PDA

View Full Version : All of this talk about T.J. Duckett has me asking one question...

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 06:01 PM
... where do I sign? Sure, we just got Tatum Bell in "the" trade, but "rumor" has it that other teams (including the Giants) are interested in him. Good. Got picks? Gimmie.

In one of the many articles about Duckett, it mentioned how he'd give us a short yardage option that we haven't had in recent years... and the article was right. Calhoun is, by NO means, a powerful, tackle-breaker, and KJones does a bit of both. Why not bring Duckett in to pound the ball at the defense? Smack them in the face a bit... pick up our short 1sts and continue the drives.

I wasn't that big on the idea until I thought of having our "3rd and 2" solution. Now, i'm all for it.

Lets get Duckett.

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
If we can get him relatively cheap, then I am all for it. But I am sure there is another bruising back out there we could sign . . .

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
If we can get him relatively cheap, then I am all for it. But I am sure there is another bruising back out there we could sign . . .Who else do you think we should grab (if we tried to grab a power back)?

He went to Michigan State, so that might encourage him to come back.

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Haven't looked at a Free Agent list . . . maybe we should use one of our 5th rounders on a big RB . . . I know we took Calhoun last year, but all signs point to him being a disappointment for us (injuries being an issue). Chris Henry makes a lot of sense. Scotty took him in the forum mock in the 5th round . . . hmm

Also, perhaps a guy like Dwayne Wright from Fresno St.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/dwaynewright.html

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I would love to get a power back... I think the Lions' offense needs one.

Pocket
03-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I completely agree, and when I read in the newspaper (I read it at work on break one day) that we were talking to him, I got a little excited. Then I had to go back to work. :(

detroit4life
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
duckett is more than a powerback he can catch passes as well so he fits into martzs system he'd be a great signing but then imno sure where bell would fit in

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
duckett is more than a powerback he can catch passes as well so he fits into martzs system he'd be a great signing but then imno sure where bell would fit inThere have been rumors that the Giants have asked about him.

*shrugs*

Notredameleo
03-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I hope we sign Duckett and trade bell for a third rounderor even fourth

casskid
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
In the current system the Lions dont really need a power back. If they did why not keep Sledge? I would rather see them pick up Lorenzo Booker and turn Jones into the more punishing style back. He already loves to run people over, but he doesnt really seem to have that top end speed, and im not sure if the foot injury is going to slow him down. Jones would still be the feature back, but with Booker it gives us a big play threat.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I hope we sign Duckett and trade bell for a third rounderor even fourthI agree. IF we get a 3rd or 4th, this draft will be incredible. I can't wait to see the packages Millen puts together to trade up.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
In the current system the Lions dont really need a power back. If they did why not keep Sledge? I would rather see them pick up Lorenzo Booker and turn Jones into the more punishing style back. He already loves to run people over, but he doesnt really seem to have that top end speed, and im not sure if the foot injury is going to slow him down. Jones would still be the feature back, but with Booker it gives us a big play threat.Duckett is a much better back than Sledge would be. KJones is a strong runner, but isn't nearly as dominant or powerful as Duckett.

Scotty D
03-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I agree. IF we get a 3rd or 4th, this draft will be incredible. I can't wait to see the packages Millen puts together to trade up.

That is one thing I'm sure of in the upcoming draft. Millen is going to be very active in trading up and down and moving players.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
That is one thing I'm sure of in the upcoming draft. Millen is going to be very active in trading up and down and moving players.Yes yes... twill be fun. Cant wait.

If we, somehow, get Willis in round 1, I will... be... happy. I can see a CB in round 2 and Bazuin in round 3, so Willis in round 1 makes a lot of sense.

casskid
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
To me Duckett just seems like a turd which is far from dominant, he doesnt really seem to have the will to do anything. And while Jones may not be the biggest guy he really seems committed to doing whatever it takes to win. If you lighten the load on him, you could bring some one else in to be more of the speed/receiving back, and let Jones just beat the life out of people. I just dont see Duckett fitting in the system.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
To me Duckett just seems like a turd which is far from dominant, he doesnt really seem to have the will to do anything. And while Jones may not be the biggest guy he really seems committed to doing whatever it takes to win. If you lighten the load on him, you could bring some one else in to be more of the speed/receiving back, and let Jones just beat the life out of people. I just dont see Duckett fitting in the system.I disagree. I think Duckett could dominate if used properly. And, I seriously don't see Jones as the back that will constantly" beat the life out of people". I'd rather use Jones as the primary back... a back that can do it all... and use Duckett as the short yardage pounder.

detroit4life
03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
remember marinelli likes to pound the rockand duckett provides a great back up to KJ who will need a lesser role for the begining of next year. Duckett gives marinelli a guy to run right up the middle and plow over a guy or two everytime

Newbs24
03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
If the Giants really want Bell, I would hold out for a higher pick. Push the envelope and see if they budge. If not, oh well, we keep a pretty damn good RB. Not a bad consolation prize.

Bucs4242
03-06-2007, 01:18 AM
TJ Suckett is a waste of space. I like to call him, Mike Alstott without balls. The guy is a turd

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 07:56 AM
If the Giants really want Bell, I would hold out for a higher pick. Push the envelope and see if they budge. If not, oh well, we keep a pretty damn good RB. Not a bad consolation prize.True, true. His value will also increase once most of the high profile FA RBs are off the market.

wingboy2999
03-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Do we really think we are going to move Bell after we just got him?

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Do we really think we are going to move Bell after we just got him?Do I think he'll get traded? Not really. But, if a team that wants him is willing to give enough, he'll be traded. It all depends on the offer.

Addict
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Do I think he'll get traded? Not really. But, if a team that wants him is willing to give enough, he'll be traded. It all depends on the offer.

That goes for just about any player doesn't it?

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
That goes for just about any player doesn't it?Yes and no. If the price is right for ANY player, a trade would be made. But, in this situation, Bell hasn't worn the uniform yet. Trading him would mean much less than trading an established player.

Or something.

Pocket
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I want to see Bell in action before we ditch him, unless we can get something good for him.

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
http://spartannation.com/?cat=12

More breaking Lions news about T.J. Duckett:
By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.

I got many emails after I mentioned on my syndicated sports show Hondo’s House last night that the Lions liked that Duckett could run a 4.4 40 and bench press OVER 500 pounds.

I want you all to know that those are accurate numbers of what he can do NOW. Duckett left the Lions Allen Park facility today, but it is very clear that the Lions would like Duckett and that he would like to be a Lion. Now the issue is whether or not they can make the numbers work.
So, we want him and he wants to be a Lion.

Good deal.

detroit4life
03-06-2007, 05:49 PM
hopefully we could trade bell he really wouldnt be needed if we got duckett

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
hopefully we could trade bell he really wouldnt be needed if we got duckettI think Calhoun/Duckett would be great until KJones comes back... give Calhoun some carries (and time) to prove himself and grow, and let Duckett pick up the short-yard carries (which definately isn't Calhoun's strength).

I'd like it... and an additional pick for Bell.

detroit4life
03-06-2007, 07:36 PM
mayb we end up holding onto him until the draft and use him to make a move up but im really not sure if duckett would sign knowing he'd most likely be our 3rd string RB

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 07:38 PM
mayb we end up holding onto him until the draft and use him to make a move up but im really not sure if duckett would sign knowing he'd most likely be our 3rd string RBI think the injury to KJones would help sway him... it'll give him a chance to prove himself before he returns.

It would be nice to package the picks with Bell and move up.

Man... I cant wait until the draft.

wingboy2999
03-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Now we are going to have a logjam at RB.

Jagonsucker
03-07-2007, 01:24 AM
mlive.com reports he left town without a deal...So chances are he's not gonna sign with us.

Bucs4242
03-07-2007, 03:36 AM
hopefully we could trade bell he really wouldnt be needed if we got duckett

lmao Bell is 10x the runner Duckett is. Detroit fans have you watched Duckett play, or are you judging off measurables?

TJ Duckett never won the starting job in ATlanta. In fact he was traded away 3 years after being drafted in the 2nd round.

Then Duckett was unable to get ANY carries in Washington after Clinton POrtis got hurt.

TJ Duckett is this mythical creature who can lift cars and outrun deer but when he gets in football pads he has a hard time hiding the fact that he's not a very good football player.

TJ Duckett will be without a job by the 2009 season, dude is a fraud and I always did enjoy watching the Atlanta fans go from calling Duckett the prototype back to cursing him and hurling personal attacks at him within 1-2 years of uninspired play

Iamcanadian
03-07-2007, 07:13 AM
remember marinelli likes to pound the rockand duckett provides a great back up to KJ who will need a lesser role for the begining of next year. Duckett gives marinelli a guy to run right up the middle and plow over a guy or two everytime

Martz runs the offense not Marinelli. Duckett doesn't suit Martz's system one bit. Martz likes fast quick RB's who can be utilized a pass receivers. Since Jones likely won't play next year, Duckett could be utilized in short yardage situation but not much more. Tatum Bell will be our starting RB as long as he can catch a pass. Duckett would simply back him up if we sign him.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Martz runs the offense not Marinelli. Duckett doesn't suit Martz's system one bit. Martz likes fast quick RB's who can be utilized a pass receivers. Since Jones likely won't play next year, Duckett could be utilized in short yardage situation but not much more. Tatum Bell will be our starting RB as long as he can catch a pass. Duckett would simply back him up if we sign him.Martz also wont be here forever (as I think Marinelli will be here longer). If they take Duckett, it'll (of course) be for those short yard plays... but that it itself is worth it (Bell and Calhoun can't be expected to plow people over).

I like the signing... if it happens.

Bucs4242
03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Duckett doesnt plow p[eople over. In open space he runs fast. In between the tackles he has beenknown to tip-toe. You will see. Guy is not a gamer