PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Jenkins vs. Sean Smith vs. Vontae Davis

PACKmanN
02-25-2009, 10:29 PM
After the combine these three solidified themselves as the three top CBs in the draft, well imo. There all similar prospects, many think all three or two should play S in the NFL. What are your thoughts on them and who would you select?

Paranoidmoonduck
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Anyone who doesn't have Malcolm Jenkins as the top defensive back simply hasn't watched enough game footage. The only guy who comes close is Alphonso Smith, in my opinion.

PACKmanN
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
well at 5'8 it will be a hard choice for a team to select him in the first.

brat316
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
The best prospect out of those three is Jenkins. Now whether it be at safety or cb, he defiantly is best prospect out of those three.

The most interesting one is Sean Smith, at 6'4 running a 4.4 will be very intriguing to many people. Lot of gms take a chance on linemen, because of their triangles numbers. But rarely do you find a freak like this in the secondary espically at cb.

02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Jenkins is the better CB and FS of the bunch. Plain and simple.

xX LINDE Xx
02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Jenkins is the better prospect, however, as a Utah homer I am forced to vote Sean Smith.

NIN1984
02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Jenkins didn't run an amazing 40x but the guy has football speed, he plays physical and smart. He's my #1 by far.

hugegmenfan
02-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Anyone who doesn't have Malcolm Jenkins as the top defensive back simply hasn't watched enough game footage. The only guy who comes close is Alphonso Smith, in my opinion.

i have seen a ton of coverage of jenkins actually and i think he is impressive and will make for a solid corner but not a great one. i would not care to be proven wrong thats just what i think. he ran a 4.6 at the combine which is not good enough to compete with some of the best. Mayock actually thinks he would do better safety. I do think he is the best DB in the draft though im not saying that haha.

BeerBaron
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
I think it's still clearly Jenkins. I think he one ups Smith in just about every way except for his size.

If your taking one to be a corner, I'd take Jenkins first. If your taking one to be a FS, I'd still take Jenkins.

But Smith got a whole lot closer at least. And definitely solidified himself as a mid-1st round prospect.

And Davis...ehhh. I got a bad bust feeling with him.

BigBanger
02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
How is Sean Smith the third best CB in the draft?

Because he's tall? Wow.

Darius Butler? I think you should have paid attention to him.

Him being the best CB in the draft is a good reason to pay attention to him. Not to mention he outperformed every CB mentioned in this thread.

fear the elf
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Jenkins didn't run an amazing 40x but the guy has football speed, he plays physical and smart. He's my #1 by far.

i agree with this. 4.55 isn't great, but he never seemed to be that slow in games, and he does everything else so well. and who knows how vontae and smith run in pads. you have to go to the game tape for that, and we know what jenkins can do when you when you turn on the game tape.

btw. according to the official numbers vontae only ran .06 better and smith .02 better.

sweetness34
02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Best Football Player: Malcolm Jenkins

Best Prospect (in terms of boom or bust): Malcolm Jenkins

Most Upside: Vontae Davis

I love VD because he's an Illinois guy but I can't be a homer on this one lol. Vontae is one of the most physically gifted defensive backs to come out in a while. 4.3 speed, hits like a linebacker, great balls skills, playmaker, helps in the run game, and a hard worker in the offseason.

Problem is he's very cocky and he doesn't consistently listen to coaching, he has mental lapses on the field at times (although not very often), and he gambles a lot.

I think if a coach can get him to listen, Vontae will be the steal of this draft. He's not a bad kid, just a bit immature and dumb IMHO. Never had a problem with he and Zook and never had a problem with teammates at Illinois.

If he can't play CB, he's going to be a beast safety, either free or strong. You put that speed, hitting ability, and playmaking ability back there...oh, my, god.

If he's there at 18 and the Bears don't take him I'll **** a brick, well ok I won't do that but I will be very disappointed if we don't take him, although I don't think he lasts past 15. "Character issues" or not he's never been in trouble and teams would be stupid to pass on his talent. He just needs to do some growing up and I think under the right coach (like a Lovie Smith) he can do that.

bored of education
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
How is Sean Smith the third best CB in the draft?

Because he's tall? Wow.

Darius Butler? I think you should have paid attention to him.

Him being the best CB in the draft is a good reason to pay attention to him. Not to mention he outperformed every CB mentioned in this thread.

Darius is my number 3 overall CB, I think he is a ebast!

Cicero
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of NFL teams have Davis ahead of Jenkins after the combine.

bored of education
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of NFL teams have Davis ahead of Jenkins after the combine.

Those teams obviously didnt watch films. :D

JFLO
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
If I was picking soley on potential, it would be hard not to take Sean Smith, but as an overall prospect, I think you have to go with Malcolm Jenkins.

Shane P. Hallam
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Those teams obviously didnt watch films. :D

But there is no film on Davis, since he was benched! ;)

But honestly, I love Smith as a safety prospect, but I wouldn't put him higher than D.J. Moore or Alphonso Smith as a corner anyway. His versatility could have him drafted higher than either sure. And Vontae Davis got benched. He just seems like the kind of guy who just doesn't work out in the pros.

jnew76
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Darius Butler
3. Sean Smith
4. Alphonso Smith
5. Vontae Davis
6. Coye Francies

IMO Butler and Jenkins are the top tier and closer in ability than many think. I think the next four are a tier below, but they are all very close in ranking for me, and would change based on scheme and need.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I'll take Vontae as he has the tools to be the best of the 3, personally the only 2 corners I really love are Alphonso Smith and Darius Butler. The rest including Malcolm Jenkins and Sean Smith have too many questions for me. Those two above and Kevin Barnes are my 3 safe picks at CB relative to their projected draft position.

roscoesdad27
02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
easily jenkins....dont be fooled by the 40 time guys.

he ran the quickest cone drill amongst ALL players this year AND last year!
his physicality at the l.o.s. will more than make up for his relative lack of elite top end speed.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I've always said Jenkins is real similar to another former Buckeye Shawn Springs and that isn't a bad thing at all. I think Jenkins definitely will make a few pro bowls and always be considered a really good corner a top 2 and above average 1, but I don't ever think he will be considered one of the top corners in the game. Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith to me are just money corners who have potential to be great corners. Same with Kevin Barnes.

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I know this sounds off topic but which GM drafted Shawn while with Seattle?

indyfan1985
02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
How could you forget about Alphonso Smith?? I think as far as CBs go, he is better than both Smith and Jenkins. Smith and Jenkins are better suited at Safety.

TT Gator
03-01-2009, 02:29 AM
i agree with this. 4.55 isn't great, but he never seemed to be that slow in games, and he does everything else so well. and who knows how vontae and smith run in pads. you have to go to the game tape for that, and we know what jenkins can do when you when you turn on the game tape.

btw. according to the official numbers vontae only ran .06 better and smith .02 better.

I agree. See I personally think Jenkins runs alot faster than he was timed at the combine. I mean come on he's the top rated DB in the draft and he knows that alot rides on their 40 times at the combine. If thats not enough to make you nervous and slow down your 40 time I don't know what is. As one of the commentators said at the combine "all I need to know is on tape" In my mind combine stats only matter when their really good or really bad. Jenkins knows how to cover plain and simple. He has good size for a DB, enough speed to keep up wit most WRs, and can break on the ball and come out of nowhere to break it up or INT it. I've watched him do it and that's all I need to know. Whether it's CB or S he's the best in this draft at doing it.

scottyboy
03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
i love Malcolm X. He's the top DB in this draft. people say he'd be better at FS, but I believe he'll be a stud at CB.

I actually have Smith and Moore being ahead of Smith, closing in on Vonte

03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
It's Jenkins, but this CB class is not very special. Only Jenkins would have had a shot at being a first rounder last year with the talent and depth at CB last year

Texas Homer
03-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Jenkins easy.

umphrey
03-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Malcolm Jenkins but he's just average this DB class sucks hard

etk
03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
1a. Davis
1b. Jenkins
1c. Smith

I wouldn't bet on any of them being better than the other.

stephenson86
03-03-2009, 08:02 AM
nnamdi asamougha ran a 4.5 fourty
jenkins ran what a 4.55?

you dont need timed speed to be a great corner

etk
03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
nnamdi asamougha ran a 4.5 fourty
jenkins ran what a 4.55?

you dont need timed speed to be a great corner

Nnamdi Asomugha would KILL the positional drills showing fluid hips and change of direction ability.

Jenkins didn't.

Kase1
03-03-2009, 08:26 AM
How did Sean Smith do in the combine, I know he ran a 4.4 but howd he do with the bench and vert???

Sniper
03-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha would KILL the positional drills showing fluid hips and change of direction ability.

Jenkins didn't.

T-5th among corners in the 20 yard shuttle (4.07, same as V. Davis) and the fastest 3 cone drill of anyone.

Kase1
03-03-2009, 08:38 AM

Jenkins didn't.

LOL Asomughna could cover an antelope, It done matter what he posted in the drills, LOL

That guy is by far the most underated player in the NFL

The Legend
03-03-2009, 08:53 AM
LOL Asomughna could cover an antelope, It done matter what he posted in the drills, LOL

That guy is by far the most underated player in the NFL

His contract proves hes not underrated anymore.....

wicket
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
jenkins is the best player, both as cb and at fs, sean smith is the best value imo and vontae davis is just a bag of measurables with an attitude (I dont like him very much if you didnt already know)

steelcrew43
03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
after watching ohio state this year i like jenkins for his anticipation and football smarts

Kase1
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
His contract proves hes not underrated anymore.....

.....Touche'

bitonti
03-03-2009, 09:27 AM
so... why are we comparing 2 safeties to a cornerback? :)

Iamcanadian
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Jenkins looks like the second coming of Brandon Flowers to me. Flowers was the top rated CB going into the combine last year when he ran a poor 40. It dropped him to #35 as it indicated he would probably only suit a Cover 2 team which indeed did draft him.
Now I believe this draft is far weaker than last year's so I don't expect a tremendous fall for Jenkins but I seriously doubt he goes top 10 after his slow 40 and I suspect Vontae Davis leapfrogs him as the #1 CB in the draft. It's not that Vontae is the finished product that Jenkins is but his ceiling is much higher and he can play in any defense.

Cswarriors21
03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Smith will likely be moved to safety due to his size, and personlly i htink jenkins could be a safety also. But vontae davis is the most athletic corner out o all three, they all have different attributes to bring to the table. But overall Jenkins is the top corner in the draft

Thunder&Lightning
03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Jenkins overall. Davis is the best athlete of the 3 but character issues bring him down in my book.

shady00
03-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Anyone who doesn't have Malcolm Jenkins as the top defensive back simply hasn't watched enough game footage.
+1 ........

ThePudge
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Jenkins didn't.

Just go back and watch the positional drills for DB's. Malcolm Jenkins looked at an entirely different level at times. I don't mean anything personally, but how much did you watch of these positional drills? Jenkins showed very good hips, a fluid quick back pedal, very smooth transitions, and outstanding change of direction skills. In the final two drills, where the focus was ball-skills, Malcolm stood out from all the rest, making every catch and some very impressive ones at that. Jenkins is very quick, very fluid, he just doesn't have elite timed speed.

etk
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Just go back and watch the positional drills for DB's. Malcolm Jenkins looked at an entirely different level at times. I don't mean anything personally, but how much did you watch of these positional drills? Jenkins showed very good hips, a fluid quick back pedal, very smooth transitions, and outstanding change of direction skills. In the final two drills, where the focus was ball-skills, Malcolm stood out from all the rest, making every catch and some very impressive ones at that. Jenkins is very quick, very fluid, he just doesn't have elite timed speed.

I saw the whole thing. The DBs were generally unimpressive (aside from Darius Butler) but Jenkins did not rise above the rest. Vontae Davis wasn't much to look at either.

I don't see how you can tell me differently. He botched many of the COD drills and they showed his face grimacing after. Even the commentators admitted he wasn't having a good day.

Either you watched the drills with OSU-tinted glasses or didn't watch at all.

ThePudge
03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I saw the whole thing. The DBs were generally unimpressive (aside from Darius Butler) but Jenkins did not rise above the rest. Vontae Davis wasn't much to look at either.

I don't see how you can tell me differently. He botched many of the COD drills and they showed his face grimacing after. Even the commentators admitted he wasn't having a good day.

draftheadquarters' Shawn Zobel wrote:

Malcolm Jenkins - Don’t believe everything that you read in the media. Jenkins had a good workout yesterday. I expected him to run in the 4.5’s and according to my stopwatch, he was at a 4.53. He did well in the positional drills and even did better than Vontae Davis when they were head to head in the final drill of their workout. Obviously you’d like to see him run faster, but he’s not a burner at corner and never has been. He was a great college cornerback; you can’t just change into being a mediocre one in an offseason because half of the media reporting on it have no idea what they’re talking about. What bugs me is when football websites who have no history of scouting football players begin suggesting that he must move to safety. He’ll remain my top cornerback entering the draft. Even if he does move to safety, you think he’s not better than Louis Delmas or Rashad Johnson? Come on.

Another Ohio State fan perhaps? While his word is by no means fact, I saw the same things he did.

I take off my OSU-tinted glasses at the end of the season. Personal attachment can not play a factor in analysis when referring to the draft and, like Sniper, I know and understand this. I am lower than most on James Laurinaitis, Donald Washington, and Brian Hartline. However, anyone that has seen Jenkins an extensive amount has to like the guy as a player and prospect.

I watched the position drills and was extremely impressed with his hips, change of direction, and explosiveness as an athlete. haha How somebody that struggles with change of direction puts up a 6.59 in the 3-Cone, a drill that requires quickness, body control, agility, and most of all, change of direction skills is beyond me.

Say what you will about his timed speed in the 40, but don't let that be your judgement for Malcolm Jenkins as a player.

Staubach12
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
DJ Moore kthxbai

Iamcanadian
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM

That's exactly what I heard the commentators say as well.

etk
03-04-2009, 06:57 AM
draftheadquarters' Shawn Zobel wrote:

Another Ohio State fan perhaps? While his word is by no means fact, I saw the same things he did.

I take off my OSU-tinted glasses at the end of the season. Personal attachment can not play a factor in analysis when referring to the draft and, like Sniper, I know and understand this. I am lower than most on James Laurinaitis, Donald Washington, and Brian Hartline. However, anyone that has seen Jenkins an extensive amount has to like the guy as a player and prospect.

I watched the position drills and was extremely impressed with his hips, change of direction, and explosiveness as an athlete. haha How somebody that struggles with change of direction puts up a 6.59 in the 3-Cone, a drill that requires quickness, body control, agility, and most of all, change of direction skills is beyond me.

Say what you will about his timed speed in the 40, but don't let that be your judgement for Malcolm Jenkins as a player.

That's one article from a site I've never heard of. I'm sure there's one site out there that thinks Emanuel Cook had a good combine too.

I have seen Jenkins an extensive amount and I like him as a player and prospect. I think he can be a good starting CB or FS in the NFL, but he's not a top-15 talent. His timed speed doesn't really bother me much, but when you look at his entire athletic package you have to wonder how well he'll match up with faster, quicker, more explosive receivers. He's not a shutdown corner by any means.

Larry121283
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Malcolm Jenkins and Alphonso Smith are still my #1 and #2 on my list.

I'd rank DJ Moore and Vontae Davis ahead of Smith as well.

Iamcanadian
03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Well for a prospect who most of you consider a cinch to be the 1st CB taken, he is currently at #19 on Mayock's current list which is a fall from his pre-combine ranking. IMO, at #19 her is very vulnerable to being passed in the CB ranking and certainly isn't really special as a CB prospect.

thebow305
03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd say

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Sean Smith
3. Vontae Davis

Jenkins is the most polished, but Smith and Davis have MUCH more potential and could end up being much better NFL corners.

P-L
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Despite not a great combine, I have D.J. Moore as a close second to Jenkins.

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Davis will be a bust, the other two will be decent pros

keylime_5
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Smith will definitely be a safety. Jenkins we'll see, but it might depend on the system of the defense he's in, and whether he plays more zone or more man coverage. Davis will be a corner, but his technique and intangeables are being questioned. But I think Davis will be a very good pro. I think Jenkins will be great, but Smith will be average, maybe a little above average.

thebow305
03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Smith will definitely be a safety. Jenkins we'll see, but it might depend on the system of the defense he's in, and whether he plays more zone or more man coverage. Davis will be a corner, but his technique and intangeables are being questioned. But I think Davis will be a very good pro. I think Jenkins will be great, but Smith will be average, maybe a little above average.

Smith definitely a safety huh? I guess we will see about that.

etk
03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Smith definitely a safety huh? I guess we will see about that.

He could always stick at CB. The NFL could use another Juran Bolden, and the CFL could too.

Rodya's Redemption
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Don't sleep on Mike Mickens. Strikes me as a pure cover corner with legit ball skills. I have him behind only Jenkins and Alphonso.

thenewfeature06
03-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Don't sleep on Mike Mickens. Strikes me as a pure cover corner with legit ball skills. I have him behind only Jenkins and Alphonso.

I also am very high on Mickens he has long arms and is very passionate when he plays

etk
03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Don't sleep on Macho Harris or Keenan Lewis. Both were surprisingly effective in off-man coverage at the Senior Bowl, and great in press-man. Lewis had a nice Pro Day as well.