PDA

View Full Version : Why so many disappointments?

foozball
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Seems like there are a TON of guys who didn't do as well as they were expected to do. Moreno, Maybin, Wells...alot of top guys just didn't perform. Why so many this year?

Babylon
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Seems like there are a TON of guys who didn't do as well as they were expected to do. Moreno, Maybin, Wells...alot of top guys just didn't perform. Why so many this year?

There were others, Pettigrew didnt run as expected. Oher looked weak, Laurinaitis and Maualuga were somewhat exposed along with the guys you mentioned. It boils down to watching tape, if they can play they can play. Some just didnt measure up.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I wasn't really expecting Pettigrew to run well.

D-Unit
02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
There are bigger steroid fears now than there used to be.

Shane P. Hallam
I wasn't really expecting Pettigrew to run well.

Ya, he isn't meant to be fast, but he has sick hands.

I think this is just a class full of a lot of very very good players, and not many workout warriors. Combine with that with the intense workout warriors last year (Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, DJax, etc,) it just makes for people expecting times like last year.

bored of education
The less toonsterwu posts the worse the prospects become!

underscore
02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Is it me or are 40 times, overall, slower than last year.

wonderbredd24
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Personally, I think that this stadium's track is slower than the RCA dome.

PossibleCabbage
02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
There's a general tendency for people to always think the current draft is going to be better than the last one; since we're always excited about the new guys and we're just coming off of watching the rookies generally not live up to the highest of expectations we had for them (with a few notable exceptions). Since we're always looking for "this will be the best draft ever" and some drafts just aren't going to deliver on that, at some point in the pre-draft rigmarole people will come realize that they had overvalued a number of players. Personally, I haven't really been terribly disappointed by many players, but I also didn't think this was going to be a great draft (at least at the top for the shiny positions, there's some decent depth). Moreno running as poorly as he did was a little disappointing, since I was thinking he was a mid-teens player, but other than that people did kind of how I thought they would.

But if you're disappointed by a guy, it's entirely plausible that you simply expected too much from him. Anybody who was expecting Maualuga to run a 4.4 (for example) was simply going to end up disappointed; there's nothing we can do about that.

Texas Homer
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
I still like Maybin and Wells.

gpngc
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Thing no one is talking about with Moreno is that he had the 2nd best 3-cone.

His 40 is still disappointing, but I'm just saying...

With Wells we were hoping for some stupid Ronnie Brown time but really his draft status shouldn't be affected much by his 40. He's not a burner, we all knew it.

I guess Maybin's performance was a little disappointing too but you can also spin it like this- look how quick his first step is and how good he is getting to the QB when he really isn't even that fast...

Anyone saying Maclin running a 4.40 is disappointing is just reaching. 4.40 is REALLY, REALLY fast.

Donald Brown put on a show, and a bunch of 300+ guys ran under and around 5.0. That's darn impressive.

Plus one of the top groups is always the DBs and they go tomorrow.

nepg
02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I think this draft class just isn't that great compared to recent drafts. The OT's are amazing, and there are some fun TE's, but overall it's not a very good draft.
________
Vaporizer Information (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
02-23-2009, 05:49 PM

people who thought Moreno would run a 4.4 must have never watched him play.

the low 4.5's is where he was expected at 208 lbs.....he was up to 217...and still recorded a low 4.5......

superman
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
for every disappointment, there's a guy that did better than expected too though

Babylon
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM

the low 4.5's is where he was expected at 208 lbs.....he was up to 217...and still recorded a low 4.5......

I think he was high 4.5s low 4.6s but i agree with you. People are in fantasy land about what their favorite players are going to run. I could have told you what Moreno and Wells were going to run having watched them play. Aaron Maybin was fast for a DE but it changed when his times were compared to LBs. Not sure why it's that difficult.

BuffaloBillsDraft
02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
It was only a disappointment because there were no big name players.

The best player at the combine is Aaron Curry and he is not a big name.

Next year will be a crazy combine.

Scott Wright
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe this just isn't as good of a draft as some people think it is...

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
The less toonsterwu posts the worse the prospects become!
i think the thread ended here

DeathbyStat
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I still like Maybin and Wells.

I still dislike Maybin and Wells

The combine in many ways just makes you like are dislike prospects more or less according to what you thought of them before the combine

If you loved a guy before the combine and he blew it up you will love him even more.

If he did poorly your still going to love him

kiranadwaney
02-23-2009, 07:50 PM

he ran a 4.61. so i think that was a little unexpected. a low 4.5 would have been good but a 4.61 will mean moreno will drop down many draft boards

Kase1
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
There are bigger steroid fears now than there used to be.

Brian Cushing, the biggest steroid fear since Jose Canseco

sodar21
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Different track?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Many of these guys are overrated to begin, they didn't disappoint per say, but had way too high expectations coming in. The draftniks as a whole were probably spoiled from last years' ridiculous showing. Many of these players' stocks are inflated due to the weak class in terms of top talent as well.

JFLO
02-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Maybe people are expecting too much?

TACKLE
02-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Your totally right. As a whole, this is one of the weaker I've seen. Lesser prospects means lesser athletes.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Brian Cushing, the biggest steroid fear since Jose Canseco

The differance is when Conseco was taking roids MLB wasnt drug testing and USC does. How did Cushing fool all those drug tests?

superman
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
The differance is when Conseco was taking roids MLB wasnt drug testing and USC does. How did Cushing fool all those drug tests?
he started

i'm jk, i don't think he was taking roids. prob every other legal performance enhancer possible though.

wonderbredd24
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM

I'm sure Shawn Merriman took piss tests too.

Ever see The Program?

I suppose you could be right and he was accidentally mixing estrogen into his supplements. That would explain the massive mammories

ElectricEye
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
The 40 times are defiantly higher than I expected personally. Might have a bit to do with the track. We probably won't know for a few years.

PossibleCabbage
02-23-2009, 09:57 PM

Don't mean to brown nose the site owner, but that's pretty much it. This draft isn't a draft with a lot of "immediate star power". You'll still get a lot of good players out of all seven rounds, but there just won't be guys that blow the doors off right away like some years.

I think this is just one of those years where who succeeds in the NFL is going to come down more to "who shows up to training camp and really wants it" and less to "who has incredible athleticism or historic college productivity."

There's a tendency to try to equate all the "#1 QBs" and the "#1 RBs", when the fact of the matter is that Stafford is not Matt Ryan and Chris Wells is not Adrian Peterson. Doesn't mean Stafford and Wells are bad players, they're just not as good as some other people who were drafted high at their positions that came before them.

Iamcanadian
02-23-2009, 10:52 PM
If it looks like a rat and smell like a rat, it must be a rat. Obviously this draft year is going to be rather weak especially with Crabtree and Andre Smith having problems. Those 2 and Curry appear to be the only 3 that carried possible elite type rankings prior to the combine and now Curry is the only one left standing.
For awhile I thought Stafford and Sanchez could save this draft but now I'm not so sure. Looks to me that whether you draft #1 overall or #12-15, you might be looking at prospect carrying very simular rankings. Not a lot to chose between them.

JLaw45
02-23-2009, 10:59 PM
As a whole, I think some positions in this years draft were quite disappointing. Running backs on the whole this year weren't nearly as impressive as last years group and you had big names like Tyrell Sutton running 4.7s at 5'10" 210, and slower than expected times form the stars like Moreno.

Babylon
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
If it looks like a rat and smell like a rat, it must be a rat. Obviously this draft year is going to be rather weak especially with Crabtree and Andre Smith having problems. Those 2 and Curry appear to be the only 3 that carried possible elite type rankings prior to the combine and now Curry is the only one left standing.
For awhile I thought Stafford and Sanchez could save this draft but now I'm not so sure. Looks to me that whether you draft #1 overall or #12-15, you might be looking at prospect carrying very simular rankings. Not a lot to chose between them.

Stafford not throwing at the combine doesnt lessen his stock one bit. My only hope is GMs have the same mindset as fans and he drops to Seattle at #4.