PDA

View Full Version : Great DT 40 times

Solomon
02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Seeing how everybody seems to be down on this years RB crew due to poor 40 times. I just thought I would like to point out that this year's DT class performed very well in the 40:

Jarron Gilbert - 6-5, 288lbs, 4.87, 35.5 inch vert.
Mitch King - 6-1, 280lbs, 4.89
Ziggy Hood - 6-3, 300lbs, 4.91, 34 reps.
Dorell Scott - 6-3, 312, 4.92
Roy Miller - 6-1, 310lbs, 4.97, 36 reps.
Ra'Shon Harris - 6-4, 298lbs, 4.99
Corvey Irvin - 6-3, 301lbs, 4.99
Myron Pryor - 6-0, 319, 5.01
Sen'Derrick Marks - 6-2, 306lbs, 5.01
Chris Baker - 6-2, 326 lbs, 5.02 40, 35.5 inch vert.
Demonte Bolden - 6-3, 285lbs, 5.03
Alex Magee - 6-3, 298lbs, 5.05, 30 reps.
Khalif Mitchell - 6-5, 318lbs, 5.09, 30 reps.
Fili Moala - 6-4, 305, 5.09
Sammie Lee Hill - 6-4, 329lbs, 5.11
BJ Raji - 6-1, 337lbs, 5.13, 33 reps.
Terrance Knighton - 6-3, 321lbs, 5.18

There's been alot of talk throughout the year about how weak this year is for DTs but this might be an indication that there are quite a sleeper prospects at DT this year.

I think Sammie Lee Hill, Terrance Knighton, Khalif Mitchell and Jarron Gilbert have all flown under the radar and could all make an impact in the NFL. While productive major program players who were thought of as later round prospects (Roy Miller, Myron Pryor, Alex Magee)could sneak into the mid rounds after putting up nice measurables.

Maybe this DT class isn't as shallow as originally thought.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 11:33 PM
I agree that many of the DT numbers were impressive. I do have a question regarding their 40 times however. I could be wrong but doesn't it seem that most of the DT's 40 times "officially" were very similar to their "unofficial" times? Why so many changes to the WR's, RB's and DE's times when it seemed there wasn't much change made to the OL and DT's times? Or am I mistaken?

Iamcanadian
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
I agree that many of the DT numbers were impressive. I do have a question regarding their 40 times however. I could be wrong but doesn't it seem that most of the DT's 40 times "officially" were very similar to their "unofficial" times? Why so many changes to the WR's, RB's and DE's times when it seemed there wasn't much change made to the OL and DT's times? Or am I mistaken?

Officially is by the electronic timer so it really doesn't matter what the unofficial time was.

phlysac
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Officially is by the electronic timer so it really doesn't matter what the unofficial time was.

I understand, but that doesn't answer my question as to why there was such a discrepency in the WRs, RB,s and DE's times but not in the OL's and DTs etc. To be overdramatic it has basically seemed like whoops all of the RBs just got .8 slower but nope the DTs times were all correct the 1st time.

Or am I just imagining it?

DaBear89
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM
maybe b/c its harder to time DHB running down the track than BJ Raji???

SKim172
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM
A lot of people have suggested that NFL Network shaves time off the actual forties so people will get excited and tune in. And a fast DT just isn't as interesting as a WR breaking the speed record of the decade.

Texas Homer
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
I think some team is going to get a steal with DT Roy Miller.
Roy Miller - 6-1, 310lbs, 4.97, 36 reps. He is strong as a Bull. I think he will go between rounds 3-5.

I really like Ziggy Hood too.

wogitalia
02-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I understand, but that doesn't answer my question as to why there was such a discrepency in the WRs, RB,s and DE's times but not in the OL's and DTs etc. To be overdramatic it has basically seemed like whoops all of the RBs just got .8 slower but nope the DTs times were all correct the 1st time.

It is easier to time something the slower it is moving would be my explanation. If someone is covering more metres per second it is harder to get a precise timing on when he hits a certain point, creating a greater margin for error.

The DT position is looking a bit better after the combine, but I still think it is a weak position, these guys aren't running 40 yards, the bench numbers are nice though and some good explosive athletes, should be interesting to see how they fall, I think the majority are better prospects than their grades are showing right now, DT is very much the position where I think you are going to find a couple of pro bowlers in the later rounds. Doesn't help in comparison that last year had some very good prospects, which has made this one look weaker than it is.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Roy Miller - 6-1, 310lbs, 4.97, 36 reps. He is strong as a Bull. I think he will go between rounds 3-5.

I really really like Roy Miller, and would love the Eagles to get him in htat range, I have thought he is s sleeper for quite some time now, and he has good size, and could be the 4th DT we need. He would be a great fit as he can get penetration, but also has the strength to hold up in the run game.

Komp
02-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Roy Miller stood out for me in the Longhorn games I watched this season. My only question is if he is strong enough at the point of attack to handle NFL OG's and C's. He certainly looks the part tho, and I'd love to see the Raiders take a flyer on him in rds 3 or 4.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Roy Miller stood out for me in the Longhorn games I watched this season. My only question is if he is strong enough at the point of attack to handle NFL OG's and C's. He certainly looks the part tho, and I'd love to see the Raiders take a flyer on him in rds 3 or 4.

His bench will certainly help his cause to fight that evluation, but I think with good strength training, proper technique work, and good work ethic he could easily be able to work on that. He is a quick penetrator at DT and for some reason I think of Jay Ratliff. They are different bodies, with Miller weighing about 15 pounds more and being 2 or 3 inches shorter, but Ratliff, even though he played NT in the 3-4 for Dallas, was known primarily as a one-gap penetrator until this season, where he was able to hold up better at the POA. I think Roy Miller could be like Ratliff is for the Cowboys, though I think both are best suited for either DT in a 4-3 or DE in the 3-4, not nose in the 3-4.

rockio42
02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know how Sen'Derrick Marks did in drills...I can see his measurements and everything but I didn't catch him in the drills and I know he is a beast after watching him in 10/12 games this year but how did Ziggy look in drills...them seem to not show the same guys every time...

brat316
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
There is no point in putting up DT 40 time, I want to see the DT's 10 and 20 yard time. These guys actually play with their hand on the ground so those first 3-4 yards we want to see how explosive they are coming out of their stance for the 40

killxswitch
02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Dorrell Scott running a sub-5 40 at 312 lbs. was impressive to me. I would like him as part of the Colts NT rotation, how late do people see him going in the draft? Anyone catch any Clemson games this year?

Chio151
02-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Yes, Roy Miller is a 10-year pro to me. Very sturdy guy.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Dorrell Scott running a sub-5 40 at 312 lbs. was impressive to me. I would like him as part of the Colts NT rotation, how late do people see him going in the draft? Anyone catch any Clemson games this year?

He could go in that 4th-5th round range, I really like him a lot as well.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Athletically, DT looks like a depth position. Take it for what you will, but those big boys are moving much faster over 40 yards compared to most combine DT prospects.

At the least,many of these guys should be solid rotation players, a few starters, and I have no clue who will be the Pro Bowl types. Raji has the best shot, the rest are sleepers.

Jarron Gilbert, if that weight is correct, is a friggin cyborg!!

Put twenty-five more pounds on him, get him in the right system with good coaching, and the sky's the limit.

He's one of those guys where it's up to him how good he wants to be.

Solomon
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
There is no point in putting up DT 40 time, I want to see the DT's 10 and 20 yard time. These guys actually play with their hand on the ground so those first 3-4 yards we want to see how explosive they are coming out of their stance for the 40

A 40 time might not have any true game relevance for a DT but the fact that these DTs are running better 40s than in past classes suggests that this group is certainly more athletic than previously given credit for. These big guys aren't just cloggers in the middle they can run too.

Solomon
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Jarron Gilbert, if that weight is correct, is a friggin cyborg!!

Put twenty-five more pounds on him, get him in the right system with good coaching, and the sky's the limit.

He's one of those guys where it's up to him how good he wants to be.

I really don't see what made Kentwan Balmer a superior prospect last year to Gilbert this year. I think he is at least as good of a prospect and if a team needed a 3-4 end I don't see why they would pass on him in the second round.