PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Free Agency Thread

PalmerToCJ
02-26-2009, 11:39 PM
It has begun.

We're apparently making a push at signing TJ, doubtful it happens however nice to have some optimism on the topic.

Eagles showing interest in Andrews.

Benson, you better stay here.

PFT is down, more updates to come I guess, should be interesting.

SC Igniter
02-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Surprised at the TJ late run? I had moved on from him because there was no way of us being competitive with the other teams vying for this popular FA. Perhaps all the signals coming from Lewis on how important TJ is to him/team is translating into something. My prediction if its not completed real soon the lower the chances that he will be a Bengal.

Agree Benson is important signing we need to close

Hopeful we will do something on OL

StripedWalrus
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Andrews is off to the Eagles barring a physical

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7530

themaninblack
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Unfortunate to see Andrews go but I think we were all pretty much expecting that.

Looks like Derrick Ward is coming in for a visit per Bengals.com. That could be a nice add.

The Bengals also resigned Chris Crocker to a four year deal.

PalmerToCJ
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Crocker was surprising last season, glad to have him back.

Ward is interesting, even if we re-sign Benson there's still no one else capable of a whole lot. I still think Perry can do something running the ball but it won't take away his fumblitis.

Saw somewhere I think Landon had to take a pay cut to stay in Carolina. Not surprising, he's a great backup but I don't want him as my starter going into the season.

EDIT: Looks like the Eagles signed Andrews to play RT. I think that's a mistake, the only reason I wanted him back was for RG.

MooshooGawd
02-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not liking the idea of Ward being our featured back. Now if we went with a Benson/Ward combo, that would be pretty awesome.

Looks like TJ is being humbled. According to reports that I've seen, the interest in him isn't what he was expecting. Nor is the money. Who knows, maybe he reup's here for less than we thought and he plays with an angry chip on his shoulder.

Other than that there doesn't appear to be many free agents left that would step right in and help. We got Crocker back, they're trying to address RB, and I'm sure they'll look at a backup QB. But, for now, looks like we'll have to address the offensive line in the draft.

SC Igniter
02-28-2009, 06:13 AM
I think that TJ mentioned he wants to make a decision sooner rather than later, so well see how this plays out with our chances of resigning him.

Haven't seen them bringing anyone in yet to address OL so agree this will be our main focus in draft.

The Benson/Ward combo would be ideal for me, however, not sure if this is in the Bengals plans. Most likely a either/or scenerio.

About Kitna as CP backup if he becomes available? Seen reports that Detroit may move on from him. He knows our system and is good buddies with CP. He would be a real solid backup which is needed for this team.

staubach41
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah TJ wants to be on a team by Saturday. I would love Kitna back as backup, he is a solid locker room guy and has experience.

How much cap room do we have? I know we have about 5 million in tenders but I thought we have somewhere in the 30 million dollar range free.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm all for Kitna if he is released. I'd just assume have a veteran.

I agree on only being for Ward IF Benson is signed as well.

I'm starting to like our chances with TJ. Given Philly has bowed out (allegedly anyway), he visited Seattle and is going to Minnesota (who is going to get you the ball TJ?).

There's not a huge demand for him. He's not getting much love from the teams he wanted and other teams aren't sure what to expect from him as a #1 type guy. We know what to expect.

Not sure on cap room to be honest, not too concerned though because you know we won't use it all (thanks Mikey).

rickscott
02-28-2009, 04:57 PM
If we can come out of this with Benson or Ward along with TJ, that would be more than I ever expected. They do however have to find a quality QB somewhere.

themaninblack
03-01-2009, 11:54 AM
We really need to look at some of the Centers available. Birk would be a great addition.

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Starting to look like TJ is heading to Minnesota.

Pat Sims 90
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Birk is not even looking to go anywhere else he will stay with the vikings Brown was are best chance at getting a starting C in FA now we are going to have to take a center 1st day

Bengals78
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I think think Ward would be HUGE to sign. He is a big play guy that we need.
I hope we can also land some help at DE and make it less of a priority and we can focus on the O-Line early and confidently without having to decide between a pass rusher or lineman early. Then take a project guy later on.

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Along with no real starting RB, just thought I'd remind everyone that Jordan Palmer is our backup QB. Eh, I'm sure someone will come up eventually to backup.

SC Igniter
03-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Today will be decision day for TJ, seems like MN due to him spending the night. I am impressed with the reported $ package Bengals put together, thats a serious offer although one could argue they could of went about it a different way by tagging him. Some talk about L Coles if TJ doesn't resign with us, I wouldn't overpay for him.

Dont think there are any centers worth pursuing, Brown was my only hope (Birk wont leave MN)

Benson or Ward signing is a priorty. We just have too many needs to fill

Agree DE FA would make sense

themaninblack
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Yea, I was really surprised to hear we offered TJ that kind of money. A bigger contract than Plax apparently.

Bengals78
03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
I would like to see us pursue Cato June or Derrick Brooks. Either one could be a leader for the defense not to mention Keith Rivers learning from Derrick Brooks = heaven.

Pat Sims 90
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Brooks and June don't fit their def scheme would rather have them draft a young LB that fits their scheme

Bengals78
03-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Brooks can play in nearly any system IMO. I agree about June.

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Ward is wanting Michael Turner money (yuck).
Benson is talking well about the Texans (he's kinda from there).

Not very encouraging on the RB front.

With that said, I'm very happy with the way the FO is handling TJ. At this point, I'm content with him not re-signing here given the fact that we seem to have the highest offer.

Bengals78
03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Ward is ALMOST worth that much. If we draft Andre Brown in 3 or 4, a Brown/Ward duo would be sweet.

I still think if we can a DE and/or a LB in FA, resigning Benson won't be as big of a need.

themaninblack
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I think they have to walk out of FA with a RB. Whether its Ward or Benson, it just has to happen. Even if they have to over pay for Ward, He's probably the best option.

Bengals78
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I like what Ward brings, if we over pay him, I will be fine because it would make him our feature back and for a 4 year player, he has the carries of a 2 year guy and averages something like 5.6 a carry last season.

Bengals78
03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Skins just cut Jason Taylor.....I know it's improbable but I really wish we would send the money we had for TJ plus some.

Bengals78
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Bucs sign Ward. Well, sh!t.
Oh well, focus on defense and Benson I hope

rickscott
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
None of this should surprise any of us. Mike Brown sticks his head up his butt at the start of free agency and removes it when it is over. It has become painfully obvious that every player of any value will do about anything to escape here. Mike Brown is the onky one that does not understand it.

Looking towards the draft, a draft where we had hoped to possibly add a little depth, a nickel CB and a MLB will now become the draft that attempts to fill total voids at RB, FB, OT, WR, and C.

StripedWalrus
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Bucs sign Ward. Well, sh!t.
Oh well, focus on defense and Benson I hope

The way its sounding now is that Benson is going to sign in Houston. Even if it only means a few snaps a game.

What the Bengals need to do is trade back in the first and gain extra picks.

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm not too terribly upset about losing TJ. He wasn't a saint and had his issues (granted he's a WR) and it seems they were offering a decent contract.

However, there is absolutely zero excuse to not sign Benson. None. If they don't think he's their starter, fine but we do need a backup.

Pat Sims 90
03-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Ward signs with Bucs and now looks like we will lose Benson to Texans even though he will not start there and get only a few carries a game i am thinking we should trade back in the 1st and get a RB because if lose out on Benson we are ******

Bengalsrocket
03-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Ward signs with Bucs and now looks like we will lose Benson to Texans even though he will not start there and get only a few carries a game i am thinking we should trade back in the 1st and get a RB because if lose out on Benson we are ******

Yes. I hate to say this, because everyone on these forums seem to hate Chris Wells, but if we lose Benson he's got to be an option if he's there. And if not, trading back a few spots if we can and then picking up Moreno has to be a possibility too.

Either way though, we need not 1, but 2 running backs. Perry has officially giving himself the bust label. DeDe Dorsey, although I like him, has major injury concerns. And James Johnson is just not good.

How we're going to address the running back, offensive line and possibly defensive line issues this year is beyond me. However, we need to make sure we try to fix at least two of them if we want any shot at putting up a winning season.

StripedWalrus
03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm not too terribly upset about losing TJ. He wasn't a saint and had his issues (granted he's a WR) and it seems they were offering a decent contract.

However, there is absolutely zero excuse to not sign Benson. None. If they don't think he's their starter, fine but we do need a backup.

Well thats the one way street view of the matter. If it were simply a one way street the Bengals could sign him and that is that. Problem is, it is a two way street. Bengals want him and Benson may not want us. If he doesnt want us...then he just doesnt. I don't want to shove money down a guys throat that may bust anyway. If he wants to be a backup in Houston then all the power to him. It will be the end of his career.

Because of the situation we are in now I think the only thing we can do is trade back. I have high hopes that we are going to sign Coles. I just have the feeling that we will. Then, we won't even be thinking Crabtree. So that leaves us at 6...with Crabtree, Raji, Oher and Smith still there. Its a high possibility that the Baylor Smith and Monroe are gone. We will be in prime trade zone. I say we trade back into the mid teens.

Then we can have an option like this...

1st - Oher, Wells, Moreno

First of the Second round picks - Take McCoy if we drafted Oher, Take best available OT (if quality one is available) if we draft RB in first.

Second of the Second Round picks - Take Eric Wood.

Seriously though I would want to trade down if the top two OT's are no longer on the board for us...and gain more picks for the team.

SC Igniter
03-03-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm really worried now about the team. The TJ saga seemed to sucked the life out of everyone and perhaps our focus on filling holes for the squad. The RB situation which in my mind was our greater priority than resigning TJ has now become a crisis that now changes everything. Banking on trading down is not a done deal because you need another team to make it happen, with that said I agree this is the only way to fill all of our problems.

Also, according to a Benson quote, it was the business side which is preventing him to work a deal with the Bengals. This is a real screw up that makes me sick. In a course of 1 day it seems that we really have taken a step back on improving this team.

Pat Sims 90
03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm really worried now about the team. The TJ saga seemed to sucked the life out of everyone and perhaps our focus on filling holes for the squad. The RB situation which in my mind was our greater priority than resigning TJ has now become a crisis that now changes everything. Banking on trading down is not a done deal because you need another team to make it happen, with that said I agree this is the only way to fill all of our problems.

Also, according to a Benson quote, it was the business side which is preventing him to work a deal with the Bengals. This is a real screw up that makes me sick. In a course of 1 day it seems that we really have taken a step back on improving this team.

Yea we have taken a step back improving this team u know y because ******* Mike Brown is running the team he does not care about winning it is all about the money for him. If we keep going to games and buying bengal's stuff while he puts out Terrible football teams he will continue because it takes no work for him.

rickscott
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
What does this say about last years WR drafted if we have to immediately schedule Coles to come in when TJ leaves? Wasn't that the excuse we heard last year for drafting Caldwell and Simpson? They were supposedly selected in case Chad held out, well, a year later and we are still apparently not happy that they will provide anything. This team has no plan whatsoever. As for the RB situation, if Benson selects Texas knowing he is to be a backup, then that tells the whole story about the situation here as perceived by the players.

themaninblack
03-03-2009, 12:03 PM
What does this say about last years WR drafted if we have to immediately schedule Coles to come in when TJ leaves? Wasn't that the excuse we heard last year for drafting Caldwell and Simpson? They were supposedly selected in case Chad held out, well, a year later and we are still apparently not happy that they will provide anything. This team has no plan whatsoever. As for the RB situation, if Benson selects Texas knowing he is to be a backup, then that tells the whole story about the situation here as perceived by the players.

I don't think it necessarily has too much to say about the receivers we drafted. If anything its a security measure that reflects the entire situation at the position as a whole. They know Simpson is probably another year away, Caldwell can probably step in and contribute but its not a sure thing, CJ is coming off a major injury and a disappointing season(to say the least), and you never know with Chris Henry. Coles is a veteran who has proven to be a viable option and if they can bring him in for a few years it is probably worth it considering the way free agency has gone and the money we have to spend.

I don't think we should draft a RB with our first pick even if we don't really have one by draft time. There are players to be had in the 2nd or later such as McCoy(possibly), James Davis, Shonn Greene, and Andre Brown, to name just a few. As mentioned, we are also in a prime position to trade back in the first and pick up a RB like Moreno or McCoy. If not, we pick an OT or the best defensive player available in round one, and go RB/C with our two 2nd Round picks.

It's a ****** up situation that obviously shows the ineptitude of Mike Brown in some respects but its really hard to put a lot of blame on them in this situation. TJ was essentially gone no matter what and we even offered him a very respectable contract. Hell, I woulda been mad if we would have given him anything more than what we offered because he's just not worth that IMO. Maybe we misfired on Derrick Ward or maybe we just would rather take our chances in the draft, who knows. Benson is really out of our control and its obvious he wants to go home and like many others wants to get out of Cincy. It's the nature of the best with this team I suppose and it will probably continue like this as long as our current owner is in place. It sucks, but I've come to expect it.

rickscott
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
It all starts in the middle and the best Center, a young kid at that in Jason Brown didn't even get a call from us. What does that say about this organization? I bet you we go into next season with EG, Cook and Santucci and our fingers crossed, the heck with Carson's health.

StripedWalrus
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
It all starts in the middle and the best Center, a young kid at that in Jason Brown didn't even get a call from us. What does that say about this organization? I bet you we go into next season with EG, Cook and Santucci and our fingers crossed, the heck with Carson's health.

Maybe it is the demeanor and attitude of Brown that caused the Bengals to not make an offer. Last season every Bengal fan would not have liked a signing like Brown because of his douchebaggery. Now that a season has passed, a player with his attitude is an ok thing?

Bascally I can tell you what is going to happen. This is what I whole heartedly believe will happen and I don't want to believe it, but it will probably happen. This is based solely off articles on Bengals.com and things said by coaches and players.

Coles Signs
Benson does not sign

You will see a running back drafted in the first
You will see Eric Wood Drafted in the second
You will see an OT drafted in the later rounds
You will see a Nickle QB drafted around round 5 but no earlier than round 5.

Collins will play a tackle, Whitworth will play a tackle.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
BENSON IS RE-SIGNED WOOOHOOOOO. 2 years 7 mil, very reasonable and I like that it's only 2 years.

J.T. O'Sullivan, Rex Grossman and Coles said to be visiting. Hard to get too worked up over how bad a backup is as long as they have experience, we're screwed if Carson isn't in there. Just need a QB to be able to beat the crappy teams if needed.

themaninblack
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Jason Brown is getting a royal treatment all of the sudden because of free agency and all that entails. Is he good? yeah, but he is definitely not worth the money he is getting. He also, as stated, has an attitude problem which is one thing we definitely don't need. He would have been an improvement for sure but is it worth that when we are in a good spot to get one of the top two Centers in the draft? I'd say no.

Glad Benson is back though RB should definitely still be on our radar in the 2nd-3rd round. Shonn Greene or James Davis would be ideal right off the top of my head.

This whole thing just makes me hate the media soo much more.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
The good thing about a RB in the 2nd or 3rd now is it's more of a luxury. Hopefully we get a 3rd round comp. pick, then I think it's all but certain that we take a RB then.

themaninblack
03-03-2009, 05:02 PM
The good thing about a RB in the 2nd or 3rd now is it's more of a luxury. Hopefully we get a 3rd round comp. pick, then I think it's all but certain that we take a RB then.

Yea it isn't necessarily a big need but I am still all for a RB with our last 2nd round pick or our 3rd unless McCoy somehow falls in our laps.

StripedWalrus
03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I am just so glad I was wrong about Benson going to the Texans. We needed Benson pretty bad and if we get Tackle and Center Improvements he should have a great 2 years. (I hope)

SC Igniter
03-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Ditto on being happy with Benson being in the fold. It seemed like everything was going wrong from the stock market to my football team, this signing rights the ship and really helps us out going into the draft.

I'm not sure if Coles will come at a discount? I can go either way on this one.

Agree that RB still needs to be addressed, but not necessarily in rounds 1 or 2. I go to most of Clemson games and have seen plenty of James Davis, he has decent speed and runs good routes, rarely fumbles. Downside not the best hands and doesn't break a lot of tackles, seems to get nicked up. Great character with a big heart. I like him in the 3rd. Reminds me a little of Brooks.

Bengals78
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7541

Marvin says more signings are imminent. Coles?

themaninblack
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I really think they are gonna end up getting Coles. Don't know why just a hunch.

derza222
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Schefter reports Coles for 4 years, $28 million. A little more expensive than I would have anticipated, but he should fit in well with you guys and be a good solider now that he's got a long-term deal. Nice guy to root for, I'm glad to have him go from one of my favorite teams to my other favorite team.

Bengals78
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I like Coles. I think he will compliment Chad nicely and help mentor the young guys.

I think we should make a push for Ray Lewis now. He would bring a demeanor to our defense has been lacking and we might actually get some solid leadership in the middle. Plus, I think Chad would shape up. I mean seriously, who wants to be the guy mouthing off to Ray Lewis?

Pat Sims 90
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Thank god we actually did a move that will improve us. Gives the younger WRs and another mentor to look up too

themaninblack
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
The money really isn't much of an issue. 7 mil a year is not all that much and its all about the guaranteed moolah anyway which I have yet to read anything about.

Love the signing as I think he will compliment a healthy Chad very well. He can probably provide a little more down the field than Housh and I'm excited to see what he can do with a great QB for once.

derza222
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I think he's a fantastic signing for the Bengals. He should be happy with his contract now and he's a tough, gritty guy who still brings nice hands and the willingness to go over the middle, but also some nice speed. He'll love playing with Palmer and is just a good guy and a nice replacement for Housh.

Bengals78
03-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I still want us to look at LB in the FA. Burnett I believe is still available.

rickscott
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I would hope that this signing signals the trading of Chad and the opportunity for Simpson, Caldwell and Henry. I think Cole is about equal to TJ. Now I'd like to see a QB and possiblyt a FB if there is a quality one available.

SC Igniter
03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Cole's pickup gives us all the ammo that we will need at WR, doubt that Chad is going anywhere except the down the field in Bengal stripes. He needs a break out yr to improve his trade value, then trade him next year.

Would of been nice to get Birk in here. Thats a position I would of liked for them to fill in FA. Throwing a rookie into the lineup in our division is going to be a tough task. So we will need to spend a high draft pick up for this open spot. OT in the first, if Moore is still there, otherwise try and trade down.

Not sure who else is out there in FA that can help us out?

themaninblack
03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I would hope that this signing signals the trading of Chad and the opportunity for Simpson, Caldwell and Henry. I think Cole is about equal to TJ. Now I'd like to see a QB and possiblyt a FB if there is a quality one available.

Might as well keep Chad for a year unless there is a serious suitor out there for him. I think we'll see a return to form from CJ this season and then he could be really good trade bait.

PalmerToCJ
03-04-2009, 11:39 PM
We really need a FB. I think all of us underestimated the loss of an effective Jeremi Johnson in the running game. I'm really not aware of anyone who is available.

hobbes2053
03-05-2009, 01:24 AM
We really need a FB. I think all of us underestimated the loss of an effective Jeremi Johnson in the running game. I'm really not aware of anyone who is available.

FB could possibly be addressed in the draft. Southerland would be a great pick, as well as some of the other FB prospects. Finding one in FA isn't looking too realistic.

themaninblack
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I am sure one will be drafted at some point as there are some good ones in this draft such as Southerland among others.

Bengals78
03-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I really would like us to pick up Southerland in the draft. He is my favorite FB in the draft.

StripedWalrus
03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Seems the Bengals sent an offer to Tahi...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/20/bengals-chasing-tahi/

But Vikings may match the Tender because they didnt land Weaver in free agency...the ravens did.

hobbes2053
03-20-2009, 03:34 PM
For what it's worth, I'd rather get Southerland through the draft. But, that may be based on the fact that I've seen Southerland play and not Tahi. All I know is that Southerland is a ******* man who makes opponents look like babies.

StripedWalrus
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
For what it's worth, I'd rather get Southerland through the draft. But, that may be based on the fact that I've seen Southerland play and not Tahi. All I know is that Southerland is a ******* man who makes opponents look like babies.

I think Coates is the only FB on the team right now, so its natural we hunt for a Veteran. We could possibly have 3 rookies starting on the offense in OT, C and FB...so a little Veteran help in any position isnt bad.

hobbes2053
03-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I think Coates is the only FB on the team right now, so its natural we hunt for a Veteran. We could possibly have 3 rookies starting on the offense in OT, C and FB...so a little Veteran help in any position isnt bad.

Very valid point. Nothing wrong with some veteran leadership, especially since we're going to have a fairly young team. Southerland just sticks out to me because he seems like the kind of player who could be in the backfield for years and you know what he's capable of. Can't go wrong with guys like that. In all honesty, I'd like to get them both. That way, we could have Tahi teach Southerland the ropes and get him more prepared.

rickscott
03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
This team has never kept 2 FBs and if they did, they would surely go with less RBs on the roster.

StripedWalrus
04-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Seems the bengals have just signed another RB. Gary Russel. I know 0% about this guy....only thing I know is he was on the Steelers last season.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/bengals-claim-russell-jeanty-signs/ff55d0fa-2d82-4807-ac03-3e7200eb4415

Splat
05-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Bengals kicker Graham signs $2.5 million franchise tender (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/graham-signs-tender/4ca05472-362e-4be0-824b-f102ea29f839)