PDA

View Full Version : Texans near deal to send QB Rosenfels to Minnesota

Sveen
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
The Texans and Minnesota are close to completing a trade that would send quarterback Sage Rosenfels to the Vikings, possibly for a fourth-round draft choice.

The Texans had no comment on the report.

This is the second year in a row in which the Vikings have been interested in acquiring Rosenfels as their starting quarterback. Rosenfels, who won six games in the last two seasons when replacing the injured Matt Schaub, is approaching the last year of his contract. If the trade is completed, the Vikings will want to extend Rosenfels' contract.

The Vikings have Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte on their roster. Jackson is a former second-round pick and Frerotte is a 14-year veteran.

Rosenfels, who grew up in Iowa and played at Iowa State, was hoping to be traded to the Vikings last year. Media reports said Minnesota offered a third-round draft choice, but the Texans wanted a second-round pick. Both teams denied an offer was made. The reason Rosenfels wants to be traded to the Vikings is that he would have a chance to start for a team that has Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor at running back and as has led the NFL in run defense for the last two years.

Source: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6276358.html

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Is that the best they can do? I'd rather roll the dice on Vick.

Flyboy
LOL.

That's funny.

Menardo75
Not a surprise to me. I really like what I have seen from Sage in his limited time. If this happens is it really a smart move for Houston though?

Brodeur
02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
I'd love to see Sage go Helicopter in a Vikings uniform.

DHVF
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Well this should put us over the top. lol

djp
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Terrible. Sign Garcia over this clown.

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
The lasting image in my head of Sage will be the Colts game when he tried to turn into superman(literally) and failed miserably at being a QB for the entire 4th quarter lol.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
6tds 10 ints last year. I like this as a Lions fan. Actually it doesn't matter, all QBs torch us even Joey Harrington.

No actually Sage is decent QB nothing spectacular though, he'll be 31 this season so he's got a few years left. But for a 4th round pick why the heck not. They have 2 young guys forever developing in TJack and Booty and now a decent QB in Sage.

jayceheathman
02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
6tds 10 ints last year. I like this as a Lions fan. Actually it doesn't matter, all QBs torch us even Joey Harrington.

No actually Sage is decent QB nothing spectacular though, he'll be 31 this season so he's got a few years left. But for a 4th round pick why the heck not. They have 2 young guys forever developing in TJack and Booty and now a decent QB in Sage.

It will take TJack forever to develop.

comahan
02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Cant say Ill miss him.

Giantsfan1080
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Good move by the Texans I think. They could draft someone just as good as Sage with that 4th rd pick.

Scotty D
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Solid movie. I can definitely see the Texans nab a QB somewhere in the draft now, a project guy like Nate Davis.

PoopSandwich
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
They could get so much better than Sage Rosenfels, I really have no idea what to say...

jayceheathman
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Solid movie. I can definitely see the Texans nab a QB somewhere in the draft now, a project guy like Nate Davis.

Or Chase Holbrook. :)

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
i want to see the Rosecopter next year!

gramage
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
A little suprising as Scaub has missed time each of the last two years, but still an decent move, it shows your commitment to your starting QB and should give you another talented guy to put on the field. Might also give them the confidence to take a flyer on a guy like Pat White if he's willing to play a slash/wildcat role to get his foot in the door.

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Did you turn them down for a 3rd rounder last year texans?

bored of education
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Well this should put us over the top. lol

i laughed my ass off thank you sir!

gpngc
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Obviously this is just a precursor to Houston reuniting Steve Slaton with Pat White.

IceKubes
02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Did you turn them down for a 3rd rounder last year texans?

Supposedly they did. I think this trade would be solid for both parties. Yes Schaub has not been able to stay healthy the last two seasons but for the Texans to make some noise he has to. So while having Sage in reserve is nice, we aren't going to sniff the playoffs if he has to see a lot of playing time. He keeps us from tanking but at this point its winning season/playoffs or bust. As far as the Vikings go, as long as Sage knows he is the starter he should succeed there. He really had a nice year the first time Schaub went down. He went overboard this last season against the Colts because he was thinking about trying to win the starting job, not the game. If he has the job secured, not to mention that stingy D in Minnesota, he will be a good solid QB.

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
j3_hi7gOjE0

That's gold. And probably the most important contribution he'll ever make to the game.

CashmoneyDrew
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Hmmmm, If Sage "Failcopter" Rosenfels can fetch a 4th rounder, I wonder what ole VY could net us?

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm, If Sage "Failcopter" Rosenfels can fetch a 4th rounder, I wonder what ole VY could net us?

A months prescription of Prozac and a 7th rounder.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
wow....

i rather roll the dice on Jeff Garcia. this makes no sense to me.

CashmoneyDrew
02-23-2009, 01:54 PM
A months prescription of Prozac and a 7th rounder.

Done and done.

Menardo75
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Sadley enough Sage is probably and upgrade as of right now over what they have.

umphrey
02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Well this is an upgrade but I'm glad their standards are so low that they'll trade for Rosenfels

wicket
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM

do you remember that minor leaguer that was traded for a bunch of bats?

mqtirishfan
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
And the Vikings are now out of the market for a QB. :D

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Dear Vikings,

Please continue to address your QB position with a combination of Tjack and s Vets who are best remembered for head butting walls and helicoptering fumbles until AD is 30. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Titletown.

MetSox17
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
do you remember that minor leaguer that was traded for a bunch of bats?

This really made me laugh. Good stuff. I'll rep you once i can.

As for the story, you can't help but chuckle if you're a Vikings fan. Sage mother f'ing Rosenfels? Seriously? Geez, what the hell are they thinking? These stop gap QBs are never gonna win any games for them. I don't wanna hear the "He doesn't need to win, just not lose" crap. Last year there was plenty of times the Vikings could have put a game away or beat the team they were playing and didn't because of horrible quarterback play. The easiest example is the Colts game. This is embarrassing.

keylime_5
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Houston will be needing a backup veteran QB badly now. Minnesota manages to upgrade over Frerotte, but they still need a young QB to develop for the future. Josh Freeman could be a fit at #22.

FuzzyGopher
02-23-2009, 04:05 PM
This really made me laugh. Good stuff. I'll rep you once i can.

As for the story, you can't help but chuckle if you're a Vikings fan. Sage mother f'ing Rosenfels? Seriously? Geez, what the hell are they thinking? These stop gap QBs are never gonna win any games for them. I don't wanna hear the "He doesn't need to win, just not lose" crap. Last year there was plenty of times the Vikings could have put a game away or beat the team they were playing and didn't because of horrible quarterback play. The easiest example is the Colts game. This is embarrassing.

I would be fine with stop gap QBs if we would actually get a guy with a high ceiling. But no, Chilly seems content waiting for Jackson to develop into something he is not. He is putting all his eggs in one basket with Jackson and it is going to cost him his job.

bored of education
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Brodie Croyle to Houston for a 1986 Transformers Aluminum Lunchbox

Brodeur
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Brodie Croyle to Houston for a 1986 Transformers Aluminum Lunchbox

So that when Schaub gets injured in 3 games they can have a guy that gets injured even quicker? I like it.

Cocelesti
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I wonder what Houston chooses to do now? And is not sure Rosensfels is the solution in Minnesota.

MidwayMonster31
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice job Minnesota. Keep trying to win with one crappy veteran after another. Waste the best running back, run defense and pass rusher. That way all we have to talk about is their wasted potential.

Shane P. Hallam
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
It isn't done yet. Houston wants a third (which Minny offered last year,) the Viks are offering a 5th. I still wouldn't be surprised if Houston stands stubborn.

Cocelesti
02-23-2009, 04:34 PM
It isn't done yet. Houston wants a third (which Minny offered last year,) the Viks are offering a 5th. I still wouldn't be surprised if Houston stands stubborn.

It will probably be a fourth round pick as it looks right now. I still think a third round pick will be too much for them ...

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 04:34 PM
wow....

i rather roll the dice on Jeff Garcia. this makes no sense to me.

My thoughts exactly. Sign Garcia, dump Jackson, keep Frerotte around as a true backup, draft a mid-round guy to develop a little behind Garcia for a season or two.....

Much smarter way to go than Rosenfels imo.

Shane P. Hallam
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
My thoughts exactly. Sign Garcia, dump Jackson, keep Frerotte around as a true backup, draft a mid-round guy to develop a little behind Garcia for a season or two.....

Much smarter way to go than Rosenfels imo.

What happens to David Booty?

I'd say get Garcia, keep trying to develop Jackson and Booty.

bored of education
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM

I love JDB! I hope he does not get lost in the shuffle. he is bound for greatness!

Shane P. Hallam
02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
It will probably be a fourth round pick as it looks right now. I still think a third round pick will be too much for them ...

I'm just saying, Houston wants a third. And they have shown to be stubborn with not accepting offers.

russie
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
i guess i'm fine with this. sage wont lead us to the super bowl, but at least we know he will lead us to a new coach

bored of education
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
i guess i'm fine with this. sage wont lead us to the super bowl, but at least we know he will lead us to a new coach

hahhaa another epic response!

NICE!

Cocelesti
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm just saying, Houston wants a third. And they have shown to be stubborn with not accepting offers.

Correct. I just think that price is too much compared to what they get.

OzTitan
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Please do this deal. I'm so sick of the Titans taking Schaub out of games, only to see Rosenfels come in and spearhead insane comebacks. The guy has a knack for killing the Titans.

The Rosencopter needs to take flight.

IceKubes
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Please do this deal. I'm so sick of the Titans taking Schaub out of games, only to see Rosenfels come in and spearhead insane comebacks. The guy has a knack for killing the Titans.

The Rosencopter needs to take flight.

This is how I feel about Haynesworth, get em both out of the AFC South and I'll be a happy camper.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
This is how I feel about Haynesworth, get em both out of the AFC South and I'll be a happy camper.

Agreed. As a pseudo Colts fan the first player I want far away is Haynesworth and the second is Sage Rosenf...

Wait, what?

russie
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/djayking/Friechilly.jpg

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Forgot all about Booty.....alright. Remove the rook from my previous suggestion then. And with Jackson, I feel like Frerotte is the better game-manager backup type. I'd like him more if he had to just sub in for a game or two rather than Jackson.

Vikes99ej
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
If we do this, then we ******* better be planning to draft a QB in the first round.

Splat
02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Man you know its the slow time of year when a thread on Sage Rosenfels goes 3 pages...

russie
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Man you know its the slow time of year when a thread on Sage Rosenfels goes 3 pages...

yeah, but once free agency starts, alot of teams can start talking **** about finally getting that missing piece

neko4
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Why do they want another borderline starting QB? Do they think stockpilling QB's is the way to go?

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Why do they want another borderline starting QB? Do they think stockpilling QB's is the way to go?
they gonna cut Childress and hire Gruden!

Splat

That's what i'd do signed Jon Gruden.

BeerBaron

The Gruden approach, lol.

Splat
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM

You beat me to it.

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM

That's what i'd do signed Jon Gruden.

The Gruden approach, lol.

All in the same minute, haha....oh Gruden...you'd better get back to the NFL soon or we'll lose one of our best running jokes.

nepg
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
A little suprising as Scaub has missed time each of the last two years, but still an decent move, it shows your commitment to your starting QB and should give you another talented guy to put on the field. Might also give them the confidence to take a flyer on a guy like Pat White if he's willing to play a slash/wildcat role to get his foot in the door.

I don't think it shows commitment to Schaub as much as it shows the Texans getting amazing trade value for Rosenfels. The Texans will be looking for a potential replacement for Schaub in this draft. They have an option to make this Schaub's last year.

There's a $10m option at the end of this year for the remaining 3 years on his contract... I really think the Texans are going to be looking for a potential starter.
________
California medical marijuana dispensaries (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
All in the same minute, haha....oh Gruden...you'd better get back to the NFL soon or we'll lose one of our best running jokes.
I win, u fail

Shane P. Hallam
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't think it shows commitment to Schaub as much as it shows the Texans getting amazing trade value for Rosenfels. The Texans will be looking for a potential replacement for Schaub in this draft. They have an option to make this Schaub's last year.

There's a $10m option at the end of this year for the remaining 3 years on his contract... I really think the Texans are going to be looking for a potential starter.

Then why didn't the Texans trade him last year when the Viks offered a 3rd? lol.

Splat
02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
So Alt fans who are the two players you guys drafted for the picks you got for Schaub I'm not sure?

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
If we do this, then we ******* better be planning to draft a QB in the first round.

Who? Freeman...?

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
So Alt fans who are the two players you guys drafted for the picks you got for Schaub I'm not sure?
i think someone like Blalock and Houston

Shane P. Hallam
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Essentially, half of Sam Baker (pick included in deal to Washington to get him), a small piece of Jamaal Anderson (moved up two spots and got him), and Justin Blalock (the 2nd rounder straight from Houston).

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
ATL moved up for Anderson?

Shane P. Hallam
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
ATL moved up for Anderson?

Not FOR him, but the trade with Schaub moved them from 10 to 8 as well as getting 2 second rounders (one in 07, one in 08)

nepg
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Then why didn't the Texans trade him last year when the Viks offered a 3rd? lol.

Stupid move on the Texans' part. They could've had a potential starter out of the 2008 class. They probably kept Sage because they weren't sure of Schaub's health and thought Rosenfels might be their starter. They smartly gave up on that idea this off-season. Also, they probably weren't thinking of getting rid of Schaub last year, so they needed a viable back-up to keep them in the playoff hunt.

Sage is such a piece of trash though... He's just like Frerrotte and Kelly Holcomb. He's great when he's trying to prove himself in a backup role, but as soon as he's the man, he falls apart.

JD Booty is their best option (and actually a pretty good one to be quite honest) at QB. He'll make accurate throws and keep them in a position to win games. Might even make some plays while he's at it as he gets comfortable. Booty never got a chance to get comfortable at USC. He was backing up Leinart, and by the time he got done doing that, he had Mark Sanchez breathing down his neck...
________
VAPOR GENIE VAPORIZER REVIEW (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
wait so after one year when Schaub was prolly the best QB that franchise had ( yea i know) they wanted to get rid of him?

Do u actually have anything to back that up

Menardo75
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Josh Freeman here they come.

MetSox17
02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Who? Freeman...?

The way Sanchez allowed himself to get picked apart this week might open the door for him being available to Minnesota when they pick. If he were to be there, i'd be extremely surprised if they didn't take him.

JFLO
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
What honestly is going through the mind of Spielman and Childress when they are making any decisions concerning the quarterback position?

What improvement would Sage Rosenfels bring?

He'll be an improvement, but at what extent? The name Gus Freotte comes to mind.

nepg
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
wait so after one year when Schaub was prolly the best QB that franchise had ( yea i know) they wanted to get rid of him?

Do u actually have anything to back that up

He's missed 10 games, and they're 6-4 without him, 10-12 with him. With a massive chunk of salary coming up on him, why wouldn't they be looking at new options? They'd be stupid not to be looking for a new QB who could potentially start for them.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

BuckNaked
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm too filled with hate and rage to settle down and come up with a wide variety of ways that I'm going to physically inflict pain upon Brad Childress.

BamaFalcon59
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I would keep Tarvaris Jackson. He looked improved last season.

MetSox17
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
He's missed 10 games, and they're 6-4 without him, 10-12 with him. With a massive chunk of salary coming up on him, why wouldn't they be looking at new options? They'd be stupid not to be looking for a new QB who could potentially start for them.

You always try to improve your team, but it would be silly to think that Schaub will not be there for the next few years. First off, there isn't anyone they can bring in that can start immediately in front of him that would produce at a higher level than he will. Second, they invested a lot of money and draft picks into him, why would they give up on him so soon? He's a very good player, and probably the biggest reason why the Texans are on the up-swing.

IceKubes
02-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Oh please, if you want to turn this into a Schaub bashing thread take it elsewhere. Throwing out the starting record of a team and basing your opinion of a QB on it is so narrow sighted, but if you feel like it, he was 6-2 as a starter in his last 8. He also played lights out down the stretch, just about as good as any QB in the league. If you think QBs like that just grow on trees you are crazy.

Bengalsrocket
02-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Yah I wouldn't trash Schaub yet. If he can stay on the field, the texans will have a pretty sick offense.

Vikes99ej
02-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Hahahahahahahaha

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Hahahahahahahaha

I agree with this laughter.

See: Wildcard Game.

MetSox17
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Funny you post that. About two minutes ago i repped Vikes saying i approved of his laughter. Weird.

princefielder28
02-23-2009, 08:20 PM

See: Wildcard Game.

Jump pass FTW!

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Hahahahahahahaha

When you look at the stats from last season ( granted Tjack didn't play all the games) Jackson was the better QB. He did that while being younger and less experienced as well.

I'm fine with the vikings using either one all season long however.

BeerBaron
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
When you look at the stats from last season ( granted Tjack didn't play all the games) Jackson was the better QB. He did that while being younger and less experienced as well.

I'm fine with the vikings using either one all season long however.

Even Rexy had a few games with a near perfect QB rating....brought his averages up some, lol.

TitleTown088
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Even Rexy had a few games with a near perfect QB rating....brought his averages up some, lol.

Averages aren't the only thing of the cum slinger's that inflated because of those perfect games.

nepg
02-23-2009, 09:40 PM
You always try to improve your team, but it would be silly to think that Schaub will not be there for the next few years. First off, there isn't anyone they can bring in that can start immediately in front of him that would produce at a higher level than he will. Second, they invested a lot of money and draft picks into him, why would they give up on him so soon? He's a very good player, and probably the biggest reason why the Texans are on the up-swing.

What upswing? They're 16-16 the last two years with consecutive 8-8 records. It's better than the 8-24 they were the two years prior, but c'mon... Schaub is great for that offense, but the improvement to the OL and (subsequently) running game is why they made the jump to mediocre from awful.

Schaub's too fragile. He always has been. When your starting QB is only on the field for 69% of your games (at best), that's not good! You want to go ahead and invest $10m up front for another 3 years of a guy who hasn't been able to play more than 11 games in a season on a team that's trying to rise to power in the AFC South?

I love Schaub, but the Texans seriously need to be looking for someone else, and unless he goes through 2009 with a perfectly clean bill of health, he's (unfortunately) gotta go...
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

FuzzyGopher
02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Jump pass FTW!

Jump tackle FTL.

GB12
02-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Vikings try to improve their QB situation by trading for a younger Gus Frerotte.

Sounds about right.

lordquas
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
dumb vikings.

draft Freeman.

holt_bruce81
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
dumb vikings.

draft Freeman.

Probably don't want to give up on TJ. So they're not going waste a 1st round pick on a Quarterback.

vikes_28
02-23-2009, 10:57 PM
dumb vikings.

draft Freeman.

NO. ANYTHING, BUT THAT. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT DRAFT FREEMAN. Freeman is a fat, slow, overrated qb. Not good for the vikings. No sir I don't like it...

PackerLegend
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
If there was ever a time FAIL applys to a situation now would be that time.

Hey Im not one to complain though. Looks pretty good for the rest of us. Now as long as Childress continues to not give AD the ball as much as he should against GB!

vikes_28
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Screw you PackerLegend! :D

DHVF
02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
If there was ever a time FAIL applys to a situation now would be that time.

Hey Im not one to complain though. Looks pretty good for the rest of us. Now as long as Childress continues to not give AD the ball as much as he should against GB!
Well to be honest, giving up a 4th round draft choice for a guy that is proven to be a very capable backup quarterback isn't exactly what I would consider FAIL material. I mean I don't personally care for this potential move, its really not that big of a deal as long as we don't expect him to be anything more than a capable backup.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Well to be honest, giving up a 4th round draft choice for a guy that is proven to be a very capable backup quarterback isn't exactly what I would consider FAIL material. I mean I don't personally care for this potential move, its really not that big of a deal as long as we don't expect him to be anything more than a capable backup.

Great point.

We love 4th rounders because we are draftniks but the success rate is probably well under 50% for fourth round picks.

The stomach punch the Vikes fans are feeling is probably because they feel they are so close and feel they are a good QB away from contending for a ring and this move isn't the one they wanted. Maybe they still do go after Garcia or Cassel? Who knows?

If not, have fun with Sage- just make sure you teach him how to slide.

BlindSite
02-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't mind the idea, after all he was relatively useful and lets face it, the Vikings are really in the market for someone who can throw 15-20 passes and not turn over the ball a lot while the D and the RBs do the heavy lifting.

Jackson was a bad target from the get-go and the Vick idea is probably even worse. I thought they might have showed some interest in Troy Smith or Derek Anderson, even though they come from different pro systems to the west coast.

The_Dude
02-24-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm too filled with hate and rage to settle down and come up with a wide variety of ways that I'm going to physically inflict pain upon Brad Childress.

I'll help... i hate that man.

On the bright side, i have to agree with russie (note the brand new sig quote) & i bet that the "Little General" will only last 2/3rds of the season if Rosenfels is, indeed our starting QB.

This will coincidentally be just in time to film the Major Dad Reunion Show, so that's good news for him!

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/nerickson_photo/6a00d8341c669c53ef0105361deac9970c-.jpg

Addict
02-24-2009, 03:07 AM

improved is the key word here. He went from Abysmal to Very Bad.

vikes_28
02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
The Vikings need a game manager. Not an all-star quarterback. I think Rosenfels can handle that at least.

I can hope that they still go for Cassel or Garcia right?

NY+Giants=NYG
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I have to wait and see on this. It's not like a team wakes up and makes this decision. I am guessing they watched alot of tape of him, and studied him really in depth to come up with the idea to trade for him, and incorporate him in the WCO. All he has to do is stick to the reads and he will be fine. I am guessing the stuff they saw on tape confirmed all this.

So I will have to wait and see how he does, especially during pre season games after he learns the system.

FuzzyGopher
02-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I have to wait and see on this. It's not like a team wakes up and makes this decision. I am guessing they watched alot of tape of him, and studied him really in depth to come up with the idea to trade for him, and incorporate him in the WCO. All he has to do is stick to the reads and he will be fine. I am guessing the stuff they saw on tape confirmed all this.

So I will have to wait and see how he does, especially during pre season games after he learns the system.

The Vikings actually pursued him last offseason as well, but the Texans wanted a 2nd rounder. So yeah I think they have taken a nice long look at him and like what they see.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
The Vikings actually pursued him last offseason as well, but the Texans wanted a 2nd rounder. So yeah I think they have taken a nice long look at him and like what they see.

Then I'd be confident that they did their hw when it came to him vs other guys to run the WCO like Garcia. They must have seen something on film that made then decide to go after him instead of Garcia.

FuzzyGopher
02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
It's one of those moves that nobody even thought was an option. Everyone thought it would be Garcia, Cassel, Warner or a rookie. I know I'm shocked and I think other fans are as well, but I guess we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Mr.Regular
02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
It is only a 4th, so I guess it could be worth it?!
Im trying to see their line of thinking on this one....

NY+Giants=NYG
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
It's one of those moves that nobody even thought was an option. Everyone thought it would be Garcia, Cassel, Warner or a rookie. I know I'm shocked and I think other fans are as well, but I guess we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Yeah I figured it would be Garcia, not really Cassel, and def. not Warner. Warner is a Air Coryell guy, and wouldn't see him as a WCO offense guy. That would have been very suprising.

MetSox17
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
What upswing? They're 16-16 the last two years with consecutive 8-8 records. It's better than the 8-24 they were the two years prior, but c'mon... Schaub is great for that offense, but the improvement to the OL and (subsequently) running game is why they made the jump to mediocre from awful.

Schaub's too fragile. He always has been. When your starting QB is only on the field for 69% of your games (at best), that's not good! You want to go ahead and invest $10m up front for another 3 years of a guy who hasn't been able to play more than 11 games in a season on a team that's trying to rise to power in the AFC South?

I love Schaub, but the Texans seriously need to be looking for someone else, and unless he goes through 2009 with a perfectly clean bill of health, he's (unfortunately) gotta go...

And if you're Houston, what are you gonna do? Unless there's a team out there willing to trade their commodity at quarterback, you're screwed and stuck with what you got (which isn't a horrible option). Schaub is good, and the improving OL and running game (like you mentioned) will only help him perform better. What would you do? Draft a quarterback and release Schaub? You're back at step one. Houston can only go forward from here, and getting rid of Schaub for anything less would be a huge step back.

The Dynasty
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
SAGE TO SAIL TO VIKINGS
Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2009, 10:39 a.m. EST

As it turns out, the Vikings will have an Iowa native playing quarterback in 2009. As it turns out, it won’t be the Iowa native that some had envisioned.

The Houston Chronicle reports that, a year after the Texans nearly traded quarterback Sage Rosenfels to the Vikings, the deal is going down.

Rosenfels will head to Minnesota for a fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft.

The trade will be finalized on Friday, the first day of the league year and the first day on which trades can be made.

Rosenfels grew up in Iowa and played at Iowa State. The move means that fellow Iowa native, Kurt Warner, most likely won’t be landing in Minnesota.

Signed through 2009 at a salary of $1.35 million, Rosenfels likely will be agreeing to a new contract as part of the transaction.

So its likes its all done just need to wait for Free agency to start to get it done. Can't be upset with it he is an upgrade over what we have and will bring competition to the QB core we have. The vikings did a get a taste of Sage last year when Schaub went down and He went like 224 yards and 2 td and a Pick on them.

Vikes99ej
02-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I start getting all pissed off and that, but then I look at the other underrated pickups like Chester Taylor, Ben Leber, and Shaincoe. I understand this position carries more importance, but I'm going to keep the pitchfork stored for now.

Halsey
02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
The Vikings kinda seem like they're playing it cheap with their QB to me. I know a lot of fans think teams just need a QB who won't lose games, but there's a reason organizations like the Steelers, Giants, Colts, Eagles, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, etc spend big money and high picks on their QB position.

IceKubes
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
The Vikings need a game manager. Not an all-star quarterback. I think Rosenfels can handle that at least.

I can hope that they still go for Cassel or Garcia right?

I doubt Sage is going to be a game manager type of QB. If you haven't seen him play the last couple years the best advice I would have is take a look at his completion percentage and YPA. Both are very high. He goes down field and really makes a ton of big plays. Unfortunately he takes so many risks that he will throw his fair share of boneheaded picks. Hes a gunslinger. If he is the starter from day 1 and feels secure about that he might tone it down a bit but he won't change too much. He is who he is. For a fourth rounder the potential reward is greater than the risk. For the Texans, might as well get a draft pick while hes still under contract.

LonghornsLegend
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I think he'll do wonders for Sidney Rice, he's always had potential for 1000 yards and double digit TD's, with somebody tossing the rock around he'll breakout, he's money in the red zone with jumpballs.

TitleTown088
02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I think he'll do wonders for Sidney Rice, he's always had potential for 1000 yards and double digit TD's, with somebody tossing the rock around he'll breakout, he's money in the red zone with jumpballs.

Yeah, he had someone named Andre to work with in Houston, but its Sidney Rice that will help him turn the corner alright.

Brodeur
02-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Look at the difference between AJ with Schaub vs AJ with Rosenfels and say that.

Vikes99ej
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Sidney Rice is a China-doll.

wogitalia
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Sidney Rice is a China-doll.

Unfortunately that is looking to be true. That said, he is a very talented China-doll, maybe if we can find some kind of revolutionary adhesive to hold him together...

Shane P. Hallam
02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Just an FYI:

The Vikings are expected to release Gus Frerotte if they complete their acquisition of Sage Rosenfels.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6279451.html

comahan
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Bottom line is, Sage had 1 year left on his deal (which is why the price is lower this year than last), and Houston can go out and sign someone just as good as Sage to backup Schaub, and make sure that hes there for more than one year, and they get a 4th rounder out of it.

Shane P. Hallam
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I guess we will see on Friday if they do it!

MetSox17
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Bottom line is, Sage had 1 year left on his deal (which is why the price is lower this year than last), and Houston can go out and sign someone just as good as Sage to backup Schaub, and make sure that hes there for more than one year, and they get a 4th rounder out of it.

Everyone is praising Houston for their ability to get something for a backup. Minnesota is who is being trashed, not Houston.

vikes_28
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM
It's official...