PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith?

Hickman561
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Why isn't he getting any love? I may be bias because he's from the same hometown as me and he's somebody i look up to but I personally think he's a better a better CB than Jenkins and Davis.

The man is a beast 21 career ints and had multiple int's run back for touchdowns and have all the experience in the world being a 4 year starter and whats not to like bout Phonso? besides his height and i dont think it'll matter once he gets to the nfl.

TACKLE
02-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Everyone loves his game but his height and lack of top end speed may cause him to slip a bit in the draft. Last year, Brandon Flowers was an incredible, complete CB and a Top 10 caliber player but because of height and speed he fell. As a rookie, Flowers showed the ability to potentially be one of the best CB's in the NFL. Its too bad that's how it works but that's the reality of the draft.

Hickman561
02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Everyone loves his game but his height and lack of top end speed may cause him to slip a bit in the draft. Last year, Brandon Flowers was an incredible, complete CB and a Top 10 caliber player but because of height and speed he fell. As a rookie, Flowers showed the ability to potentially be one of the best CB's in the NFL. Its too bad that's how it works but that's the reality of the draft.

That should be a prime example Flowers didnt have top end speed but was very productive in college and he was able to translate that into the NFL i think Phonso will do the same and he ran decent 4.5 is not bad and he's very physical for a guy his size and fair pretty well against Greg Carr a 6'6 receiver from FSU when he was matched up against him

Big_Pete
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I think Alphonso Smith is in the exact same range he was before the draft in that late first/early 2nd round group and is one of the better CBs in the draft.

If Jenkins and Sean Smith get more consideration as FS rather than CBs (which I expect), then smith will go a little higher.

The only knock on him is height, but lets be real there are a heck of alot of quality CBs in the 5-9 - 5-10 range in the NFL.

This guy is a genuine proven playmaker and will make some team's secondary alot better right away.

JFLO
02-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of Smith, but I tend to favor the smaller corners like Antoine Winfield, DeAngelo Hall and Leon Hall.

He's obvioulsy very athletic and fast being that small, but it's pretty amazing with how physical he is when it comes to the running game. I think he, maybe besides a guy like Malcolm Jenkins, might be the best corner run supporter.

I hope he lands in the right spot, because he could be a very special talent at the next level.

A Perfect Score
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
He has been my #1 choice for the Ravens in round 1 since the beginning of the draft process. I think you are right in saying that as a cornerback, he is as good as davis or jenkins. That said, he doesnt have the overall athletic ability of those two and his height will hold him back. Scott mentioned in his Q&A the other day that Smith reminded him of Dre Bly, and I think thats an accurate comparison. He may be undersized, but he has great ball skills and I really hope my Ravens pick him up at the end of the 1st.

GermanSaint
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
love him .... he will gonna be the best CB from the draft

SenorGato
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Smith is a beast. I think both him and DJ Moore don't get anywhere near the love they deserve...especially Moore.

bitonti
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
alphonso smith is exactly the type of athlete who gets passed over 20 times and then the season starts and everyone wonders what the heck they were thinking to pass him by.

indyfan1985
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree as far as pure corners go, I think he is the best. Vontae Davis, Malcolm Jenkins, and Sean Smith all to me are better at Safety.

I REALLY want the Colts to draft Alphonso Smith with their 1st rounder and pair him with Kelvin Hayden to make possibly the best CB duo in the league for many years.

Smokey Joe
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I think he solidified his status as a mid-late first round pick. If the Bears can fix some of their needs in FA, I'd love to see us draft Smith in the first. Right now he is my no. 2 DB.

NIN1984
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I also have him #2 on my board I like Jenkins more but there is a lot to like about Smith. I actually would not be surprised to see him drafted a lot higher than some people think. I have him going to the Lions at 20 in my mock right now but I seriously thought about putting him at 15 to the Texans.

Darkdawg64
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I love him as well... he is going to excel at the next level. He is way better than Jenkins. Besides Jenkins will be playing safety next year anyway.

kiranadwaney
02-27-2009, 11:48 AM
i also love the was smith plays, and thought he was real good in the drills at the combine, but his height is a big knock on him. if he was a few inches taller i would see him going middle of the first. but he is a late first early second round guy.

indyfan1985
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
i also love the was smith plays, and thought he was real good in the drills at the combine, but his height is a big knock on him. if he was a few inches taller i would see him going middle of the first. but he is a late first early second round guy.

The Colts dont care so much about height. Look at Bob Sanders. The Colts simply draft playmakers, and that's what Alphonso Smith is.

keylime_5
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
IMO the guy will be a top 25 pick for sure. #3 corner taken worst case scenario.

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
He's better than D.J. Moore, and if he was 2-3 inches taller, he'd give Malcom Jenkins a run for the first corner taken.

ljk2171
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Easily the best ball skills of all the corners in the draft. He is my #2 corner behind Jenkins and I think that is even close. On paper he may not wow anyone, but the kid simply makes plays.

Shane P. Hallam
02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I like the way he looks, but combining that lack of speed with height is not a good combination. I think he is a very good playmaker, I just am not sure if he can cover the Andre Johnsons and Calvin Johnsons of the NFL.

BigBanger
02-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I like the way he looks, but combining that lack of speed with height is not a good combination. I think he is a very good playmaker, I just am not sure if he can cover the Andre Johnsons and Calvin Johnsons of the NFL.
Hardly any CB can cover those guys one-on-one all game long. Smith can't and if a team expects him to, that team is out of their skull.

Smith is going to have to go to the right scheme, like Brandon Flowers did. He is similar in a lot of ways to Flowers (I would say Flowers was slightly better in just about every category). Height and speed makes him more of Cover 2 CB. He could be a great CB in a Cover 2. He has great instincts and excellent ball skills. Since he's going to have to need a lot of help over-the-top, his value decreases as a prospect, and he's more of a Cover 2 guy (like Flowers).

DJ Moore is similar, but he's much more raw than Smith and not nearly as complete a player as Smith (Hardly ever played any man coverage and mostly sat in zones). He has a little bit of potential, but his athletic ability was obviously overrated. He's another guy that's going to have to go to the right scheme. Cover 2 defense is ideal for him, but he's not as complete as Smith and I don't see him having any more potential than Smith. I was disappointed with his Combine. I had him as a fringe first rounder going into the Combine and I was hoping I'd be able to bump him way up, but coming in at 5'9'' and not running well, he kind of sunk his own ship. I'd take Victor "Macho" Harris over him for a cover 2 scheme over Moore any day.

All these CBs really hurt themselves with the poor 40 times.

I consider Smith a top 20 caliber guy. If he was 6'0'' and ran in the 4.4s, I'd have him in the top 10, and probably even top 5.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 08:58 AM
You know i made a thread about this at least a year ago, everyone said he was going to be a mid rounder. ill find it for you

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15409

well not a mid rounder, but he really proved himself, i always thought of him as a late first rounder.

nepg
02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Smith's solid, not elite...and really nothing all that special. The guys he compares best to are guys that were drafted in the 3rd-5th rounds (some later than that)...

Maybe not fair because 2005 was such a loaded CB draft, but would you rather have Adam Jones (minus the problems - also keep in mind Smith's not near the tackler Jones was) in the first round, or Ellis Hobbs/Domonique Foxworth in the late-3rd? This draft is not weak at CB depth, just lack of elite prospects. Is Alphonso Smith really going to be that much better in the NFL than a guy they can get 2 rounds later (e.g. Joe Burnett, Bruce Johnson)?
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Rjspartan
02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
if he was two inches taller he would be the number one corner

nepg
02-28-2009, 09:49 AM
if he was two inches taller he would be the number one corner

He's not 2 inches taller. I HATE that argument. If he was 2 inches taller, he probably wouldn't be able to do a lot of the things he can do now... If he was 2 inches taller, he'd be slower and not nearly as quick...
________
Buy Bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
He's not 2 inches taller. I HATE that argument. If he was 2 inches taller, he probably wouldn't be able to do a lot of the things he can do now... If he was 2 inches taller, he'd be slower and not nearly as quick...

i dont think height is as big a factor in quickness than weight is, DRC was paper and amazingly quick. if he was 2 inches taller he wouldnt be outmatched by bigger recievers and he'd have longer arms most likely, the game is about inches, on the field and on the player too sometimes