PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a FS, Quacks like a FS..

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Did Malcom Jenkins make himself a FS today? He ran a 4.55 (not expecting much but thats not a top 5er) and had an average showing in drills.

Im not saying he cant play CB, just asking if you think he accidentilly proved he should be a Probowl FS.

MarioPalmer
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
wow! Even Vontae Davis ran faster in the 4.49 range.

Jesus, what did I tell you guys, this draft list of elites is getting shorter and shorter as this process goes on.

Thanks God I found out that Rey ran a 4.77 today or I would have jumped off the Poplar Street Bridge (bridge between St.Louis and East St.Louis over the Mississippi).

So I guess that means Davis is the elite CB? Wow! I thought Jenkins was a shoe in for a 4.45-49 range. I guess he could move to FS.

Im_a_Romosexual
02-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Davis was a lock to run faster than Jenkins...

Jenkins still performed great at all the other drills. He's still number one and a top 10 or so pick

Solomon
02-24-2009, 02:10 PM
If I said two days ago that Jenkins would run the same 40 as Alphonso Smith, a faster 40 than DJ Moore and would be only .02 slower than Captain Munnerlyn people would be all over him as an elite corner. Well he did, and nobody is talking about those guys not having the speed to play corner in the NFL so I don't know why ppl are doing that to Jenkins.

yourfavestoner
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Not every corner has to run a 4.3 guys. Al Harris, Chris McAllister, and Nate Clements are all Pro Bowl corners very much in the mold of Jenkins. He's still a top corner prospect for a Cover 2 team as well.

PossibleCabbage
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Brandon Flowers ran a 4.58 at the combine last year, and he's small, but he still managed to have a really good season as one of the best rookie CBs last year. Anybody know why that is? Al Harris has lost a step about four times since he was at his peak, and is still a pretty fine cornerback, anybody know why that is?

Instincts, vision, aggressiveness, savvy, and technique can make up for a lot for a CB. If we go just on "speed", there's no way that Al Harris should be able to cover Calvin Johnson (using this example because Al is slow, Calvin is fast, and we have a lot of data on Harris vs. Johnson). However, Harris does a pretty good job covering Johnson. Why is that? Because Harris uses technique, smarts, savvy, and aggression to make it so that he never has to run with Johnson. If he has to run with Johnson, he's already lost because Calvin Johnson is very fast indeed. But if you can keep the guy from opening up because you know how to play CB, this isn't usually an issue.

So you need a 4.4 or a 4.3 guy to run with the NFL's fastest receivers, but you don't need to run with the fastest receivers if you play otherwise good defense. There are techniques available to CBs that are not just "try to run as fast as the other guy" and schemes will vary in terms of what they ask the CBs to do. If you're running a defense where you need 4.3 CBs to cover 4.3 WRs, you probably don't want Jenkins, but that's a pretty strange defense to be running anyway. Other people might well be encouraged to watch his tape, which definitely shows that he is able to play cornerback.

Not all DBs need to be track stars after all. The buzz is going to be that he's a FS now, but the team that picks him will be picking him with the intent of trying him out at CB.

keylime_5
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
keep in mind too that Lucas Oil looks like it's a slower track than the RCA Dome was - which was a notoriously fast surface to run on. No corners or backs in under 4.4, hardly any under 4.45? Something fishy about that.

That said, I think most teams will look at Jenkins as a free safety at this point on if they haven't already.

Texas Homer
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I think he can play both, but I still see him as a CB.

I just think it is a slow track.

keylime_5
02-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree. I think top 5 is out of the window though nonetheless.

Diehard
02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree. I think top 5 is out of the window though nonetheless.

That's just fine. Denver will happily wait for him to fall to 12.

keylime_5
02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him playing with AJ Hawk again in Green Bay...

...or in San Fran with Nate Clements.

PossibleCabbage
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
That's just fine. Denver will happily wait for him to fall to 12.

So, if I'm reading Broncos fans correctly, Denver will be drafting Raji, Maualuga, and Jenkins in the first round. I admit that will be a very impressive draft ;).

PTPaQ
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Might be the case, but Malcolm doesnt 'look', or 'quack' like a FS...

All Pro Cornerback is more like it.

Diehard
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
So, if I'm reading Broncos fans correctly, Denver will be drafting Raji, Maualuga, and Jenkins in the first round. I admit that will be a very impressive draft ;).

LOL. Raji is the dream that won't happen (though I thought the same about Clady last year).

I don't see Rey fitting in with the new coaching staff - they've said outright they're looking for smart, disciplined football players (rather than immature hotheads).

With needs at both CB and FS, Jenkins would definitely help and would be damn good value at 12... and it is starting to look like it could be a possibility.

foozball
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
if ryan mouton ran a 4.54...theres something wrong

there seems to be something fishy about the times this year. nearly everyone ran slower than expected...by ALOT

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
If I said two days ago that Jenkins would run the same 40 as Alphonso Smith, a faster 40 than DJ Moore and would be only .02 slower than Captain Munnerlyn people would be all over him as an elite corner. Well he did, and nobody is talking about those guys not having the speed to play corner in the NFL so I don't know why ppl are doing that to Jenkins.

Smith, Moore, and Munnerlyn arent looked at as possible safties...

Nowhere did I say he should forget about playing corner, I just meant to ask if this would justify his FS buzz. I think it did.

katnip
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Yea, too bad the great Nnamdi Asomugha only ran a 4.5 second 40 yard dash.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/sbreport-net-exclusive-content/5056-player-profile-nnamdi-asomugha.html

^^^ Linky linky, I got linky

Note: I don't think Jenkins will reach that caliber. What? Only 10 or so passes thrown in Nnamdi's direction for 10+ plus games last year...??? A fact espn's NFL live threw out there last year after 10 or so games.

Just saying... 40 times are overrated.

Datruth
02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
he did better in the some of the other drills, better then I thought he would, so he has pretty good numbers in terms of change of direction, so he could still be a corner in a cover two. But I never thought he was going in the top 10, even at corner.

bored of education
02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Just because of CB runs a bit slower than hoped doesnt mean he is automtically assumed an FS. And vice versa

Vox Populi
02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Over reaction is over reaction

keylime_5
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Just because of CB runs a bit slower than hoped doesnt mean he is automtically assumed an FS. And vice versa

this is true, but the thing is a lot teams think he can be a good cornerback but an elite free safety. Man-to-man coverage in the NFL is a lot harder than in college too.

brat316
02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Jenkins had a better short shuttle and 3 cone drill.

With the slow time its not everything, teams will still play him at Cb first before moving him to FS. You know your going to get a cb that can hit and cover, also a possible FS that has ball skills of a cb.

Also Prime Time was saying on of guy put up a very fast 40 time, but as a cb, as a football player he didn't look good, looked more of a track guy.

Staggart
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
not everything is about a 40 time... about 25 seconds into this clip Victor harris is covering DHB and appears to be in good position and he ran a 4.59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znk5DdnVMg4

BuddyCHRIST
02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
While running faster would have alleviated some of the ability to play corner concerns, I still think teams will draft him as a corner with the ability to play FS as a backup plan. I still think he'll be a top 10 pick.

diabsoule
02-24-2009, 05:06 PM
So running fast in a straight line in shorts and a t-shirt is important on the football field how?

Sniper
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
So I guess that means Davis is the elite CB?

Yup. I mean, clearly a faster 40 means that he's better. It doesn't even matter that Davis was benched this year. Nope, not at all. 40 times are all that matter.

RaiderNation
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
This guy kind of reminds me of Asomugha. Has great size, doesnt have the best speed but enough, good tackler.

shady00
02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Jenkins dominated the 3 cone

OneToughGame
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
wow! Even Vontae Davis ran faster in the 4.49 range.

Jesus, what did I tell you guys, this draft list of elites is getting shorter and shorter as this process goes on.

Thanks God I found out that Rey ran a 4.77 today or I would have jumped off the Poplar Street Bridge (bridge between St.Louis and East St.Louis over the Mississippi).

So I guess that means Davis is the elite CB? Wow! I thought Jenkins was a shoe in for a 4.45-49 range. I guess he could move to FS.

Seriously, GTFO with thinking every "elite" prospect has to run a fast 40. Not every corner needs 4.3 speed to play CB in the NFL. Why don't you watch some tape on Jenkins or else just **** before you start acting like this.

I'm annoyed of how you overreact on every prospect that runs a slower then expected 40. It's just ******* stupid.