PDA

View Full Version : Ian Johnson's Quiet Solid Day at the Combine

PossibleCabbage
02-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Johnson had:
4.46 40-yard dash (second among RBs, .01 seconds off the leader)
6.93 3-cone drill (eighth among RBs, .11 seconds off the leader)
4.18 20 yard shuttle (fourth among RBs, .1 seconds off the leader)
11.63 60 yard shuttle (fourth among RBs, .33 seconds off of the leader)
26 reps on the bench (fifth among RBs, 4 off the leader, more than Wells and Moreno).

Apparently measured 5'11" and 212 which is reasonable size.

Didn't place top 10 in any of the jumping drills (don't know if he participated), but those are some solid numbers. Personally I had Johnson way down on my rankings, so a lot of these numbers surprised me. How much did he help his stock today? There's a lot to like about this kid: he's a player with good, solid production at a legitimate program, and combine numbers that are competitive with anybody else at his position. What's his ceiling in the draft? We're really deep in RBs this year, but I could see him going in the third or fourth. Am I crazy?

holt_bruce81
02-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Will be a later round guy, but whatever team gets him will be getting a heck of a football player. Team first kind of guy. I wish him well in the NFL.

BeerBaron
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
When I heard this year that he asked to start playing special teams, I was impressed.

So, not only a team first guy, but he has experience doing what he would most likely have to do most as a late round guy, play special teams.

StorminNorman
02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
He is the type of player I want on my team, especially if I am Detroit.

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I was put on national TV saying I thought he'd be a good pro, I have to keep consistent with that! But yes, I think he could become a Pro Bowler. A special teams Pro Bowler, and maybe even a solid 3rd down back.

CashmoneyDrew
02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I was put on national TV saying I thought he'd be a good pro, I have to keep consistent with that! But yes, I think he could become a Pro Bowler. A special teams Pro Bowler, and maybe even a solid 3rd down back.

Are you talking about the interactive fan/bowl thing?

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Haha yeah, and I know KobeBryant833 and Primetime21 wouldn't let me live it down.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I hope he goes to Denver - I think Ian really worked on improving his speed and quickness heading into the draft and if he can carry that speed with him to the pros, he has the ability to be very productive at the next level.

Primetime21
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Haha yeah, and I know KobeBryant833 and Primetime21 wouldn't let me live it down.

Your almost as knowledgeable as Todd McShay!

CashmoneyDrew
02-22-2009, 08:53 PM

You got a picture of that? Maybe a youtube vid?

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I do not. There is a thread about it somewhere though.

Twinkle Toes
02-22-2009, 10:46 PM
He had a hell of a day. Now he will probably go 4th - 5th round instead of 6th round to UDFA.

He also is a very good character guy, just the kind of guy you want on special teams.
Just not a 'special' player. But he WILL make a roster this fall IMO.

Black Bolt
02-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Darren Sproles.

Has there ever been a more forgotten player in college than Ian Johnson?

Johnson had:
4.46 40-yard dash (second among RBs, .01 seconds off the leader)
6.93 3-cone drill (eighth among RBs, .11 seconds off the leader)
4.18 20 yard shuttle (fourth among RBs, .1 seconds off the leader)
11.63 60 yard shuttle (fourth among RBs, .33 seconds off of the leader)
26 reps on the bench (fifth among RBs, 4 off the leader, more than Wells and Moreno).

Apparently measured 5'11" and 212 which is reasonable size.

Didn't place top 10 in any of the jumping drills (don't know if he participated), but those are some solid numbers. Personally I had Johnson way down on my rankings, so a lot of these numbers surprised me. How much did he help his stock today? There's a lot to like about this kid: he's a player with good, solid production at a legitimate program, and combine numbers that are competitive with anybody else at his position. What's his ceiling in the draft? We're really deep in RBs this year, but I could see him going in the third or fourth. Am I crazy?