PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys not gonna spent money in FA?

Gay Ork Wang
02-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team could be quiet in free agency this offseason because of the potential for an uncapped season in 2010.

Does that mean Dallas won’t pursue LB Ray Lewis, who is expected to soon hit the free-agent market?

“It would surprise me to see a big splash,” Jones told the Dallas Morning News.

The newspaper had more on the development:
The NFL is entering the last year of the salary cap under the current collective bargaining agreement, so Jones is getting ready for 2010, when he believes there won’t be a cap.
“That uncapped year has a lot of ramifications because it’s the initiation of no labor agreement at all,” Jones said Sunday during a break from the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. “That has a real impact in what you want to do in an uncapped year.
“You could burn your britches for the next five years if you’re not careful in an uncapped year.”
While Jones doesn’t expect a cap in 2010, rules are in place to keep teams from spending wildly then, such as a limited ability to sign players for teams that make the playoffs in 2009.

Lewis, the longtime anchor of the aggressive Baltimore Ravens defense, has expressed interest in playing for the Cowboys, according to Dallas LB DeMarcus Ware.

“When we played Ray Lewis and Baltimore at the end of the season,” Ware told the Cowboys’ website, “he came over and pointed to my helmet. He said, ‘I want to wear this star on my helmet, that’s my dream … that’s my dream.’ When we got to the Pro Bowl, he did it again.”

But after Jones’ latest statement, Lewis might not have the chance to live out that dream.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/cowboys-wont-pursue-lb-lewis/

Yatta!
02-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Just like they weren't gonna trade for a WR?

shane_man
02-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Just like they weren't gonna trade for a WR?

When were we not going to trade for a WR?

We don't have enough money under the salary cap to support a push for Ray Lewis in FA as well as the 11 odd draft picks we will have this year. As well as signing D.Ware to a longterm contract.

That was always going to be the problem with offering all those contract extensions last season. T.O's new contract which makes his cap figure for the coming year 9 MILL. Barber's new deal which was a gross overpayment. Flozell's new contract which saved money last year but will hurt us as the years go on due to his deteriorating play.

If we somehow get a deal with Ray Lewis done. I will be very very surprised.

Yatta!
02-24-2009, 06:18 AM
When were we not going to trade for a WR?

It was widely reported that Jones said that he was definitely not going to trade for a WR just a few days before getting Roy Williams.

But I remind you of this: Last year, days before he traded for wide receiver Roy Williams, he told me he wouldn't be trading for a wide receiver. So stay tuned.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Its a good thing English isn't your first language GOW;)...

This makes me a little relieved as an Eagles fan, though I won't be totally relieved until Ray signs on a team for sure. Ray would be scary for the NFC East teams, even though he isn't the player he was 2 or 3 years ago, he is still an elite ILB in any system, and would give the Cowboys that defender that would take that defense to the next level, potentially. But what scares me the most about him being a Cowboy are his leadership responsibilities. If the Cowboys have "that one guy" that will make everybody repsonsible for their actions, that could be the one thing that takes the Cowboys to the next level, and that isn't even factoring in him as a player. I will say this, if the Cowboys sign Ray Lewis in the off-season, I (and the rest of the Eagles, Giants, Skins fans) will not be a happy camper...

A Perfect Score
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Ray Lewis isnt going anywhere. Demarcus Ware is dreaming. Ray is staying put in baltimore :).

P-L
02-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Jerry Jones is saving his money for LeBron in 2010.

Matthew Jones
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Jerry Jones is saving his money for LeBron in 2010.

Oh God, that was funny. +rep.

Anyways, I don't really understand this. I'd rather get some players when there's still a cap, wouldn't the value be much better? When there's a cap, you don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for players, no? Next year would be the free agency I'd like to avoid.

The Legend
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
At the end of the day Cowboys will sign Ray Lewis.

MetSox17
02-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Ray Lewis basically came out and said he wasn't gonna play for anything less than his market value, so that pretty much shoots down any dreams us Cowboys fans might have of Lewis in a Cowboys uni. We all knew Dallas wasn't gonna spend much in FA this year, it's been known quite a while already. Chris Canty might walk for free because we won't afford him, so we might make a small signing to help shore up our bad d-line.

I really hope his dream really is to wear a star on his helmet, that way he can give us a small discount. God knows we need that type of leadership on this team.

thetedginnshow
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Ray Lewis basically came out and said he wasn't gonna play for anything less than his market value, so that pretty much shoots down any dreams us Cowboys fans might have of Lewis in a Cowboys uni. We all knew Dallas wasn't gonna spend much in FA this year, it's been known quite a while already. Chris Canty might walk for free because we won't afford him, so we might make a small signing to help shore up our bad d-line.

I really hope his dream really is to wear a star on his helmet, that way he can give us a small discount. God knows we need that type of leadership on this team.

Is Canty a UFA?

LonghornsLegend
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
*Insert Michael Vick/random convict to Cowboys joke*

Let's just get that out the way :)

MetSox17
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Is Canty a UFA?

I believe so, yes.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh God, that was funny. +rep.

Anyways, I don't really understand this. I'd rather get some players when there's still a cap, wouldn't the value be much better? When there's a cap, you don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for players, no? Next year would be the free agency I'd like to avoid.

But when your the cowboys and Jerry Jones, you can afford to pay for a good deal of those huge salaries, he's just going with the same strategy he would if the cap were in place for the next few years, just as I would do so you don't get screwed when its brought back...

MetSox17
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Jerry Jones won't overpay regardless of there being a cap or not. This year there just isn't many guys out there in our price range that could come in and make a bigger impact than the ones we already have. It makes no sense for Jerry to screw with the cap in hopes that there's an uncapped year next year, you just can't run that risk. We need to have that space for Ware, who will take a huge chunk of it pretty soon.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Jerry Jones won't overpay regardless of there being a cap or not. This year there just isn't many guys out there in our price range that could come in and make a bigger impact than the ones we already have. It makes no sense for Jerry to screw with the cap in hopes that there's an uncapped year next year, you just can't run that risk. We need to have that space for Ware, who will take a huge chunk of it pretty soon.

You and I are thinking basically along the same lines. I was just trying to say that Jones can afford to get those guys if there is no cap, I agree in thinking he won't overpay, regardless.

MetSox17
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
You and I are thinking basically along the same lines. I was just trying to say that Jones can afford to get those guys if there is no cap, I agree in thinking he won't overpay, regardless.

Yeah, i agree. The money isn't an issue, and never will be if there is no cap, but Jerry isn't stupid with his money. He's no Dan Snyder.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Is there anyplace where Dan Snyder doesn't get bashed? I mean his wife probably even makes fun of him...

D-Unit
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Why would we even want Ray Lewis? We got Bobby Carpenter. Psh.

There's a little game of cat and mouse going on... that's all. Ray understands the reputation Jerry has a reputation of shelling out cash and the Boys have a need at ILB. He says he wants to play for Jerry only to boost up his paycheck from Baltimore. Jerry is smarter than to be used as a pawn though. Coming out and saying we won't spend money... that doesn't help Ray get more $$$ from Baltimore. But it does put Ray on the hot seat. If he's truly sincere about playing for the Cowboys, then Jerry will be more than happy to give him a reasonable contract... The Cowboys are roughly 12M under the cap and can make a move if they want. Last year, the only notable FA they brought in was Zach Thomas. He's gone now, and I could see Jerry signing 1 guy again. We have 9 draft picks and could get 11 depending on other compensation. We don't HAVE to address our needs in FA.

Gay Ork Wang
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Its a good thing English isn't your first language GOW;)...

What is that supposed to mean

bigbluedefense
02-24-2009, 12:57 PM
don't take his word at face value.

he said he wouldn't trade for Roy Williams....

MetSox17
02-24-2009, 07:11 PM
don't take his word at face value.

he said he wouldn't trade for Roy Williams....

Nothing GMs ever say to the media is 100% true, so take it as you wish. I don't understand why people keep bringing up the Roy Williams thing. We paid a crap load as it was, imagine if Jerry had come out and said we were looking for WR help. The Lions would have bent us over.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
What is that supposed to mean

Cowboys not gonna spent money FA...

Just giving you ****...

Gay Ork Wang
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
oh lol didnt even see that

JFLO
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
All I had to read was the first sentence of that article to know it wasn't true. Jerry Jones saying he isn't going to spend money is like saying the Yankees aren't going to spend money.

I say they at least make one big offer to a free agent or make a decent trade proposal to Carolina for Julius Peppers. They are bound to make a big splash, especially with the cap limit just increasing.

MetSox17
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
All I had to read was the first sentence of that article to know it wasn't true. Jerry Jones saying he isn't going to spend money is like saying the Yankees aren't going to spend money.

I say they at least make one big offer to a free agent or make a decent trade proposal to Carolina for Julius Peppers. They are bound to make a big splash, especially with the cap limit just increasing.

And you obviously have no clue what the heck you're talking about.

There's no chance in hell we offer ANYTHING for Julius Peppers, and there won't be any "big" offers to FA's. If we throw any type of money at a FA it will be to Chris Canty, or a smallish offer to another guy that can come in and fill his spot. The cap limit increased by what, 4 million dollars? That's not a whole lot, and we still have to sign draft picks and make room for that big contract extension for Ware.

Offering for Peppers.... LOL.

JFLO
02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Yea, because we've seen in the past couple years that they haven't made a big splash, with getting the following guys:

Terrell Owens
Roy Williams
Leonard Davis
Tank Johnson
Zach Thomas
Akin Ayodele
Pac Man Jones
Ken Hamlin

yep, that shows good history that they won't make an offer to any big free agent, let alone make an offer for Peppers, who has stated Dallas as his top team he wants to go to.

Not to mention the fact that the possibilty of both Terrell Owens, Roy Williams might be let go come draft day.

I wouldn't totally rule the possibilty out.

Gay Ork Wang
02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
wait, Tank Johnson and PacMan is a big move?

bored of education
02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
wait, Tank Johnson and PacMan is a big move?

financially may have been I forget how mcuh they spent on those two clowns.

BaLLiN
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
i really hope peppers doesnt go to dallas. If they got peppers and lewis, their defense would be ridiculous

MetSox17
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Yea, because we've seen in the past couple years that they haven't made a big splash, with getting the following guys:

Terrell Owens
Roy Williams
Leonard Davis
Tank Johnson
Zach Thomas
Akin Ayodele
Pac Man Jones
Ken Hamlin

yep, that shows good history that they won't make an offer to any big free agent, let alone make an offer for Peppers, who has stated Dallas as his top team he wants to go to.

Not to mention the fact that the possibilty of both Terrell Owens, Roy Williams might be let go come draft day.

Terrell Owens was brought in when there was a dire need for a WR. Huge difference here. And seriously, the last five are "big splashes"? Ken Hamlin was brought in on a one year deal, Akin Ayodole was given league average, Zach Thomas was given a one year deal, Jones and Johnson played for chump change. So if ESPN makes a big deal out of it, you think it's a big signing? LOL

This made my blood boil. Roy Williams, the same Roy Williams whom we JUST traded for, gave up a ton of draft picks, AND signed to a big extension? Seriously? We might let him go? Jesus, i'm having a very hard time not calling you something infraction worthy.

Not at all. Tank Johnson played for about 600k a year, and so did PacMan. The only thing we lost for Jones was a 5th rounder i believe. May have been less since he hardly played.

i really hope peppers doesnt go to dallas. If they got peppers and lewis, their defense would be ridiculous

I don't know how many times i'll have to say this, but Peppers will not be in Dallas, i can absolutely guarantee that, unless something out of this world happens and we trade DeMarcus Ware, or something equally ridiculous. One, we don't have much to give up to bring him in. Two, we have no money to sign him to an extension. Three, bringing in ANOTHER linebacker isn't a necessity. And four, Ray Lewis, the more likely of the two to come to Dallas, most likely isn't coming either because of our cap situation, so please let's kill this stupid, ridiculous Peppers to Dallas rumor.

D-Unit
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Tank was signed to a 2 year incentive laden contract that could've paid him up to $1.6M. Base salaries of $510K for '07 and $605K in '08.

Pacman signed a 4 year deal with NO guaranteed money.
2008 - $700K base
2009 - $1M base; $250K roster bonus in March; $250K workout bonus
2010 - $3M base; $255K roster bonus in March; $250K workout bonus
2011 - $7.25M base

Zach Thomas signed a 1 year, 3M dollar contract.

So Jerry took no risk with those clowns.

Bucs_Rule
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM

On paper atleast.

bored of education
02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Tank was signed to a 2 year incentive laden contract that could've paid him up to $1.6M. Base salaries of $510K for '07 and $605K in '08.

Pacman signed a 4 year deal with NO guaranteed money.
2008 - $700K base
2009 - $1M base; $250K roster bonus in March; $250K workout bonus
2010 - $3M base; $255K roster bonus in March; $250K workout bonus
2011 - $7.25M base

Zach Thomas signed a 1 year, 3M dollar contract.

So Jerry took no risk with those clowns.

Wow, imagine IF lol..they worked out. Cheap contracts.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-26-2009, 12:53 PM
On paper atleast.

Exactly! They have talent but their front runners. When times get hard or if it's a big game, they fold like a deck of cards. They have no leadership and that includes management up, and when things fall apart everyone points fingers at each other. I am not worried. If they ever get leadership and Jerry stops mettling is the day I get sceeeeered of them.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Thats why I'd be horrified If Ray Lewis would sign there. Ray won't take **** from nobody, even the Owner probably.

JFLO
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
This made my blood boil. Roy Williams, the same Roy Williams whom we JUST traded for, gave up a ton of draft picks, AND signed to a big extension? Seriously? We might let him go? Jesus, i'm having a very hard time not calling you something infraction worthy.

I meant the safety...

I'm not an idiot who might think that the Cowboys would trade a receiver who they gave away a first rounder for. I'd imagine you would know who I'm talking about seeing as how you are the one saying the team won't spend money.

Thanks for thinking before you post...

JFLO
02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
BTW, it looks as if Dallas is looking to trade Roy Williams, the safety, for those who don't have common sense.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9269274/Source:-Cowboys-trying-to-trade-S-Roy-Williams

Burns336
02-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Maybe he thought you had the sense to realize Roy Williams the S is no longer relevant and hasn't been for about 4 years.

Or maybe he quit paying attention after you listed off numerous players who weren't big splashes.

JFLO
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe he thought you had the sense to realize Roy Williams the S is no longer relevant and hasn't been for about 4 years.

Or maybe he quit paying attention after you listed off numerous players who weren't big splashes.

What difference does that make? He still takes up a ton of money and that is money that could be used in free agency. Do all Cowboy fans lack common sense?

Okay, let's get some things straight here:

When you sign Terrell Owens, that is a big splash, no matter what the circumstances. They signed him to a good contract, but they didn't just sign the player, they signed the character issues that he brings along with his game.

The same goes with Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones. It's ironic that they sign both players who were suspended by the NFL. I don't care what the money was, they went to the two players who they probably should have stayed away from and it's proven today with Pacman no longer on the team and Tank Johnson barely getting any production.

They traded for Roy Williams...that is a big splash, whether it is in free agency or not...

I still think that Ray Lewis ends up in Dallas, even with Bart Scott presumably signing with the Jets.

Ray Lewis, just for those of you that don't realize, would be considered a big splash.

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
What difference does that make? He still takes up a ton of money and that is money that could be used in free agency. Do all Cowboy fans lack common sense?

Okay, let's get some things straight here:

When you sign Terrell Owens, that is a big splash, no matter what the circumstances. They signed him to a good contract, but they didn't just sign the player, they signed the character issues that he brings along with his game.

The same goes with Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones. It's ironic that they sign both players who were suspended by the NFL. I don't care what the money was, they went to the two players who they probably should have stayed away from and it's proven today with Pacman no longer on the team and Tank Johnson barely getting any production.

They traded for Roy Williams...that is a big splash, whether it is in free agency or not...

I still think that Ray Lewis ends up in Dallas, even with Bart Scott presumably signing with the Jets.

Ray Lewis, just for those of you that don't realize, would be considered a big splash.
What is so bad about making big splash signings again???

Yes, I hope Dallas signs Lewis, but it ain't happening. Ray may be interested, but I haven't heard 1 single word saying the feeling was mutual.

JFLO
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
What is so bad about making big splash signings again???

Yes, I hope Dallas signs Lewis, but it ain't happening. Ray may be interested, but I haven't heard 1 single word saying the feeling was mutual.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I just said that the team has a history of doing it and someone disagreed with me...

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Terrell Owens
Roy Williams
Leonard Davis
Tank Johnson
Zach Thomas
Akin Ayodele
Pac Man Jones
Ken Hamlin

This post makes so little sense to me it's not even funny...So you want to compare a Free Agent signing like Leonard Davis that happened before the 2007 season to this off-season now, did you ever stop to think that the contract situations may of been different seeing as how that was 3 years ago?

And it's already been said but putting guys like Tank Johnson, Zach Thomas, and Akin Ayodele in one boat and saying that's "making a splash" makes you look like a fool...I guess everyone Dallas signs is "making a splash" eh? Half those guys were around the league minimum and the others were average Free Agent signings, there wasn't a long list of teams lined up to sign Ayodele or Zach Thomas.

Everyone wants to keep mentioning Tank Johnson like he's some sort of huge story, Dallas signs superthug and blows up in their face or whatever, but he was cheap as hell, he was a depth signing, he finished as depth, and hasn't sniffed the least bit of trouble since he was brought in...So I fail to see what's the problem with him, suspension or not he's certainly not a big Free Agent splash.

Unless your still counting 600k salaries as making a huge splash then you can count on us being huge players every year.

Burns336
02-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I just said that the team has a history of doing it and someone disagreed with me...

You keep talking about common sense. We have no money. I don't know how many more ways we can say that to you.

Use your sense to figure out why we couldn't resign our own free agents (Canty and Burnett) and how it is impossible for us to beat the offer that the Ravens already gave to Ray Lewis.

We are about to give D Ware a "Haynesworth" type deal.