PDA

View Full Version : DE or LB Aaron Maybin value?

JohnCandy
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I know he didn't scorch the 40 like we were all thinking but I think that he performed well in other drills.

What are people's opinion of DE/LB Aaron Maybin,

Can he play DE?

Where will he be drafted?

What are his chances of success?

BeerBaron
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I strongly doubt he will be playing DE in the pros. His explosion is his best attribute and I think he did show at the combine that the extra weight slowed him down.

I think he's going to be a late 1st round 3-4 OLB when all is said and done, if not drop into the early 2nd.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Personally, on my board after the combine I moved him ahead of Brown and he's now the #2 pure pass rusher on my board. The kid's going to need a lot of seasoning, but he has a great frame and a great burst. Don't pay attention to Maybin's 40 (how often is he going to run half the field) pay attention to his vert. 38.0" and his frame, will let him get to the QB in the NFL.

He'll probably take a couple years of seasoning, but he's a guy you draft him on his monstrous upside. The prospects of him playing 4-3 DE soon aren't great, since he has a lot of filling out to do. I could see a 3-4 team taking a flyer on him in the top 15 as an OLB though. Chances of success depend a lot on whether he can fill out his frame without losing his burst, how good a fit he is where he ends up, and how coachable he is. If he goes where his upside says he might, he's a risky pick, but I like the kid.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I strongly doubt he will be playing DE in the pros. His explosion is his best attribute and I think he did show at the combine that the extra weight slowed him down.

I think he's going to be a late 1st round 3-4 OLB when all is said and done, if not drop into the early 2nd.

I've noticed a lot of guys who have seen a lot of PSU games don't really like Maybin. We've seen a lot, if not all of his games, and the chances he succeeds as a DE are just about zero. And the transition to LB looks very difficult, though he showed some positive signs in the drills...

bitonti
02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
maybin shows very little of what it takes to be a 3-4 OLB. a player like Connor Barwin is prototypical of what you want. Direction change, flex hips, the entire package.

my prediction Barwin goes higher and Maybin falls to round 2.

BeerBaron
02-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I've noticed a lot of guys who have seen a lot of PSU games don't really like Maybin. We've seen a lot, if not all of his games, and the chances he succeeds as a DE are just about zero. And the transition to LB looks very difficult, though he showed some positive signs in the drills...

Agreed. I don't question his ability to explode off the snap and go right for the QB. That we saw plenty of...but like you and I said, he's going to get pushed around if he tries to play with his hand down as a pro.

And yes, the transition to 3-4 OLB is going to be hard, but he's still more likely to succeed as a pro there than at 4-3 end.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Agreed. I don't question his ability to explode off the snap and go right for the QB. That we saw plenty of...but like you and I said, he's going to get pushed around if he tries to play with his hand down as a pro.

And yes, the transition to 3-4 OLB is going to be hard, but he's still more likely to succeed as a pro there than at 4-3 end.

His chance to succeed is at its optimum at 3-4 OLB, no doubt about that. He really needs to work on his lower body strength, no matter what. He showed he can pack on the muscle in his upper body, but he needs strength in his legs. If he adds strength to his legs, he could end up faster than what he was at the combine for long speed, plus he will be better suited at any position, and just be a better overall player.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
All Maybin needs NFL coaching to play DE. He's a raw prospect I'd draft on what he could be in 3-4 years. I believe Maybin's 20 years old?

I agree with PossibleCabbage he needs to really strengthen his base, work up to leg pressing 500-600 max, and develop better pass rush moves.

It all depends where he goes, but if he could land with a team like Giants, that would be the perfect situation for him!

underscore
02-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I've noticed a lot of guys who have seen a lot of PSU games don't really like Maybin.

I haven't seen anyone like that.

The only problem with Maybin is that he won't be an immediate impact player. He's got the frame for more weight and the skill to be a LB.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I haven't seen anyone like that.

The only problem with Maybin is that he won't be an immediate impact player. He's got the frame for more weight and the skill to be a LB.

I'm from PA, BB's from PA, we've seen him play just about every snap at PSU. There are others, but we're the only two who have been in this particular Maybin thread yet. It was a trend I was noticing just from checking at people's locations and some people who I know are in the area who can see Maybin a bunch.

I'd say his upper body is close to maxed out. He can add maybe 5 or 10 more lbs to his upper body/abdomen, but thats going to be as useful as tits on a bull if he doesn't add lower body weight...

Babylon
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
All Maybin needs NFL coaching to play DE. He's a raw prospect I'd raft on what he could be in 3-4 years. I believe Maybin's 20 years old?

I agree with PossibleCabbage he needs to really strengthen his base, work up to leg pressing 500-600 max, and develop better pass rush moves.

It all depends where he goes, but if he could land with a team like Giants, that would be the perfect situation for him!

Unlike the NBA teams like to get someone that can in and contribute right away. Maybin should have stayed in school but someone will take him. If i'm a good team picking in the latter part of round 1 i would go in a differant direction. He'd look real good as a 2nd round pick.

Grizzlegom
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
as someone who has watched all of Maybin's games at the college level, i have a hard time believing he wont succeed in the NFL. Aside from Puz, he is the hardest worker ive seen on the football team in my four years as a student.

i am in agreement with everyone that he should have stayed one more year but i think he is under-rated on these boards. His ideal spot is probably OLB in a 3-4 but i think he could play in a 4-3 scheme like Jim Bates'. When i see maybin play i just see Jason Taylor clone written all over him. He is a few inches shorter but he's still tall and lanky with one of the best first steps i've ever seen. His pass-rushing skills are second to none in this draft (i think him and Orakpo are equal) and he looked like the most explosive guy in the drills, especially after orakpo got hurt. I think his value is top 15 and it wouldnt surprise me if he was the first DE/OLB taken. I think he is number two at worst and if he goes later than Houston i'd be VERY surprised.

Borat
02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Aaron Maybin: DO NOT WANT