PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com Pat Kirwan's first mock... Stafford goes #8?

jnew76
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I thought this was a really interesting take on a post combine mock draft.

Kirwan's Mock's are notoriously inaccurate, but I think this shows that Stafford is not the slam dunk #1 pick... 3 WR's in the top 10 looks interesting and I think reflects the talent of this WR class.

Also, NO BEANIE WELLS in the first round?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80eea152&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

With that in mind, here's my first mock draft:

Team Pick Analysis

1. Detroit Lions
Jason Smith
OT, Baylor Right now, it would appear there is a bit of doubt about Matthew Stafford being worthy of the top pick in the draft. An underclassman under 6-foot-3 who ran close to 4.9 in the 40-yard dash on a number of watches has a lot to prove. Jason Smith had a fine workout, passed the eyeball test and can be plugged into the lineup for the next 10 years.

Team Pick Analysis

2. St. Louis Rams
Eugene Monroe
OT, Virginia The Rams could get serious about Michael Crabtree if the medical news about his foot is positive, but right now Monroe is a safe pick, and it transitions with the end of Orlando Pace's career. If Pace plays in 2009, Monroe can start at guard just like Jonathan Ogden did during his rookie season in Baltimore.

Team Pick Analysis

3. Kansas City Chiefs
Aaron Curry
LB, Wake Forest The Chiefs are going to build a 3-4 defense and Curry gives them a critical piece at outside linebacker. If Stafford drops to them, they will think long and hard about him because the jury is still out on Tyler Thigpen.

Team Pick Analysis

4. Seattle Seahawks
Michael Crabtree
WR, Texas Tech Only the foot injury would allow Crabtree to fall to the No. 4 spot, but his 231 receptions in just two seasons in college should be enough for the Seahawks to draft him. He's just what the doctor ordered for this offense.

Team Pick Analysis

5. Cleveland Browns
Malcolm Jenkins
CB, Ohio State The Browns have a lot of needs, and cornerback is one of them. An outside linebacker who can rush the passer is priority No. 1, but with Curry gone, local Ohio State product Malcolm Jenkins is perfect. Keep in mind that new coach Eric Mangini took Darrelle Revis in the first round when he was with the Jets.

Team Pick Analysis

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Brian Orakpo
DE/LB, Texas The Bengals have lots of needs, and they tend to ignore defense early in drafts. A wide receiver would work here, and if Crabtree slid they might do it. But they need help on defense. Orakpo is versatile and helps with a pass rush that has to improve.

Team Pick Analysis

7. Oakland Raiders
Jeremy Maclin
WR, Missouri As the Raiders release high-priced veterans, they need playmakers. I could see an offensive or defensive tackle at this spot, but Al Davis loves speed, and Maclin has a lot of it. He led the nation with over 200 all-purpose yards per game, and he could team up with Johnnie Lee Higgins to make a dangerous tandem.

Team Pick Analysis

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Matthew Stafford
QB, Georgia The Jaguars were probably thinking they had a shot at Mark Sanchez, but it's possible Stafford slides to the No. 8 spot. If the quarterbacks are gone, then Jacksonville could take a left tackle like Andre Smith or Michael Oher. Stafford would not have to take the field for a year or two while David Garrard runs the offense, which would be ideal for the Georgia star, who would become a fan favorite in a city right on the Georgia border.

Team Pick Analysis

9. Green Bay Packers
Brian Cushing
LB, USC The Packers are switching to a 3-4 defense, and they have to be thinking about an outside linebacker opposite Aaron Kampman. Cushing has played OLB, ILB, safety, defensive end and is just an all-around solid football player. At the combine, he measured in at 6-foot-3, 243 pounds, put up the 225-pound bench press 30 times, ran sub-4.7 in the 40-yard dash on a number of handheld watches and looked good in his drill work.

Team Pick Analysis

10. San Francisco 49ers
Darrius Heyward-Bey
WR, Maryland The 49ers have so many needs, and after Heyward-Bey ran a sub-4.3 in the 40 at his size, he moved up draft boards. He can stretch the field, which is critical as teams try to stop Frank Gore in the running attack. He will need to catch the ball better at his pro day to keep up the momentum he built at the combine.

Team Pick Analysis

11. Buffalo Bills
Everette Brown
DE/LB, Florida State The Bills need a pass rush and an outside linebacker. Brown could satisfy both issues. After Brown measured in at 6-foot-1 and 256 pounds, he really moved to the linebacker group instead of the defensive end group that he worked out with in Indianapolis. His 20 sacks over the last two years can't be overlooked.

Team Pick Analysis

12. Denver Broncos
B.J. Raji
DT, Boston College The Broncos have a long way to go to convert their defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. They simply aren't big enough up front to be a two-gap team or have enough pass rush to protect the corners. Raji is a good fit in any front, and while the Broncos are playing a mix of the two fronts, at least they would add a big man (337 pounds) inside to help stop the run and collapse the pocket.

Team Pick Analysis

13. Washington Redskins
Andre Smith
OT, Alabama Smith created quite a stir at the combine by leaving unannounced and not working out. He is immature in some respects and could have some weight issues, but he's one heck of a talent. He's a guy who can maul opponents and has extremely long arms (35 3/8) to pass block. Washington takes him as it prepares for the end of Chris Samuels' career.

Team Pick Analysis

14. New Orleans Saints
Vontae Davis
CB, Illinois Defense is the reason the Saints haven't made a run at the Super Bowl. They paid a lot of money to the defensive line, and while they could be considered underachievers, the secondary also needs help. Davis is a big corner and could start from day one.

Team Pick Analysis

15. Houston Texans
Tyson Jackson
DE, LSU Jackson is one of the few true 4-3 left defensive-end candidates in the draft. He weighed in at 295 pounds, and he could really help opposite Mario Williams. As teams run the ball away from Williams, the Texans need a stout player holding up the strong side. Jackson will never get the protection schemes his way and he should generate some needed pass rush from the left side. His 4.96 time in the 40 is a bit pedestrian, but his 27 tackles for a loss and 18.5 sacks during his career at LSU make him a solid pick.

Team Pick Analysis

16. San Diego Chargers
Rey Maualuga
LB, USC Maualuga is a perfect fit as the strong inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He would bring the passion that hasn't been around at the position since Junior Seau.

Team Pick Analysis

17. New York Jets
Hakeem Nicks
WR, North Carolina Nicks is the big receiver the Jets have been looking for to play opposite Jerricho Cotchery. The Jets could be looking at a cornerback or defensive end, but Nicks should be the highest-graded player on the board. His postseason bowl performance removed any doubt about his first-round grade.

Team Pick Analysis

18. Chicago Bears
Michael Oher
OT, Mississippi The Bears got old at tackle in a hurry, and the retirement of John Tait created a sense of urgency. Chris Williams should be good at right tackle and Oher could man the left side. In one pick, Chicago cements its young bookends for the next 10 years. Always like a tackle with over 45 college starts.

Team Pick Analysis

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Aaron Maybin
DE/LB, Penn State Pay close attention to what the Bucs do in free agency. Former GM Bruce Allen left the team with more salary-cap space than anyone could imagine. For now, a young player like Maybin, who could be groomed at linebacker and rush the passer, makes sense. I'm not so sure Maybin can play linebacker. As one GM told me, "He's a 250-pound pass rusher who can't do much else." His combine performance in linebacker drills suggests he may be able to drop back in coverage. I might like him more in a 3-4 defense, but he is intriguing at this point in the draft. His lack of experience (10 college starts) could move him down the draft in the weeks to come.

Team Pick Analysis

20. Detroit Lions
(from Dallas Cowboys)
Mark Sanchez
QB, USC It could work out that the Lions get their QB on their second pick in the first round. Sanchez needs a great pro day to get back into the top 10. If he doesn't wow the offensive coordinators, he could slide down in the draft to this spot. Sanchez has the skills to win in the NFL, but he will need time to develop -- and Detroit may not have the time to let him learn from the bench.

Team Pick Analysis

21. Philadelphia Eagles

Eben Britton
OT, Arizona The Eagles need an offensive tackle, and this is the last player at that position that grades out as a first-rounder. They might decide to take a look at Connecticut's William Beatty a bit later and take a running back or wide receiver here, but history shows Andy Reid likes to take guys in the first round who play with their hand on the ground.

Team Pick Analysis

22. Minnesota Vikings

Percy Harvin
WR, Florida Another playmaker for the passing game would be nice for whomever wins the QB job in Minnesota. The Vikings may be tempted to take a defenstive tackle like Peria Jerry to get in the rotation with Pat Williams, but they got good effort from their backups last year. Harvin would light up the Metrodome working out of the slot.

Team Pick Analysis

23. New England Patriots

Knowshon Moreno
RB, Georgia Kevin Faulk isn't getting any younger, Laurence Maroney has issues staying healthy and you can never have enough good running backs. Moreno has a chance to be like Tiki Barber, an all-around back.

Team Pick Analysis

24. Atlanta Falcons

Peria Jerry
DT, Mississippi The Falcons have to beef up the middle of their defense with solid young run stoppers. Jerry is a 300-pound run stuffer who will not be available later in the draft. His 32 tackles for a loss in the last two years at Mississippi tells you the kind of inside force he can be.

Team Pick Analysis

25. Miami Dolphins

Larry English
DE/LB, Northern Illinois I've interviewed English three times already, and he is an impressive young man who looks like Takeo Spikes and plays with a tireless motor. In the Dolphins' 3-4 defense, he could line up at OLB and get after the QB. His 31.5 sacks and 57 tackles for a loss in college make him the perfect complement to Joey Porter. He had two handheld 40-yard dash times under 4.8.

Team Pick Analysis

26. Baltimore Ravens

Darius Butler
CB, Connecticut The Ravens may want another corner, but for now the UConn corner gets the call. Some of the other corners are in the 5-foot-8 range and the Ravens may be looking for someone a bit taller. Butler measured in at 5-foot-10 3/8 and was impressive in his interviews.

Team Pick Analysis

27. Indianapolis Colts

James Laurinaitis
LB, Ohio State Laurinaitis may be slipping out of the first round after his 4.80 time in the 40, but his college production -- 375 tackles with nine interceptions and 13 sacks -- says he belongs among the top 32 players. His stats speak volumes about his playmaking ability. The combine didn't help him, but the game tapes will.

Team Pick Analysis

28. Philadelphia Eagles
(from Carolina Panthers)
Kenny Britt
WR, Rutgers The Eagles could take a big running back like Chris "Beanie" Wells from Ohio State here, but Britt gets the call this week. He's big (6-foot-2 7/8, 214 pounds) and explosive. He would be a nice complement to DeSean Jackson. If the Eagles sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh during free agency, then they're set to take a running back.

Team Pick Analysis

29. New York Giants
Michael Johnson
DE, Georgia Tech Johnson is not without his critics, but the combine really helped him regain some of his first-round status. There was no one like him physically in Indianapolis, as he checked in at 6-foot-6 7/8, 266 pounds with a 4.67 time in the 40. He can move like a linebacker, rush the passer and probably be a short-yardage tight end. In the weeks to come, he will be moving up the draft board and probably be gone by the time the Giants select.

Team Pick Analysis

30. Tennessee Titans
Robert Ayers
DE, Tennessee Ayers made a statement at the Senior Bowl that he can play the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage when asked. He thinks he's headed to a 3-4 team as an outside linebacker, which may be true, but he really fits in with the Titans. There are some concerns about his bench press (18 reps), but as one GM said, "The last thing I worry about is strength. We can fix that."

Team Pick Analysis

31. Arizona Cardinals
Evander Hood
DT, Missouri Hood had a good combine and looked impressive in drill work. He did not come to Indianapolis as a first-round candidate, but he may be leaving as one. At 6-foot-2 7/8 and 300 pounds with 34 reps on the bench press and a sub-4.9 40, his stock is rising.

Team Pick Analysis

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jarron Gilbert
DE, San Jose State The world champs need to find a 5-technique player to be in a rotation with starters Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. Gilbert came to Indianapolis as a second- or third-round prospect, but the 6-foot-5, 288-pound player with 4.81 speed is moving up draft boards.

georgiafan
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
lol at Stafford's 40 time hurting his stock

LonghornsLegend
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't know why these guys act like QB's don't always get over drafted and over valued on draft day each year...Everyone thought Flacco was a 2nd round guy then ended up going mid 1st, if a team needs a QB nobody is just going to sit around and wait and hope he drops.

I think the chances are slim to none Stafford goes out of the top 5, and Sanchez won't slide to 20 past all those teams starved for a QB.

DeathbyStat
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I think the Rams would be tempted to take stafford

Dr_X
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
i don't see Jax taking a QB. they gave Garrard a pretty heft deal, and once you draft a QB with that high of a pick, the incumbent is pretty much undermined immediatey. i don;t see them giving up a guy they liked because of 1 bad year behind a beat up, lousy, OL.

killxswitch
02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
This "pro" mock is already dumb and I haven't even gotten to the Colts pick yet. Maybin in the 1st to Tampa Bay? I guess if they saw him as a future Dwight Freeney...

YAYareaRB
02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
According to that, Matt Stafford could realistically slip to the 49ers. I wouldn't be totally against taking DHB though. I mean Stafford get passed up by the Lions and Kirwan has the Jags taking them who already have Garrard. Then there's the Packers who are certain Aaron Rodgers is THEE man. And then you have us.. Stafford would be too good to pass on.

jnew76
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
WOW, If you thought Kirwan was low on Stafford, Scott's buddy, Matt Bitonti at Draftdaddy.com has him going #19 to the Bucs.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/index.htm

georgiafan
02-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Can you image what the jets fan would do if Stafford fell to #17 and they passed on him. That would be a classic

MetSox17
02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I'd puke if the Texans took Tyson Jackson. He looks so much like Marcus Spears.

Flyboy
02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
It's not out of the realm of possibility as some think it may be imo.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Jerron Gibert in the 1st round??? lol Maybe if football was played in a pool.

And if my Bears took Oher to play LT Id be pissed. Chris Williams is a pure LT while Oher would be a ProBowl RT.

Kirwin sucks.

BroadwayJoe10
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Can you image what the jets fan would do if Stafford fell to #17 and they passed on him. That would be a classic

Yes, I can imagine...Pretty sure there would be multiple arrests, chairs thrown...actually no, I can't picture it. It's too disturbing to picture hah.

Menardo75
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
None of the NFL.com mocks are any good. If you want a laugh read Steve Whyche's.

Splat
02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
If Det and KC pass on Matthew Stafford I don't see him falling out of the top ten.

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM

just look up the video on youtube.

wow, Cushing at 9 LOL!

CashmoneyDrew
02-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Don Banks has Stafford falling to 10 to the 9ers. He also has Michael Oher falling out of the first round.

Crickett
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
just look up the video on youtube.

wow, Cushing at 9 LOL!

The Jets obviously know something we don't.

:( :( :(

Splat
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
The Jets obviously know something we don't.

Classic...

RaiderNation
02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
If Maclin is drafted by Oakland at #7, I will be pissed

BaLLiN
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
well basically the giants have 2 probowl DEs already, Kiwi is probably the best pure passrusher of all of them, why would we need another pure pass rusher?

Splat
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM

It very well could happen.

Matthew Jones
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
I love how Kirwan justifies Stafford falling to #8 (to a team that gave its quarterback a contract worth as much as Tom Brady's...LAST YEAR) based (in part) on his 4.8 40 yard dash. Really? That's going to prevent you from drafting a pretty prototypical pocket passer #1, a 40 yard dash? If the guy was Michael Vick in college and ran a 4.8, I can see it. Here, absolutely not. I would rather take Jason Smith #1, but if they think Stafford is a stud in the NFL, by all means he should be the #1 pick.

I also don't see Stafford slipping all the way that far in general. I think Kansas City would take him #3 because Aaron Curry isn't an ideal rush linebacker in a 3-4 (based on his performance on the field, not his combine) and because Tyler Thigpen is NOT a franchise signal caller, or clutch in the slightest. He won what, one game last year? Look at his numbers by quarter:

Q1 56/90, 633 yards, 62%, 5 TD, 1 INT
Q2 59/113, 794 yards, 52%, 8 TD, 5 INT
Q3 53/93, 557 yards, 57%, 1 TD, 2 INT
Q4 62/120, 626 yards, 52%, 4 TD, 4 INT

Doesn't look like someone I'd trust in the fourth quarter of my games. I think they have to take Stafford if he's there unless they're really sold on Brian Orakpo as a 3-4 outside linebacker (which I'm not.) Remember the Falcons last year? Ex-Patriots front office guy comes in knowing you need a QB to win, drafts Matt Ryan #3, gets his young left tackle and a solid running back (hint: the Chiefs have Branden Albert and Larry Johnson on roster) and goes to the playoffs. Atlanta took Ryan over Dorsey last year, and as for building from the defensive line, Kansas City has two first round picks ALREADY in Dorsey and Tamba Hali.

I also think Malcolm Jenkins has probably fallen out of the top five. I'm not a big fan of taking a projection in the top five picks of the draft (OT to OG, DT to DE, DE to OLB, etc.) and I don't think Jenkins really has what it takes to play cornerback at an elite level. He can play a good game against some of the bigger, slower guys, but I don't see him running with a Steve Smith type speed receiver. This is the range I'd be comfortable with Curry or Chris Wells (I highly doubt Mangini drafts Orakpo, a guy who has been criticized for his motor, a year after the Vernon Gholston debacle.)

Brian Cushing is also not a top-ten pick. He didn't impress much at the combine in his 40 or vertical as he expected to, and if I'm not mistaken, James Laurinaitis was actually a couple pounds bigger than him during weigh-ins. He has concerns regarding his durability and he doesn't have as much experience at linebacker as people think. I'd take B.J. Raji there, otherwise Everette Brown.

I don't really like Tyson Jackson there in the middle of the first round - I really think his best fit is outside at end in a 3-4 and while I know he has some 4-3 end experience, they could probably find a better way to generate a pass rush than by taking a guy who's not really known for his ability to get after the quarterback. This guy shuts down rushing lanes and he does it well, but I think taking first-round run stoppers at end for a 4-3 is kind of a waste, as you can generally find that later, and people like Jamaal Anderson have done nothing to prove me wrong.

There's no way I'd take Aaron Maybin at #19 if I'm Tampa Bay. He timed badly after adding on extra weight (to get up to 250 pounds, which still isn't that big) and this guy has little to no experience. He's basically a one year wonder and I'd like to see a bigger body of work and more impressive physical tools. He could be a player 2-3 years down the line, but look at him during some of his games and he has nothing but the speed rush - no moves to go to, and he offers absolutely nothing in the run game.

I'm REALLY hoping the Patriots don't take Knowshon Moreno in the first round. This has to be a defensive pick. Both of the last two times they've collapsed at the end of the game (Colts in the AFC Championship, Giants in the Super Bowl), it's been the defense. Tom Brady was driving up and down the field scoring with the Colts, and they went out and got a bunch of offensive guys when the defense let up what, 38? Tom Brady got pummeled for four quarters and drove down the field and scored with two minutes left against the Giants and the defense gave it up. It's gotta be a linebacker or defensive back.

Anyone who doesn't think James Laurinaitis is going to be a 10 year starter in the NFL has got to be kidding themselves. I don't understand why everyone hates on this guy. He's top-notch in every category people claim to look at (intangibles, intelligence, work ethic, versatility, play recognition, leadership, competitiveness), he runs a bad 40, and now everyone hates him? Give the guy a break. As for people who have nicknamed him "pile jumper" - watch some Ohio State games. I'd be glad to send you some.

How the hell did Robert Ayers get into the first round? This guy is barely a draftable prospect last year, picks up four sacks this year, which isn't even that impressive, and suddenly he's a first round pick? He's short, not particularly fast, not particularly strong, can't really rush the passer that well, and only turned it on in post-season all-star games and in his senior (contract) season. Tennessee needed a wide receiver last year, didn't address it, and I think they have to this time.

And where the **** is Beanie Wells in this mock draft? This was a God awful mock. The only praise I can give Kirwan is that this is some serious "out of the box" thinking.

Solomon
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Jerron Gibert in the 1st round??? lol Maybe if football was played in a pool.

Kirwin sucks.

I could see Gilbert going in the late first round, early second round area. Now that people have heard about him alot of ppl tend to think he is some sort of workout warrior like Kentwan Balmer. You're right football isn't played in a pool it's played on a football field, a field where Gilbert led all interior linemen in the nation with 21.5 TFL and 9 sacks.

Matthew Jones
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I could see Gilbert going in the late first round, early second round area. Now that people have heard about him alot of ppl tend to think he is some sort of workout warrior like Kentwan Balmer. You're right football isn't played in a pool it's played on a football field, a field where Gilbert led all interior linemen in the nation with 21.5 TFL and 9 sacks.

Nice statistic, and I agree with your sentiments on his draft position. I do think he's similar to Kentwan Balmer though. That's a good comparison.

hagy34
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Please give us Harvin. Please.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Personally, I see more of Luis Castillo in Jarron Gilbert than I do Kentwan Balmer... but considering that Castillo and Balmer were both late 1st round picks, seeing Gilbert there really wouldn't surprise anybody.

What I am surprised at, however, is Cushing at #9. Just doesn't seem plausible. There's too much at OLB that you could catch high in the second or with a trade-up back into the bottom of the first to justify taking a guy like that in the top 10.

Saints-Tigers
02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I love Tyson Jackson and all, but LOL at calling him a pure 4-3 DE.

Babylon
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I love how Kirwan justifies Stafford falling to #8 (to a team that gave its quarterback a contract worth as much as Tom Brady's...LAST YEAR) based (in part) on his 4.8 40 yard dash. Really? That's going to prevent you from drafting a pretty prototypical pocket passer #1, a 40 yard dash? If the guy was Michael Vick in college and ran a 4.8, I can see it. Here, absolutely not. I would rather take Jason Smith #1, but if they think Stafford is a stud in the NFL, by all means he should be the #1 pick.

I also don't see Stafford slipping all the way that far in general. I think Kansas City would take him #3 because Aaron Curry isn't an ideal rush linebacker in a 3-4 (based on his performance on the field, not his combine) and because Tyler Thigpen is NOT a franchise signal caller, or clutch in the slightest. He won what, one game last year? Look at his numbers by quarter:

Doesn't look like someone I'd trust in the fourth quarter of my games. I think they have to take Stafford if he's there unless they're really sold on Brian Orakpo as a 3-4 outside linebacker (which I'm not.) Remember the Falcons last year? Ex-Patriots front office guy comes in knowing you need a QB to win, drafts Matt Ryan #3, gets his young left tackle and a solid running back (hint: the Chiefs have Branden Albert and Larry Johnson on roster) and goes to the playoffs. Atlanta took Ryan over Dorsey last year, and as for building from the defensive line, Kansas City has two first round picks ALREADY in Dorsey and Tamba Hali.

I also think Malcolm Jenkins has probably fallen out of the top five. I'm not a big fan of taking a projection in the top five picks of the draft (OT to OG, DT to DE, DE to OLB, etc.) and I don't think Jenkins really has what it takes to play cornerback at an elite level. He can play a good game against some of the bigger, slower guys, but I don't see him running with a Steve Smith type speed receiver. This is the range I'd be comfortable with Curry or Chris Wells (I highly doubt Mangini drafts Orakpo, a guy who has been criticized for his motor, a year after the Vernon Gholston debacle.)

Brian Cushing is also not a top-ten pick. He didn't impress much at the combine in his 40 or vertical as he expected to, and if I'm not mistaken, James Laurinaitis was actually a couple pounds bigger than him during weigh-ins. He has concerns regarding his durability and he doesn't have as much experience at linebacker as people think. I'd take B.J. Raji there, otherwise Everette Brown.

I don't really like Tyson Jackson there in the middle of the first round - I really think his best fit is outside at end in a 3-4 and while I know he has some 4-3 end experience, they could probably find a better way to generate a pass rush than by taking a guy who's not really known for his ability to get after the quarterback. This guy shuts down rushing lanes and he does it well, but I think taking first-round run stoppers at end for a 4-3 is kind of a waste, as you can generally find that later, and people like Jamaal Anderson have done nothing to prove me wrong.

There's no way I'd take Aaron Maybin at #19 if I'm Tampa Bay. He timed badly after adding on extra weight (to get up to 250 pounds, which still isn't that big) and this guy has little to no experience. He's basically a one year wonder and I'd like to see a bigger body of work and more impressive physical tools. He could be a player 2-3 years down the line, but look at him during some of his games and he has nothing but the speed rush - no moves to go to, and he offers absolutely nothing in the run game.

I'm REALLY hoping the Patriots don't take Knowshon Moreno in the first round. This has to be a defensive pick. Both of the last two times they've collapsed at the end of the game (Colts in the AFC Championship, Giants in the Super Bowl), it's been the defense. Tom Brady was driving up and down the field scoring with the Colts, and they went out and got a bunch of offensive guys when the defense let up what, 38? Tom Brady got pummeled for four quarters and drove down the field and scored with two minutes left against the Giants and the defense gave it up. It's gotta be a linebacker or defensive back.

Anyone who doesn't think James Laurinaitis is going to be a 10 year starter in the NFL has got to be kidding themselves. I don't understand why everyone hates on this guy. He's top-notch in every category people claim to look at (intangibles, intelligence, work ethic, versatility, play recognition, leadership, competitiveness), he runs a bad 40, and now everyone hates him? Give the guy a break. As for people who have nicknamed him "pile jumper" - watch some Ohio State games. I'd be glad to send you some.

How the hell did Robert Ayers get into the first round? This guy is barely a draftable prospect last year, picks up four sacks this year, which isn't even that impressive, and suddenly he's a first round pick? He's short, not particularly fast, not particularly strong, can't really rush the passer that well, and only turned it on in post-season all-star games and in his senior (contract) season. Tennessee needed a wide receiver last year, didn't address it, and I think they have to this time.

And where the **** is Beanie Wells in this mock draft? This was a God awful mock. The only praise I can give Kirwan is that this is some serious "out of the box" thinking.

I think you're off a bit on Cushing and i'm not sure he's a top 10 pick either.

He's 6-2 3/4 243, JL is 6-1 3/4 244.At the combine Cushing ran a 4.67 that was adjusted up had a 10' jump, 35" vertical and 30 reps. Also he played 3 years at OLB at SC and 1 year standing up on the DE (3-4 OLB type) Not disagreeing on the top 10 debate but wanted to point some of those other things out.

SaintsMan
02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd rather Chris Wells or Michael Oher.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
AJ Hawk was a much better prospect/instinctive playmaker at Ohio State than Laurinaitis, (with legit 4.5 speed), and he's just a decent to average LB in the NFL.

Laurinaitis will start for whoever drafts him, but he won't be a star or a pro bowler.
He benefits greatly playing for Ohio State, still an alright LB prospect, but he's far from great.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
AJ Hawk was a much better prospect/instinctive playmaker at Ohio State than Laurinaitis, (with legit 4.5 speed), and he's just a decent to average LB in the NFL.

Not to say that A.J. hasn't disappointed somewhat, but it will be interesting to see how the change in scheme affects him. He was basically drafted to play Will in a defense that minimizes the impact of the WOLB. He was assignment sure and didn't miss tackles, it's just that the scheme never put him in position to make plays. This year, when he finally got to move inside, he already had about three injuries that hurt his effectiveness.

It'll be interesting to see how well he plays inside this year.

Matthew Jones
02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Also, let's not forget that A.J. Hawk and James Laurinatis are two different prospects, just like Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers. Just because Rivers got his jaw broken by Hines Ward doesn't mean Rey is going to as a result of playing at the same school.

wicket
02-27-2009, 07:26 PM
i cant take a mock seriously that has vontae davis going to the saints

wogitalia
02-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Tyler Thigpen is NOT a franchise signal caller, or clutch in the slightest. He won what, one game last year? Look at his numbers by quarter:

Doesn't look like someone I'd trust in the fourth quarter of my games.

That's not really a fair way of analysing a guy. The Chiefs were pretty ordinary before Thigpen, they were very competitive with him at QB but still had games where in the 4th he was having to pass. You put a QB and defense in a position where everyone knows it's pass and the defense should do better.

I'm not saying he is a franchise QB by any means, I tried to not watch Chiefs games when I could and as a result didn't see a lot of him, but I saw enough to know that he did pretty well behind a pretty weak line with very few weapons.

NotRickJames
02-27-2009, 10:12 PM

The idea of the Chiefs taking Stafford is a bad idea, to say the least. They've got two guys in Brodie Croyle and Thiggy. Croyle was playing excellent football right before his injury. Also, Thigpen could very well be a franchise QB, and I'd be willing to bet you didn't watch a single Chiefs game when Thigpen was playing (granted, he was horrendous at the beginning, but massively improved towards the end.)

Those stats are actually pretty good, when you take into account Thigpen's experience, or lack thereof, and his surrounding talent, or lack thereof. His offensive line was mediocre, his running game mediocre, and his receivers weren't very good (Gonzalez and Bowe, no one else.)

TT Gator
02-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Stafford falling to #8?!?!? Sanchez going all the way to 20!?!? Beanie Wells not drafted in first round?!?!? Nicks gettin drafted before Harvin!?!? Jerron Gibert in the first round! What is this madness?? But in all seriousness I think Staffords a lock for the first pick and even if the Lions are dumb and go a different way I cant see him falling outta the Top 3 picks, sry. On a seperate subject is Matt Bitonti crazy? Pick 19 for Stafford? I know at least 10 teams in the first 19 who Stafford would be an improvement over their starter. Almost wish itd be true so the Jets could pick him up.

BeerBaron
02-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Ok, A, his analysis for the Bears is about as ******** as can be. Oher on the left with Williams on the right? Wtf was he smoking?

Williams is a smaller, athletic, pass blocking oriented LT. Oher is the more physical mauler who could be great on the right side.

And seriously, the only people who give the Lions anything but Stafford #1 overall are the people who force Sanchez to fall to #20. Completely asinine.

Texas Homer
02-27-2009, 10:33 PM
If the Texans want DE Tyson Jackson, I think that they might be able to trade down a little bit and still grab him.

Geason Noceur
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
20. Detroit Lions
(from Dallas Cowboys)
Mark Sanchez
QB, USC It could work out that the Lions get their QB on their second pick in the first round. Sanchez needs a great pro day to get back into the top 10. If he doesn't wow the offensive coordinators, he could slide down in the draft to this spot. Sanchez has the skills to win in the NFL, but he will need time to develop -- and Detroit may not have the time to let him learn from the bench.

Ouch! I would hate to be Sanchez if this ever happened. If you're going to get drafted by the Lions you might as well be taken #1 and get a big, fat contract. Sliding all the way to #20 and still ending up with them while getting much less money would just completely suck.

wogitalia
02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Ouch! I would hate to be Sanchez if this ever happened. If you're going to get drafted by the Lions you might as well be taken #1 and get a big, fat contract. Sliding all the way to #20 and still ending up with them while getting much less money would just completely suck.

At least they have a bigtime LT prospect to protect you. Can take Mack and another OL in the 2nd and 3rd and all of a sudden QB for the Lions looks pretty damn nice, legit # target, solid running back and what should be a nice line if they draft the right guys.

Probably better to go 20 to the Lions as a QB than first, that way you have one of the star LT instead of the guy they reach for.

I am not in anyway saying this is better for the Lions, if they could somehow guarantee either Sanchez or Stafford at 20 though, well then you have to really look at it.

BeerBaron
02-28-2009, 12:12 AM
At least they have a bigtime LT prospect to protect you. Can take Mack and another OL in the 2nd and 3rd and all of a sudden QB for the Lions looks pretty damn nice, legit # target, solid running back and what should be a nice line if they draft the right guys.

Man....that defense would still be just awful if they did that. With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, at least 2 need to go to that side of the ball.

Geason Noceur
02-28-2009, 01:42 AM

Probably better to go 20 to the Lions as a QB than first, that way you have one of the star LT instead of the guy they reach for.

I am not in anyway saying this is better for the Lions, if they could somehow guarantee either Sanchez or Stafford at 20 though, well then you have to really look at it.

I meant monetary-wise. I think it's obvious that Sanchez left early because he thought he would be the 2nd QB taken at the least. With many analysts saying that Detroit and KC needed QBs, he probably thought that he would go #3 at the latest. The money difference between #2 and #20 is very significant.

Also, this draft is loaded with O-linemen. The Lions could always get a decent LT with #20. With the way Andre Smith stock is falling it would not be very surprising if he was available there.

StripedWalrus
02-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Team Pick Analysis

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Brian Orakpo
DE/LB, Texas The Bengals have lots of needs, and they tend to ignore defense early in drafts. A wide receiver would work here, and if Crabtree slid they might do it. But they need help on defense. Orakpo is versatile and helps with a pass rush that has to improve.

The Bengals have ignored defense early in drafts?

Here is the Bengals last 4 First round draft picks

lb Keith Rivers - 08
cb Keon Hall - 07
cb J. Joseph - 06
de - David Pollack - 05

05 also saw Odell Thurman taken in the second

In the third Round since 05 Pat Sims and Frostee Rucker were taken.

BBIB
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
None of the NFL.com mocks are any good. If you want a laugh read Steve Whyche's.

His is the best one...

TACKLE
02-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, additional generic complaint about original, well researched mock!!!!! I'm so much smarter than these guys. OMGZZZZZZ!!!!

Donno
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah Maclin is soo quick with his 4.45 40, jackass...

Xonraider
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Yeah, honestly, I'd rather have DHB, and considering Al Davis is like ''OMGZZ ORGASMMSZZ HE CAN RUNZZZ!!!1!!1 SPEED KILLZZZ!!!!!'' I think its more likely we draft DHB than Maclin (not that I think it will happen though)

initial_flo
03-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Is a WR basically a lock for the Raiders? That's pretty much all I've been seeing.

Leon Sandcastle
03-01-2009, 11:22 PM
There's a outside shot that Stafford and Sanchez fall out of the Top 10. The Niners looked poised to sign Warner. The Rams and Jaguars need major help with their O-line and the Seahawks look poised to draft Crabtree especially after T.J. Who'sYourMomma bailed on them.

The Bears and Jets could trade up and stop the slide but there's an outside chance.

Depends on who the Lions like more, Jason Smith, Aaron Curry or Matthew Stafford.