PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Pro Days

Solomon
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
1. Michael Crabtree, March 12: After measuring just a shade over 6-1 and a Jones fracture in his left foot being revealed, Crabtree's stock is kind of in limbo. Has said he is 50-50 on whether he will run the 40 at his pro day. Here's hoping he does so that scouts can see him workout before they invest a top pick on a Texas Tech wideout.

2. Andre Smith, March 11: After not working out in Indy and taking off without telling anybody Smith has slid in the eyes of some. He will get a chance to rehab his image. His 40 might not matter much but scouts will be closely analyzing his footwork, quickness out of his stance, lateral mobility and stamina.

3. Matt Stafford, March 19: Some see this pro day as more of a formality but I think it's more important than that. It will be useful to see Stafford throw a variety of passes with NFL personnel in attendance. I'm sure the Lions brass wants to take a good hard look at him before making one of the most important decisions in that franchise's long history.

4. LeSean McCoy, March 17: The flu caused McCoy to show up underweight at the combine and prevented him from running but luckily for him the RB class underperformed as a whole unit. He has claimed that he can run in the 4.33 to 4.35 range. If he can get back to around 208 lbs and run anywhere near 4.40 at his pro day he could leap a few spots in the RB rankings and wind up in the first round.

5. Peria Jerry, March 26: After performing so well at the Senior Bowl I was kind of surprised to see him not workout in Indy. With all the DTs performing well the onus is on him to do the same at his pro day or he could get leapfrogged by Ziggy Hood.

6. Alex Mack, March 18: Mack was the consensus #1 center for most of the year but Unger looks to have overtaken him on some draft boards. His workouts might enable him to take back the number one spot. He physically looks and plays the part and I feel like he will perform well at his pro day.

7. Travis Beckum, March 4. Unable to run at the combine because he is still recovering from a leg injury, Beckum still impressed by showing up bigger than expected and leading all tightends in bench press reps. It's doubtful that he will be able to run by the time of Wisconsin's pro day and he might have to schedule another workout day closer to the draft. Either way how he runs could propel him into the second/early third round area.

8. Mike Mickens, March 19: The long, play making CB chose not to run at the combine as he is still recovering from knee surgery. He may have actually helped himself by not being one of the many underachieving corners in attendance. He'll get a chance to work out in front of scouts at his home stadium.
(Thanks SeanTaylorRIP)

9. Frantz Joseph, February 26: I feel like Joseph and Devin Moore were the biggest combine snubs. Joseph will get a chance to show scouts what he can do at his personal workout. If he runs well in the 40 and during quickness drills his stock could really skyrocket.

10. Derrick Williams, March 18: Williams will get a chance to improve on his disappointing combine performance where he says he was suffering from the flu. John Carlson had the same thing happen to him last year and his private workouts were much better and he had a hell of a rookie season so Williams will be looking to follow in his footsteps. Aaron Maybin will also have a few weeks to get his body adjusted to it's recently added mass and he will be looking to improve on his times as well.
(Thanks underscore)

11. Chase Coffman, March 13: Unable to workout at the combine because he is still recovering from a foot injury, Coffman hopes to be able to run and show his blocking strength at his pro day. After good combine performances by pass catching tight ends like Jared Cook, Shawn Nelson and Cornelius Ingram, Coffman needs a good workout to stay in the mix.

12. Trimane Goddard, March 17: Another combine snub, Goddard could be a nice find for a team in the later rounds. His size/speed ratio is nothing to get excited about so if puts up a better than expected 40 time and shows up stronger than expected his stock will rise

thenewfeature06
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
#10 and #4 are very interestring since Goddard got snubbed and Mccoy had the flu or w.e i ca't wait to see how he works out

SeanTaylorRIP
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
You can add Mike Mickens to that list.

Babylon
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Rey Maualuga needs to show something. USC pro days are legendary for good 40 times, he'll need to pull one out of the hat.

underscore
02-25-2009, 06:38 PM
March 18, Penn State.

Derrick Williams looking to rebound after his "flu" and Aaron Maybin looking to show he's faster than he is, too.

holt_bruce81
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Rey Maualuga needs to show something. USC pro days are legendary for good 40 times, he'll need to pull one out of the hat.

I doubt teams will put to much stock into his 40-time at his pro day. EVERYONE has a better 40-time at their pro day.

superman
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM
i'd like to see what smith and carr do at fsu's

and tate at unc's

ThePudge
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I am not arguing that it should be added to a Top 10 list, but Ohio University's Pro Day on March 12th should be interesting for two reasons:

A) CB Mark Parson is a Mid-Late Round prospect that was snubbed from the Combine. He's a player that could fit in a variety of systems as a nickel back. Not much special about him in terms of size, speed, or production; however, he is a solid all-around player that is more than adequate in both man and zone coverage. Also to watch, TE/H-B David Carter, DE Jameson Hartke, and TE/H-B/FB Andrew Mooney. The latter three probably don't have a great chance to be drafted, but have a chance to be picked up as UDFAs.

B) Since Peden Stadium is a five minute walk from my dorm, I'll be in attendance. Excited to see some (not much) NFL personnel and bring some in-depth analysis back for everyone. I know princefielder28 is very high on Parson, and Scott likes him as a sleeper later on, so at least a couple people should be interested in the report.

Solomon
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
This just in:
Frantz Joseph's numbers!

4.69 40 yard dash.
9 ft 7.5 inch broad jump.
27.5 inch vertical.
19 reps at 225 lbs.

The 40 yard dash should help him as I know he was considered a 4.8 guy whose straightline speed might be a problem in the NFL. Clearly that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

The vertical was brutal though, but I'm not sure it is a good example of his explosiveness.

The 19 reps I found surprising as well. He plays much stronger than that.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/

ThePudge
02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
This just in:
Frantz Joseph's numbers!

4.69 40 yard dash.
9 ft 7.5 inch broad jump.
27.5 inch vertical.
19 reps at 225 lbs.

The 40 yard dash should help him as I know he was considered a 4.8 guy whose straightline speed might be a problem in the NFL. Clearly that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

The vertical was brutal though, but I'm not sure it is a good example of his explosiveness.

The 19 reps I found surprising as well. He plays much stronger than that.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/

Overall it's unimpressive and as you said, you'd expect him to have a better vertical and showing on the bench press. The 40 yard dash is surprising, but it's hard to say his stock is on the rise after and otherwise disappointing day physically. Any word on how he performed in the drills or the more short-area quickness tests like the Shuttle or 3-Cone?