PDA

View Full Version : Albert Haynesworth to the Redskins

CT Bronco Fan
02-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Per ESPNNEWS, it just scrolled on the ticker at 5:30 AM EST,

100M / 7 years.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/27/redskins-sign-albert-haynesworth-to-100-million-deal/

The Washington Redskins have made the biggest splash on the first day of NFL free agency, signing former Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to a seven-year, $100 million contract.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the deal includes $41 million guaranteed in the first three years, and the maximum value of the deal could be $115 million. According to Schefter, the deal is the richest contract ever given to a player and includes more guaranteed money than any contract in NFL history has ever included.

The quickness of the deal -- getting done just hours after the start of the free agency period -- could lead to questions of whether the Redskins tampered with Haynesworth. After all, $100 million contracts are complex documents. How did the Redskins and Haynesworth have time to hammer out all the details before 6 AM on the first day that they were allowed to talk to each other?

NFL tampering rules, however, are difficult to enforce because the charges are hard to prove. And the Redskins are obviously working hard this morning at spending Dan Snyder's money. They've already signed Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall, and they're reportedly making overtures to Cowboys defensive end Chris Canty and Ravens guard/center Jason Brown. Snyder is apparently immune to the effects of the recession.

roscoesdad27
02-27-2009, 05:12 AM
wow.......

Sveen
02-27-2009, 05:15 AM
If this is true. Where do they find the cap room? DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth just a few hours into free agency.

comahan
02-27-2009, 05:17 AM
41 Mil, gosh

M.O.T.H.
02-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Ughhhhhhhhhhhh...it was inevitable but, god Ware's contract is going to be so ugly.

Bills2083
02-27-2009, 06:18 AM
How are they able to afford this contract?

DJC
02-27-2009, 06:34 AM
How are they able to afford this contract?

I'm guessing Springs, Taylor, and Collins will be some of the players released today to make some room. Probably made the contract to where it's not very front heavy either. Snyder is a master of creating cap room.

I don't really get it though. How can they enter FA with $8.1 million in cap room, resign Hall for 10 mill per year, and sign Al to the biggest contract for non-QB ever. How the hell do they expect to sign their draft picks?

bolts2388
02-27-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm guessing Springs, Taylor, and Collins will be some of the players released today to make some room. Probably made the contract to where it's not very front heavy either. Snyder is a master of creating cap room.

I don't really get it though. How can they enter FA with $8.1 million in cap room, resign Hall for 10 mill per year, and sign Al to the biggest contract for non-QB ever. How the hell do they expect to sign their draft picks?

Madden doesn't even let you do this kind of stuff. :confused:

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 06:45 AM

they hardly draft usually. but. Tampering?

JRTPlaya21
02-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Damnit!. This is the last thing I wanted us to do. Overpay for Fat Al & Hall.

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 06:52 AM
i bet Fat Al slows down

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:08 AM
I hope he does. We're going to need our interior OL to really play great against the skins because of this. I really, really hope he slows down. I was wondering the same thing, how can they afford it? Just going off of simplified math here. 14+9>8, so how can they afford these guys. I know they are back-loaded, but Al is getting at least 11 mil, and Hall is probably getting at least 6 or 7, so that still puts them about 10 mil over the cap. Someone is going to have to be cut, or someone has to explain this to me...

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:09 AM
They're going to have to trade away their first round pick. They can't afford to sign him.

If I were a Redskins fan, I'd hate this deal. Way too much cap room tied up in a DT.

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Wouldn't they just forfeit it though? i think thats what you meant anyway.

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't they just forfeit it though? i think thats what you meant anyway.

No, that would be ********. Their pick has every bit of its original value, even if they can't afford to draft someone with it.

D-Rod
02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Anyone care to calculate how many whoppers Fat Al can eat for $115 million?

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Apporxiamtely 28,750,000, but the actual number will be less, he needs a drink and fries;).

Yes i actually did the calculations...

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
48 million 117 thousands 154 whoppers

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:19 AM
No, that would be ********. Their pick has every bit of its original value, even if they can't afford to draft someone with it.

Who would they trade it to though, Al was a UFA.

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Anyone care to calculate how many whoppers Fat Al can eat for $115 million?

They're 2 for $4 at my local Burger King. Figure 10% total tax between the state and locality...52,272,727. 35,022,727,090 calories. Yum!

That's 13,068,181 lbs of beef.*

*precooked weight

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Who would they trade it to though, Al was a UFA.

What on earth does that have to do with the first round pick? You think the other 31 teams have zero desire for another first rounder?

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:31 AM
What on earth does that have to do with the first round pick? You think the other 31 teams have zero desire for another first rounder?

But no one can get it. What happens is the Redskins just lose it. The Pats didn't trade away their first rounder with the scandal they had about 2 years ago, it was forfeited. Since Hynesworth was a UFA, no team can lay claims to a first round pick from him. Tenesse might get a compensatory pick for him next year, but no team can get an extra first rounder for doing nothing.

skinzzfan25
02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Snyder makes the cap his little ***** every year. We'll easily be able to sign our picks, and hell depending on cuts maybe even more in FA.

I don't know how he does it. It's magic.

D-Rod
02-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Wow, three responses, that's impressive.

As for trading the first rounder, if they really can't afford it, they'd just trade it for a future pick. They'd get less than normal value, but they'd get something.

I expect they'll just release a few high-priced vets, move some money around.

D-Rod
02-27-2009, 07:34 AM
But no one can get it. What happens is the Redskins just lose it. The Pats didn't trade away their first rounder with the scandal they had about 2 years ago, it was forfeited. Since Hynesworth was a UFA, no team can lay claims to a first round pick from him. Tenesse might get a compensatory pick for him next year, but no team can get an extra first rounder for doing nothing.

Er, why would the redskins forfeit their first rounder?

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:36 AM

What the hell are you talking about? I said they'd have to trade their first rounder because Fat Albert got all of the money that would be needed to sign him, and you somehow decide it's a scandal requiring them to give a pick to another team?

...It's not getting a extra first rounder for nothing. It's TRADING. By definition, you have to give up something.

Duh?

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I see why monomach and I are so confused. He is under the assumption the Skins are under the cap. I am going by the hypothetical that the skins won't be under the cap, and I think i remember the 49ers lost a few guys and a first rounder because they were over the cap in the late 90s. OK if the skins are under the cap and can't afford the first round pay, they'll trade it, monomach your right there. I was talking about if they are over the cap and can't get under the NFL will penalize them and they would have to forfeit the pick.

02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Dan Snyder can make it rain.

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Snyder is never gonna be over the cap, ever

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I see why monomach and I are so confused. He is under the assumption the Skins are under the cap. I am going by the hypothetical that the skins won't be under the cap, and I think i remember the 49ers lost a few guys and a first rounder because they were over the cap in the late 90s. OK if the skins are under the cap, they'll trade it, monomach your right there. I was talking about if they are over the cap and can't get under the NFL will penalize them and they would have to forfeit the pick.
No, Monomach and you are not confused. It's just you.

You're operating on a strange assumption.

Teams don't go over the cap anymore. The standard operating procedure provided for by the rules is for the commish to reject any contract that would put a team over the cap.

Therefore, it is obvious that vets will be cut before Fat Albert actually signs the paper. If they're not, the commish makes Albert's payday disappear and Dan Snyder looks like a drooling moron to everyone in the world.

21ST
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
This is crazy and we are still gonna sign 2or 3more people to, i wonder what canty is going to get. We really dont have to cut anybody but i beleive the only reason springs was on the roster was because we didnt know if we were getting hall back, but i think he is going to be the only one that gets cut. I have no idea what you guys are talking about, of course we are going to be able to sign our first round pick.

Monomach
02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
This is crazy and we are still gonna sign 2or 3more people to, i wonder what canty is going to get. We really dont have to cut anybody but i beleive the only reason springs was on the roster was because we didnt know if we were getting hall back, but i think he is going to be the only one that gets cut. I have no idea what you guys are talking about, of course we are going to be able to sign our first round pick.

I don't think you understand the salary cap...

You can't put 12 gallons of water in a one gallon container...

21ST
02-27-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't think you understand the salary cap...

You can't put 12 gallons of water in a one gallon container...

And i dont think you understand the redskins......

They been there and done that.......

damn the cap in 1994 was $34.608 Mill lol

Monomach
02-27-2009, 08:03 AM
And i dont think you understand the redskins......

They been there and done that.......

damn the cap in 1994 was $34.608 Mill lol

Yes, they've been there and done that. They've CUT PLAYERS, like I said.

21ST
02-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Im telling you they are only going to cut one/trade one

jsagan77
02-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Every post you've had has been either inaccurate or full of jealousy towards the Skins. You wish that they would have to give up a first rounder but the reality is that they utilize and max out the cap every year... This year we'll sign some big FA's and sign all of our draft picks and have a little wiggle room during the season. They restructured like 6 people and still have guys they could release to free up 16-20 mil... Don't hate the Skins because they are the best cap managers in football year in and year out and utilize it to full capacity while others sit by and watch...

Monomach
02-27-2009, 08:23 AM
still have guys they could release to free up 16-20 mil... .

It's kind of funny that you say I'm jealous of the Skins. What is there to be jealous of? You guys sign big nakmes for way too much money and fail, year after year. I'm cool with the Bears not doing that.

You just said that my posts are inaccurate, but you went and agreed with me. Funny how that works. "You're a stupid dummyhead! We don't have to cut people to free up cap room, because we have a lot of people we could cut, instead!" :confused:

~~~Selling clues, only $1 (and if you guys CUT SOMEONE, you'll have the dollar to spend)~~~

NY+Giants=NYG
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey, maybe he might play a full season now? lol. He reminds me of Manny R. of football.

brat316
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
It's kind of funny that you say I'm jealous of the Skins. What is there to be jealous of? You guys sign big nakmes for way too much money and fail, year after year. I'm cool with the Bears not doing that.

You just said that my posts are inaccurate, but you went and agreed with me. Funny how that works. "You're a stupid dummyhead! We don't have to cut people to free up cap room, because we have a lot of people we could cut, instead!" :confused:

~~~Selling clues, only $1 (and if you guys CUT SOMEONE, you'll have the dollar to spend)~~~

ohhhh you owned him

JFLO
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Does anyone else take him signing 5 hours into free agency for 100M a sign of just wanting money?

I think if he were going off a winning perspective--even a mix of winning and money, then he would have stayed put in Nashville.

brat316
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
7 years 100 million that is qb money. Damn him, now James Harrison will want some crazy dough.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 08:37 AM
James Harrison has had 1 good season no reason he gets any where near that money

21ST
02-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Does anyone else take him signing 5 hours into free agency for 100M a sign of just wanting money?

I think if he were going off a winning perspective--even a mix of winning and money, then he would have stayed put in Nashville.

How do you figure that

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 08:42 AM
He would of been on a really good defense but who is to say that Collins has another good year?

jsagan77
02-27-2009, 08:44 AM

I think it's rather entertaining that all you got from my post was "we can cut people to make more room"...

21ST
02-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Tampa offered the most money to fat Al by the way

vikes_28
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Poor Redskins. Do they realize that signing big players to big contracts doesn't mean you win? Fail. Everytime. They have an all-star coaching staff, running back, everything (except quarterback) and they still suck. I'm sorry, but a DT will make an impact, but not an impact that will win them the game. DT is not a glamour position.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
I think it is a glorious position because if you can not stop the run than you have no defense ask the Packers.

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I think it is a glorious position because if you can not stop the run than you have no defense ask the Packers.
ask the Vikings how far they got

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM
ask the Vikings how far they got

They had a good defensive year didn't they?? With Portis and Moss/Randel El they should be ok. Also Cooley.

21ST
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Poor Redskins. Do they realize that signing big players to big contracts doesn't mean you win? Fail. Everytime. They have an all-star coaching staff, running back, everything (except quarterback) and they still suck. I'm sorry, but a DT will make an impact, but not an impact that will win them the game. DT is not a glamour position.

LOL we needed a DT we went and got the best one, and regardless of all that they are still better than your favorite team so how about you worry about the vikings and how they can suck less

21ST
02-27-2009, 08:57 AM
They had a good defensive year didn't they?? With Portis and Moss/Randel El they should be ok. Also Cooley.

and Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelley and Fred Davis

After we sign canty all we have to do is get some O-linemam and with 13 get Brian Cushing

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
LOL we needed a DT we went and got the best one, and regardless of all that they are still better than your favorite team so how about you worry about the vikings and how they can suck less
last time i checked Vikings ended up higher than the Redskins

21ST
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
last time i checked Vikings ended up higher than the Redskins

Well do you think that the vikings are better than the redskins

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
yes, but they still couldnt do ****

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
and Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelley and Fred Davis

After we sign canty all we have to do is get some O-linemam and with 13 get Brian Cushing

Do you guys really have the room to get Haynesworth, Hall, and Canty? That's just going overboard with the money, but I wouldn't know the cap situation for them.

HawkeyeFan
02-27-2009, 09:17 AM

No...But the Rams are :)

no love
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM

The only thing that matters is how many wins you have at the end of the year and whether you made it into the playoffs.

You could say the same thing about the Cardinals. You may not think the Cardinals are the better team than the Redskins, but hey, they were in the superbowl.

21ST
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
No...But the Rams are :)

I cant even remember the last time we beat the rams

HawkeyeFan
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I cant even remember the last time we beat the rams
Neither can I, and I'm not being cocky, I don't feel like looking it up right now. I know 2 seasons ago we beat you in Overtime on a Jackson run, so later than that.

I miss Sean Taylor :(

21ST
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Neither can I, and I'm not being cocky, I don't feel like looking it up right now. I know 2 seasons ago we beat you in Overtime on a Jackson run, so later than that.

I miss Sean Taylor :(

yeah i remember that

TaylorMade
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I love this move. Snyder rules!

TitleTown088
02-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Stubblefe... ;)

TaylorMade
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Stubblefe... ;)

Dana Steroidsfeild?

phlysac
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
James Harrison has had 1 good season no reason he gets any where near that money

Because Haynesworth has had tremendous season after tremendous season??? As far as I can see both Harrison and Haynesworth each have 2 consecutive great seasons. Both of Haynesworth's were contract years and both of Harrison's were after Joey Porter left.

Addict
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
this is why the NFL is gonna need a new system for contracts. The market structure is destroying it right now.

PACKmanN
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM

I would take the Vikings' offense and defense over yours. Your just a bitter fan. Has this plan worked before for you to be talking up your team...

hugegmenfan
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
wow as a giants fan im not happy right now--although it gives them no leverage with cap room and any one else but still he is so dominant

aNYtitan
02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
this is why the NFL is gonna need a new system for contracts. The market structure is destroying it right now.

This is just how its going to work. If anything needs a reworking its rookie contracts, specifically 1st round picks. I personally think that the way the system works that its perfectally fine that contracts are created this way. Consider that the Redskins will have to release players and not to mention have to afford a 1st round pick to get under the cap. Future seasons are going to be hell for them to get under the cap, cause I bet that Haynesworth's contract is pretty backloaded. They were only $8.1 million under the cap so if they are still under the cap this season, then they did alot of backloading to sign him

21ST
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I would take the Vikings' offense and defense over yours. Your just a bitter fan. Has this plan worked before for you to be talking up your team...

Its true without him

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Because Haynesworth has had tremendous season after tremendous season??? As far as I can see both Harrison and Haynesworth each have 2 consecutive great seasons. Both of Haynesworth's were contract years and both of Harrison's were after Joey Porter left.

Yea, except for the fact that Haynesworth is 27 and entering his prime and Harrison is 30 years old in a position that can easily be replaced, while a DT like Haynesworth rarely becomes available.

Harrison is going to see nowhere near that money.

But I think props should go to Haynesworth's agent, last year he structured the deal with incentives that if Fat Al hit he wouldn't be able to get tagged again, without that clause in the contract he would of been tagged and in Tenn at least one more year, so putting that 'no franchise' tag in there enabled him to bolt and make the big money.

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm impressed by Snyder. The only people who can hate him for this deal are fans from other teams who are jealous. ...well... and also Redskins fans who will pay for it when their ticket prices and crap go up. But I love owners who aren't cheapsakes. ...and Snyder is not cheap. Risky? Yes, but how can you fault a guy who does this year after year and gets away with it? You can't. You just have to sit back and say damn, Snyder is the man.

I'm hoping this forces Jerry to open up his wallet to get Ray Lewis and/or Sean Jones now.

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
The Skins cut Shawn Springs.

Halsey
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Looks like the Redskins will be keeping the offseason Lombardi in Washington for a 6th straight year.

703SKINS202
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
O wow just woke up crazy. Glad we cut Springs, if Al doesnt fat out this is going to be something we have never had im excited.

21ST
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Looks like the Redskins will be keeping the offseason Lombardi in Washington for a 6th straight year.

Before today the skins havent signed a big name FA since 06

21ST
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
This is just how its going to work. If anything needs a reworking its rookie contracts, specifically 1st round picks. I personally think that the way the system works that its perfectally fine that contracts are created this way. Consider that the Redskins will have to release players and not to mention have to afford a 1st round pick to get under the cap. Future seasons are going to be hell for them to get under the cap, cause I bet that Haynesworth's contract is pretty backloaded. They were only $8.1 million under the cap so if they are still under the cap this season, then they did alot of backloading to sign him

LMAO, oh really?

gafyobop
02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
That is a lot of money for two players who have difficulty performing when they are not "motivated."

DeAngelo Hall however must be rolling around laughing. NO PLAYER IN THE NFL has made more money in the last 13 months than him AND HE GOT TRADED THEN CUT!!!

These stupid owners like Jones, Snyder and Davis really are poisoning the game with Steinbrenner like silliness.

PoopSandwich
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
How is it silly when you need a corner and Hall was solid as can be with the Redskins? He would have gotten good money wherever he went.

TitanHope
02-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Good luck to Haynesworth in DC, and congrats to Skins fans - ya'll just got yourselves and damn fine player.

critesy
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
if you have a chance at getting possibly the most dominating player in the NFL(last year) in free agency and its a need for your team i consider it a HUGE plus to your team.

M.O.T.H.
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Luckily, Andre Gurode completely owns Big Al.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
That is a lot of money for two players who have difficulty performing when they are not "motivated."

DeAngelo Hall however must be rolling around laughing. NO PLAYER IN THE NFL has made more money in the last 13 months than him AND HE GOT TRADED THEN CUT!!!

These stupid owners like Jones, Snyder and Davis really are poisoning the game with Steinbrenner like silliness.

Yet Hall was being offered similar numbers by multiple other teams and if he signed elsewhere everyone would say it's a good signing, DHall is on the rise to being a top corner again. If Nate Burleson can get 50 mil, I have no problem with giving that to Deangelo Hall.

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Right!!! Jerry was crazy to pay Pacman all that money!!! :rolleyes: Last I checked there is still a salary cap, if some owners want to play it close every year and cut corners so be it, it obviously hasn't proved it wins championships but it's certainly not poisoning the game and it's completely different then baseball...Somebody else could of gave Fat Al 100 million, just nobody else wanted to.

I think Hall is going to be great for Washington, close to home, still young, regardless of what you think he's the best CB on the market...I think it's a little pricey right now but if he plays well then it will be right on par, if they can get a DE with some pass-rush early in the draft Horton, Hall, and Rogers will make some plays in that secondary.

I read somewhere that if Orakpo last to their pick he's going to be a SOLB, not sure why they wouldn't want him to just play his natural position and rush the passer *shrugs*.

21ST
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Right!!! Jerry was crazy to pay Pacman all that money!!! :rolleyes: Last I checked there is still a salary cap, if some owners want to play it close every year and cut corners so be it, it obviously hasn't proved it wins championships but it's certainly not poisoning the game and it's completely different then baseball...Somebody else could of gave Fat Al 100 million, just nobody else wanted to.

I think Hall is going to be great for Washington, close to home, still young, regardless of what you think he's the best CB on the market...I think it's a little pricey right now but if he plays well then it will be right on par, if they can get a DE with some pass-rush early in the draft Horton, Hall, and Rogers will make some plays in that secondary.

I read somewhere that if Orakpo last to their pick he's going to be a SOLB, not sure why they wouldn't want him to just play his natural position and rush the passer *shrugs*.

On NFL Network they said tampa offered more

OSUGiants17
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bucs_Rule
02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Luckily, Andre Gurode completely owns Big Al.

I am so looking forward to watching those 2 play.

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I am so looking forward to watching those 2 play.

I'm willing to bet that first game is going to be a night game just so ESPN can show replays of him stomping on Gurode a million times right up to the snap lol.

Canadian_draft_fan
02-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Gonna be some fun in the NFC East this year. Prior to the signings today I would have said the Skins would be a lock for last place. If these signings pan out Skins could go from worst to first (and J Campbell continues to improve).

SeanTaylorRIP
02-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Gonna be some fun in the NFC East this year. Prior to the signings today I would have said the Skins would be a lock for last place. If these signings pan out Skins could go from worst to first (and J Campbell continues to improve).

Great flaming soon to follow.

M.O.T.H.
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Luckily for the nfc east...we all have outstanding centers and in Gurode and Jackson's cases they are enormous for the position.

OzTitan
02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
As some media outlets are starting to point out, the deal is really only a 4y contract in the $45-50M range. $41M of that is guaranteed, which is what really matters, but as I posted before free agency (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1491787#post1491787), the $100M barrier is only broken because of fluff money in the form of base salaries in irrelevant years.

Since signing bonuses can only prorate over 4 years in any contract signed this offseason (last capped year clause), years 5, 6 and 7 may as well not exist because Haynesworth is never seeing them. It would cost the Redskins $0 in accelerated cap hit to release Haynesworth after 4 seasons.

So it's effectively a 4 year deal, which means the Redskins can probably still attract a net cap gain by releasing Albert within 3 years, possibly even after 2.

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 01:32 AM
As some media outlets are starting to point out, the deal is really only a 4y contract in the $45-50M range. $41M of that is guaranteed, which is what really matters, but as I posted before free agency (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1491787#post1491787), the $100M barrier is only broken because of fluff money in the form of base salaries in irrelevant years.

Since signing bonuses can only prorate over 4 years in any contract signed this offseason (last capped year clause), years 5, 6 and 7 may as well not exist because Haynesworth is never seeing them. It would cost the Redskins $0 in accelerated cap hit to release Haynesworth after 4 seasons.

So it's effectively a 4 year deal, which means the Redskins can probably still attract a net cap gain by releasing Albert within 3 years, possibly even after 2.

That is very smart by them, especially if he continues to not play full schedules, and have motavational issues.

scottyboy
02-28-2009, 08:01 AM
why I'm not afraid:

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ohara.jpg

http://chrisonrails.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/rutgers.jpg

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 08:39 AM
The NFC East just keeps getting stronger. Except for the eagles...

Hey at least I can look forward to the draft. :)

NY+Giants=NYG
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM

NFC East is the place to be! Hence everyone and their mother coming in this damn div.

M.O.T.H.
02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
NFC East is the place to be! Hence everyone and their mother coming in this damn div.

Just got a lot STRONGER today.

Jon Kitna baby! Look out Romo.

:(

HokiesSkins2621
02-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Despite what Eagle fans may think. As long as you guys got Donavon your be competative.

toddmlazarchick
02-28-2009, 07:38 PM
The skins still have room under the cap. $4 million i believe and thats without other players restructuring. We can potentially be around $10 million under with a few more restructures. Dont be shocked if you see Crowell and Willis as Redskins as well.

BlindSite
02-28-2009, 07:44 PM
The first four years are worth 48 million dollars. So I doubt he's crippled the redskins financially. 12 million a year in cap hit isn't crippling at all really.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM
why I'm not afraid:

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ohara.jpg

http://chrisonrails.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/rutgers.jpg

lol

and do i see a "ballin" in a skins fan's sig? my lawyers will call you

Canadian_draft_fan
03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
The first four years are worth 48 million dollars. So I doubt he's crippled the redskins financially. 12 million a year in cap hit isn't crippling at all really.

Yeah, very salient point. I doubt any of the Redskins signings this off season see more than half the money of the total contract.

Shane P. Hallam
03-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I think this will either go down as an amazing signing, if Blache can get what he needs out of Haynesworth, or it will just be a disaster if Haynesworth doesn't want to play.

D-Rod
03-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, financially it's fine.

I'd much rather pay Haynesworth 12 mill per year than Scott 8 mill per year.

The only question is whether Fat Al maintains his effort level.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
It's just an interview but I was pretty impressed with his interview, a very intelligent sounding dude who wasn't afraid to answer questions about his character and past actions, also I am pretty convinced he wants to be an Alltime great and will work towards that. Time will tell but I have hopes he continues to be the best player in the league.

OzTitan
03-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't really see effort being an issue. If anything, going to the stage of the NFC East and having a fresh new (and much larger) media base on his back will probably be the difference - staying put in Tennessee may have been more of a risk effort wise as the same old scene he was already well proven in would probably only produce complacency.

Health permitted, which is probably the real issue, I think he'll still play at a high level regardless of the $.

McBain
03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I think this will either go down as an amazing signing, if Blache can get what he needs out of Haynesworth, or it will just be a disaster if Haynesworth doesn't want to play.

This is the only signing you can possibly say that about. If i see this kind of talk in any other thread i'll know who the originator is. Thank-you jbond you're clarity personified.

Also, you forgot to add it could be in middle... i just want to make sure you have all your bases covered.