PDA

View Full Version : Donald Washington - Top 3 safety?

bengalbuck
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I think Donald Washington could be the steal of this draft. Note that I am a big Buckeye homer, but am pretty honest in my assessment of their pro potential (didn't like Gholston last year or Wells this year).

Donald would have been much more hyped had he not got in Tressel's doghouse for some positive tests for marijuana and lost his starting job. However, he was a de facto starter for most of the year and teams almost never threw his way. He has played CB at OSU but in our scheme he played more of a soft zone type coverage that I think would translate well to safety in the NFL. He is a big guy (6'1 200) who is a good tackler.

I noted the problems with weed, and I normally don't like those type of guys as prospects but I think Donald is a guy who has his head on straight and will be a good pro.

His measurables at the combine are going to be off the chart and I expect him to really rise up the draft boards between now and the draft. I'd love for the Bengals to take him at the top of the third, but I think he's gone by then.

keylime_5
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
He's a late day two pick. He didn't start last year and has character red flags. It was well known that he is a good athlete who was gonna test well, he's a very very corner too.

Texas Homer
02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Texans took a late draft chance on him.

thetedginnshow
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
DW tried to ask out this girl I know two years ago and got rejected. lol

bengalbuck
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
He's a late day two pick. He didn't start last year and has character red flags. It was well known that he is a good athlete who was gonna test well, he's a very very corner too.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you keylime. I think at worst he's an early day two pick (and keep in mind 3rd round is now on day 2).

I mentioned his positive tests and suspensions so that is definitely a question but I think the OSU staff will give him a pretty good recommendation. Also, even though he didn't start he got just about the same amount of playing time as Chimdi (who will also be a high pick, probably next year). Plus, he got way more respect on the field from other teams than Chimdi. Remember how Texas constantly picked on Chekwa and pretty much avoided Donald?

As for corner vs. safety, it depends on the scheme. A team like Indy, Tampa, Pittsburgh, etc. could play him at CB but a team that concentrates on man coverage like the Bengals and many others do would probably have to move him to safety. In fact, one of the reasons I even posted this was based upon a recent interview with Bengals DC Zimmer who said they are looking hard at guys in round 3 or 4 who they can move from CB to FS and D Wash immediately came to mind though I think there is a chance he is gone even before the top of the third round.

bengalbuck
02-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Mel Kiper's jumping on the DW bandwagon:

"One of the under the radar prospects from the major college ranks is Ohio State's Donald Washington. Physically and athletically, he's what you want, plus there were a number of games during his college career where Washington played at a first round level. I can't believe a player with Washington's potential would get out of the second round, and don't be shocked if some team pulled the trigger during the latter stages of round one."

I think 1st round is a bit high but anywhere in the second or the very top of the 3rd seems right to me personally. He was underrated as a Buckeye and will be a good pro.

Go_Eagles77
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Round 1 would be a huge shocker.

YAYareaRB
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
DW tried to ask out this girl I know two years ago and got rejected. lol

Wonder if she'd have a change of heart now that he's gonna be making some fat moolah!!!

Staubach12
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Mel Kiper's jumping on the DW bandwagon:

"One of the under the radar prospects from the major college ranks is Ohio State's Donald Washington. Physically and athletically, he's what you want, plus there were a number of games during his college career where Washington played at a first round level. I can't believe a player with Washington's potential would get out of the second round, and don't be shocked if some team pulled the trigger during the latter stages of round one."

I think 1st round is a bit high but anywhere in the second or the very top of the 3rd seems right to me personally. He was underrated as a Buckeye and will be a good pro.

I don't really see what Kiper's seeing there. Round 1? I very, very highly doubt that.

keylime_5
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
character issues will push him down. If he goes anywhere before the 3rd round I'll be stunned. I expect like round 5 or so. Some team like Oakland who doesn't give a **** about character might go for him earlier I guess. He is very raw and while he was decent in 2007, he didn't play that great in 2008 as the #3 corner.

vidae
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Didn't they announce that round 3 is back on day 1 now? I thought I read that somewhere.

Shane P. Hallam
02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Nope, it is not.

D-Unit
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I just drafted him in Round 7 of the Forum Mock. Guess that shows a lot of posters here aren't on to him yet.