CB:
Bryant Mcfadden
Chris McCalister

S:
Darren Sharper
James Sanders

regoob2
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
The main guy I would like to see is Lavernues Coles. Also Stacy Andrews as a long term RT. We could sign him and St Clair and cut St Clair when Andrews is healthy and we feel he is capable of holding down RT.

MidwayMonster31
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I would like to see the Bears take a shot at Derrick Dockery. He definitely wasn't worth the contract he had in Buffalo, but I think that he would work well. I would rather keep St. Clair as a utility backup than as a starter.

regoob2
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I would like to see the Bears take a shot at Derrick Dockery. He definitely wasn't worth the contract he had in Buffalo, but I think that he would work well. I would rather keep St. Clair as a utility backup than as a starter.
Dockery is a OG not a RT. I hope we look at Sean Jones as well. He can be the long term FS we need.

MidwayMonster31
02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Dockery is a OG not a RT. I hope we look at Sean Jones as well. He can be the long term FS we need.I never said he was a right tackle. I just think that we could a little better at left guard. I agree about Jones.

Smokey Joe
02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Personally, I would pass on one big signing, and like to see a couple intermediate signings.

I'd want Bryon Leftwich for a fairly reasonable 2 year deal, and Bryant Johnson on a cheap 2 year incentive contract. I'd bring in Leonard Weaver in on a reasonable 4 year deal, as well as bring brack St. Clair.

The biggest signing I'd like to see us make would be Brandon Moore or Jason Brown, but preferably Moore.

Oh yeah, I'd like to see us bring in Sean Jones to compete at SS and provide us with a special teamer, at the very least.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM
DeAngelo Hall - 6 years / $54M deal.

Dang.

sporzy
02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I'll take this Omiyale guy...may not be a known commodity, but Angelo's usually pretty good with FA pickups. He's younger and fairly cheap, so this could be a great deal for us. We still need to draft an OL early (2nd round) but this gives us a little breathing room if 'our guy' isn't there, so we don't have to reach and waste a pick.

regoob2
02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Personally, I would pass on one big signing, and like to see a couple intermediate signings.

I'd want Bryon Leftwich for a fairly reasonable 2 year deal, and Bryant Johnson on a cheap 2 year incentive contract. I'd bring in Leonard Weaver in on a reasonable 4 year deal, as well as bring brack St. Clair.

The biggest signing I'd like to see us make would be Brandon Moore or Jason Brown, but preferably Moore.

Oh yeah, I'd like to see us bring in Sean Jones to compete at SS and provide us with a special teamer, at the very least.
Why would Sean Jones be a STer? I hope we go after Coles.

regoob2
02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Updated. 10

Updated again. 2-28. 1:30 pm.

Red_BearSkins
02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't think we should go after any of the FA QB's. The teams already stated the only QB battle they want is for backup, between Caleb Hanie...and whoever that other guy is. We can get a 6th or 7th rounder for much cheaper than any of the FA QB's.

WR:
Nate Washington - I think he's a little overrated, but same boat as Henderson.
Ronald Curry - Did you see him on Oakland? He gives up on routes. No.
Devery Henderson - He's a good deep threat to stretch the field, that's it.
Bryant Johnson - He's a bust. Couldn't hang in San Fran where there isn't even a #1 receiver. Was replaced as the #3 receiver in Arizona by Breaston, whom immediately flourished.
Reggie Williams - Just got arrested, giant Bust, one-dimensional.
Joey Galloway - Way too old, lost a serious step or two.
Michael Clayton - Another bust.
Coles - This is gonna be long, since I don't like Coles. He has elite speed, probably still despite his age, yet he's never been a deep threat in his career. Santana Moss, in the same situations as Coles, posted much higher YPC numbers. Coles was cited as being a whiner and malcontent in the locker room on the Redskins, he made up an injury about himself, he's been known to give up on routes and lose interest. The Redskins considered it a mini-coup when they traded Coles for Moss. There has always been an issue with chemistry between Coles and whomever is the QB. With the Skins, with Pennington, and surprisingly with Farve. Commentators were worrying about Farve and Coles chemistry during last season.

DT:
Tank Johnson - Do we want to try it over? Doubt it. We just drafted Marcus Harrison in the 3rd last year. Marinelli alone should improve the d-line.
Dewayne Robertson - No. Sucked in Denver.
Jovan Haye - Way too inconsistent.

LB:
Cato June - Bears like big LBs that weigh 240ish, June is about as big as our SS.
Derrick Brooks - We play a similar scheme, but we already have our WLB in Briggs.
Mike Peterson - A 33 yeard old MLB? I doubt he'd accept a back-up role.
Marcus Washington - Unfortunately his best years are far behind him, injuries have robbed him of his athleticism.
Angelo Crowell - Very tempting, but too much of an injury liability.

CB:
Bryant Mcfadden - Yes. There is worry that Pitts pass-rush makes him seem better, but he should be an upgrade over Vasher regardless, along with still having potential.
Chris McCalister - Only as depth. He's far too injury prone to be considered reliable.

S:
Sean Jones - No. Somehow he's on the decline despite being 26. Kevin Payne is better than Sean Jones is playing right now.
James Sanders - Possibly, isn't an answer though, he's serviceable.

pellepelle_10
02-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't think we should go after any of the FA QB's. The teams already stated the only QB battle they want is for backup, between Caleb Hanie...and whoever that other guy is. We can get a 6th or 7th rounder for much cheaper than any of the FA QB's.

WR:
Nate Washington - I think he's a little overrated, but same boat as Henderson.
Ronald Curry - Did you see him on Oakland? He gives up on routes. No.
Devery Henderson - He's a good deep threat to stretch the field, that's it.
Bryant Johnson - He's a bust. Couldn't hang in San Fran where there isn't even a #1 receiver. Was replaced as the #3 receiver in Arizona by Breaston, whom immediately flourished.
Reggie Williams - Just got arrested, giant Bust, one-dimensional.
Joey Galloway - Way too old, lost a serious step or two.
Michael Clayton - Another bust.
Coles - This is gonna be long, since I don't like Coles. He has elite speed, probably still despite his age, yet he's never been a deep threat in his career. Santana Moss, in the same situations as Coles, posted much higher YPC numbers. Coles was cited as being a whiner and malcontent in the locker room on the Redskins, he made up an injury about himself, he's been known to give up on routes and lose interest. The Redskins considered it a mini-coup when they traded Coles for Moss. There has always been an issue with chemistry between Coles and whomever is the QB. With the Skins, with Pennington, and surprisingly with Farve. Commentators were worrying about Farve and Coles chemistry during last season.

DT:
Tank Johnson - Do we want to try it over? Doubt it. We just drafted Marcus Harrison in the 3rd last year. Marinelli alone should improve the d-line.
Dewayne Robertson - No. Sucked in Denver.
Jovan Haye - Way too inconsistent.

LB:
Cato June - Bears like big LBs that weigh 240ish, June is about as big as our SS.
Derrick Brooks - We play a similar scheme, but we already have our WLB in Briggs.
Mike Peterson - A 33 yeard old MLB? I doubt he'd accept a back-up role.
Marcus Washington - Unfortunately his best years are far behind him, injuries have robbed him of his athleticism.
Angelo Crowell - Very tempting, but too much of an injury liability.

CB:
Bryant Mcfadden - Yes. There is worry that Pitts pass-rush makes him seem better, but he should be an upgrade over Vasher regardless, along with still having potential.
Chris McCalister - Only as depth. He's far too injury prone to be considered reliable.

S:
Sean Jones - No. Somehow he's on the decline despite being 26. Kevin Payne is better than Sean Jones is playing right now.
James Sanders - Possibly, isn't an answer though, he's serviceable.

Kevin Payne better than Sean Jones? This must be come kind of joke. lol

I think we can get a number of good players in FA and to be honest we are in desperate need of someone at safety to fill some of a major void.

Sean Jones will not come cheap but I think he will help us tremendously at this position.

I agree with Smokey with a couple players he mentioned.

Leonard Weaver would be an immediate starter. The guy can block, run and catch very well out of the backfield. This would benefit Forte in a number of ways.

While Byron Leftwich has had his NFL woes I think he would be a great backup and have a fair opportunity to prove himself over Orton if needed. The guy has great tools and looking for an opportunity. I think Orton has the capability of being a good qb but Leftwich will provide some fire to get Orton playing at his full potential.

As for WR I think this position needs a draft pick. The FA's available aren't going to blow anyone away. I personally don't think Lloyd should be leaving because he was the only hope at WR we had given the minimal time he played. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mike Furrey come to Chicago though. He has great hands and runs solid routes. I think if he lands on the right team he could make one hell of a slot or #2 WR. This could help us rid the headache Rashied Davis has created. It won't solve the #1 wr position but he could become a quality slot at the least for us.

Lastly I'd like to see someone like Khalif Barnes come to Chicago to help this aging offensive line of ours.I think he would add good depth and challenge for a starting position here. BTW...what ever happened with Buenning. Is he not cutting it or is it that they didn't want to alter the line since it was working somewhat better than most had expected last year?

pellepelle_10
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
On another note I just wanted to say this:

I think it is interesting how top teams go out and address needs by getting key players but Chicago seems to feel year after year they have the answer with some 3rd string or backup player they have or player from another team who has never seen daylight on the playing field. Do they just not get it? This formula has rarely worked for them if at all.

Red_BearSkins
03-01-2009, 01:20 AM
On another note I just wanted to say this:

I think it is interesting how top teams go out and address needs by getting key players but Chicago seems to feel year after year they have the answer with some 3rd string or backup player they have or player from another team who has never seen daylight on the playing field. Do they just not get it? This formula has rarely worked for them if at all.

True. But the happy-go-lucky spending doesn't work either. The Redskins have had a lot of costly misses. Dana Stubblefield, Jason Taylor, Bruce Smith, Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd, Jeremiah Trotter.

Check out Dallas to see how their big spender ways have helped them? If the NFC East wasn't so damn cutthroat, I'd be happy with an offseason like the Bears. Build through the draft.

Red_BearSkins
03-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Kevin Payne better than Sean Jones? This must be come kind of joke. lol

He did. Sean Jones did not play well this year. 2 years ago Sean Jones was a beast, I don't know what happened, but he's not playing the same.

Sean Jones will not come cheap but I think he will help us tremendously at this position.

Sean Jones played SS in Cleveland. The big issue for us is at free safety.

While Byron Leftwich has had his NFL woes I think he would be a great backup and have a fair opportunity to prove himself over Orton if needed. The guy has great tools and looking for an opportunity. I think Orton has the capability of being a good qb but Leftwich will provide some fire to get Orton playing at his full potential.

Orton has been embroiled in a QB controversy/battle in his entire NFL career. You think putting him in another one will do anything? Maybe some peace and quiet is just what the man needs. When healthy, he was pretty good.

As for WR I think this position needs a draft pick. The FA's available aren't going to blow anyone away. Besides Housh? You're right. But if we go for someone like Housh, I'd rather draft Nicks myself.

I personally don't think Lloyd should be leaving because he was the only hope at WR we had given the minimal time he played.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Brandon Lloyd, where he just wants to get paid. He gets injured often and it takes forever to heal. Ask any Redskins fan about him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Mike Furrey come to Chicago though. He has great hands and runs solid routes. I think if he lands on the right team he could make one hell of a slot or #2 WR. This could help us rid the headache Rashied Davis has created. It won't solve the #1 wr position but he could become a quality slot at the least for us.
Don't know if you know this, but Furrey will be 32 in May. Adding him would be good for depth, max. We need talent coming in that we can either ride hard for a few years (Housh) or develop (Nicks/Britt)

Lastly I'd like to see someone like Khalif Barnes come to Chicago to help this aging offensive line of ours.I think he would add good depth and challenge for a starting position here.

Might as well. I hope management doesn't think adding the backup from the Panthers fixes our o-line problem. With the retirement of Tait, Barnes would move to RT. John St. Clair would move to LG. With Chris Williams coming back, that'd be upgrades all along the line.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2009, 08:03 AM
we need a SS and FS. Payne needs competition and we have no depth behind him. Steltz ain't that great and we definitely need someone to challange for the job. Considering that this years free agent market has more quality SS then FS, I say we sign a SS, and draft a FS on the first day.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
we offered a contract to Kevin Jones. I thought for sure he'd want out, but I guess not. This leads me to believe he wasn't ever really close to being fully healthy last year, and that's why he was inactive or never played for a good portion of the season.

regoob2
03-01-2009, 02:16 PM
we need a SS and FS. Payne needs competition and we have no depth behind him. Steltz ain't that great and we definitely need someone to challange for the job. Considering that this years free agent market has more quality SS then FS, I say we sign a SS, and draft a FS on the first day.Why not sign a FA every year and draft a guy every year and never give them a chance to play. Payne is fine at SS.

regoob2
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Kevin Jones is extremely talented. I hope he gets healthy and returns to form. He was great in Detroit when healthy. He could be a solid #2.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2009, 09:11 PM
True. But the happy-go-lucky spending doesn't work either. The Redskins have had a lot of costly misses. Dana Stubblefield, Jason Taylor, Bruce Smith, Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd, Jeremiah Trotter.

Check out Dallas to see how their big spender ways have helped them? If the NFC East wasn't so damn cutthroat, I'd be happy with an offseason like the Bears. Build through the draft.

I'm not implying that we go crazy in free agency. That wasn't my intent by this comment. What I was trying to say is that if we have key needs going after old players whose best years were behind them and players who have never seen the playing field should be last resort selections. We've made big moves in FA but it seems as though they've been content with our current staff when its evident we're in need of help.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
He did. Sean Jones did not play well this year. 2 years ago Sean Jones was a beast, I don't know what happened, but he's not playing the same.

I think we have a good defensive coaching staff that can bring out the best in him. He has the tools and youth there which is half of the battle. This is what intrigues me most about him.

Sean Jones played SS in Cleveland. The big issue for us is at free safety. I think both are a problem personally. My concern was addressing one of these positions with a legitimate starter so this can free us up in the draft to go another route. This will leave FS as a position for the draft instead of both.

Orton has been embroiled in a QB controversy/battle in his entire NFL career. You think putting him in another one will do anything? Maybe some peace and quiet is just what the man needs. When healthy, he was pretty good. It's apparent with Grossman leaving this year we'll need someone to fill the gap. Either way you look at it if we bring in a solid vet it's going to seem like he's being placed in some sort of battle. I wouldn't want us to bring in some washed up player just to appease him though either because the fact of the matter is..he's simply not proven he can be the goto guy on this team yet.

Besides Housh? You're right. But if we go for someone like Housh, I'd rather draft Nicks myself. Even if we selected a FA I'd say draft Nicks/Britt. With our WR core we can never be too safe.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Brandon Lloyd, where he just wants to get paid. He gets injured often and it takes forever to heal. Ask any Redskins fan about him. If this is the case then I won't miss him. I will say when he did play he did better than anyone else on the field.

Don't know if you know this, but Furrey will be 32 in May. Adding him would be good for depth, max. We need talent coming in that we can either ride hard for a few years (Housh) or develop (Nicks/Britt) Furrey may be 32 but he'd be a slot guy ala Bobby Engram. He also has little miles on him. If he can run sharp routes and catch balls which he does very well then I think its a plus for us. Again...I'd still want to select someone like Britt or Nicks in the draft. I would use Furrey as a replacement for duds like Rashied Davis who has fallen off.

Might as well. I hope management doesn't think adding the backup from the Panthers fixes our o-line problem. With the retirement of Tait, Barnes would move to RT. John St. Clair would move to LG. With Chris Williams coming back, that'd be upgrades all along the line. As long as we're bringing in quality players with YOUTH I think its a benefit. I'm still curious what is going on with Buenning because I haven't heard anything about the situation.

tblain1
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Owens to Buffalo 1 year 6.5.

I was listening to 1000 this morning and Waddle and Silvy were talking about how the Bears didn't have the stones to go after him. I have to admit, given whats left in the WR pool and the length of the contract he got with the Bills, they are right. TO is usually a head case in the 2nd-3rd year. The first year he usually shows that he is competitive and positive in the locker room. He might have been good in Chicago.

regoob2
03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Owens to Buffalo 1 year 6.5.

I was listening to 1000 this morning and Waddle and Silvy were talking about how the Bears didn't have the stones to go after him. I have to admit, given whats left in the WR pool and the length of the contract he got with the Bills, they are right. TO is usually a head case in the 2nd-3rd year. The first year he usually shows that he is competitive and positive in the locker room. He might have been good in Chicago.We dont win the SB this year with Owens. I dont want him.

tblain1
03-09-2009, 04:03 PM
We dont win the SB this year with Owens. I dont want him.

Not sure I understand that logic. Are you saying you give up at improving the WR position? Or the Bears "could" win the super bowl if Owens is NOT a WR for them?

VoteLynnSwan
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
-edit: someone posted it in another thread