PDA

View Full Version : Chase Coffman is UNDERRATED

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I can't even believe some people don't even have Coffman on their list of top 5 Tight Ends. He is arguably the best TE in this draft. He's going to be a stud in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv6ORtqmEpY

I mean, the greatest hands I've ever seen and great ball skills. His speed is underrated, most people think he's a high 4.8- low 4.9 guy....I think he runs in the low 4.7s.

Why is he getting no love?

Babylon
02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Mainly because he's been hurt. I like Chase and think he'd be a matchup nightmare for DBs and LBs but the foot injury drops him down. If he can run by draft day i think he could get a 2nd round call.

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Mainly because he's been hurt. I like Chase and think he'd be a matchup nightmare for DBs and LBs but the foot injury drops him down. If he can run by draft day i think he could get a 2nd round call.

He says he is running at Missouri's pro day.

TheBuffaloBills
02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I am a huge fan of Coffman. I would have made a thread like this sooner rather than later. I guess it is because of his injury. He will be a stud.

jnew76
02-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I can't even believe some people don't even have Coffman on their list of top 5 Tight Ends. He is arguably the best TE in this draft. He's going to be a stud in the NFL.

I mean, the greatest hands I've ever seen and great ball skills. His speed is underrated, most people think he's a high 4.8- low 4.9 guy....I think he runs in the low 4.7s.

I am a huge Missouri fan, but this is not unexpected. Out of sight, out of mind. He has done nothing this offseason and has been injured for signifigant parts of the last 2 seasons.

Those are all good reasons why he is rated where he is currently. It is key to remember the game tapes importance in evaluating him... He has 4 years of excellent tape and I think most GM's have enough informaton on him to give him a rating without the combine.

GM's know he has elite hands, size, and body control. I don't think you have to worry about him having his name called earlier than the "experts" think IF he checks out Medically.

Splat
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I mean, the greatest hands I've ever seen.

I like the kid but that is pushing it.

bored of education
02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
I like Chase alot. I just want to see how he tests. But that foot injury does concern me.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM

I have him at around 3-5 anywhere in there but no way is he better than Pettigrew. Pettigrew is a superior blocker and has just as good if not better hands, Coffman definitely can stretch the field better but if you are looking at the whole picture Pettigrew is the far superior complete tight end and I do also prefer Jared Cook and Shawn Nelson to him as they have the tools to be much better all around Tight ends. Coffman is right there in the mix for me with fellow receiving tight ends like Travis Beckum and James Casey. Coffman and Beckum are both hurt by injuries.

princefielder28
02-26-2009, 05:09 PM
1. Chase Coffman | Missouri
2. Brandon Pettigrew | Oklahoma State
3. Jared Cook | South Carolina*
4. Shawn Nelson | Southern Miss
5. Travis Beckum | Wisconsin

#1, hells yes

Wootylicous
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
travis beckum is so flying under the radar right now.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
travis beckum is so flying under the radar right now.

Is that surprising??? He was injured the whole year and can't work out yet, and on gamefilm alone he was too one dimensional much like Coffman so it's not surprising he is flying under the radar, but honestly I like him more than Dustin Keller.

YAYareaRB
02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I mean, the greatest hands I've ever seen and great ball skills.

What about Holt and Bruce holt_bruce?

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
What about Holt and Bruce holt_bruce?

http://archive.columbiatribune.com/2008/Oct/102608%20b01%20coffman.jpg

I'll stand by my statement.

Staubach12
02-26-2009, 06:37 PM
He's a hell of a TE. I love him. He reminds me a bit of Dallas Clark minus some athleticism. I'm surprised he's predicted to go so low, but someone's going to get a steal.

TT Gator
03-01-2009, 04:15 AM
He's a great receiving TE but he's not a full package like Pettigrew. Then you factor in his injury history and I think it scares some away. I also think theirs teams who see how he plays and don't think he'll be able to transfer it to the NFL and his slow 40 time doesn't help. Not participating at the combine didn't bump his stock up any either. Then you factor in Pettigrew, Cook, Ingram, and Nelson all in the same draft with him those are some tought TEs. He's def worth a 2nd round pick in my mind though. If a team could develop his blocking skills and have a QB who can throw he could be a huge star. Where ever he goes I know he'll end up getting playing time thats for sure.

Sniper
03-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I mean, the greatest hands I've ever seen

L5sQsm_aAyI

Jason Avant scoffs at your ignorance.

BaLLiN
03-01-2009, 08:55 AM
He's a hell of a TE. I love him. He reminds me a bit of Dallas Clark minus some athleticism. I'm surprised he's predicted to go so low, but someone's going to get a steal.

yeah thats exactly the comparison i was thinking

Iamcanadian
03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Coffman is around #5 on most TE's list. He could move up if he has a sensational workout but face the facts. He doesn't know how to block so he is a one dimension TE and he has plenty of challengers as a pass catching TE's and they have all worked out and made their case. He hasn't.
Until he works out and proves he is the best among the pass catching TE's he won't be ranked any higher that #5 on the TE list. It is going to be extremely difficult to move past Cook, Ingram, and Nelson who are all superb pass catching TE as well and Pettigrew is the top blocker. He'll have to run an excellent 40 and demonstrate in the drills that he has more talent than his competitors. Saying he is #1 and proving he is #1 are 2 different things.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
He's definitely underrated but that's a byproduct of missing the combine and Senior Bowl, and all the hoopla that goes along with pre-draft buzz.

Hopefully he's 100% by Mizzou's pro day and can put on a show. The dude is a beast.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Clark "minus" some athleticism? I've never seen Clark pull a move like this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/9sv3m1.jpg

holt_bruce81
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Coleman is around #5 on most TE's list. He could move up if he has a sensational workout but face the facts. He doesn't know how to block so he is a one dimension TE and he has plenty of challengers as a pass catching TE's and they have all worked out and made their case. He hasn't.
Until he works out and proves he is the best among the pass catching TE's he won't be ranked any higher that #5 on the TE list. It is going to be extremely difficult to move past Cook, Ingram, and Nelson who are all superb pass catching TE as well and Pettigrew is the top blocker. He'll have to run an excellent 40 and demonstrate in the drills that he has more talent than his competitors. Saying he is #1 and proving he is #1 are 2 different things.

Coleman? :)

Staubach12
03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Clark "minus" some athleticism? I've never seen Clark pull a move like this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/9sv3m1.jpg

You must not watch the Colts very often, then.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 12:20 PM
You must not watch the Colts very often, then.

I do and I've never seen him pull off an athletic play of this caliber.

Coffman isn't a perfect player due to the question marks surrounding his blocking ability, but knocking him for a lack of athleticism just shows a lack of knowledge. He's one of the most athletic TEs I've ever seen.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Coffman is around #5 on most TE's list. He could move up if he has a sensational workout but face the facts. He doesn't know how to block so he is a one dimension TE and he has plenty of challengers as a pass catching TE's and they have all worked out and made their case. He hasn't.

Doesnt know how to block or isnt asked to block because there is a differance.

Staubach12
03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I do and I've never seen him pull off an athletic play of this caliber.

Coffman isn't a perfect player due to the question marks surrounding his blocking ability, but knocking him for a lack of athleticism just shows a lack of knowledge. He's one of the most athletic TEs I've ever seen.

Hahahaha okay now, lack of knowledge? Get over yourself. Second of all, Dallas Clark is one of the most athletic TEs in the league. Saying someone isn't as athletic as him isn't a knock. Coffman is very athletic, and but not quite Dallas Clark.

Ask any Colts fan, Clark's athleticism isn't a comparison that should be thrown around in an intelligent discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPnwC3dIHzg

^The first play of this real is Clark in college. Notice the speed, the balance, and the ability to finish the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m909cpzceZk

^The first play of this reel is I believe the play your photo comes from. Very athletic play. However, the defenses play is much more sloppy here, and you don't see the speed and burst out of Coffman that you saw out of Clark.

Menardo75
03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Chase has been my second rated TE behind Pettigrew since pre-season. IMO best receiving TE in the draft. If he can pick up his blocking a little bit then he will be a terrific pro.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Hahahaha okay now, lack of knowledge? Get over yourself. Second of all, Dallas Clark is one of the most athletic TEs in the league. Saying someone isn't as athletic as him isn't a knock. Coffman is very athletic, and but not quite Dallas Clark.

Ask any Colts fan, Clark's athleticism isn't a comparison that should be thrown around in an intelligent discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPnwC3dIHzg

^The first play of this real is Clark in college. Notice the speed, the balance, and the ability to finish the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m909cpzceZk

^The first play of this reel is I believe the play your photo comes from. Very athletic play. However, the defenses play is much more sloppy here, and you don't see the speed and burst out of Coffman that you saw out of Clark.

Sorry if it hurt your feelings, but saying Coffman is "Dallas Clark minus the athleticsm" displays a lack of knowledge, period. There is a reason that every Mizzou fan on this site sings his praises and says he is very underrated right now. We've seen every game he has played and the crazy plays he makes on the field.

Clark is a great TE, no doubt, but he is more of a solid all-around TE than Coffman, who has great athleticism and hands but is not the blocker that Clark is. Coffman is more of a comparison to Vincent Jackson or Antonio Gates, guys that are more like big WRs than traditional TEs. No one would describe those two as "Clark minus the athleticism" and it's stupid in Coffman's case as well.

eaglesalltheway
03-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I am Coffman's biggest fan (who isn't a Mizzou fan), I love him, and he's my second favorite TE in this draft, and as long as he can learn some blocking technique, we will be solid as a blocker as well, with his size. He caught my eye last season and he does so every single game he plays. He wasn't called on to block for Mizou, so he is unproven as a blocker, but with his size and overall body strength he could develope into the best blocking TEs of the afformentioned receiving TEs. He will never be as good a blocker as Pettigrew, but as long as he works hard he will be the most balanced of the receiving TEs a few years into his career. I would love him as a pick for the Eagles from the second round later if we wouldn't go after Pettigrew...

Burger
03-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I love Coffman, he wont need to block too much since he'll play for a team that likes to use the vertical passing game.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I like Coffman, but not more than I like Pettigrew,Casey,Beckum,Cook, or Nelson

Hell of a draft if you need TE

Staubach12
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Sorry if it hurt your feelings, but saying Coffman is "Dallas Clark minus the athleticsm" displays a lack of knowledge, period. There is a reason that every Mizzou fan on this site sings his praises and says he is very underrated right now. We've seen every game he has played and the crazy plays he makes on the field.

Clark is a great TE, no doubt, but he is more of a solid all-around TE than Coffman, who has great athleticism and hands but is not the blocker that Clark is. Coffman is more of a comparison to Vincent Jackson or Antonio Gates, guys that are more like big WRs than traditional TEs. No one would describe those two as "Clark minus the athleticism" and it's stupid in Coffman's case as well.

Watch. The. Tape.

iBoldin
03-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Coffman is going to be a liability as a blocker. He puts his hand in the dirt for less then 10% of Mizzou's offensive sets last year I believe. That'll drop him a little bit in itself.

steelcrew43
03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
he jumps over ppl lol what was his vert

Kase1
03-03-2009, 09:26 AM
TE's that arent good blockers can become good ones with the right coaching, just look at the last few Giants TE's Shockey & Boss came here and they couldnt block an artery, but now both are more than ample in the blocking game

Id say take a chance on Chase and mold his blocking to your specific teams needs. Id love to have another recieving TE that can block as well as make sick catches and contribute some pts

If he's still there in the 3rd, Id enjoy the Giants getting him

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Coffman is going to be a liability as a blocker. He puts his hand in the dirt for less then 10% of Mizzou's offensive sets last year I believe. That'll drop him a little bit in itself.

He'll be a liability as a blocker early in his career, but if he has a good coaching network and works hard (which he will) he will at least be an average blocker by his third or fourth year...

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Watch. The. Tape.

Coffman is athletic, no doubt, and very athletic, but I agree he isn't as athletic as Dallas Clark, overall anyway. easy81, saying coffman is like antonio gates, or another big WR isn't fair to Coffman either. He is very athletic, one of the most athletic in the NCAA last year and the year before, but he fits right in there in terms of athletecism with Dallas Clark. Coffman does different types of athletic plays (jumping over people, fully extended one-handed catches, etc) but Clark is a bit quicker and changes direction just a bit faster, they are both very athletic, though, just in different ways.

stephenson86
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
eazyb81, seriously man your arguing like a 4 year old

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
eazyb81, seriously man your arguing like a 4 year old

Umm, could you contribute smething else to this thread please?

holt_bruce81
03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/D94E4BCF00EF78CB862575700007164D?OpenDocument

Tight end Chase Coffman also is waiting. He confirmed Wednesday that he's waiting until the 19th as he continues his rehab from a fractured foot. (If he still doesn't feel ready by the 19th, Coffman will set up his own workout at a later date.)

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Whenever he does his workout, I hope he tears it up, and no matter what, he will do a great job. He's one of those guys that coaches know what they are going to get out of him. He will step in and be a reliable TE for your QB and will keep some attention off your other offensive weapons...

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

of course hes underrated, probably top 3 te of this draft