PDA

View Full Version : Question about Parcells and the Dolphin's Draft

The U
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Parcell's love for drafting defensive players in the first round is no secret. Mock Drafts and "Team Needs" articles all over the web have 3-4 OLB as our pick and primary concern. As a Dolphins fan, I believe this to be true but I haven't been able to help but notice that there has been zero mention about Cameron Wake, the CFL beast that the Dolphins aquired about a month ago. We have no idea what Parcells has in mind for him in terms of playing time, but every article after the aquisition had experts saying he was of starting caliber. Does this not change anything about which direction Parcells takes in the draft?

bored of education
02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Parcell's love for drafting defensive players in the first round is no secret. Mock Drafts and "Team Needs" articles all over the web have 3-4 OLB as our pick and primary concern. As a Dolphins fan, I believe this to be true but I haven't been able to help but notice that there has been zero mention about Cameron Wake, the CFL beast that the Dolphins aquired about a month ago. We have no idea what Parcells has in mind for him in terms of playing time, but every article after the aquisition had experts saying he was of starting caliber. Does this not change anything about which direction Parcells takes in the draft?

Not at all. He is just as unknown as a mid to late round pick. No one knows how his skillset will translate in the NFL.

Giantsfan1080
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I see WR as being a pretty big concern for the Dolphins as well. With the great WR class this year it wouldn't totally shock me if Parcells went that way.

Go_Eagles77
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't think anyone cares much about Wake, just because he was a beast in the CFL doesn't even mean he's gonna make the dolphin's practice squad, let alone make the team and have the value of a 1st rounder.

gramage
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
While I love my CFL, and it has developed some quarterbacks and defensive backs, I don't think anyone has ever gone on to become a productive front 7 player in the NFL.

superman
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
if i were them, i'd make the pick nicks or an olb

Babylon
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
if i were them, i'd make the pick nicks or an olb

Or both. You could take the WR in round 1 and hope that in round 2 you have a chance at Matthews, Sintum and Barwin.

dolphinfan2k5
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't think anyone cares much about Wake, just because he was a beast in the CFL doesn't even mean he's gonna make the dolphin's practice squad, let alone make the team and have the value of a 1st rounder.

We signed him to a four year deal I believe, I'm fairly sure he'll make more than just the practice squad. However, I don't think he'll start right away, and he'll have to prove his worth on special teams. I think he'll effect our later picks a lot more than our first and second rounders.

superman
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Or both. You could take the WR in round 1 and hope that in round 2 you have a chance at Matthews, Sintum and Barwin.

yeah, if they come out of the 1st two rounds with a cb, olb, and wr i will be a happy man

nepg
02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I think the Dolphins nab Clay Matthews if he's there. Parcells loves multi-gen players, and Matthews got where he's at with hard work and determination on top of turning out to have some great physical and athletic gifts... Perfect Parcells player.
________
xTastyJessx cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/xTastyJessx)

02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
While I love my CFL, and it has developed some quarterbacks and defensive backs, I don't think anyone has ever gone on to become a productive front 7 player in the NFL.

Bertrand Berry turned out alright.

As for Wake, I remember hearing of his 45' vertical. Dude's an athletic freak I'd certainly watch out for. He may not start right away, but he should contribute at some point in the season.

eaglesalltheway
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
We signed him to a four year deal I believe, I'm fairly sure he'll make more than just the practice squad. However, I don't think he'll start right away, and he'll have to prove his worth on special teams. I think he'll effect our later picks a lot more than our first and second rounders.

The Eagles signed two CFL guys to 3 year deals a month ago, and there is very little chance they effect the Eagles' draft plans. That 4 year contract can probably just as easily be voided if he doesn't pan out...

02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
The Eagles signed two CFL guys to 3 year deals a month ago, and there is very little chance they effect the Eagles' draft plans. That 4 year contract can probably just as easily be voided if he doesn't pan out...

One of those guys, Byron Parker, I used to see around my campus a lot where the Argos practice. He's another athletic freak (43' vertical and NCAA slam dunk champ), but unlike Wake I don't see him amounting to very much.

eaglesalltheway
02-23-2009, 06:05 PM
One of those guys, Byron Parker, I used to see around my campus a lot where the Argos practice. He's another athletic freak (43' vertical and NCAA slam dunk champ), but unlike Wake I don't see him amounting to very much.

Both seem like Training camp competition if you ask me, but Parker does seem like he might make a practice squad possibly...

kwilk103
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
i've read a couple articles stating parcells likes pat white

D-Unit
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Who is Bill "Parcell"? :D

Didn't Parcells draft Jake Long as recently as last year? Didn't he also draft Pennington, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, etc etc...? I might be wrong, but I don't believe Parcells only drafts defensive players in round 1.

dolphinfan2k5
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM

I agree that the contract probably gives us plenty of outs, but there were a number of teams willing to put deals on the table for Wake. If we ever put him on our practice squad he's pretty much as good as gone.

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I think Miami should take Robiske in the 2nd, he's a good compliment to Ginn and he seems like the type of WR Parcells would want on his team...Good value too.

superman
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I think Miami should take Robiske in the 2nd, he's a good compliment to Ginn and he seems like the type of WR Parcells would want on his team...Good value too.

agreed if they don't go nicks

Iamcanadian
02-23-2009, 10:59 PM

You'll probably find that he has very little guaranteed money in that deal and that he could be cut at any time with minimal cap consequences. Every year some Canadian league star signs with a NFL team and by mid season he's back playing in the CFL. There definitely are exceptions but it is very rare that they stick in the NFL.