PDA

View Full Version : Darrius Heyward-Bey

jetsfan0099
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Do you guys think this guy would be a good choice for the NYJ at pick #17?? We could really use a play maker at WR, no one respects our downfield attack right now. Teams stack the box against us, we need a guy that can stretch the field.

Also do you see Heyward-Bey being a #1 target in the NFL, a 1,000+ yard WR? Or is he a #2 type guy?

From what I see he looks like a nice prospect. He has nice size to him, got strong hands, catches with his hands, extremely fast. His routes probably his problem, but thats teachable IMO. You can't teach speed, you either have that god given speed or you don't.

Brothgar
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Do you guys think this guy would be a good choice for the NYJ at pick #17?? We could really use a play maker at WR, no one respects our downfield attack right now. Teams stack the box against us, we need a guy that can stretch the field.

Also do you see Heyward-Bey being a #1 target in the NFL, a 1,000+ yard WR? Or is he a #2 type guy?

From what I see he looks like a nice prospect. He has nice size to him, got strong hands, catches with his hands, extremely fast. His routes probably his problem, but thats teachable IMO. You can't teach speed, you either have that god given speed or you don't.

Honestly I don't think he'll be there at 17 not after running a 4.3 40. I'm going to be VERY bold and say he might just jump Crabs b/c of Crab's stress fracture and the unknown that is his 40 time.

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
When it comes to WR's you don't want to get carried away with the guys who run exceptional 40 times, that doesn't always translate...That said, DHB looks great to me, I love the way he runs with the ball in his hands, and he just looks like a natural athlete, 'smooth' is what I would describe his game as, very fluid natural runner.

He's raw at WR so there will be a learning curve, but the sky is the limit for him, he's not as refined as someone like Nicks or Robiske at WR but teams fall in love with speed...I love him as a prospect, I think if he gets coached up he can dominate, but you shouldn't expect him to step in immediately and be an impact player, it's possible but I wouldn't expect it or draft him with those intentions.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
DHB is far in away the best vertical threat in the draft, probably the best vertical threat since CJ. People nag on his hands but that's untrue. He grabs balls out of the air with his hands. The problem with him is that he was in an offense which never threw the ball. He is a raw intermediate route runner. Really there is no way to tell at this point how good he is at working it in the middle.

DiG
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
watch the gauntlet highlights of his on nfl.com and tell me he doesnt have great hands. no drops and each catch is at the point of attack with his hands in front of his body. he was always making acrobatic catches at md because or qbs sucked.

Menardo75
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
He has the potential to be an elite downfield threat.

nyqua
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I think it would make sense for the Jets. Let him develop for a year then cut Coles and let him slide into his role.

derza222
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Honestly I don't think he'll be there at 17 not after running a 4.3 40. I'm going to be VERY bold and say he might just jump Crabs b/c of Crab's stress fracture and the unknown that is his 40 time.

Not sure the 40 makes his stock go up that much. If he showed nice hands and ran nice routes I can see that raising his stock, but everybody already knew he was fast.

I think he's a very solid fit for the Jets if he's on the board at 17.

ElectricEye
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
He's the best deep threat in this draft and everybody knew he was going to blow up the 40. He might be able to run a high 4.2 if he runs at his pro day. There's some major consistency issues and even though he was blatantly underutilized, you have to wonder why that is. With that said, his size/speed combo is untouchable in this draft as far as wide receivers go. He's great on the deep ball as well.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
He sucks no one should get him!!!!!!!!

jetsfan0099
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
With the Jets he wouldn't have to start right away, we have Cotchery and Coles. Coles is guaranteed to be on the team this year because he is guaranteed his money, we save nothing by him being cut so there is no point. He would be used as our deep threat mostly as a rookie and let him develop his overall game. But he would have a impact for the fact he can create big plays. He has quickness to him also, the more I watch him the more I'm falling in love with this dude.

CashmoneyDrew
02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
He sucks no one should get him!!!!!!!!

I second this, the only team he would make it with is the Titans! ;)

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I've seen a lot of MAryland football games, and DHB isn't half the receiver Crabtree is. He's got great tools, but in terms of route running, finding soft spots in zones, setting up his man with double moves, technique wise he's very raw.

Because of his size/speed, DHB simply by being on the field will open up underneath routes whenever he goes long, but I'd say it would be 2-3 years before he becomes a consistent pro bowl quality WR.

All in all, I'd invest a 1st round pick on him because of his upside, but he's far from polished. Yes, he does catch the ball well and the Terps had big problems throwing the ball when he was there, but don't think he's going to come into the league and be Randy Moss/ Larry Fitzgerald/TO any time soon.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I've seen a lot of MAryland football games, and DHB isn't half the receiver Crabtree is. He's got great tools, but in terms of route running, finding soft spots in zones, setting up his man with double moves, technique wise he's very raw.

Because of his size/speed, DHB simply by being on the field will open up underneath routes whenever he goes long, but I'd say it would be 2-3 years before he becomes a consistent pro bowl quality WR.

All in all, I'd invest a 1st round pick on him because of his upside, but he's far from polished. Yes, he does catch the ball well and the Terps had big problems throwing the ball when he was there, but don't think he's going to come into the league and be Randy Moss/ Larry Fitzgerald/TO any time soon.

1-2% of receivers step in day one and are stars.

regoob2
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
He sucks no one should get him!!!!!!!!Tell that to the teams with the first 17 picks. I hope the Bears pick him at #18. He's been my #2 WR.

2 Live Crew
02-23-2009, 01:57 PM

I've seen every MD game he's ever played and I'll take DHB over any other WR in this draft

thenewfeature06
02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Bernard Berrian?

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Bernard Berrian?

Berrian is a great deep threat but DHB is even on a whole different level from him in terms of speed. Honestly DHB's deep speed would be top 5 in the NFL instantly. But if you are making the Berrian comparison in terms of a guy who gets most of his production by relying on the big play or deep ball I think that will be DHB his first 3 years. He could develop and truly be special but yeah at worst you are looking at a Berrian type career receiver.

regoob2
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Bernard Berrian?DHB is bigger, stronger, better hands and vertical.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah I see too much Donte Stallworth here to think he's a good pick for NYJ. I would think the Jets would go for Nicks, Britt, or Harvin before DHB. I think the best situation for DHB is in a situation where he is the #2 receiving threat.

On a team with Coles and Cotch I think he'd just get lost in the mediocrity.

45, 51, 42 receptions in his career. I know his QB situation was tough but I don't see him as a #1 WR, especially on a team with a shaky QB situation.

Colts, Titans, or Ravens are far better fits IMO.

jetsfan0099
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah I see too much Donte Stallworth here to think he's a good pick for NYJ. I would think the Jets would go for Nicks, Britt, or Harvin before DHB. I think the best situation for DHB is in a situation where he is the #2 receiving threat.

On a team with Coles and Cotch I think he'd just get lost in the mediocrity.

45, 51, 42 receptions in his career. I know his QB situation was tough but I don't see him as a #1 WR, especially on a team with a shaky QB situation.

Colts, Titans, or Ravens are far better fits IMO.

So you say he isn't a good fit for the Jets because he has to be the star right away? Yet you say teams with worse WRs than the Jets are better situations with the Titans and Ravens?

He would be the 3rd WR for the Jets year 1, but groomed to replace Coles in a year.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
So you say he isn't a good fit for the Jets because he has to be the star right away? Yet you say teams with worse WRs than the Jets are better situations with the Titans and Ravens?

He would be the 3rd WR for the Jets year 1, but groomed to replace Coles in a year.

The Titans situation is better because they have the best running game and a far better QB. A vertical threat is a lot better when you have to worry about CJ and LW. Jones and Leon are good- but now you've probably lost B. Moore + no QB. The Jets running game is good but the Titans running game is scary.

The Ravens is better for similar reasons but they also have a better WR corps than the Jets.

Coles and Cotchery were pretty bad last year at getting open and getting separation. Think about it. Their best plays of the season were all catches when they were covered... (Coles Favre fastball back of the endzone TD, Cotch amazing catch vs. NE, etc.)

skinzzfan25
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Regardless of what team he goes to, i'll root for him. It will be nice to see what he can do with a quarterback actually getting him the ball. Hollenbeck/Turner/QB-BumX and Friegen's playcalling really tied DHB down.

Cicero
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I was one of the only people to have him as #2 on my big board two months ago, and after the combine I think NFL teams will follow suit with their boards. He has the potential to be a great #1 receiver.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
DHB has a greater upside than Donte Stallworth because he's more durable and I don't think he'll have all the nagging injury problems Stallworth has.

My negatives on DHB is at Maryland he always looked like more of a straight line guy to me. However, I like the fact that DHB is a humble guy who doesn't have a lot of prima donna in him and will come into someone's camp and work to improve on his game.

I remember when he got to Maryland, all he was is fast and Friedgen said he didn't know if DHB would be a WR for the Terps.

He's come a long way in his short football career and I expect him to get nothing but better.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Most of his positives and negatives have already been mentioned in this thread. One thing to keep in mind that teams are going to absolutely LOVE about him is his aggressiveness as a blocker. Is he the best blocking WR in the draft? No, but the fact that he not only shows a willingness but an aggressive nature while doing it is one of those intangibles that teams LOVE to see in their playmakers.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Most of his positives and negatives have already been mentioned in this thread. One thing to keep in mind that teams are going to absolutely LOVE about him is his aggressiveness as a blocker. Is he the best blocking WR in the draft? No, but the fact that he not only shows a willingness but an aggressive nature while doing it is one of those intangibles that teams LOVE to see in their playmakers.

Yup absolutely you have no ideas how many times he sealed off the edges at Maryland. Being a team that ran 70/30 DHB blocked great every play. Even with slower RB's like Lance Ball and Meggett DHB could keep a block for 10 seconds to allow them to get to the corner.

thetedginnshow
02-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Yup absolutely you have no ideas how many times he sealed off the edges at Maryland. Being a team that ran 70/30 DHB blocked great every play. Even with slower RB's like Lance Ball and Meggett DHB could keep a block for 10 seconds to allow them to get to the corner.

Ten seconds, huh? lol

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Ten seconds, huh? lol

yeah lol, maybe the slightest of exaggerations, lol. Anyways there is a reason why I have had him as my #2 WR all season long and as my #1 receiver in the preseason before I saw more of Crabtree. The guy IMO just plays at a different speed, even for most NFL players. Unless you take a perfect angle at him you won't run him down. Just look at the video, watch all those TD's he grabs it from the air with his hands. Sick hands and ball skills. BTW excuse me for the song selection, I didn't make the video:

IyjaBWuo4zA

jetsfan0099
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
The Titans situation is better because they have the best running game and a far better QB. A vertical threat is a lot better when you have to worry about CJ and LW. Jones and Leon are good- but now you've probably lost B. Moore + no QB. The Jets running game is good but the Titans running game is scary.

The Ravens is better for similar reasons but they also have a better WR corps than the Jets.

Coles and Cotchery were pretty bad last year at getting open and getting separation. Think about it. Their best plays of the season were all catches when they were covered... (Coles Favre fastball back of the endzone TD, Cotch amazing catch vs. NE, etc.)

They weren't getting open because the Jets had to change their entire offense to fit Favre. Also both played injured all of last year, well Cotchery got injured during the season and Coles got injured in t
raining camp. And basically you just proved why the Jets could use a player like DHB.
Kerry Collins isn't that good anyways, he had a good year but I doubt he repeats. He probably goes back to his ways of throwing INTs. And you have no clue to what Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff will do this year. They are unknown, Clemens only time playing was during a season where it was impossible to have success. Terrible OL, no run game, only 1 guy to throw to (Cotchery, Coles was injured)

Crickett
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM

1. Yes, because if there was one weakness the Jets had last year, it was the run game. :rolleyes:
2. Coles and Cotchery's inability to get seperation is exactly WHY the Jets would be helped by a guy like DHB.

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2009, 05:42 PM

What QB is this you speak of that is FAR better then the QB for the Jets, curious to know.

And the Ravens have a better WR core then the Jets? Come on man, Cotchery and Coles are a solid duo, Mark Clayton makes one decent catch per month and Mason is old and falling apart with nothing behind them to speak of, so what is special about their WR group? Coles still has deep speed and Cotch can work the underneath routes.

thetedginnshow
02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Coles doesn't really have deep speed, but the Jets' receiving corp is better than the Ravens, especially factoring in Keller.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Coles doesn't really have deep speed, but the Jets' receiving corp is better than the Ravens, especially factoring in Keller.

Yeah I hope people realize the entire playoffs and the 2nd half of the season the Ravens were basically playing 2 deep at WR with Clayton and Mason. Marcus Smith was there as a blocker, but beyond him they had zero backups. They were 3 deep at WR and Todd Heap is no longer a good receiver. Derrick Mason probably only kept playing with that dislocated shoulder cause they had no one else to fill in.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Agree to disagree. I think Coles has regressed dramatically in terms of quickness and Cotchery proved to be a fringe #2 this season.

Whereas Derrick Mason is the consummate professional WR and Mark Clayton had his moments (plus he's simply the best athlete of them all).

I think Kerry Collins + best running game in pro football > Whatever the Jets will offer next season. Not saying the Jets don't have a good running attack but it surely will take a hit with the loss of Favre and now Moore.

Maybe the Ravens and Titans aren't great examples. I just think the Jets are dying for a gamebreaker who can do it all- and that DHB is more suited in a complementary role- ESPECIALLY if he's being broken in with a young, shaky QB (If you think Clemens/Ratliff aren't Shaky then I don't know what to tell you I see them at least three times a year at Hofstra + Clemens in 2007).

brat316
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I like DHB but my only concern for him is the YAC. In the video you see he does great going up to get the ball, making the catches even doing great on screen passes, also it take sometimes a second effort to bring him down. But in the video he didn't run much after making the catch. Also he has great speed but I think he might be lacking in ball carrier vision.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM
What do you mean a game breaker who can do it all??? There are only a handful of NFL players who can do that. But if you are talking about a game breaker as a vertical threat or taking a reverse or screen pass to the house guys like DHB, Harvin, Maclin are all in that boat. I think you are expecting way too much out of a rookie WR. I love Nicks and have called him the most NFL ready receiver, but if he gets 1,000 yards his rookie season that would have surpassed my expectations. Naturally receivers don't just come in the league day one and become consistent producers.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
What do you mean a game breaker who can do it all??? There are only a handful of NFL players who can do that. But if you are talking about a game breaker as a vertical threat or taking a reverse or screen pass to the house guys like DHB, Harvin, Maclin are all in that boat. I think you are expecting way too much out of a rookie WR. I love Nicks and have called him the most NFL ready receiver, but if he gets 1,000 yards his rookie season that would have surpassed my expectations. Naturally receivers don't just come in the league day one and become consistent producers.

I mean a guy who DOES do it all. DHB was a limited college player. Not saying he can't be a better pro (will have to be to live up to first round draft status), but he didn't run the full route tree and he's not ready to be the #1 target in a shaky passing game IMO. You put Harvin on the Jets and he's automatically the #1 threat (Leon Washington is 1b). Britt or Nicks, IMO, are better suited to be that 90 catch, #1 guy (not saying rookie year).

He just screams complementary WR to me, that's all. Not a bad thing. You need those just as much as you need the #1s.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I just hope the first 25 teams pass on him so the Ravens can find out where he stands in the NFL

DeathbyStat
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I could be way off base but this guy reminds me of Williamson.

A guy that has great measurables but had little production in college. And like Williamson people will blame the lack of production on the system he was in.

Well im sure he has better hands than Troy...Right?

On the other hand Calvin Johnson has no production in college mainly due to Reggie Ball

brat316
02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I mean a guy who DOES do it all. DHB was a limited college player. Not saying he can't be a better pro (will have to be to live up to first round draft status), but he didn't run the full route tree and he's not ready to be the #1 target in a shaky passing game IMO. You put Harvin on the Jets and he's automatically the #1 threat (Leon Washington is 1b). Britt or Nicks, IMO, are better suited to be that 90 catch, #1 guy (not saying rookie year).

He just screams complementary WR to me, that's all. Not a bad thing. You need those just as much as you need the #1s.

The same can be said about Harvin, he does have speed, but remember what offense of system he came out of. He didn't run full routes either, he was used all over the place and not in one area. The Urban Myer system makes players great Alex Smith is an example. But it takes time for them to shed the tricks they were taught in that system.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM

A guy that has great measurables but had little production in college. And like Williamson people will blame the lack of production on the system he was in.

On the other hand Calvin Johnson has no production in college mainly due to Reggie Ball

He has shown better hands than Williamson but their situations are similar. You have to be wary about guys with not-so-impressive production. Sinorice Moss is another one who comes to mind.

I personally like my WRs to have dominated in college, which means they were good enough to transcend any bad situation and still force their coaches and QBs to get them the ball. JMO.

As for what you just said about Calvin, I don't have the #s off the top of my head but his production wasn't awful by any stretch. He definitely had better stats than DHB or TW, not to mention being vastly superior in about every other intangible scouting category.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
The same can be said about Harvin, he does have speed, but remember what offense of system he came out of. He didn't run full routes either, he was used all over the place and not in one area. The Urban Myer system makes players great Alex Smith is an example. But it takes time for them to shed the tricks they were taught in that system.

That's the logical counter argument. Can't really say much being a Harvin fan. I just look at the production and what they do on the field. For whatever reason, Harvin commands the ball and his coach and QB get it to him however they can. Him not running a full route tree was more because he could get it done and get explosive and game-changing yardage consistently by carrying the ball, running screens, 9s and crosses.

But your right. If I don't like DHB, I shouldn't like Harvin. Just personal preference there.

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I like DHB but my only concern for him is the YAC. In the video you see he does great going up to get the ball, making the catches even doing great on screen passes, also it take sometimes a second effort to bring him down. But in the video he didn't run much after making the catch. Also he has great speed but I think he might be lacking in ball carrier vision.

His YAC was very impressive to me, look at how well he runs with the ball in his hands on the many reverses he got, he's a game changer, at worst teams will do that to get the ball into his hands and he made some of his biggest plays on the ground.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM

I was thinking that too, but since I have a soft spot for the Terps I like to think DHB is a better prospect than Williamson.

He surely has better hands than Williamson.

Ultimately I think he's going to be a bigger, faster version of Bernard Berrian, which isn't too bad at all.

SenorGato
02-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Yea...my big knocks on DHB are that he doesn't have the nuances of being a WR down.

He'd be great on the Jets because our two guys do.

He'd compliment Cotchery very, very well too.

gameplaya2435
02-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Hello, Al Davis. Meet Mr. 4.30 40.

Would anyone honestly be surprised if he took DHB at 7 now? That is, if he doesn't grab Johnny Knox :p

Crickett
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Hello, Al Davis. Meet Mr. 4.30 40.

Would anyone honestly be surprised if he took DHB at 7 now? That is, if he doesn't grab Johnny Knox :p

Nope. Prior to the combine I figured the highest DHB would go is #17 to the Jets. Now the highest he could go is #7.

umphrey
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
DHB is going top 10 now. Trust me. Someone will make that reach.

kiranadwaney
02-23-2009, 07:41 PM
i really think that DHB is the 2nd best WR this year, and before reading this thread i was thinking 17th to the jets would be a good fit. in my previous mock i had maclin going to the jets at 17 but i think DHB moved up many boards with his performance yesterday. so yeh i think it would be a good choice for the jets

Crickett
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM

I've been avoiding saying this because I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot, but Percy Harvin reminds me of Reggie Bush. The WR/RB hybrid who is more of an offensive weapon than a true wide receiver and with Leon Washington on the team, the Jets don't really need that.

PACKmanN
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM

imo, he reminds me of Dewayne Bowe.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
imo, he reminds me of Dewayne Bowe.

Bowe is bigger/stronger, and a much more polished receiver coming out, even Bowe though can't touch DHB's speed, he has world class speed.

JT Jag
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
DHB is a horrible player and he does not deserve to even go in the first round.

In fact, it would be an absolute REACH for anyone earlier then pick 40 to select him.

brat316
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
His YAC was very impressive to me, look at how well he runs with the ball in his hands on the many reverses he got, he's a game changer, at worst teams will do that to get the ball into his hands and he made some of his biggest plays on the ground.

He runs good with ball in his hands on screens and reverses, but when he actually breaks out of his route catches it, he gets a few yards and goes down. I think most of his YAC came from the screens passes, which work out really good for him with his speed.

trkaline
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
If the Ravens get DHB...I will cry Jesus tears..

Flyboy
02-23-2009, 08:09 PM

In fact, it would be an absolute REACH for anyone earlier then pick 40 to select him.

Tell us how you really feel.

thenewfeature06
02-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Yeah i think with Flacco's arm strength and DHB being the best vertical deep threat that can be a great young duo

derza222
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I like the Jets fit because DHB can come in and won't have to do all that much his first year. Expectations won't be that high in general in New York this year with in all likelihood a young offense.

He won't even have to start for this team and will probably be the #4 pass catching option (Cotchery, Coles, Keller) in a run oriented offense. His biggest assets right now are his ability to get deep and overall big play skills, the two things the Jets WR corps doesn't have. Height and leaping ability are lacking as well.

He'll be able to grow into his role and learn the intermediate routes from two vets that excel at them. I think it's a pretty solid situation, and while I'm not sold he'll be on the board, he'd be a fantastic pick by New York.

Not saying it's the best spot for him, but I don't think he's being set up to fail by any stretch if he gets drafted by the Jets.

lordquas
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM

And I will catch them in my mouth and gargle the delicious sweetness.

BroadwayJoe10
02-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Switch that to the Jets and our feelings are identical...i'd use those tears as masterbatory lubricant in my state of elation.

shady00
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd prefer Nicks or Britt for the Bears, but that doesn't mean I don't think DHB is a going to be a good receiver in the NFL. With that height and speed it's hard not to be.

Crickett
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I'd prefer Nicks or Britt for the Bears, but that doesn't mean I don't think DHB is a going to be a good receiver in the NFL. With that height and speed it's hard not to be.

I know what you mean. I think Hakeem Nicks is potentially an Anquan Boldin clone, but I don't want the Jets to draft him. He would be another possession receiver added to a team that has three if you count Dustin Keller. On the flip side, DHB would give the Bears a speedy down the field option which they already have in Hester.

thetedginnshow
02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think you can just classify receivers as burners or possession guys. In my mind, a possession receiver doesn't equate to a YAC receiver, which is what Nicks is.

UofMarylandTerp
02-24-2009, 01:22 AM
DHB should go to Baltimore baby! I know he would love to stay in Bmore. by the way, he posts his own videos and blogs on imatopprospect.com. pretty cool site if you want to follow DHB.

NMUBurner22
02-24-2009, 01:28 AM
You guys are falling for the 40 time..we ALL knew DHB was a blazer.

But we ALL also know he doesnt have good hands...is very raw....cant get off the line...and runs poor routes...he has BUST written ALL over him.

Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 at 239 pounds, had a vertical leap of 42 inches....11 foot broad jump..and the biggest HANDS ever at the combine.

BUT...he was great route runner and didnt drop anything.

2 Completly diffrent players who both tore up the combine.

D-Unit
02-24-2009, 01:47 AM
DHB is the ultimate #2 WR and he should be used that way.

Kurve
02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
i think its more important to be great rout runner then speed ..... in the pro level i think speed wont get u open as much as running great routes. Watching DHB his route running isnt much to be impressed. Like someone mentioned before he reminds me much of Troy Williamson.

DiG
02-24-2009, 07:16 AM

But we ALL also know he doesnt have good hands...is very raw....cant get off the line...and runs poor routes...he has BUST written ALL over him.

Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 at 239 pounds, had a vertical leap of 42 inches....11 foot broad jump..and the biggest HANDS ever at the combine.

i dont know where you get your info but you are completely wrong. DHB has amazing hands. He never dropped passes at MD. More than anything, he made acrobatic amazing catches behind his back, over his head, anywhere. Go watch the gauntlet highlight on nfl.com. He catches every ball with perfect form and completely smooth. your comment is ridiculous with no facts. DHBs hands are one of his best assets. Dont confuse people with your idiotic lies. And I don't know what makes you think he runs poor routes. Everyone from the combine said that he looked very smooth in his routes. I've read that several times. He was hindered in his route running at MD by a system that does not suite a wr and crappy qbs. The only negative that can be said about DHB is that he is still somewhat raw which you expect from a guy who has not been playing wr his whole life but his character is as good as it gets and he has been praised for being a hard worker throughout his career.

Hands?!?!?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxiAbDVB9MQ&feature=related

Crickett
02-24-2009, 08:14 AM
i think its more important to be great rout runner then speed ..... in the pro level i think speed wont get u open as much as running great routes. Watching DHB his route running isnt much to be impressed. Like someone mentioned before he reminds me much of Troy Williamson.

But what IMO led to Troy Williamson's downfall was not his route running, it was his stone hands. And DHB doesn't have that problem.

LonghornsLegend
02-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I've been avoiding saying this because I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot, but Percy Harvin reminds me of Reggie Bush. The WR/RB hybrid who is more of an offensive weapon than a true wide receiver and with Leon Washington on the team, the Jets don't really need that.

It's going to come down to who drafts him, but honestly I can see that too, it's just going to take the right offensive mind...I think if he hones his WR skills he has some Santana Moss in him, he's got the frame and play making ability, but that's if you just let him work at it...If you start using him as a WR/RB hybrid he'll never be as refined a route runner as you would like to see.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Percy Harvin is a better football player that Bush because he's more a one cut and go type player, plus he's much more physical. The only thing I worry about is injuries. Bush's problem is he dances too much and his vision is suspect.

And the only knock on DHB is refinement running routes and elusiveness in the open field.

He's an average runner with the football, not one of those guys who turns into a RB with the ball in their hands.

As far as catching the ball, only someone who hasn't seen him play over the years would criticize him on that point.

DHB is an outstanding WR prospect, level-headed with a great upside.

Once he learns the nuances of playing WR and how to set up DBs, he should be special.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Hands?!?!?!

Needless to say, i was expecting something more...

Kurve
02-24-2009, 11:48 AM
But what IMO led to Troy Williamson's downfall was not his route running, it was his stone hands. And DHB doesn't have that problem.

i was going to mention that as well hands and route running probably the most important aspect more so then straight speed.

Brothgar
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM

Don't you mean 39 8)

Dark Knight01
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
He'll be going in the 1st Round for sure now....

mikehop05
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
i dont know where you get your info but you are completely wrong. DHB has amazing hands. He never dropped passes at MD. More than anything, he made acrobatic amazing catches behind his back, over his head, anywhere. Go watch the gauntlet highlight on nfl.com. He catches every ball with perfect form and completely smooth. your comment is ridiculous with no facts. DHBs hands are one of his best assets. Dont confuse people with your idiotic lies. And I don't know what makes you think he runs poor routes. Everyone from the combine said that he looked very smooth in his routes. I've read that several times. He was hindered in his route running at MD by a system that does not suite a wr and crappy qbs. The only negative that can be said about DHB is that he is still somewhat raw which you expect from a guy who has not been playing wr his whole life but his character is as good as it gets and he has been praised for being a hard worker throughout his career.

Hands?!?!?!

Could not have said it better myself.

As a current UMD student, DHB has been one of the only bright spots on our football team for the past couple seasons. He is a dynamic weapon on offense, and as people also eluded to, he has a great head on his shoulders.

He will graduate this spring (which cannot be said for a lot of other early entrees) and has never been involved in an off the field incident.

Some may say his hands are suspect, but I have seen him drop one pass in all the games I have watched of him (around 25), and even that pass was a lame duck thrown by Turner. It is amazing he put up the numbers he did with a system that runs the ball as much as we do, with a quarterback as bad as ours, AND considering the fact he was doubled in pretty much every game.

DiG
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Needless to say, i was expecting something more...

there is another one out there where he makes a one handed grab behind his back but i cant find it. i liked his elevation on that one though over the defender.

Mr.Regular
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Not fair.
CJ was the best receiver prospect ever, everyone looks like crap comparatively.

Brothgar
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
I can see it now ... Russel to Bey touchdown!

DiG
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM

i think id be more upset to see him go to oakland than to an nfc east rival.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I can see it now ... Flacco to Bey touchdown!

I fixed it for you!!!!

Malaka
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I used to not like DHB but my opinion has definitely changed about him the last couple of days, I have come to like him a lot. I think with the right coaches in the NFL he can become a top 5 NFL receiver.

Xonraider
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Ghetto you suck :D

katnip
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's how I think the WR's will go in the draft in order... Crab, Maclin, Bey, then Harvin... Hopefully the Jets settle in at pick #17, crab a player who'll deliver year one unlike Gholston... Then trade back in round 1 to grab Josh Freeman.

Forgot about Kenny Britt... Oh well.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Ghetto you suck :D

Lol who wins??? Hand clocks said 4.26, lol. In case everyone doesn't know what we are talking about check Xonraider's sig quote.

JT Jag
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Tell us how you really feel.Fun fact: If you do a little research you'll notice that the JAGUARS have pick 40.

needled24_7
02-27-2009, 07:48 PM
anyone see a donte stallworth to DHB comparison?

G08
02-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm looking all over nfl.com and I don't see any DHB video running the gauntlet at all.... got a link?

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
DHB= Troy (the bust) Williamson.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
anyone see a donte stallworth to DHB comparison?

I could see that comparison if DHB gets hurt more frequently than Samuel L. Jackson in Unbreakable for the first few years of his career.

thetedginnshow
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I used to not like DHB but my opinion has definitely changed about him the last couple of days, I have come to like him a lot. I think with the right coaches in the NFL he can become a top 5 NFL receiver.

Oh you mean now that he went through the combine? lol

gpngc
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
I could see that comparison if DHB gets hurt more frequently than Samuel L. Jackson in Unbreakable for the first few years of his career.

Jeez I'm not the biggest DHB fan here either but there's no need to compare him to a diabolical comic book-obsessed weirdo.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
If DHB and Maclin are both there at 17 I would be fine with either of them.

03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
DHB= Troy (the bust) Williamson.

in terms of work ethic and physical attributes, Troy Williamson is not a bad player to be compared to...He just has atrocious hands.

BroadwayJoe10
03-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Jeez I'm not the biggest DHB fan here either but there's no need to compare him to a diabolical comic book-obsessed weirdo.

I think ya might have missed read Crick... He was saying that DHB could be compared to Donte Stallworth if he was as injured as said diabolical comic book-obsessed weirdo.

Sidenote...unbreakable was a pretty damn good movie.

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 09:45 PM
in terms of work ethic and physical attributes, Troy Williamson is not a bad player to be compared to...He just has atrocious hands.

Rare use of the word "atrocious" not fully encapsulating the meaning behind the statement.

Brothgar
04-25-2009, 04:12 PM

I am patting myself on the back for this one.

Sveen
04-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Al Davis just reached a new low...

SeanTaylorRIP
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Hah who called him since he declared to the Raiders in every mock!!! I told you guys about him 3 years back, knew he would develop into a top 10 pick. In that same post though I also said how there was a young guy named Erin Henderson who would be a true prospect, 1/2 aint bad.

Xonraider
04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Hah who called him since he declared to the Raiders in every mock!!! I told you guys about him 3 years back, knew he would develop into a top 10 pick. In that same post though I also said how there was a young guy named Erin Henderson who would be a true prospect, 1/2 aint bad.

I hate you