PDA

View Full Version : USC Bench Press form

Wallzy
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Watching the highlights of the DL/LB bench press on NFL network, I noticed a real disparity in bench press form between the different athletes, particularly with Cushing and Maualuga from USC. The two USC stars didnt seem to lock out their elbows, and their reps appeared incompletely to me. Did anyone else notice this? I've got to think that the technique they used would have saved their triceps from fatigue relative to guys that were locking out. I bet bench press technicians that have perfect form to make their reps "legal" would have a significant advantage over others.

A fairly meaningless note in the grand scheme of things, but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing.

Brent
02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
The two USC stars didnt seem to lock out their elbows
Locking your elbows is bad for you.

hockey619
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
But you should come close to straightening out your arms and the two USC backers didnt bring the bar up nearly as high as the others did. And yes it would definitely make a difference in how fast they tire.

CashmoneyDrew
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Most people are just using their momentum to bounce the bar off of their chest anyways which is why the bench press is pretty overrated in the first place IMO.

Crickett
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Most people are just using their momentum to bounce the bar off of their chest anyways which is why the bench press is pretty overrated in the first place IMO.

All of these combine workouts are overrated, but they usually can usually give teams some warning somes or bring attention to a player that deserves it. Example: An undersized safety who can bench 225 34 times.

Wallzy
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Good point voodoo, the other end of the spectrum is guys just bouncing in the bar. I'm sure teams that value the bench press as a measurable take form into consideration in their evals.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Guess Maualuga didnt get the SC memo.

Strongside
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I did a project on this for exercise science awhile ago, I was able to do 15 reps of 225 with strict form (coming just short of locking my elbows), and 18 if I bounced, arched my back and didn't go all the way up. So it did make a considerable difference to me