PDA

View Full Version : Can Everette Brown play DE in the 4-3?

JohnCandy
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Everette Brown

6'2"
256lbs
4.73 [40]
26 reps

Can he play DE in the 4-3 he hsa similar size to Dwight Freeney coming out and his spin move is raved about?

regoob2
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I definitely think he can. He has good bulk and is a terrific pass rusher. He'd be a tampa 2 DE or RE. He's not going to be a run stuffer but he can get you 10+ sacks.

BeerBaron
02-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Absolutely. I actually like Everette in the 4-3 end role more than I like, say, Maybin in any role.

I don't however see him going super, super high though. College DE's transferring to pro 3-4 OLB's just don't go that high. Some of the best ones we have now like Ware and Merrimen were picked outside the top 10.

I think Cleveland might be his best bet and he certainly won't be around past the Packers and Niners. But I doubt he goes all the way up to the Chiefs unless Stafford and Curry go 1-2, and even then I'm iffy.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm not high on Brown at all. He's fast and quick, but he's just not explosive. If he gets in the right training regimen and he improves his lower body strength without sacrificing his speed, he has a shot, but I don't like him anywhere near as much as guys like Orakpo or Maybin. As it stands though, his combine workout leads me to believe he's the sort of guy who's going to be solo-blocked by TEs much of his career. 31.5" on the vert with his size and his position is really troubling, he's getting out jumped by DTs who outweigh him by 40 lbs. The possibility that he'll be Jamal Reynolds 2.0 is significant.

I wouldn't take him before the late first, personally.

Babylon
02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not high on Brown at all. He's fast and quick, but he's just not explosive. If he gets in the right training regimen and he improves his lower body strength without sacrificing his speed, he has a shot, but I don't like him anywhere near as much as guys like Orakpo or Maybin. As it stands though, his combine workout leads me to believe he's the sort of guy who's going to be solo-blocked by TEs much of his career. 31.5" on the vert with his size and his position is really troubling, he's getting out jumped by DTs who outweigh him by 40 lbs. The possibility that he'll be Jamal Reynolds 2.0 is significant.

I wouldn't take him before the late first, personally.

I agree. Obviously he can play DE just dont think he would be that good at it. like him better later in round 1. Same for Maybin so i'll not add to that post.

keylime_5
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
He can but his best bet by far is OLB.

Chio151
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
He will go flying right on past the Packers. I honestly wouldn't want him until the 2nd round.

His vertical jump and broad jump were terrible and he doesn't have enough straight-line speed to compensate. He's weak at the point of attack. Wisconsin blocked him the whole game with just a tight end.

Bad bad prospect if you're talking first half of the first round.

Babylon
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
He will go flying right on past the Packers. I honestly wouldn't want him until the 2nd round.

His vertical jump and broad jump were terrible and he doesn't have enough straight-line speed to compensate. He's weak at the point of attack. Wisconsin blocked him the whole game with just a tight end.

I dont usually like to single out a school when looking at players but Florida State DEs scare me.

SenorGato
02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Absolutely. I actually like Everette in the 4-3 end role more than I like, say, Maybin in any role.

I don't however see him going super, super high though. College DE's transferring to pro 3-4 OLB's just don't go that high. Some of the best ones we have now like Ware and Merrimen were picked outside the top 10.

I think Cleveland might be his best bet and he certainly won't be around past the Packers and Niners. But I doubt he goes all the way up to the Chiefs unless Stafford and Curry go 1-2, and even then I'm iffy.

Ware and Merriman went 11 and 12...4 drafts ago when less teams played a 3-4.

I think Brown's best position is at 3-4 OLB...I also think he's better than most of the other Florida State DE's that have come out recently...I hope he falls like many are saying here.

bitonti
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
everette brown is like the 400 pound gorilla

he plays anywhere he wants

he's the #1 player in the country on my big board

that's how good of a pass rusher he is.

the guy carried Florida State's defense on his back

he dominated very good opposition and made tons of big plays

he's a couple inches shorter than you'd like but his production speaks for itself.

i don't see him falling out of the top 10 sorry

phlysac
02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I find some of the criticism of Brown hypocritical. Everyone wants you to look at specific combine numbers as proof he won't be that great yet tell you to avoid certain combine numbers from other players. Often times, the Wisconsin game is brought up... guess what Brown recorded a sack in that game. My analysis is this... Brown may not be as explosive as Maybin, however, he has measured faster straight-line speed and more rush moves than Maybin. If we are to consider how explosive Maybin is off of the ball then we should also consider what made Brown so great and that is his quickness off the snap. It doesn't matter how "explosive" he is if his ability to react to the snap is as amazing as he showed in college.

BeerBaron
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I really, truly hope that all the teams in front of the Bears are as negative on him as most of you guys here. He'll be a double digit sack machine in our defense similar I think to how Simeon Rice was with the Bucs.

Chio151
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I really, truly hope that all the teams in front of the Bears are as negative on him as most of you guys here. He'll be a double digit sack machine in our defense similar I think to how Simeon Rice was with the Bucs.

I can honestly say I hope he goes to the Bears. I am that down on him that I would prefer for him to slide right to you.

He's a mess.

Voldemort
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Brown is a beast. Just watching him pump his arms when he chases the quarterback is entertaining. Noone tries harder. All the criticism is unwarranted.

BuddyCHRIST
02-26-2009, 04:18 PM

Umm what? No they didn't when Wisconsin had to start throwing is when FSU blew that game open because Everette was all over the QB. He might have only one sack but their QB was on the run alot with Everette chasing him.

I can understand people being wary with a few FSU DE's busting, but remember Peter Boulware played DE at FSU and made the 3-4 switch and excelled.

His work ethic, motor and character will make him a solid starter at the very least.

summond822
02-26-2009, 07:58 PM
He's impressed me enough, that I wouldn't be upset if the Seahawks decided to take him at 4. He'd fit right into our defense and I get the feeling that Brown is going to be special. Before I get criticized for this, let me point out the NYG and you can't have too many pass rushers. (Especially since we have Kerney who is on the downside of his career)

I'd actually be a little bit more worried about him converting to a 3-4 OLB because I don't really know about how he would do in space. As soon as he rushes the passer though he'd fit in fine.

Malaka
02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I definitely think Everette Brown can play 4-3 DE in the NFL, but only on a Cover 2 team like the Colts or Bears.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
No question he could be an OLB in a 4-3 too. Just released Marcus Washington was a DE at Auburn and was a very productive OLB for the Skins, at one point he was outplaying Lavar Arrington as the Skins best LB.

Athletic hybrid DE/OLB types are usually versatile enough to thrive in any system. I'm curious how well he rushes from a standing position, still see him gone in the top 15 picks.

G08
02-26-2009, 10:00 PM

Amen. I'd kill to have the beloved draft Brown.

Although, if we had a choice of Brown and Oher, I think I'd have to take Oher...

sporzy
02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
As another Bears fan, I'd love to see him in navy and orange. He's the only DE I'd take at that spot (realistically) and I'd take him without blinking at #18.

shady00
02-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I really, truly hope that all the teams in front of the Bears are as negative on him as most of you guys here.
I say a prayer every night before bed time