PDA

View Full Version : The cost of running the combine.

Iamcanadian
02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Each team pays $75,000 to participate in the combine for a grand total of $2,400,000 and all 32 teams do participate.
For people who argue the combine means little, your argument seems absurd considering that every team has a choice of whether to take part or not, yet they all do.

I KNOW IT ALL
02-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Each team pays $75,000 to participate in the combine for a grand total of $2,400,000 and all 32 teams do participate.
For people who argue the combine means little, your argument seems absurd considering that every team has a choice of whether to take part or not, yet they all do.

Wow, a whole $75,000? I think getting a player's accurate height and weight is worth that.

Bengalsrocket
02-26-2009, 06:56 AM

75,000 is a small price to pay, even if the information you get out of it is nearly useless.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't say its useless. The combine is very useful (as evidenced by 100% participation from teams since it began) in the drills and showing athletecism, as well as gauging a players mental capbilities and personality. Sure 75K is a small price to play for any NFL team, but the combine has its place, and whether some people want to admit it or not, it is vital to the draft process. Not necessarily at evaluating talent, but comparing similar talent.

I don't understand why people say the combine isn't important. If it isn't important, they would have done away with it years ago. Sure the 40, bench, and some other excersizes aren't exactly important, depending on position, but teams and scouts get more out of interviews and the drills than they do the 40, bench, etc. The drills and interviews are where the combine has its value, and that is why it is imporant. Not to say it is the most improtant piece of the evaluation process, which it isn't, but the combine does carry some wieght with teams and scouts...

killxswitch
02-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Having so many prospects in one place to receive in-depth physicals and interviews would easily be worth the $75,000 alone, to any team. The drills are just icing on the cake but the medical and mental evaluation aspects are probably the most worthwhile aspects.

georgiafan
02-26-2009, 07:27 AM
who gets the money?

Smokey Joe
02-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Whoever runs the combine. They have to pay all the medical bills, the coaches who run the drills probably get some compensation, energy bills, I bet they pay for the players rooms, and the runner of the combine needs to make some money as well.

I'm sure all the underarmor equipment used was free though.

BBIB
02-26-2009, 03:38 PM

To be fair that's not exactly the best argument.

The combine SAVES money because it was initially designed as a way of doing a medical check on every prospect without having to travel to visit them all.

But yeah I would use the argument that all the coaches, GMs, scouts, showing up as an indicator but not price.