PDA

View Full Version : Did this S class get better?

Black Bolt
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Not a strong class by any measure, but with the performances of guys like Chip Vaughn, Patrick Chung and Sean Smith make this a stronger class than before??

weezer1195
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Chip Vaughn is a stud if a team is looking for a SS type guy. He didnt start right away because frankly few do at Wake and he was a vital back-up behind Josh Gattis. When he got his chance he really showed developing ball skills and awareness in coverage. He is a jacked 220 with 4.5 speed and a chip on his shoulder from those days where FSU wouldnt give him a second glance coming out of high school. Call me a homer but any NFL team can't go wrong with any of the big 4 Wake guys of Aaron Curry, Stan Arnoux, Phonz Smith, and Chip Vaughn.

Grobe is the best talent evaluator in the nation. Last year DE Jeremy Thompson was drafted by the Packers and while at Wake he was in the same recruiting class as these guys but wasnt redshirted. So 5 guys who were all at most 3 stars that will be NFL draft picks.

Black Bolt
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
one thing I didn't like about NFLN's coverage of the combine is that they spend so much time talking about the same guys.

Chip Vaughn is a stud if a team is looking for a SS type guy. He didnt start right away because frankly few do at Wake and he was a vital back-up behind Josh Gattis. When he got his chance he really showed developing ball skills and awareness in coverage. He is a jacked 220 with 4.5 speed and a chip on his shoulder from those days where FSU wouldnt give him a second glance coming out of high school. Call me a homer but any NFL team can't go wrong with any of the big 4 Wake guys of Aaron Curry, Stan Arnoux, Phonz Smith, and Chip Vaughn.

Grobe is the best talent evaluator in the nation. Last year DE Jeremy Thompson was drafted by the Packers and while at Wake he was in the same recruiting class as these guys but wasnt redshirted. So 5 guys who were all at most 3 stars that will be NFL draft picks.

Big_Pete
02-26-2009, 12:19 AM
I think you could easily argue there is better talent in the safety class than the
CB group.

On top of that you have guys like Sean Smith and Malcolm Jenkins who may be drafted earlier as a FS than they would as a CB