PDA

View Full Version : Psu Wr Deon Butler

PENNSTATEHOMER
02-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Can someone explain why he is considered such a late rounder?

-5'11...lots of 5'11 WRs in the NFL
-PSU CAREER RECEPTIONS LEADER...OVER GUYS SUCH AS JOE JUREVICIOUS, BRYANT JOHNSON, O.J. MCDUFFIE, BOBBY ENGRAM...ETC.
-WEIGHED IN AT 182 POUNDS, DON'T BELIEVE MOST EXPECTED THAT...PROBABLY EXPECTED 170 SOMETHING
-RAN A 4.26 UNOFFICIAL (4.29 OFFICIAL?) 40 AT THE NFL COMBINE

STAND UP!!!!!!

gdur52
02-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I've always been very impressed with his play on the field, and now he has shown up and performed at the combine. I really like the kid.

Bronco in UT
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Meanwhile, Derrick Williams just stunk it up in the 40....Haven't seen too many PSU games this year so who is the better FOOTBALL player?

critesy
02-22-2009, 12:00 PM
why is the first point in lower caps and then the rest in higher caps ?

PossibleCabbage
02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I think you just kind of worry that a 180 lb WR is going to get killed out there. I mean, similar type of player as DeSean Jackson and even though Jackson had a good year this year, his draft stock definitely slipped due to "can this guy stay healthy out there?" concerns (not due to injury history, just due to the fact that there are safeties that outweigh him by 40 lbs who don't have his best interests in mind).

Also, how are his hands? Fast, little guys, with questionable hands rarely work out in the NFL.

Geo
02-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Good to see him come in heavier, although I am leery he can keep the weight.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
By far he was PSU's best WR, now I know why Derrick Williams never could get more playing time at wideout.

Butler has great hands, is a good route runner, but in college he played at close to 165 pounds. That's part of the reason he wasn't rated higher.

Also, he never looked like a 4.2-4.3 guy in pads. That's scary speed, and Deon Butler never looked like the fastest guy on the field whenever I saw him play.

I'm most impressed with his weight. If he can hold those pounds, he'll make a roster and contribute somewhere in the league.

A Marvin Harrison clone.

underscore
02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I think you just kind of worry that a 180 lb WR is going to get killed out there. I mean, similar type of player as DeSean Jackson and even though Jackson had a good year this year, his draft stock definitely slipped due to "can this guy stay healthy out there?" concerns (not due to injury history, just due to the fact that there are safeties that outweigh him by 40 lbs who don't have his best interests in mind).

Also, how are his hands? Fast, little guys, with questionable hands rarely work out in the NFL.

His hands aren't quite as consistent as Norwood's (whose were?), however, he easily made the most difficult catches between the three.

DeathbyStat
02-22-2009, 12:24 PM
If been telling people for a long time that he is much better than Derrick Williams

Id take him late round 2 early round three

Sniper
02-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I've been saying forever that he's better than Williams.

Easy on the ALL CAPS though.

And all-time leading receiver, while nice, can be misleading. Butler had the fortune of coming in when everyone from the year before had graduated, and got a chance to make an instant impact as a true freshman. Not everyone has that chance.

Crickett
02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
-RAN A 4.26 UNOFFICIAL (4.29 OFFICIAL?) 40 AT THE NFL COMBINE

STAND UP!!!!!!

4.38 official (according to NFL.com).

BeerBaron
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Butler was, without question, Penn State's best receiver this year. I said it quite a bit before the combine even happened that I would rather have Butler than Derrick Williams, and this is just further confirmation.

And to anyone who questions his hands: You don't become the career receptions leader at a big time university without having good hands.

I honestly didn't expect him to run as fast as he did, but thats just icing on the cake.

He's going to make a great #2/slot guy for years if he gets a good opportunity.

Sniper
02-22-2009, 12:30 PM
He's going to make a great #2/slot guy for years if he gets a good opportunity.

Slot guy. I don't think he's good enough for a #2. Yes, he had a lot of receptions, but he never really dominated in college. Good slot option though.

BeerBaron
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Slot guy. I don't think he's good enough for a #2. Yes, he had a lot of receptions, but he never really dominated in college. Good slot option though.

I guess technically Wes Welker plays out of the slot mostly, but I still consider him the #2 receiver on the team, ya know?

He won't be a #1 receiver, how about we word it like that, lol

underscore
02-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Butler also had a 37" vertical today

SchizophrenicBatman
02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
There is absolutely zero reason to want Derrick Williams after today. I hope his bombing of the forty is enough for people to finally admit that he just sucks. Can't play on the field, can't run...he's just not good. If he was rated rivals' #40 WR coming out of high school he'd be undrafted

Sniper
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
There is absolutely zero reason to want Derrick Williams after today. I hope his bombing of the forty is enough for people to finally admit that he just sucks. Can't play on the field, can't run...he's just not good. If he was rated rivals' #40 WR coming out of high school he'd be undrafted

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! This post rocks my socks off.

Solomon
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
wrong thread. whoops.

Solomon
02-22-2009, 01:13 PM
wrong thread.

Vikes99ej
02-22-2009, 01:43 PM
ZAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA this guy didz SOOOO good at the KOMBINE today why izn't he a FIRZTTT ROUNDAAA????

Geo
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm tired of having to defend the guy like he's my brother or something, I think he's alright and all. But all this railing against the guy is overboard. He can play.

Now the big thing is, his college production, the Senior Bowl, and the Combine today all prove he's far from a legit deep threat.

But in terms of short and intermediate routes, as a return man if he can securely catch the ball, he can contribute. He might be a good #3.

That's not great, but after today, he won't be drafted as high as once thought so it evens out.

PENNSTATEHOMER
02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
ZAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA this guy didz SOOOO good at the KOMBINE today why izn't he a FIRZTTT ROUNDAAA????

HAH...sorry I got excited. I'm not saying he is a first rounder, but most are acting like he will be undrafted or a 6th/7th rounder...he is PSU's career reception's leader with QB Michael Robinson (unrefined thrower) in his first year playing as a RS FR, Anthony Morelli as a RS SO/RS JR, and Daryll Clark as a RS SR.

He has started for 4 years, he has never missed a game due to injury, he is the PSU career receptions leader and he had a very respectable measuring at 5'11 182. Even if the 4.38 is the real official time, that is still impressive because Butler & Norwood were always the two PSU WRs that were very good with their lateral movement and ability to make something happen after the catch.

The play that got called back against USC, he caught the ball down the left sideline and proceeded to make the entire USC defense look silly as he cut across the entire field, dodged Rey Rey and about 6 other Trojans and weaved in & out. I'm hoping he can go 4th or 5th round personally...and I've always thought he was PSU's most complete receiver.

SenorGato
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM

I was blown the F away that people thought he was good in the first place...

NotRickJames
02-22-2009, 02:55 PM
He's a future Wes Welker. He's a lot better than Derrick Williams (this guy isn't that good, why is he getting so much hype?)

underscore
02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Penn State WR Derrick Williams (illness) unofficially ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds Sunday, Feb. 22, at the NFL Scouting Combine. Williams has been battling the flu for the past week. His agent, Chafie Fields, recommended Williams sit out the NFL Combine, but Williams decided to do his best to perform.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't like to name call on a fan board, but anyone who thinks Derrick Williams is a scrub is crazee!!

I'm from the Washington Metro area, and when Derrick Williams was in HS, he was the greatest athlete on the East Coast. He played QB, WR, RB and returned the ball and was timed at HS combines running a 4.29.

Percy Harvin was compared to Derrick when he graduated from Landsdown HS.

I don't know what happened to his top end speed or if he got too big in college, but for people to act like Derrick doesn't have the skills to play in the league because he ran a subpar 40 is ridiculous.
Anyone who thinks 4.58 is his true speed has never seen Williams on a football field.

Derrick Williams is a player, he just wasn't the best WR on PSU's roster.

Grizzlegom
02-22-2009, 03:18 PM

while i agree that Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood are both better receivers, the fact the D-Will has been battling the flu and his agent told him not to participate makes me think that he's gonna pull a Manningham and perform well in the pro day and scouts will forgive his mediocre combine.

PENNSTATEHOMER
02-22-2009, 03:21 PM
DWill had a disappointing day, it'll be interesting to see whether or not it hurts him. The story by Chafie/DWill could be concocted (flu), or it could be for real...good thing for DWill is that he has added value as a KR/PR and has the PSU Pro-Day to make some noise. He has also been someone that has seemed jittery at times, too amped up...maybe he'll be more calm at the Pro-Day.

I could also see a scenario where Deon Butler doesn't run the 40 at PSU Pro-Day, if I were him I wouldn't - let the 4.38 NFL Combine speak for itself because at 182 pounds that is a good time for him. Also the 37" vertical for Butler is a very good #, and 38 inch for Jordan Norwood was expected because he has always had insane hops. Both of those two guys, and really Williams as well, should kill it with the 3-cone and shuttle times.

I'm just really pumped about Deon, because he is a former walk-on ATH/WR-CB from Virginia that has started for 4 years and has an awesome personality. You really pull for kids like that to succeed.

BeerBaron
02-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm just really pumped about Deon, because he is a former walk-on ATH/WR-CB from Virginia that has started for 4 years and has an awesome personality. You really pull for kids like that to succeed.

Totally agree with that part. And its not like he only got by on guts, he has some good talent to run and jump like he did, and it was obvious watching them this year that he simply the best WR on the team.

BaLLiN
02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
i think butler is the better pure reciever, but Derrick Williams can tear games wide open as a PR/KR/ or a rb/wr hybrid