly the worst offensive division in the NFL, if the Lions can put together an offense over the next two years that can score, they should be on top of that division, Vikings rely almost exclusively on big plays by Berrian and Peterson to score, Bears rely on Hester and the Packers are an X-Factor, their offense should be better but still has no run game. If the Lions can be a team that can put up 25 or so on any team they will give the NFC North rivals absolute hell because 2 of them struggle to score that without defensive TDs and the other was a bit of a mess last year.

gameplaya2435
02-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Pull a good ole Eli and sign with a real team!

PossibleCabbage
02-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the Vikings didn't do it on purpose, and even if they did, it wouldn't be smart for the Detroit Lions to do that on purpose. Following up the 0-16 season, firing most everybody in the organization, and not firing a couple of (probably incompetent) front office people purely to save money, and with a roster in that sorry shape the Lions really don't need to be more of a laughingstock.

You don't expect the 2009 Lions to compete for the playoffs, but just from the perspective of "building a team", "getting guys to be excited about being a Lion", "getting guys to really buy into what the organization is doing", and "getting guys to really fight to win every game, even when woefully overmatched", the Detroit Lions don't need any more black eyes on the public relations front.

You at the very least expect them to make the #1 pick and take a player that everybody thinks is pretty good, or alternatively trade away that pick for reasonable compensation. They pretty much can't afford to do anything else.

wogitalia
02-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Not making a decision would be worse than blowing the pick to boot. You have leftovers from the Millen disgrace running the show, if they look indecisive then they are going to completely alienate the fan base, I mean if you leave it to another team to make your pick, can you really show any more indecisiveness than that? About the only thing they could do worse than that would be to take another WR in the first...

WCH
02-21-2009, 11:14 PM
The Lions can't afford yet another PR disaster. This team will have whoever (probably Stafford) signed before the day of the draft.

PR disaster? It's the Lions -- they've hit rock bottom. They have sunk so low, that the phrase "PR disaster" no longer has any meaning. If they used the top-pick on ME, and I drove around Ford Field in a Honda Hybrid, then it wouldn't drop their public image any further than it's already sunk.

These guys haven't had a franchise QB since Bobby Layne - most fans have so forgotten what a good QB looks like, that they still swear Joey Harrington was "good, he just needed more time" (I swear to God -- living in Detroit -- I actually hear this multiple times a year).

Those of us fortunate enough to be non-Lions fans, simply cannot think about PR situations in a way which is realistic as it pertains to the Lions -- they make 2008 Al Davis look like 1967 Vince Lombardi.

I am a Packer fan, and I'm actually pulling for them just out of pity. May God be with them.

the_legend_killer
02-22-2009, 03:11 AM
The Lions could only hope to end up with an All-Pro like the Vikings did based on their brilliant 2003 strategy.

russie
02-22-2009, 05:23 AM
The Lions could only hope to end up with an All-Pro like the Vikings did based on their brilliant 2003 strategy.

very true. they missed the time frame in which to pick, but the pick turned out to be the best dt in that draft, and one of the best in league. teamed with pat williams, they have been taking runningbacks lunches for a few years now

Mouse
02-22-2009, 09:48 AM
so far they had dinner with Stafford & Curry, I guess that is some indication where they are leaning

GBahDunka
02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
they also have had dinner with sanchez

PossibleCabbage
02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
They may also be one or more of:
1) Hungry.
2) Covering all their bases.
3) Gracious hosts.

They'll probably end up feeding/interviewing every single player that could plausibly have #1 overall value, just as a CYA move if nothing else. Since the GM really doesn't have to explain how he missed on a first ballot hall of famer because he didn't want to take him out to dinner.

Triumphdog
02-22-2009, 11:17 AM
I say Stafford is by far the easiest option the Lions have to make at number one overall. They need to concentrate more so on the 20th and 33rd pick.

russie
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
the lions are screwed one way or another. not just because they are the lions, but because of what that #1 pick is going to cost. there could be a legitimate first over all tightend with hall of famer written on him, he could be the best prospect to ever come along, and the lions(or any other team picking in the first spot) would be hesitant to pick him because no one wants to pay $70 million to a te

Babylon
02-22-2009, 11:28 AM
the lions are screwed one way or another. not just because they are the lions, but because of what that #1 pick is going to cost. there could be a legitimate first over all tightend with hall of famer written on him, he could be the best prospect to ever come along, and the lions(or any other team picking in the first spot) would be hesitant to pick him because no one wants to pay $70 million to a te

Point is there isnt, maybe next year they'll have a tougher choice, not this year. It's a done deal St. Louis is on the clock.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Could the lions pass up on a first round QB this draft? They have very few starting caliber players on their roster, and are at least one more draft away from not being the worst team in the league again. Would they pass on the QB's this year and take a shot at Sam Bradford next year?

PossibleCabbage
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I say Stafford is by far the easiest option the Lions have to make at number one overall. They need to concentrate more so on the 20th and 33rd pick.

Are you sure they're really neglecting their scouting on 20 and 33? When's the last time you remember a team picking in the 20s or 30s wining and dining potential draft picks? Most of the time you just scout the 20s and 30s guys quietly.

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Could the lions pass up on a first round QB this draft? They have very few starting caliber players on their roster, and are at least one more draft away from not being the worst team in the league again. Would they pass on the QB's this year and take a shot at Sam Bradford next year?

They definitely could take Jason Smith IMO

Babylon
02-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Are you sure they're really neglecting their scouting on 20 and 33? When's the last time you remember a team picking in the 20s or 30s wining and dining potential draft picks? Most of the time you just scout the 20s and 30s guys quietly.

They arent going to show their cards therefore they will show differant guys some love. Something could change with a trade offer but they have to be 90% sure of what they're doing. To me it's a no brainer.

russie
02-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Point is there isnt, maybe next year they'll have a tougher choice, not this year. It's a done deal St. Louis is on the clock.

my point is that since the rookie salaries are out of control, the best player may not be the player taken. can any team explain tabbing a te or a og or even a lb with that first pick costing as much as it's going to?