PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap expands to $127 million for 2009

Who Dat Nation
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
The salary cap will grow in 2009.

Because teams didn’t spend as much as they were supposed to under the collective bargaining agreement the past three years, teams were notified Wednesday that the salary cap will increase over $4 million to $127 million for this coming year, according to sources with two NFL teams. The collective bargaining agreement calls for cap adjustment down if teams spend over the cap in cash and adjustment up if they don’t spend up to the cap.

It defies the recession and logic, but just before free agency, teams actually will have more flexibility and salary-cap room. This is tremendous news for teams such as the Colts and Panthers, who are pressed against the cap, and not such good news for teams such as the Buccaneers and Chiefs, who were way under the cap. Now their advantage is somewhat compromised.

Teams believed they would see a mild increase in the salary cap, but this is bigger than teams expected.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/25/salary-cap-is-expanding-for-2009/

thetedginnshow
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
We're so under the cap now. GLORIOUS.

21ST
02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
I wonder if this will piss a few teams off

Shane P. Hallam
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Definitely does help the Steelers some.

Geo
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow, I thought it was going to be 123M.

princefielder28
02-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Time for Ted to front load some of those extensions

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
That helps the Ravens

nepg
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
So is Tampa going to sign every single free agent out there now?
________
Paxil attorneys (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Brent
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
What's the minimum cap? I dont see many teams going too far above that because of this economy.

21ST
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
What's the minimum cap? I dont see many teams going too far above that because of this economy.

I belive it is 75 percent of the cap so if the cap is going to be 127 mill then teams have to spend at least 95 mill

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Is the NFL ever going to be hit by this recession? The NBA cap is going down, and it hasn't even seen the worst times yet. I imagine the NFL is in the same boat. Next year is when it will hit, when luxury boxes and sponsorships stop being renewed.

gramage
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
That helps the Ravens

I doubt it changes much about Ray Lewis, but this could mean they get Jason Brown done before free agency starts.

JFLO
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
The NFL is getting closer and closer to the MLB...sad

Isn't 2011 an uncapped season? That is going to be hell.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-25-2009, 08:25 PM
The NFL is getting closer and closer to the MLB...sad

Isn't 2011 an uncapped season? That is going to be hell.

Cowboys are taking everyone!!!!

MetSox17
02-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Cowboys are taking everyone!!!!

It's only a matter of time.. muahahahahaha >: )

yourfavestoner
02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Is the NFL ever going to be hit by this recession? The NBA cap is going down, and it hasn't even seen the worst times yet. I imagine the NFL is in the same boat. Next year is when it will hit, when luxury boxes and sponsorships stop being renewed.

We'll find out once teams start their season ticket renewal programs.

Shane P. Hallam
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
The Cowboys can't sell out their season tickets for next year

Brent
02-25-2009, 09:39 PM
The Cowboys can't sell out their season tickets for next year
Because there aren't enough people with that much disposable income in the DFW area that want to go to Cowboys games. To get a chance season tickets you have to put down a deposit and that doesnt even guarantee you get tickets. Parking is going to be like $75 a game!

yourfavestoner
02-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Because there aren't enough people with that much disposable income in the DFW area that want to go to Cowboys games. To get a chance season tickets you have to put down a deposit and that doesnt even guarantee you get tickets. Parking is going to be like $75 a game!

Maybe we're gonna see a swing in the favor of the small market teams during the economic downturn, as their prices are usually much more affordable to the average person than teams with huge payrolls and incredible stadium upkeep costs.

Xiomera
02-25-2009, 10:02 PM
When does free agency open? Tomorrow at midnight?

OzTitan
02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Hrm, so which owner pulled strings for this.

Me thinks Mr Snyder :)

phlysac
02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
It really good news for teams that planned on spending the majority of their cap on signing extensions to players currently on their rosters.

Brent
02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Maybe we're gonna see a swing in the favor of the small market teams during the economic downturn, as their prices are usually much more affordable to the average person than teams with huge payrolls and incredible stadium upkeep costs.
It's entirely possible. It's still cheaper to go to baseball games, which I think will see more attendance increases during next football season.

diabsoule
02-25-2009, 11:20 PM
this really helps out the Saints.

PackerLegend
02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
When does free agency open? Tomorrow at midnight?

Yea Thursday but I think its 11pm instead of midnight.

Halsey
02-26-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm not the salary cap expert that a lot of fans like to think they are, but it seems to me that many people think an increased salary cap gives their individual team an advantage. Why? Teams know the salary cap is going to go up and when it does, so do contracts. It's the players who benefit from a bigger salary cap. Teams are affected the equally, so it doesn't seem that it should help or hurt any team more than another.

21ST
02-26-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm not the salary cap expert that a lot of fans like to think they are, but it seems to me that many people think an increased salary cap gives their individual team an advantage. Why? Teams know the salary cap is going to go up and when it does, so do contracts. It's the players who benefit from a bigger salary cap. Teams are affected the equally, so it doesn't seem that it should help or hurt any team more than another.

did you even read

BlindSite
02-26-2009, 01:32 AM
This helps pretty much everyone.

HawkeyeFan
02-26-2009, 01:54 AM
That helps the Rams about...NONE!

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but that's just me.

Caddy
02-26-2009, 02:59 AM
So is Tampa going to sign every single free agent out there now?

I have a feeling we might sign one 'big' name player and other than that we will be pretty insignificant. With a billion in cap space you'd hope that doesn't happen but I guess time will tell.

Bengalsrocket
02-26-2009, 03:57 AM
I have a feeling we might sign one 'big' name player and other than that we will be pretty insignificant. With a billion in cap space you'd hope that doesn't happen but I guess time will tell.

With the Salary cap going away I don't know if this is true at all, but I assume most teams try to shy away from ever getting close to the cap, because then if a surprise free agent comes up they have a chance at grabbing them.

I realize that free agents should never really be a "surprise", but if you look at the recent talk about Ray Lewis going to Dallas, then you can see what I mean. If Jerry Jones wants a star on his helmet, he might have to pull a few tricks with his current players contract.

Anyways, my point being; I doubt the bucs want to just go out there and throw their cash around for big name players. For one, free agency can be kinda risky. We've seen plenty of players hit the market, get that big check, then turn out to be something completely different than what their team thought they would be. And two, the more you sign now, the less you have for the future. And it doesn't seem like there are enough big names out there that you'd want to break the bank this year on free agency.

killxswitch
02-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Great news for the Colts, we are under the cap now!

OzTitan
02-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, not only that, but the Colts just so happened to be able to resign Saturday now.

Hrm, a more skeptical person may see this oddly late hike in cap somewhat suspicious ;)