PDA

View Full Version : Local Detroit radio station reporting that Stafford is going number 1!!!!!!

NMUBurner22
02-25-2009, 12:08 AM
97.1 The ticket leaked this::

-Cliffs-

Mayhew and Lewan met with Stafford and his agent on numerous occasions...dinner...the whole nine.

Stafford was toured around the facility and shaking hands with everyone.

Stafford felt comfortable enough to pick up Lewan, bearhug him and say "Lets go Im ready for this".

I dont know whether to smile or cry.

Halsey
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM
There's really not much choice to it. Stafford is the only player the Lions should even consider with that pick other than maybe Sanchez. The worry that he will be a bust is the same worry Falcons fans had about Ryan a year ago. If the Lions already have some nice pieces in Calvin Johnson, Kevin Smith and hopefully Gosder Cherilus. If they follow the rules of how to handle a young QB, there's no reason Stafford can't be a very good NFL starter.

ThePudge
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
They also took Mark Sanchez to lunch and have had meetings with Aaron Curry and Jason Smith I believe. The Lions would be stupid to go public with their decision this early, or to even make a decision this early. They owe it to themselves to examine this process as in-depth and patiently as possible.

RaiderNation
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
I totally believe this....

In other news, Oakland releases JaMarcus Russell and Darren McFadden.

holt_bruce81
02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
They also took Mark Sanchez to lunch and have had meetings with Aaron Curry and Jason Smith I believe. The Lions would be stupid to go public with their decision this early, or to even make a decision this early. They owe it to themselves to examine this process as in-depth and patiently as possible.

Ya, there doing the same thing with three other players.

To me, Jason Smith or Aaron Curry is the Lions pick.

Xiomera
02-25-2009, 12:37 AM
I read all the same stuff you cited just now.

I don't think it confirms anything. He hasn't even had his Pro Day, haha.

Sportsfan486
02-25-2009, 01:01 AM
I read all the same stuff you cited just now.

I don't think it confirms anything. He hasn't even had his Pro Day, haha.

What? Didn't you hear? Stafford listened to that radio show and cancelled his pro day citing "uh.. no point now, dudes."

gpngc
02-25-2009, 01:07 AM
In the OPs defense, Stafford's pro day is probably just a formality and really doesn't matter at all. He's already checked out medically at the combine and has three years of film- the Lions decision on MS will be based on this- not how he looks throwing without pads against an invisible defense.

It's not like he forgot how to throw a football. lol

I don't think they've made their final decision (why would they at this point?), but those are some telling signs.

I would be extremely surprised if they went with anyone else at #1 and hope they can reach a deal before the draft so we'd have a 2009 draft contract to start with in the negotiations of these crazy rookie contracts.

keylime_5
02-25-2009, 08:22 AM
well it's a no brainer if they don't trade for a guy like matt cassel then they'll take stafford. easiest #1 pick to predict in a long time.

Splat
02-25-2009, 08:43 AM
As long as Aaron Curry is there at #3 they can take who ever they want.

bitonti
02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
if we look at the draft not about "who is the best player" but rather "who is the least risky player" then Matt Stafford doesn't even get close to 1 overall.

PossumBoy9
02-25-2009, 09:18 AM
if we look at the draft not about "who is the best player" but rather "who is the least risky player" then Matt Stafford doesn't even get close to 1 overall.

I'n not sure scared is a way to draft....particularly if you don't have a QB.

Matthew Jones
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM

This. If you draft high floor, low ceiling guys all the time, you're gonna have a mediocre team. At some point, you've gotta take risks that could put you over the top.

Scott Wright
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
As I have said before the Seattle Seahawks had three Pro Bowl-quality linebackers last year in Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill yet they only won four games. As much as I love Aaron Curry you can't take him #1 overall when Daunte Culpepper is your starting quarterback.

You can make a case for a left tackle but take a look at the best teams in the league last year and tell me how many of them had a stud blindside protector.

Xiomera
02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
As I have said before the Seattle Seahawks had three Pro Bowl-quality linebackers last year in Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill yet they only won four games. As much as I love Aaron Curry you can't take him #1 overall when Daunte Culpepper is your starting quarterback.

You can make a case for a left tackle but take a look at the best teams in the league last year and tell me how many of them had a stud blindside protector.

Just keep repeating this, Scott. The reasoning is sound.

bitonti
02-25-2009, 10:13 AM

thats what the Dolphins did last year at 1. in this economy risk free will be the way to go.

bitonti
02-25-2009, 10:14 AM

yeh well i would counter that Stafford isn't 6'3" and neither is Sanchez. both have spotty resumes. these guys aren't as premium as their agents would have us believe.

I KNOW IT ALL
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
yeh well i would counter that Stafford isn't 6'3" and neither is Sanchez. both have spotty resumes. these guys aren't as premium as their agents would have us believe.

What exactly is "spotty" about Stafford's resume? 3-year starter in the SEC, great statistics, great physical tools.

bored of education
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
What exactly is "spotty" about Stafford's resume? 3-year starter in the SEC, great statistics, great physical tools.

Inconsistancy = spotty? But I have a man crush on Stafford. So I won't get involved!

georgiafan
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Inconsistancy isn't enough to not draft a guy #1 overall with Stafford's tools on a team that has no QB.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM

Exactly. Not to mention, a great QB makes his line look a lot better, and a bad QB makes it look a whole lot worse.

Babylon
02-25-2009, 10:50 AM

That is a great point about LTs. The final 4 teams standing didnt have an above average LT in the group in my opinion. Go back to championship teams like the Pats, Colts and Giants and they didnt have any top tier guys either.

nepg
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Tarik Glenn was one of the better LT's in the NFL and Ugoh was a highly thought-of prospect going into the draft process...
________
WELLBUTRIN LAWSUIT INFO (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

DoWnThEfiElD
02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Our line will be upgraded, but it was just as much the QB and offense coordinators fault that they did bad last year.

With that said I highly doubt we are gonna commit to any player this early.

sweetness34
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
The question for Detroit is whether or not to take a QB (need) or BPA such as Curry? Personally I'm not sold on Stafford, in fact I actually like Sanchez more as a prospect.

I don't think they should take a QB just to take a QB, they need to take the best player on the board and come draft day I'm not sure Stafford is going to be that player. I understand having that line and Culpepper another year may be painful to watch but they have more holes to fill than just the QB spot. DL, LB, Secondary, OL, and QB need major upgrades.

Idk I'm just not sold on Stafford being a franchise QB right now....

Wrathman
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
At this point, I'm not on board with any of the QBs being worthy of the top pick. Stafford or Sanchez could be a franchise guy but I don't feel comfortable selecting either of them at that spot. If I was picking today, I'd go with Jason Smith.

Job
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Tarik Glenn was one of the better LT's in the NFL and Ugoh was a highly thought-of prospect going into the draft process...

Yet Tarik Glenn was taken 19th overall and Ugoh 42nd, not first. It is much easier to find a great LT in the 20-40 range than it is to find a great QB.

regoob2
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Breaking news, this just in, local media doesnt have any say in draft pick. Stafford will be the pick though.

gameplaya2435
02-25-2009, 04:13 PM
thats what the Dolphins did last year at 1. in this economy risk free will be the way to go.

Oh, so you think the Lions will draft a mediocre QB in the mid-rounds, then wait for a solid starter to get cut in favor of an old, washed up Legend to be their QB in August, and then install a college package into their regular offensive set, while relying on a defense that can actually create turnovers? Sounds like a fail-safe plan for Detroit!

Shane P. Hallam
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
97.1 The ticket leaked this::

-Cliffs-

Mayhew and Lewan met with Stafford and his agent on numerous occasions...dinner...the whole nine.

Stafford was toured around the facility and shaking hands with everyone.

Stafford felt comfortable enough to pick up Lewan, bearhug him and say "Lets go Im ready for this".

I dont know whether to smile or cry.

Man, I thought you were going to be the #1 pick! :D

BuffaloBillsFan
02-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I totally believe this....

In other news, Oakland releases JaMarcus Russell and Darren McFadden.

You can do it ain't that hard,
Baby get dumb, act like a ******!

Shake your hair make it blow in the air,
You gotta get into it and growl like a bear!

Halsey
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
When I think of Stafford hugging the team pres, it reminds me of someone. The hugmeister himself:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/06/12/white_packers_ap/t1_white2_ap.jpg

Maybe Stafford was using a little psychology there. ;)

T-RICH49
02-25-2009, 06:02 PM
As long as Aaron Curry is there at #3 they can take who ever they want.

amen.keep your hands of Curry Detroit...and St Louis for that matter

Larry121283
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
And St. Louis is on the clock.