PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Houshmanzadeh Signs With Seattle

Cicero
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Free-agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is expected in Seattle on Friday for a visit with the Seahawks.

Houshmandzadeh, 31, is considered one of the top wide receivers available in free agency. That is a position where the Seahawks want to deepen their roster after injuries ravaged them last season.

He caught 92 passes last season for Cincinnati, his eighth season with the Bengals after being a seventh-round choice in 2001.

Houshmandzadeh played one season at Oregon State after transferring from a junior college.

Free-agent defensive end Chris Canty of Dallas is scheduled to visit the Seahawks on Monday, according to his agent.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008793758_hawk28.html

I will be ecstatic if we can pull this off.

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008793758_hawk28.html

I will be ecstatic if we can pull this off.
That would be a good signing if they can get it done. Would certainly allow them to pick someone other than Crabtree with their pick. I've thought for a while now that they will pick a QB there.

Cicero
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
That would be a good signing if they can get it done. Would certainly allow them to pick someone other than Crabtree with their pick. I've thought for a while now that they will pick a QB there.

Sanchez definitely becomes more of a possibility here if we get Housh. We're going to have to find a successor for Hasselbeck sometime and I don't think we'll be drafting this high again for awhile.

DHVF
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
No, housh is coming to Minnesota and that's that.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
I still believe Housh ends up an Eagle. I think he wants to be an Eagle more than the Eagles want him to be an Eagle.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I still believe Housh ends up an Eagle. I think he wants to be an Eagle more than the Eagles want him to be an Eagle.
I hope you're right.

Cicero
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I hope you're right.

He came to us first, that has to mean something (I hope). :cool:

ThePudge
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Housh's deal is going to make for a nice compensation pick in 2010. Best of luck to T.J. wherever he goes. He's a very solid receiver and has been a reliable player for the Bengals the past five years or so.

That being said, I'm ready to see the guy go. Andre Caldwell showed flashes right near the end of last season and the team really seems to like him. Caldwell offers more in terms of special teams ability and big-play potential with his speed.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
He came to us first, that has to mean something (I hope). :cool:
Let's be honest, what possible incentive could TJ have to make him rather go to Seattle than Philly? lol

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Housh's deal is going to make for a nice compensation pick in 2010. Best of luck to T.J. wherever he goes. He's a very solid receiver and has been a reliable player for the Bengals the past five years or so.

That being said, I'm ready to see the guy go. Andre Caldwell showed flashes right near the end of last season and the team really seems to like him. Caldwell offers more in terms of special teams ability and big-play potential with his speed.
There's no need to be optimistic bro. I know it sucks, but you gotta suck it up. Losing Housh will hurt more than losing Ocho Cinco. Andre Caldwell is a depth player and it's back to the drawing board as far as addressing WR whether that be through the draft, trade or FA.

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Let's be honest, what possible incentive could TJ have to make him rather go to Seattle than Philly? lol
Philly fans are notorious for bashing their stars???

Seriously though, Housh is a Northwest guy and that conference is a helluva lot easier.

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
There's no need to be optimistic bro. I know it sucks, but you gotta suck it up. Losing Housh will hurt more than losing Ocho Cinco. Andre Caldwell is a depth player and it's back to the drawing board as far as addressing WR whether that be through the draft, trade or FA.

Oh no way, Housh is 32 and a great complimentary WR, how hard is it to find a guy like him? Chad has always been the guy who demanded and constantly beat double teams, Caldwell looked very good late and for that role I think he's a perfect fit.

There is absolutely no way that offense resembles anything decent with Housh and a bunch of 2nd year guys vs Chad and a bunch of 2nd year guys, at least Chad will take some pressure off the other 2, something Housh wouldn't be able to provide.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Philly fans are notorious for bashing their stars???

Seriously though, Housh is a Northwest guy and that conference is a helluva lot easier.

I thought for a second he might want to go back to the Northwest but he only went to college there, he's originally from CA. Plus the only star I can think of in recent years that eagles fans bash is McNabb, we loved T.O. until he became a ****.

D-Unit
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I thought for a second he might want to go back to the Northwest but he only went to college there, he's originally from CA. Plus the only star I can think of in recent years that eagles fans bash is McNabb, we loved T.O. until he became a ****.
OK... WC guy...

As far as Philly fans bashing thier own stars.. I wasn't just talking about football.

Cicero
02-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh no way, Housh is 32 and a great complimentary WR, how hard is it to find a guy like him? Chad has always been the guy who demanded and constantly beat double teams, Caldwell looked very good late and for that role I think he's a perfect fit.

There is absolutely no way that offense resembles anything decent with Housh and a bunch of 2nd year guys vs Chad and a bunch of 2nd year guys, at least Chad will take some pressure off the other 2, something Housh wouldn't be able to provide.

If I could only choose one receiver to have on my team between those two, I would much rather have Housh.

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2009, 02:25 PM
If I could only choose one receiver to have on my team between those two, I would much rather have Housh.

That's fine, but that doesn't mean Housh is going to go somewhere and constantly beat double teams week in and out, he's slow, he's a guy who runs great intermediate routes and can work the middle, nothing more.

It would be a disaster if he stayed in Cincy and Chad left IMHO, I really like Housh but he's at the point where he needs another good WR opposite of him to have nearly the same effect he's had.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
OK... WC guy...

As far as Philly fans bashing thier own stars.. I wasn't just talking about football.
Then what does that have to do with what we're talking about?

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Seattle doesn't smell like cat piss?

holt_bruce81
02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Would be a good signing for Seattle. Hopefully they don't overpay for him.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
He needs to come to the Ravens

Bengalsrocket
02-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Eh, these people who think Housh has somehow passed Chad in skill don't seem to watch Bengals games. Housh plays against #2 corners. Chad plays against #1 corners + double teams.

Losing Chad in 2010 will hurt. Losing Housh now will hurt less.

ThePudge
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
That's fine, but that doesn't mean Housh is going to go somewhere and constantly beat double teams week in and out, he's slow, he's a guy who runs great intermediate routes and can work the middle, nothing more.

It would be a disaster if he stayed in Cincy and Chad left IMHO, I really like Housh but he's at the point where he needs another good WR opposite of him to have nearly the same effect he's had.

Exactly. Houshmanzadeh is a good receiver, but he has already reached the peak of his potential. He is a #2 slot type receiver that is adept at running routes, making those tough catches in traffic, using his toughness and willingness as a runner after the catch, and he can be a good player in the redzone working the slot. He is reliable as they come. He is a #2 though, always has been, even in his prime.

To say Chad Johnson would be a smaller loss than T.J. Houshmanzadeh is a bit off base. It's a matter of position. Andre Caldwell is our most promising young receiver and plays the slot just like T.J., he was Housh's backup a year ago along with Antonio Chatman. Johnson's backups were Chris Henry and Jerome Simpson, who are all more natural split out wide.

As for Caldwell being a backup type, he may be, but he didn't appear to be going in that direction at the end of the year. Caldwell may be a Florida Wider Receiver, but the guy is very promising. He is quicker and faster than T.J. ever was, but he also has the hands, toughness, willingness, and developed quickly as a route runner in the slot. Caldwell also is a very good Kick Returner who adds the ability to take it all the way. I admit, I was not high on Caldwell early, I was skeptical, but he has convinced me and the team seems to really believe in him.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
It is easy to say it won't hurt when you know he is going to be gone but deep down inside you are crying about it.

Bengalsrocket
02-27-2009, 03:10 PM
It is easy to say it won't hurt when you know he is going to be gone but deep down inside you are crying about it.

I realize you're just taunting the Bengals posters to start crap, but honestly are you oblivious to everything that has happened in Cincinnati recently?

Anyways, the lose will hurt, obviously. No Bengals fan is going to tell you that Caldwell is better than Housh right now. But he has the potential. And honestly, both Chad and Chris Henry are better than Housh. Yes. Chris "Jail is my home away from home" Henry is better than Houshmandzadeh.

The Bengals may not be very good at many things, but they certainly know how to find receivers. That's why none of us cried about the Jerome Simpson pick and it's why none of us are crying right now.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone that thinks Housch is better than Ocho Cinco is out their damn mind.

BlindSite
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I dunno if Housh wants to go to another losing team. I think he'd love to go somewhere with a shot at a ring, especially because he's 31 (did anyone else think he was younger than that?) so I'm guessing he'll want a playoff team.

With Plaxico looking gone, he wouldn't be a bad option in NY no?

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I realize you're just taunting the Bengals posters to start crap, but honestly are you oblivious to everything that has happened in Cincinnati recently?

Anyways, the lose will hurt, obviously. No Bengals fan is going to tell you that Caldwell is better than Housh right now. But he has the potential. And honestly, both Chad and Chris Henry are better than Housh. Yes. Chris "Jail is my home away from home" Henry is better than Houshmandzadeh.

The Bengals may not be very good at many things, but they certainly know how to find receivers. That's why none of us cried about the Jerome Simpson pick and it's why none of us are crying right now.

LOL Your right I just like picking with my rivals

Bengalsrocket
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I dunno if Housh wants to go to another losing team. I think he'd love to go somewhere with a shot at a ring, especially because he's 31 (did anyone else think he was younger than that?) so I'm guessing he'll want a playoff team.

With Plaxico looking gone, he wouldn't be a bad option in NY no?

Yah, but he's also never had a mega contract in Cincinnati. From the talk of the last couple of years from Housh it's less about winning and more about getting respect. He thinks he deserves a big contract (and maybe he does).

Also, there was an article on Bengals.com that said if Housh got paid what he wanted by Saturday night then he would go to that team.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7529

They're not out of it and the sides are talking, but there is no midnight deal looming like there was with him four years ago.

Quarterback Carson Palmer has turned into Tom Daschle without the limos and is lobbying Houshmandzadeh hard. He called Houshmandzadeh on Thursday while he was working out.

"He just said, 'Don't forget us,' and I told him the same thing I'm telling you," Houshmandzadeh said Thursday night. "If they're fair, we'll make history. If not, we can still hang out and be friends."

Houshmandzadeh said he wants to be on a team by Saturday night.

"I don't want it to go into Sunday," he said.

He said the Bengals and agent Kennard McGuire have talked and there is a sense that both sides would like to reach a resolution that keeps him in Cincinnati.

ThePudge
02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
LOL Your right I just like picking with my rivals

C'mon Ravens fans, we have to gang up on the Steelers fans. They just won a Super Bowl, we have to stir up some trouble with them.

bored of education
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
"If they're fair, we'll make history. If not, we can still hang out and be friends."

that made me laugh

Beans
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM
come to tampa, housh

ThePudge
02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
come to tampa, housh

Would be his best fit, he wouldn't have to assume the #1 role because of Antonio Bryant's resurgence.

Shahin
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

If Chris Henry can stay outta trouble, he's gonna be the next big guy at receiver. Roddy White-esque.

Beans
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
i swear housh better be a buc by the time i get back from work

DHVF
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM

No, he wants to play chillyball with ad, now go away.

Geo
02-27-2009, 09:07 PM
"If they're fair, we'll make history. If not, we can still hang out and be friends."

that made me laugh
Seriously, I hate this guy's ego and attitude. Him and Chad Johnson and Chris Henry, I dislike them all. I feel sorry for Carson.

Plus the Bengals were stupid to sign Ben Utecht from the Colts. I didn't want to say it then to not hurt the fans' feelings, but he's an alright guy except he fumbles and can't stay healthy. The latter they saw for themselves in his first season in Cincy.

Hopefully Crabtree falls to the Bengals so Palmer can have a really great trio of Crabtree, Caldwell, and Simpson. Guys willing to play the game without absurd egos and bad character screwing it all up.

Beans
02-27-2009, 09:15 PM

>:U

housh dont make me wait all night

SeanTaylorRIP
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
All the Skins need now is Housh http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

GB12
02-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Well he's not going to Philly.

The Eagles, who had little interest in Houshmandzadeh to begin with, told McGuire they’re not interested in the 31-year-old, eight-year veteran.
http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_homepage?blockID=42255&feedID=729

LonghornsLegend
02-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Well he's not going to Philly.

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_homepage?blockID=42255&feedID=729

Not surprising, watch them get another tiny speed back in the 4th round to back up Westbrook now and another possession WR.

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Not surprising, watch them get another tiny speed back in the 4th round to back up Westbrook now and another possession WR.

Sounds like the Eagles.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Man the eagles FO is really starting to piss me off.

Sniper
02-28-2009, 08:15 AM

Championship!

Sniper
02-28-2009, 08:17 AM

- Let go of a team legend? Check
- Fail to address a 10-year old need? Check
- Overpay for a mediocre player? Check

The only reason I'm not breaking **** into a thousand pieces is because they let Sean Considine go.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 08:47 AM
well theres a good chance the giants are out of this. They've been interviewing DL and got Boley.

Our top 3 needs are: WR, OLB, and arguably DT. reason why i say arguably is because some feel we need an OT or a RB.

But from our signing of Boley and possibly Canty or Bernard, it shows we're looking to move up for a WR.

That said i do think he goes to the eagles, even though i really cant imagine him in a eagles uniform, he's got a QB that when healthy is top 5 in the league, its not as windy and as cold as it is in seattle, and Also because eagles were just in the playoffs almost to the superbowl.

Last year Cincy played NFC East, so he knows how he'll be doing against them. And although he didnt have a great OL or healthy QB he had a TD against the Giants and 2 against Cowboys, TIED THE EAGLES :), and didnt do well against the redskins.

But his numbers were against NFC East

34 catches, 400 yards, 4 TDs (all of his TDs were against NFC East teams) and avged 11.8 yards per catch.

two years ago, against NFC West:

33 catches, 340 yards, 2 TDs (12 TDs that season) and avged 10.3 yards in a year in which the offense was better and healthier.

The numbers are pretty close, but you can see that even in his decline he still did better against the NFC east than when he was playing well against NFC west teams.

andyjo672
02-28-2009, 09:38 AM

The fact that Seattle, as a city itself, isn't a dump would be where I'd start off.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
The fact that Seattle, as a city itself, isn't a dump would be where I'd start off.
Someone beat you to it, and it wasn't original then. Nice try though.

andyjo672
02-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Someone beat you to it, and it wasn't original then. Nice try though.

Didn't read the entire thread. Your petty comments don't make me feel worse. Nice try though.

Geo
02-28-2009, 09:48 AM
The Eagles' front office isn't going to invest big money in a 32-years-old-this-September wide receiver who isn't a big deep threat. You should know that as an Eagles fan already.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Didn't read the entire thread. Your petty comments don't make me feel worse. Nice try though.
My petty comments? I'm not the one making fun of the condition of a whole city, when this is a football discussion.

Geo
02-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Btw, if it feels like I've been dogging Housh, I think he is a very good receiver. I don't like his ego and attitude, but he's a very good player and whoever does sign him gets a starter to help their offense. Similar to Wes Welker.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 09:57 AM
My petty comments? I'm not the one making fun of the condition of a whole city, when this is a football discussion.

You asked what reasons he would have. The fact that Seattle is one of the nicest cities in America, and Philadelphia is full of ******** assholes, is definately relevant.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 09:57 AM
The Eagles' front office isn't going to invest big money in a 32-years-old-this-September wide receiver who isn't a big deep threat. You should know that as an Eagles fan already.
I was hoping for a 2-3 year deal that could increase the eagles chances at winning a SB for that time period, it seems like the eagles are always thinking 5 years down the road when they should be thinking about now. That's why we're always in the playoff hunt but we never win the big one. Also we already have a great deep threat in DeSean Jackson, Housh would complement him very well.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 10:00 AM
You asked what reasons he would have. The fact that Seattle is one of the nicest cities in America, and Philadelphia is full of ******** assholes, is definately relevant.
I was talking strictly from a football standpoint, but I can see why Seattle is on the top of everyone's wishlist as far as cities are concerned. Everyone is so depressed there it has the highest suicide rate in the country, I can see why Housh would want to go there.

Geo
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I agree with you that Houshmandzadeh would be a good fit in Philly, but the Eagles aren't going to spend that much for players past the age of 30. Terrell Owens was an exception, as an elite player who turned 31 in December of his first season with the team. He had size and experience in the WCO in his favor though, so even if he began to decline, he would still be productive.

Especially after Houshmazilli and his agent tried to pull one over the Eagles and that pissed them off. I think he may have burned that bridge, unless he continues to go unsigned and then lowers his price (for real this time) to sign with Philly.

But I don't think he'll land in Philly.

Brown Leader
02-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Seriously, I hate this guy's ego and attitude. Him and Chad Johnson and Chris Henry, I dislike them all. I feel sorry for Carson.

Plus the Bengals were stupid to sign Ben Utecht from the Colts. I didn't want to say it then to not hurt the fans' feelings, but he's an alright guy except he fumbles and can't stay healthy. The latter they saw for themselves in his first season in Cincy.

Hopefully Crabtree falls to the Bengals so Palmer can have a really great trio of Crabtree, Caldwell, and Simpson. Guys willing to play the game without absurd egos and bad character screwing it all up.

LOL what WR in the league doesn't have an ego-in fact what star pro athlete doesn't have an ego-some just don't show it in public. Crabtree "I'm just a great person" is no different. I think Carson's feeling more sorry about his team's #1 guy and the team's leader possibly leaving.

Geo
02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't disagree, any wide receiver has more ego than any other football position. Other than maybe cornerback, who might be very close.

It's intrinsic, part of their nature, because wide receivers and cornerbacks have the closest thing to a one-on-one matchup as there is in football. They have to go out there and beat their man.

andyjo672
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I was talking strictly from a football standpoint, but I can see why Seattle is on the top of everyone's wishlist as far as cities are concerned. Everyone is so depressed there it has the highest suicide rate in the country, I can see why Housh would want to go there.

You thinking that Philly is nicer than Seattle leads me to believe that you've never left the Deleware/S Jersey/Philly area in your life. People that live there actually think its nice, and those of us that have had to work there for several months make fun of you for it.

But back to Housh, I see him being an obviously more talented Nate Burleson, but with sort of the same result out in Seattle. They sign him to big money, when he's never really proven to be a legit #1 without someone lining up on the otherside. Even if Seattle did sign him, I still think they're in the running for Crabtree in the draft.

Brown Leader
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't disagree, any wide receiver has more ego than any other football position. Other than maybe cornerback, who might be very close.

It's intrinsic, part of their nature, because wide receivers and cornerbacks have the closest thing to a one-on-one matchup as there is in football. They have to go out there and beat their man.

True. The only time I knock it is when it gets into TO level-completely dysfunctional. But I think even he could be tolerated and calmed by a strong coach.

vikes_28
02-28-2009, 10:25 AM
He will land in Minnesota. Vikings are in need of a number 2 guy. Or in Housh's case he would be #1 and Berrian #2. Wade is a solid #3.

Brown Leader
02-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I love T.J.'s arrogance and attitude. As a Browns fan and naturally hater of Pittsburgh-TJ's towel thing was a classic moment to cherish. For that moment alone Housh will always be the man.
My money is on him heading back to Cincinnati.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
You thinking that Philly is nicer than Seattle leads me to believe that you've never left the Deleware/S Jersey/Philly area in your life. People that live there actually think its nice, and those of us that have had to work there for several months make fun of you for it.

Never said Philly was nicer than Seattle, just saying Seattle isn't exactly Miami or San Diego in terms of a city that attracts players, so you can't really use that argument in discussing why someone would pick Seattle over Philly. This all doesn't matter because it turns out the eagles don't want him anyway.

Beans
02-28-2009, 10:29 AM
He will land in Minnesota.

you spelled tampa wrong

vikes_28
02-28-2009, 10:47 AM
you spelled tampa wrong

HA. Nope. Housh even told his agent to start looking into Minnesota.

Beans
02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
shut up i wont believe you

its all a liiiiie

vikes_28
02-28-2009, 10:51 AM
or your just jealous that Minnesota is >>>>>> Tampa.

jk.

DON'T DENY THE TRUTH!!!

The Dynasty
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
According to this:
http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/02/tj_on_way_to_minnesota.html

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2545

He will be making a visit to Minnesota today and Hopefully he doesn't leave.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't for the life of me understand why Vikings' fans want this so bad.

DHVF
02-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Why not? We clearly have a void at WR alongside Berrian and Housh is a great candidate to fill that. Its quite simple really.

MetSox17
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Why not? We clearly have a void at WR alongside Berrian and Housh is a great candidate to fill that. Its quite simple really.

Minnesota should be trying just as hard to find a competent enough quarterback to win games, instead of trading for career backups.

DHVF
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Minnesota should be trying just as hard to find a competent enough quarterback to win games, instead of trading for career backups.

Well I'm pretty sure our front office believes that by trading for Sage they did just that. Many may not agree with their logic that Sage is that guy, but that honestly doesn't matter.

MetSox17
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Well I'm pretty sure our front office believes that by trading for Sage they did just that.
Did what, trade for a backup? Yeah, they did do that.
Many may not agree with their logic that Sage is that guy, but that honestly doesn't matter.

Then why are we here giving our thoughts and opinions on anything NFL related? :rolleyes:

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 01:11 PM
LOL what WR in the league doesn't have an ego-in fact what star pro athlete doesn't have an ego-some just don't show it in public. Crabtree "I'm just a great person" is no different. I think Carson's feeling more sorry about his team's #1 guy and the team's leader possibly leaving.

In absolutely no way is TJ a team leader. He's good for a lot of things, I want him back but he is not a leader.

cc360
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
As a Seahawks fan I hope he signs with anyone except Seattle. That would be ideal.

DHVF
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Did what, trade for a backup? Yeah, they did do that.

Then why are we here giving our thoughts and opinions on anything NFL related? :rolleyes:

Quit being naive. I was talking in context to the organization not the general discussion going on here.

TitleTown088
02-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Big names give fans boners. Even if it is millions of dollars for a 31 year old.

vikes_28
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM

Your just upset that the Vikings are even thinking about signing him. Cause you know he's going to kick the Bears asses when he gets signed.

senormysterioso
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
as a packers fan, I would love for the vikings to sign another free agent wide receiver that won't solve any of their problems to a huge deal. berrian, rice, and houshmanzadeh don't scare me whatsoever. Especially with Rosenfels, Jackson, Booty or whoever the Vikings are going to start this year. I would have an extra guy in the box the whole game.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Vikings fans- I'm a scared Seahawks fan who wants Crabtree (not Housh). Will you guys show him the $???

PLEASE sign him!

djp
02-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't want Housh. We will have enough cap issues as it is. We need to conserve money this offseason.

We put our eggs in the Bernard Berrian #1 receiver basket, we can't spend upwards of $10M on a receiver right now. We have bigger needs.

Although it would be nice to have him and use the "Championship" line although I'm sure it would be killed within a week.

This is just like the idiots who called into KFAN begging for the Vikings to sign Asomugha.

I wouldn't even doubt if we went after Housh, though. Zygi always wants to make a splash. Although I think he will be a little less aggressive now that it looks like he's not going to get a new stadium here for awhile.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't want Housh. We will have enough cap issues as it is. We need to conserve money this offseason.

We put our eggs in the Bernard Berrian #1 receiver basket, we can't spend upwards of $10M on a receiver right now. We have bigger needs.

Although it would be nice to have him and use the "Championship" line although I'm sure it would be killed within a week.

This is just like the idiots who called into KFAN begging for the Vikings to sign Asomugha.

I wouldn't even doubt if we went after Housh, though. Zygi always wants to make a splash. Although I think he will be a little less aggressive now that it looks like he's not going to get a new stadium here for awhile.

???

You ARE going after him. He's heading to Minny for a visit today.

The question is- will he accept your offer?

djp
02-28-2009, 02:04 PM
???

You ARE going after him. He's heading to Minny for a visit today.

The question is- will he accept your offer?

Oh. Didn't even know that. Just got home and saw the last posts of this page.

MooshooGawd
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
The market for TJ is obviously not what he expected it to be. His agent has been talking to the Bengals all day, so it looks like he'll end up back in Cincy.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 02:25 PM
The market for TJ is obviously not what he expected it to be. His agent has been talking to the Bengals all day, so it looks like he'll end up back in Cincy.

Yup. I think he'll end up back in Cincy as well.

T.J. Housmandzadeh expects to decide his next team by Sunday night.
Houshmandzadeh confirmed that he's been in regular contact with the Bengals. After visiting Minnesota Saturday, Housh will presumable decide between the Bengals, Seahawks, and Vikings. We suspect Cincy has the best offer on the table and is the favorite for his services.

ThePudge
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM

I've lived in Philadelphia for 18 years, away from home for one. I went to high school downtown in Center City and I know, like any city, there are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. I would not suggest rolling around North Philadelphia in a nice convertible at night with the top down and doors unlocked. I also would not suggest doing that in New York's worse areas, Cleveland's, Detroit's, Chicago's, or really any American city. I think it's a bit immature and undeserved to bash Philadelphia based on "several months" that you may have worked there at some time.

The city has been doing a lot to clean up the streets and clean up it's reputation. It is recognized as a fairly clean city in a transition mode. The weather is typical of the region with hot summers and fairly cold winters, nothing dramatic either way. You directly bash the people from Philly and expect not to strike a nerve anywhere.

How well do you know people from Philadelphia is my question? Certainly not better than the people on this message board than live in the area or are from the area (which is my case.) People claim that residents of Philly or fans of the sports teams are assholes. Sure, if you wear a Devils jersey to a Flyers game, expect to catch some heat. If you wear a Mets cap/jersey into a Phillies game, expect to hear about it. And if you have the nerve and balls to wear a Dallas jersey into Lincoln Financial Field, feel lucky if you're walking out with both legs intact. Philly has passionate fans and we don't take well to visitors. It is an intimidation factor, a home-field advantage on the field and in the stands.

The fans have been bashed by many, seen as not overly loyal, and willing to turn on their star players at the drop of a hat. That is a misconception I'd like to clear up now...

Flyers fans, Phillies fans, Eagles fans, and Sixers fans all expect to win. The organizations have all kinds of money and receive all kinds of support, so what Philadelphia fans want to see is for those teams to use that money, use that potential, and turn it in to W's on the field, court, and ice. They have booed their teams for that reason, they have called for coaching changes, they have called for activity in Free Agency.

Allen Iverson, a star that some Philadelphians loved, some hated. Did they hate him because he wasn't good enough? Because he wasn't winning games? No, even dirty, ignorant Philadelphians can tell a classless human being from a classy individual.

Eric Lindros, another that many loved, many disliked. They disliked Lindros for the obvious reason that he could not stay on the ice and helped lead the talented Flyers of the mid-late 90's into Playoff disappointment.

Terrell Owens was a guy that was loved in Philly, until he screwed it all up. He was a monster on the field, and fans loved to love T.O. But the man did his best to tear the team to the ground and betrayed the city, his teammates, and the fans in Philly by stirring up trouble then leaving for Dallas. Any time a player leaves Philly for Dallas, expect fans to wish death upon him. This happens everywhere though, see Johnny Damon's Boston fanbase.

And now, Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. The Philadelphia fans are tired of inconsistency and injuries affecting their chances at a Super Bowl run, which is why McNabb is largely on the outs with fans in the city. For this decade, the Eagles have consistently been one of the most talented, well-built teams in the NFC, but have had to endure inconsistency by Donovan in the playoffs and his injuires ruining promising seasons. Andy Reid, a guy I like, is disliked for similar reasons. He can get his team to the NFC Championship (5 out of the past 8), but cannot seal the deal. He also is frowned down upon because he cannot control or handle his own family and has let himself be made a mockery out of.

See Brian Dawkins, a star by all means for the better part of the decade. Was Dawkins ever booed? Even after Brian leaves the city and goes to play for Denver, you can count on Philadelphia fans to support him and cheer for him. Why? Because he was a classy individual off the field and a savage on the field. He played with the desire to win that Philadelphia fans share. But off the field, the man was a humble, quiet, man who gave back to the community. Ask Dawkins if he thinks the fans in Philadelphia are classless, and I'm sure I'll know the answer. Expect a standing ovation for Dawkins when he visits Philadelphia next fall or early winter. Maybe you'll understand what the fans are all about.

So before you dog the city of Philadelphia, or Philadelphia fans, think of what they are thinking. I have never seen jubilation like I have after the Phillies won the World Series. The Parade stuck out as a significant moment. Broad Street was absolutely packed that day, schools canceled, drunk people, sober kids, parents, the elderly, all celebrating their team's Championship together. That parade essentially is what the "City of Brotherly Love" stands for. That is the "brotherly love" exerted from Philadelphia. As someone who simply worked there for several months, I wouldn't expect you to understand the city or to understand the people.

--- As for T.J., it has been widely reported that he wanted to be an Eagles first and foremost. He mentioned the Eagles before he hit the market, he sent text messages to local radio stations expressing how he'd like to play in Philly, he got on ESPN and said he'd like to play for Philadelphia. Maybe Philly doesn't offer the views, cultural melting pot, and natural beauty of Seattle, but it does offer something Seattle won't for another five years or so. The chance to win a championship. That factor, the chance to win right away, is surprising, important to NFL free agents in many cases.

Philadelphia is not interested in Housh, but he is plenty interested in them. If you think he'd rather play for the Seahawks than Eagles right now, you are crazy. He wanted to be an Eagle, they just didn't want to pay him $10 million a year, which they are right not to do.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Been hearing he might head to New York.

Hope he comes back, he's huge for our offense. No one else can/will go over the middle like he does, he's huge for 3rd downs.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Your just upset that the Vikings are even thinking about signing him. Cause you know he's going to kick the Bears asses when he gets signed.
If you knew anything about me you'd realize what a completely dumbass statement that is.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Giving Housh a multi-year contract for 10 million per is an act of complete desperation. I don't consider the Vikings void at WR one they desperately need to fill (as opposed to last year when they clearly needed something), nor the move they need to make to be a Superbowl contendor. Only under either of those conditions is this move even remotely logical, and even then it's still a bad move.

Geo
02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not a big believer in Sidney Rice. Kid's okay and he'll be going into his third year, he can put it together and it helps he has his best QB yet in Rosenfels, but I can't say I have much faith.

I'm not a big believer in any (former) South Carolina player, really. That's not a talent pool that I have any trust in.

DHVF
02-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Giving Housh a multi-year contract for 10 million per is an act of complete desperation. I don't consider the Vikings void at WR one they desperately need to fill (as opposed to last year when they clearly needed something), nor the move they need to make to be a Superbowl contendor. Only under either of those conditions is this move even remotely logical, and even then it's still a bad move.

Who's to say though that it wouldn't be a move to push us over the top? We are already a playoff caliber type team and the NFC doesn't really have any clear cut dominant team. Housh would provide our offense with the kind of consistent receiving threat that we sorely lack (evidenced by us having to start Bobby Wade). Now I agree that paying him 10 million per would be idiotic, but from all indications the teams interested in Housh feel the same way about that figure. A more reasonable figure such as 8 mil though is something that I would definitely bite at if I was Speilman.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Who's to say though that it wouldn't be a move to push us over the top? We are already a playoff caliber type team and the NFC doesn't really have any clear cut dominant team. Housh would provide our offense with the kind of consistent receiving threat that we sorely lack (evidenced by us having to start Bobby Wade). Now I agree that paying him 10 million per would be idiotic, but from all indications the teams interested in Housh feel the same way about that figure. A more reasonable figure such as 8 mil though is something that I would definitely bite at if I was Speilman.
This is going to sound like a cheapshot, but it's not.

The Vikings' got their asses handed to them by a team that had no chance of winning the Superbowl. In the hierarchy of NFL teams, Housh is not even close to being valuable enough to put the Vikings where they need to be to be a legit Superbowl contender. He would make them more competitive for sure, but this is still a team with an awful pass defense, terrible special teams, and a serious case of turn-the-ball-over-itis, not to mention Sage Rosenfels as the QB.

Again, I'm not against any move that makes a team better, I'm against overpaying for a player unless you absolutely have to, or if it's a move that will put a team in serious contention for a Superbowl. Had the Vikings overbid for a QB? No problem at all. But Housh? Stupid mistake. It just shows a complete lack of organizational philosophy.

The_Dude
02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I am in agreement.

I don't think that TJ would put us over the top (especially with Rosenfels as the QB) and we would have to pay too much money for him.

No thanks.

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I think we can all agree JDB to Housh would be a beautiful thing.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 04:13 PM
This is going to sound like a cheapshot, but it's not.

The Vikings' got their asses handed to them by a team that had no chance of winning the Superbowl. In the hierarchy of NFL teams, Housh is not even close to being valuable enough to put the Vikings where they need to be to be a legit Superbowl contender. He would make them more competitive for sure, but this is still a team with an awful pass defense, terrible special teams, and a serious case of turn-the-ball-over-itis, not to mention Sage Rosenfels as the QB.

Again, I'm not against any move that makes a team better, I'm against overpaying for a player unless you absolutely have to, or if it's a move that will put a team in serious contention for a Superbowl. Had the Vikings overbid for a QB? No problem at all. But Housh? Stupid mistake. It just shows a complete lack of organizational philosophy.

But what else are they going to do with their money? Sign Jeff Garcia and Shawn Springs?

I agree Housh isn't worth $10 mil a year but if that's the only significant move they can make from here then why not go for it?

In retrospect the Cardinals severely overpaid for Edgerrin James but that didn't stop them from almost winning it all. We just don't know what Housh would do to this team. If it does end up turning into a Super Bowl berth, or even a longer playoff run, maybe overpaying will have been worth it.

And I disagree that Philly had "no chance" at winning the Super Bowl.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I agree Housh isn't worth $10 mil a year but if that's the only significant move they can make from here then why not go for it?
Because making bad decisions is bad?

In retrospect the Cardinals severely overpaid for Edgerrin James but that didn't stop them from almost winning it all.
It didn't help them either. Save that money, give Anquan Boldin an extension, re-sign Kurt Warner, there are a lot more logical things to do then just spending money becuase you have it, which, by the way, the Vikings apparently don't considering how much they've been bitching for a new stadium in this terrible economy.
And I disagree that Philly had "no chance" at winning the Super Bowl.
3%?

gpngc
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM

It didn't help them either. Save that money, give Anquan Boldin an extension, re-sign Kurt Warner, there are a lot more logical things to do then just spending money becuase you have it, which, by the way, the Vikings apparently don't considering how much they've been bitching for a new stadium in this terrible economy.

3%?

What are the more logical things for Minny? That's my question. McAllister and Springs?

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
If Wilf wants to spend some money and pick up a very good receiver I am all for it. 10 mill seems like a bit much to me but at worst Housh underperforms and it released in a couple years. At best he gives the Vikings a very good receiving corps. I have already come to terms with the fact that under Childress there will be no big name QB coming. If the Vikings sign Housh and then use their first two picks on T and CB and both picks pan out the team we be in a very good position to make a run. I am just hoping one of TJack, Sugar Sage, or JDB turns out to be a good starter this year which I know is a huge if. At this point with the team being under the cap by a fair bit I really don't think signing a guy for 8-10 mill a year is going to cripple the team. At this point I am kind of indifferent on the whole thing. If the Vikings sign TJ I will be happy and if they don't I will be fine with it. In my mind this is a signing that can't hurt.

TitleTown088
02-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Quick trivia. Who was the last QB Speilman traded for?

El Peefs?????
02-28-2009, 04:24 PM
3%?

Before the playoffs just about everyone would have gave them more of a chance of winning it than the Cardinals. And Arizona was a couple minutes away from doing it.

No one gave the Giants a chance to even get there last year, much less knock off the juggernaut. If you make the playoffs, you have a chance of getting hot (or other teams getting cold (ala the panthers this year)) and getting to/winning a super bowl.

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM

3%?

I don't think 10 mill is going to be the difference between getting a stadium or not. I actually think that the TJ signing would help a bit with the whole stadium ordeal if it pans out. If Wilf wants to spend the money again on a big name FA I am not going to ***** about it because it is not me spending money for the sake of spending (which I really don't think the TJ signing would be if it happens.) I am not saying TJ would puch the team over the edge but he would certainly make the Vikings better.

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Quick trivia. Who was the last QB Speilman traded for?

I would guess Brooks Bollinger.

TitleTown088
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't think 10 mill is going to be the difference between getting a stadium or not. I actually think that the TJ signing would help a bit with the whole stadium ordeal if it pans out. If Wilf wants to spend the money again on a big name FA I am not going to ***** about it because it is not me spending money for the sake of spending (which I really don't think the TJ signing would be if it happens.) I am not saying TJ would puch the team over the edge but he would certainly make the Vikings better.
whosyourmoma is going to get more than 10 mil for a contract...Reguardless for the situation I think every penny counts toward a new stadium.

TitleTown088
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
I would guess Brooks Bollinger. Nope.

A.J Fe...

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
whosyourmoma is going to get more than 10 mil for a contract...Reguardless for the situation I think every penny counts toward a new stadium.

You think he gets more than 10 mill per year? Really the only thing in the contract that will matter is going to be the guaranteed money but I have not heard yet what he is being offered so I have no idea what that amount of money would be.

As far as the stadium goes I know every penny counts towards a new stadium but winning also counts and a guy like Housh would help. I really don't think that signing TJ would be the difference between getting a new stadium or not but I guess time will have to tell on that one.

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Nope.

A.J Fe...

Nothing much anyone can do about the Sage trade now. I am fine with what Vikings gave up and I am really hoping he can come in and play well. No doubt Housh would help.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
What are the more logical things for Minny? That's my question. McAllister and Springs?
You don't think there are other deals to be made that are more economically prudent? 10 million a year for a 31 year old #2 wide receiver is the best way they could spend that money?

As people are finding out in this economy, money is in fact finite. Spending it on one player one year is going to adversely effect the Vikings' ability to do so in future years, or in rewarding their own. This would be a smart time to sit it out. Again, just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it every time you get the chance.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
You don't think there are other deals to be made that are more economically prudent? 10 million a year for a 31 year old #2 wide receiver is the best way they could spend that money?

As people are finding out in this economy, money is in fact finite. Spending it on one player one year is going to adversely effect the Vikings' ability to do so in future years, or in rewarding their own. This would be a smart time to sit it out. Again, just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it every time you get the chance.

I understand. But this is a division winner with a good core, especially along the lines.

In order to take the next step you do spend money- that's what every team in the league is trying to do right now- improve.

So, if not Housh (who will command a contract more than what he is worth), what does this team (who feels they are so close) do?

Save their money? After winning the division you just can't do that...

Bucs_Rule
02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
If Housh had gotten 10 million a year he would have signed already. IF players don't sign asap their not getting what they had hoped.

I don't know if their is a WR that makes more than 10 million. Fitz makes 10. Moss signed for 9 a year last year. A couple of crappy WRs signed big deals last year for near 9 million. Teams will be more hesitant after seeing those 2 big signing being complete busts and won't want to give out elite WR money for none elite WRs. Housh is definitly better than those 2, but not nearly as good as Moss/Fitz.

DJC
02-28-2009, 06:29 PM
He's visiting the Bucs tommorow.

Bryant/Housh/KII doesn't sound too bad. Now we just need Stafford to drop to our 1st.

Splat
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
WR Houshmandzadeh visiting Vikings (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-houshmandzadeh&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Sorry if all ready posted have not posted or looked in this thread much.

The Dynasty
02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
They said on NFLN Total Access that the Vikings are going do everything they can to keep him in the building and have him sign tonight but it all depends on the amount.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 06:34 PM
He's visiting the Bucs tommorow.

Bryant/Housh/KII doesn't sound too bad. Now we just need Stafford to drop to our 1st.

YES! Great news. Unlikely he returns to the Seattle offer. My guess is still Cincy but good luck if you want him in MIN or TB!

The_Dude
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I understand. But this is a division winner with a good core, especially along the lines.

In order to take the next step you do spend money- that's what every team in the league is trying to do right now- improve.

So, if not Housh (who will command a contract more than what he is worth), what does this team (who feels they are so close) do?

Save their money? After winning the division you just can't do that...

Resign Matt Birk for one & throw money at a greater need ~ RT (Taucher?) or CB.

I'll say this over and over ~ "TOO MUCH MONEY FOR TJ" ~ not for what we may get in return.

The Vikings need to think about more than just this year...

Caddy
02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't be dissapointed with TJ in Tampa Bay, as long as we don't over pay him. If his asking price is too high I'd rather just let him walk.

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 07:01 PM
T.J. said he didn't want to go into Sunday without being on a team. Does this make him a Viking?

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 07:21 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090228/SPT02/302280031

In a text message to The Enquirer, the Bengals' free agent wide receiver said he expects to make a decision "Sunday evening" about whether to remain in Cincinnati or go to a new team

Right now... And I can't believe I'm saying this... I think the Bengals lead. There's potential he visits the Giants but it doesn't sound like a likely destination.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Houshmandzadeh plans more visits
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal : Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:22 PM
T.J. Houshmandzadeh is spending Saturday night visiting the Vikings, but he plans to keep his free agent tour rolling Saturday.

Adam Schefter reported on NFL Network's Total Access that Housh plans to visit the Bucs on Sunday. ESPN's Michael Smith, in a report scrolling on ESPN's bottom line, says that Houshmandzadeh will also visit the Bucs and Eagles.

Philly's involvement would be quite surprising considering previous developments from Houshmandzadeh's wild weekend.

Whether the possession receiver takes those trips remains to be seen. Schefter's NFL Network colleague Steve Wyche reported that the Vikings planned to do everything possible to close a deal before Housh left town. Houshmandzadeh previously said he would make a decision by Sunday night.

If that is still the case, Houshmandzadeh may be the only person to have a more hectic weekend than Florio.

BlindSite
02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I doubt it, Vikings isn't a bad option, but why would a receiver want to go there without knowing who the QB is going to be.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I doubt it, Vikings isn't a bad option, but why would a receiver want to go there without knowing who the QB is going to be.

All Housh seems to care about is Adrian Peterson being there. He's said multiple times that he'd love to play in Minnesota with AD.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I've pretty much settled on the fact that the eagles aren't interested, but if he's visiting, I guess it's still possible.

The_Dude
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Uhhh, you may be the only person on the planet who doesn't know that Rosenfels (barring injury) will be the starting QB in Minny in 2009.

ThePudge
02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
I've pretty much settled on the fact that the eagles aren't interested, but if he's visiting, I guess it's still possible.

T.J. probably set up the visit himself, he may have caught the team by surprise here. The Eagles had apparently made it clear they are not willing to give him what he wants, which is right around 10 million a year. Hopefully he can strike up a deal somewhere, I want another 3rd Round Comp. pick (he and Andrews)

P.S.: Old School just came on TBS, great movie

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
T.J. probably set up the visit himself, he may have caught the team by surprise here. The Eagles had apparently made it clear they are not willing to give him what he wants, which is right around 10 million a year. Hopefully he can strike up a deal somewhere, I want another 3rd Round Comp. pick (he and Andrews)

P.S.: Old School just came on TBS, great movie

Thank you for the Old School mention lol.

I hope TJ stays but at the right price, knowing our FO it's the right price or let him go. Not because they're smart, just cheap.

BlindSite
02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Uhhh, you may be the only person on the planet who doesn't know that Rosenfels (barring injury) will be the starting QB in Minny in 2009.
Rosenfels isn't that big of an upgrade over TJ and declaring a winner before he's even laced his boots is pretty stupid.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I thought about the poor QB situation but he still did pretty decent with Fitzpatrick, given his style of play it's not the biggest deal for how good his QB is.... At least when compared to other WR's. Obviously I'm sure he prefers a good QB but he's going for the money now.

Splat
02-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Uhhh so...

ThePudge
02-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the Old School mention lol.

I hope TJ stays but at the right price, knowing our FO it's the right price or let him go. Not because they're smart, just cheap.

I share the same opinion. Still, I think T.J. is worth 6 million, not even close to the 10 million he is asking for, nor is he worth the 7.5 mil he has turned down. He has 3-4 good years left in him. He is reliable, he would be a great teacher for Andre Caldwell. However, it's not like the guy is a positive influence in the locker room and his ego simply annoys me.

After the first week T.J. was the one that said "We can't run. We can't pass. We can't play defense. We suck." That pissed me off. You are a veteran receiver, lead by example on and off the field. So if T.J. goes, oh well, so be it.

DHVF
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM

And you realize that all reports have said that the Vikings quarterback position will be an open competition and that Rosenfels isn't that great. In reality there's a lot of people who don't know that Sage is gonna be the starter.

The_Dude
02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Rosenfels isn't that big of an upgrade over TJ and declaring a winner before he's even laced his boots is pretty stupid.

Why do you think that the Chilly-Dogg brought him in?

I guarantee that Sage will be the starter (again, barring injury)

This is NOT an open competition, regardless of what the Little General says. He may be an idiot, but he's an idiot that is trying to save his job.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
The Tampa Tribune denies two national reports that T.J. Houshmandzadeh will visit the Bucs Sunday.
More misinformation from Housh's camp? Both the NFL Network and ESPN reported earlier Saturday night Housh planned to visit Tampa Sunday. ESPN went a step further and said he planned to visit Philly, which would be a big surprise. Houshmandzadeh is in Minnesota currently. Perhaps Housh's agent is just trying to drum up his client's price and become a Viking tonight.
Source: Tampa Tribune

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Not sure who his agent is but sounds like they're playing too many games for their own good.

vikes_28
03-01-2009, 01:06 AM
I still think he becomes a Viking.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
The latest from the versatile reporter/DT of Internetti Bengals...

Ok, I posted some info on TJ that has pissed some folks off from Cincinnati to Minneapolis. I’m even getting emails from people asking “who the hell am I, where am I getting my info?” I find it pretty funny. There are many reports out there right now. Some say TJ is in Minny touring the facility this morning(which he is), some say he is heading west(which he will be later today). We will see very soon. Let me clarify my earlier report. If Minny lets TJ leave, it’s a done deal. This is very similar to the Bart Scott situation where the Jets had him close to a deal, and then reports surfaced that he gave the Ravens one last shot to get him. Like I said in my “West won out” post, anything can happen before that pen hits the contract. So don’t be mad at me for reporting what I hear. People, remember, this is the Internet, land of rumors and false statements. Maybe the Vikings will catch wind of this story and lock their doors and not let TJ leave without getting a deal done? Who knows. But if you hear reports that TJ has left the building, know his free agent tour is heading to its final stop.

I really don't know what to make of this. What is his motivation for doing all of this? Maybe he is trying to help out T.J. and drive up the price? Yikes. This is just weird.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 02:10 PM
John Clayton on ESPN news confirms that Housh is considering offers from SEA, MIN, and CIN, and Seattle has a "good" lead.

FML.

Chucky
03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I wonder why the Bucs are not making a run at Housh. Him, Bryant and Winslow would make a nice trio of pass catchers and allow us to use our first rounder on something other than WR.

Geo
03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Considering they just locked up Michael Clayton and will probably do the same with Winslow eventually, I would think the Bucs would sign either Bryant or Housh long-term. Not both.

Given that they already know what they have in Bryant and that he's three-and-a-half years younger than Housh, he's probably their bigger priority.

Go_Eagles77
03-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd prefer Hakeem Nicks anyway. lol

gpngc
03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
The Vikings are reportedly intent on not letting free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh leave their Winter Park facility unsigned.
Minnesota is expected to only propose a short-term deal, however, due to concerns about Houshmandzadeh's age. The Vikes also already have $49M tied up in Bernard Berrian. Still, with Housh planning to sign somewhere by Sunday evening, this union may be imminent. We're guessing he'd get a three-year deal worth $8-9 million annually and $10 million guaranteed. Mar. 1 - 3:58 pm et
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

The Dynasty
03-01-2009, 03:47 PM
The Vikings are reportedly intent on not letting free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh leave their Winter Park facility unsigned.
Minnesota is expected to only propose a short-term deal, however, due to concerns about Houshmandzadeh's age. The Vikes also already have $49M tied up in Bernard Berrian. Still, with Housh planning to sign somewhere by Sunday evening, this union may be imminent. We're guessing he'd get a three-year deal worth $8-9 million annually and $10 million guaranteed. Mar. 1 - 3:58 pm et

I read this earlier and I would be satisfied with 3 years 26 million or something around those numbers. Just wishing this deal would get done.

russie
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Houshmandzadeh remains in town
March 1st, 2009 – 4:31 PM by Judd Zulgad
Won’t get into too many specifics for security purposes, but free-agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is definitely going to remain in town for now. He and Vikings executives were just dropped off by the limo of which we have written so frequently today. What we don’t know is if negotiations are completed and Houshmandzadeh has agreed to terms or if talks are going to continue with the Vikings. Houshmandzadeh ended up spending about five-and-a-half hours at Winter Park today. Stay tuned and we’ll stay on it.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Houshmandzadeh remains in town
March 1st, 2009 – 4:31 PM by Judd Zulgad
Won’t get into too many specifics for security purposes, but free-agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is definitely going to remain in town for now. He and Vikings executives were just dropped off by the limo of which we have written so frequently today. What we don’t know is if negotiations are completed and Houshmandzadeh has agreed to terms or if talks are going to continue with the Vikings. Houshmandzadeh ended up spending about five-and-a-half hours at Winter Park today. Stay tuned and we’ll stay on it.

Do it boys do it! Take him on a love cruise if you have to!

ThePudge
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Apparently he's either a Viking tonight or by tomorrow morning, or he comes back to the Bengals. For the right price, I'd like T.J. back, but I'd really rather the team focus on re-signing Cedric Benson and perhaps make a run at a veteran offensive lineman. Khalif Barnes would make a solid Right Tackle and would allow us to focus elsewhere at #6 as we'd keep Anthony Collins at Left Tackle, which is all fine by me. I hope Mike Brown also gets his ass in gear and brings in Matt Birk, signing him to a small year. Also would give our line stability and some flexibility in the draft.

P.S. : Once again, Old School just started on TBS. hahaha

gpngc
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh reportedly may not decide to sign with a team until Monday morning now.
Housh had targeted Sunday night to sign, but Minnesota is putting on the full court press. It may be a two-horse race now with the Bengals also involved.
Source: bengals.com

What? So the former "leader" Seattle is now out of it?

BlindSite
03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I wonder why the Bucs are not making a run at Housh. Him, Bryant and Winslow would make a nice trio of pass catchers and allow us to use our first rounder on something other than WR.

The team has other, pretty big needs other than another pass catcher. With the clayton signing, Bryant, the trade for winslow and the draft last year you've got some decent options. Now you need someone to throw to them.

What? So the former "leader" Seattle is now out of it?

Sounds that way. Hell, anything can happen I remember a few years ago when the Panthers signed Keyshawn Johnson there were news reports saying he wasn't even going to fly to Carolina after visiting with one of the west teams and the next morning I checked the news and saw a big photo of him holding a black and blue jersey.

As far as I care, no team has a "lead" no player has shown "interest" until there's a signature on the bottom line and its announced by the team.

Geo
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I just don't see Seattle ending up with Houshmandzadeh. They might have a respectable offer on the table, but nothing to win the sweepstakes. Or at least that's my suspicion, I don't think they're as big on him as some outside think they would be.

BlindSite
03-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think Housh would be that big on them over Minnesota who get a lot of exposure.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I just don't see Seattle ending up with Houshmandzadeh. They might have a respectable offer on the table, but nothing to win the sweepstakes. Or at least that's my suspicion, I don't think they're as big on him as some outside think they would be.

I hope you're right. But John Clayton said Seattle was in the "lead" earlier today and there were reports that he was "enamored" with Seattle (He's a WC guy too).

At this point it seems like Housh is close to signing with the Vikings- he seems pretty impressionable LOL. I would laugh if after all this he went back to Cincy.

Geo
03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd put stock in what Clayton is saying, he's good with info on Seattle since being a beat reporter there years ago. So maybe I underestimate Seattle's interest.

Still, perhaps another team is willing to pay more.

Bengalsrocket
03-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I hope you're right. But John Clayton said Seattle was in the "lead" earlier today and there were reports that he was "enamored" with Seattle (He's a WC guy too).

At this point it seems like Housh is close to signing with the Vikings- he seems pretty impressionable LOL. I would laugh if after all this he went back to Cincy.

Even so, what's housh suppose to say - he met with Seattle before Minnesota. If he says he hates Seattle then he puts all his eggs in one basket hoping Minnesota gives him the deal he wants.

I imaging most guys think they should act enamored with all cities unless they know for sure they definitely don't want to sign there.

The Dynasty
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Housh on hold

T.J. Houshmandzadeh will remain a free agent until at least Monday.

"No decision tonight," agent Kennard McGuire said in a brief email.

All indications are, however, that the Vikings impressed him. Houshmandzadeh was impressed by the team's personnel, professionalism and -- most importantly -- potential.

But word is, he wanted to spend the evening speaking to his wife, Kaci, and sleeping before making such a big decision.

It likely will come down to the Vikings and Cincinnati Bengals.

Don't be surprised by a big press conference Monday at Winter Park, though.

That is from http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/ by Sean Jensen.

So looks like it wont be done tonight like previously said but hopefully it will be done tomorrow and and what i hope he will be in purple.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
That is from http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/ by Sean Jensen.

So looks like it wont be done tonight like previously said but hopefully it will be done tomorrow and and what i hope he will be in purple.

Honestly I think this helps Seattle and Cincy.

If he was going to sign with Minny he probably would've done it today.

And if his wife is a West Coaster...

The Dynasty
03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Honestly I think this helps Seattle and Cincy.

If he was going to sign with Minny he probably would've done it today.

And if his wife is a West Coaster...

Yes but it also helps the vikings that he has been there all day today and was there last night.

PACKmanN
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Cinn has offer TJ a contract that is greater then Plax's contract.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
**** Hoosh. We don't need that greasy attention *****.

DHVF
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
**** Hoosh. We don't need that greasy attention *****.

Easy there slick. Upon awakening tomorrow open your arms and receive housh.

cc360
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
As a Seahawks fan I'm still praying he signs with anyone except Seattle.

Xonraider
03-01-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm praying he does and Crab drops to the Raiders!

gpngc
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM

I'm with you CC. I've never been rooting this hard against the Hawks before!

Here is the latest:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090301/SPT02/303010040/1066 (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090301/SPT02/ 303010040/1066)

Apparently the Seahawks have offered the most $. The fact that he's deciding tomorrow and not directly on the heels of his Minny visit bodes well for the Hawks chance at adding him. Hopefully he'll just go back to Cincy...

But I have a BAD feeling about this. If I had to guess now I'd guess he'll sign with Seattle. Closer to home, more $, wife from the west coast... ugh.

When Crabtree is an all-pro for the Raiders we will all remember this day.

FML

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Houshmandzadeh is weighing offers from three teams – the Bengals, Vikings and Seahawks. After a meeting at Vikings’ headquarters that lasted over five hours, he is in Minneapolis overnight.

The Bengals have been in discussions with McGuire and have an offer on the table higher than the deals of Plaxico Burress (five years, $35 million with $11 million guaranteed) and Hines Ward (five years, $33 million).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090301/SPT02/303010040/

We'll see I guess.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 11:45 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090301/SPT02/303010040/

We'll see I guess.

Thing is, both the Seahawks and Vikings deals are 3 year deals.

Hawks is probably something like 3 years $25 mil with almost as much guaranteed as the Bengals.

Ugh. I'm going to wake up at 1 pm ET tomorrow. If he's a Seahawk I'm going to be upset.:mad:

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
To be honest, it's not all that suspenseful for me. TJ is a key cog in our offense, no doubting it. They guy also brings it on Sunday's, not the least bit afraid to take a hit. His emotion on the field and some of his antics can be a bit much at times, not to mention his age. Granted, he's a WR so it's a given he won't be a saint. In the end, it's surely for the best that we re-sign him.

gpngc
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
To be honest, it's not all that suspenseful for me. TJ is a key cog in our offense, no doubting it. They guy also brings it on Sunday's, not the least bit afraid to take a hit. His emotion on the field and some of his antics can be a bit much at times, not to mention his age. Granted, he's a WR so it's a given he won't be a saint. In the end, it's surely for the best that we re-sign him.

Difference for me is that our chances of drafting Crabtree go from about 80% to 20% if he chooses Seattle.

And we all know I want Crabs.

TitleTown088
03-02-2009, 12:03 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Cicero
03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Difference for me is that our chances of drafting Crabtree go from about 80% to 20% if he chooses Seattle.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got both. :cool:

vikes_28
03-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I haven't heard anything recently...

thenewfeature06
03-02-2009, 08:38 AM
just now on espn all it said was he is decideing between the vikes,seahawks,or bengals so we will most likley see at the end of the day

The Dynasty
03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
just now on espn all it said was he is decideing between the vikes,seahawks,or bengals so we will most likley see at the end of the day

Yeah, He spent the night in the Twin Cities with his wife and He was going to make a decision today on which team. Michael Smith speculates he will go to Seattle but its all guessing until he comes out and says where.

M.O.T.H.
03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Dammit wrong thread.

vikes_28
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, He spent the night in the Twin Cities with his wife and He was going to make a decision today on which team. Michael Smith speculates he will go to Seattle but its all guessing until he comes out and says where.

No :( :confused:

M.O.T.H.
03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Apparently he actually flew back to L.A. last night.

Updating a previous item, T.J. Houshmandzadeh left Minnesota last night and flew home to Los Angeles.

There goes the Vikes' momentum. Letting Housh get out of town without a contract likely means they are no longer the front-runner to get him signed. The Bengals, Vikes, and Seahawks are the three teams in the derby right now.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 10:41 AM

Good. I don't want his ass anymore.

cacksman
03-02-2009, 10:42 AM

That couldnt be more false. Why would signing a 32 year old WR influence us drafting Crabtree?

Answer: It wouldnt.

BaLLiN
03-02-2009, 10:45 AM

sounds like seattle?

tjsunstein
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Housh to Seattle is my guess.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Please sign him Seahawks so that Crabtree can go to a team with a future...

cacksman
03-02-2009, 10:49 AM

I know, Housh and Crabtree would be money!

gpngc
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
That couldnt be more false. Why would signing a 32 year old WR influence us drafting Crabtree?

Answer: It wouldnt.

I just don't see Ruskell shelling out $80 mil on WRs in one offseason. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he does it. On paper it's a nice move but financially that's a lot of bread to invest in one position (remember- Branch and Nate don't have cheap contracts either). Crab would command a HUGE rookie deal at #4.

Anyway, I think the writing is on the wall. IF he was going to sign with Minny, he probably wouldn't have went west to L.A. It's looking like Seattle, but I'm still holding out hope he goes back to the Bengals.

I'd rather spend the money on Jermaine Phillips...

M.O.T.H.
03-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh admits he'll pick his team based mostly on money, not on situation.

The Vikings offer a better chance to win than Cincinnati, but Housh is turning 32 and this might be his last NFL contract. "Ray (Lewis) spoke for all of us when he said, 'If you don't play less, you don't take less,'" Houshmandzadeh said. "If I have to make a choice between the best team and the best money? I'm not stupid, man. I'll take the money."

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/03/tj_said_he_would_pick_best_off.html)

Babylon
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Seattle will win more games than Minnesota next year.

vikes_28
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Seattle will win more games than Minnesota next year.

That sir is an understatement

Notredameleo
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
At least hes honest about the money thing, but being completely honest, I wouldn't want him on my team. he is the biggest baby I have ever seen. Chad gets all of the negative stuff about being a baby and such, but TJ whines after every play to the refs and to his teammates.

FuzzyGopher
03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx
NY Daily News beat writer Ralph Vacchiano is hearing that the Seahawks "are the favorite" to sign free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Connecting the dots, this probably means Seattle's offering the most money. Housh entered free agency wanting a 4+ year deal averaging $10M annually.
Source: New York Daily News

Do it Seattle, overpay for him.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx
NY Daily News beat writer Ralph Vacchiano is hearing that the Seahawks "are the favorite" to sign free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Connecting the dots, this probably means Seattle's offering the most money. Housh entered free agency wanting a 4+ year deal averaging $10M annually.
Source: New York Daily News

Do it Seattle, overpay for him.

Bleh!

You are right. It has already been reported that Seattle is offering the most. Ugh. I hope we still take Crab.

rockio42
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Bleh!

You are right. It has already been reported that Seattle is offering the most. Ugh. I hope we still take Crab.

Fortunetly (for the Rams that is) you probably won't take Crab if you get Housh, mainly because the Seahawks have more needs and probably won't tie up that kind of money in on position

gpngc
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I WAS WRONG! Cincy was offering the most! Come on Bungles... get 'er done!

Houshmandzadeh leaves Minnesota without deal

March 2, 2009 11:49 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

Houshmandzadeh

At the very least, free agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh appears to be torn about his 2009 team.

Houshmandzadeh left Minneapolis late Sunday night, according to Judd Zulgad of the Star Tribune, and returned to his home in Los Angeles without an agreement in place. That development doesn't mean he won't ultimately sign with the Vikings, but he also wasn't ready to commit immediately, either. Cincinnati and Seattle are believed to be his other two suitors.

If Houshmandzadeh is basing his decision purely on playoff potential, you would think Minnesota would be his choice. But the Bengals reportedly have the best financial offer on the table, and both they and the Seahawks might have a more favorable situation at quarterback -- always a primary concern for free-agent receivers.

We'll keep you updated as the day continues.

themaninblack
03-02-2009, 12:19 PM
I am really quite surprised that they are offering him the biggest deal.

cacksman
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I just don't see Ruskell shelling out $80 mil on WRs in one offseason. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he does it. On paper it's a nice move but financially that's a lot of bread to invest in one position (remember- Branch and Nate don't have cheap contracts either). Crab would command a HUGE rookie deal at #4.

Anyway, I think the writing is on the wall. IF he was going to sign with Minny, he probably wouldn't have went west to L.A. It's looking like Seattle, but I'm still holding out hope he goes back to the Bengals.

I'd rather spend the money on Jermaine Phillips...

Housh is a very good player but would just be a bandaid. With the uncapped year looking like it will be here soon, money doesnt seem like it would matter as much as it has in the past. Bottom line, Housh would most likely not affect their draft decision.

D-Unit
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
This is going to be a bad signing. Housh is not #1 WR material.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks.:mad: :mad: :mad:

gpngc
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes! Benglas are in the lead now apparently.

An NFL front office executive tells the St. Paul Pioneer Press that the Bengals have "jumped ahead" of Minnesota in the bidding for T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
Meanwhile, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune is reporting that Houshmandzadeh is still expected to pick a team by Monday. Housh and the Vikes haggled in talks all day Sunday, but it seems as though Minnesota's offer came up short.
Related: Vikings

03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I am really quite surprised that they are offering him the biggest deal.

Makes little sense. Housh won't make the team any better and his departure would leave room for the young receivers they drafted last season (Caldwell, Simpson) to compete. That's disregarding the financial implications associated with overpaying for a #2 receiver ..

Mr.Regular
03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't really mind it if Minny got him, just wasting more money on something they don't really need IMO.

03-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't really mind it if Minny got him, just wasting more money on something they don't really need IMO.

I like Minny's situation a lot better than Cincy's. If Rosenfels ends up decent there, Housh would really compliment Berrian's game very well.

D-Unit
03-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Is he even better than Keyshawn Johnson? Housh is overrated because Palmer targets him a lot and Chad draws the tough assignment.

Babylon
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
That sir is an understatement

Just a predicition, we'll see. I still dont see your QB situation getting any better any time soon. Seattle will get better once they get Crabtree right.:)

cacksman
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Makes little sense. Housh won't make the team any better and his departure would leave room for the young receivers they drafted last season (Caldwell, Simpson) to compete. That's disregarding the financial implications associated with overpaying for a #2 receiver ..

If that were true, why is Cincy trying so very hard to re-sign him?

I'll hang up and listen.

djp
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Just a predicition, we'll see. I still dont see your QB situation getting any better any time soon. Seattle will get better once they get Crabtree right.:)

Yes, Michael Crabtree will cure what's ailing the Seahawks. You are right sir.

I'm not saying that the Vikings are all that good, but they are clearly, CLEARLY better than Seattle and to think a WR will solve Seattle's problems (and they have more than one, plural) is ridiculous and another reason why Crabtree is so ridiculously overhyped. Seattle has little to no nucleus on that team.

Good player, yes, hybrid of Jerry Rice and Larry Fitz, no.

djp
03-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Also, what makes Crabtree any different than Houshmanzadeh?

They are similar players, actually. Housh is much more refined than Crabtree and 10 years older. And by the sounds of it, people here aren't sold on Houshmanzadeh at all.

cacksman
03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, Michael Crabtree will cure what's ailing the Seahawks. You are right sir.

I'm not saying that the Vikings are all that good, but they are clearly, CLEARLY better than Seattle and to think a WR will solve Seattle's problems (and they have more than one, plural) is ridiculous and another reason why Crabtree is so ridiculously overhyped. Seattle has little to no nucleus on that team.

Good player, yes, hybrid of Jerry Rice and Larry Fitz, no.

Clearly, CLEARLY? I wasnt aware that a one and done playoff team was clearly better than the SEahawks. ANY team in the league would have looked like trash last year when most of their team was injured at one point or another. We were on our 7th and 8th string WRs by the 3rd game last year, Hasselbeck was hurt, our whole o-line got hurt throughout the season. MAny of our defenders were playing hurt. Like I said, ANY team in the league would have been horrible if they had those injuries. Minny is far from the better team.

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

TJ is massive for our offense. Chad runs the deep routes and little 10 yard sideline routes, Henry runs deep, who knows what Caldwell/Simpson can really do. They've wanted to run 5 WR sets but just haven't had the players to do it.

TJ goes over the middle fearlessly and every single play. Makes the tough catches and gets us first downs. Certainly Chad draws attention but TJ just hauls in 1st down conversions all day long.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm very happy with the way the Bengals are handling this whether we get him or not. There was a lot of controversy over re-signing him the first time and that worked out very well.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Clearly, CLEARLY? I wasnt aware that a one and done playoff team was clearly better than the SEahawks. ANY team in the league would have looked like trash last year when most of their team was injured at one point or another. We were on our 7th and 8th string WRs by the 3rd game last year, Hasselbeck was hurt, our whole o-line got hurt throughout the season. MAny of our defenders were playing hurt. Like I said, ANY team in the league would have been horrible if they had those injuries. Minny is far from the better team.

Blah blah blah I'm pretty sure Minnesota has the advantage over Seattle in most positions. Your offensive line and running back position is a ******* mess. Your D-line doesn't look too intimidating either.

cacksman
03-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Blah blah blah I'm pretty sure Minnesota has the advantage over Seattle in most positions. Your offensive line and running back position is a ******* mess. Your D-line doesn't look too intimidating either.

O-line is not a mess. Running backs werent good last year, but no runners would be when we are running out 8th and 9th string WRs.

Dline was much much better when Kerney wasnt hurt and in the lineup, but he was injured and our pass rush suffered last year. Linebackers is no contest.

But more importantly, QB is obviously the single most important position to look at for an incoming free agent WR. And Seattle obviously has a big edge in that position.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
O-line is not a mess. Running backs werent good last year, but no runners would be when we are running out 8th and 9th string WRs.

Dline was much much better when Kerney wasnt hurt and in the lineup, but he was injured and our pass rush suffered last year. Linebackers is no contest.

But more importantly, QB is obviously the single most important position to look at for an incoming free agent WR. And Seattle obviously has a big edge in that position.

Hasselbeck impresses me in commercials, that's about it. ****** is always injured too.

cacksman
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Housh to Seattle is imminent?

http://thevikingage.com/2009/03/02/houshmandzadeh-to-seahawks-looks-imminent/

thetedginnshow
03-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, this is good in a way for the Seahawks. Now they can draft what they really need in the first instead of going after Crabtree.

cacksman
03-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Well, this is good in a way for the Seahawks. Now they can draft what they really need in the first instead of going after Crabtree.

If we sign Housh, there will still be a need for a WR. Crabtree is by no means ruled out.

thetedginnshow
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
If we sign Housh, there will still be a need for a WR. Crabtree is by no means ruled out.

Well we'll wait to see if you sign Housh, and if that happens, we can have a little bet on who you take.

ThePudge
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM

gpngc would be upset to hear that. From the way he reveres Michael Crabtree, you'd think we were talking about Calvin Johnson. Houshmanzadeh would allow Seattle to draft with added flexibility. The team could still easily go after Crabtree at #4; however, they could target OT in the first with Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, DT with B.J. Raji (even with the addition of Colin Cole), or even QB in Mark Sanchez to help put the team's future in motion. Housh and Deion Branch isn't exactly a dynamic 1-2 combo, more of a 2-2 combo, but T.J. is a good player who could really find a way to succeed in Seattle's offense.

Get it done Seattle, I'm ready for the Bengals to take their attention off T.J. To me, adding Laverneus Coles for a much cheaper price, and giving Andre Caldwell another veteran mentor along with the chance to play a bit more, would out-weigh the value of having Housh back. I am personally very annoyed with the guy's attitude and ready to move on. Ready to focus the effort on Coles, RB, and perhaps Matt Birk.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
gpngc would be upset to hear that. From the way he reveres Michael Crabtree, you'd think we were talking about Calvin Johnson. Houshmanzadeh would allow Seattle to draft with added flexibility. The team could still easily go after Crabtree at #4; however, they could target OT in the first with Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, DT with B.J. Raji (even with the addition of Colin Cole), or even QB in Mark Sanchez to help put the team's future in motion. Housh and Deion Branch isn't exactly a dynamic 1-2 combo, more of a 2-2 combo, but T.J. is a good player who could really find a way to succeed in Seattle's offense.

Get it done Seattle, I'm ready for the Bengals to take their attention off T.J. To me, adding Laverneus Coles for a much cheaper price, and giving Andre Caldwell another veteran mentor along with the chance to play a bit more, would out-weigh the value of having Housh back. I am personally very annoyed with the guy's attitude and ready to move on. Ready to focus the effort on Coles, RB, and perhaps Matt Birk.

Ah, but I don't. I think we are talking about Michael Crabtree, one of the most prolific college receivers of all-time with hands of glue and the undeniable potential to be a scary NFL player.

I don't get the "allows them to draft with flexibility/allows them to use the 4th pick elsewhere/alleviates the pressure of taking Crabtree at #4" stuff. People talk like being "forced" to draft Crabtree is a bad thing. Like the Seahawks should be looking for any excuse not to. I just don't get it.

Pudge- we are rooting for each others' teams in this awkward scenario. GO BENGALS- Re-Sign Housh! lol

ThePudge
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Ah, but I don't. I think we are talking about Michael Crabtree, one of the most prolific college receivers of all-time with hands of glue and the undeniable potential to be a scary NFL player.

I don't get the "allows them to draft with flexibility/allows them to use the 4th pick elsewhere/alleviates the pressure of taking Crabtree at #4" stuff. People talk like being "forced" to draft Crabtree is a bad thing. Like the Seahawks should be looking for any excuse not to. I just don't get it.

Pudge- we are rooting for each others' teams in this awkward scenario. GO BENGALS- Re-Sign Housh! lol

haha I realized that. Housh is a good player, it's rather ironic as money shouldn't be such an issue with us because a) We're not the ones spending and b) both teams have enough to sign housh, another FA, and all their draft picks. Still, not to take a cheap-shot at all, if my team paid Nate Burleson $7 million a year (with the primary reason being revenge for Steve Hutchinson) I would be wary of my team's spending on WRs.

Taking Crabtree at #4 is not a bad thing at all. However, if the team was able to sign Housh, they could turn their directives to a position other than WR because it would become much less of a need. If the team could land arguably a #1 receiver and a future franchise LT or QB in one offseason you'd have to be feeling pretty nice. That being said, I think T.J. is a very good #2, not a #1.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
From another Seahawks board. I'm not watching ESPN right now but apparently this is what happened:

ESPN's Michael Smith just stated on ESPN's NFL Live that his sources are still convinced TJ Housh will sign with Seattle.

He continue to say he didn't want to leave Seattle when he visited the VMAC on Friday, but honored his comittment to visit the Vikings.

By the end of day, he feels TJ Housh will be a Seahawk.

FML

ThePudge
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
From another Seahawks board. I'm not watching ESPN right now but apparently this is what happened:

FML

So, that will be two third round compensation picks for the Bengals in 2010, or a 3rd/4th, at the worst a 4th/4th. I like the sound of that. Knowing that could, possibly, influence a Cincinnati decision to trade up a bit in 2009 in the 2nd/3rd/4th if the right situation were to arise. With two extra picks, fairly high, in 2010 the Bengals may be a bit more willing to part ways with a 2010's 3rd/4th in a package to move up this year. Of course, this is me over-thinking things and in no way is this an exact science, it is an educated guess.

vikes_28
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Clearly, CLEARLY?

"Playoffs, Playoffs?" - Jim Mora

vikes_28
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Housh to Seattle is imminent?

http://thevikingage.com/2009/03/02/houshmandzadeh-to-seahawks-looks-imminent/

How credible is that?

gpngc
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
The Seattle board is blowing up right now. There are a million people saying it's a "done deal." Some are citing unnamed sources.

Someone even said this, I don't know if it's a joke or not (I just turned on ESPN):

John Clayton just said on ESPN that Housh was seen running through downtown LA 'cooing' and flapping his arms as if they were wings. This is another clear sign that he will be joining the Seahawks.

Go_Eagles77
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
lol wut? That's pretty weird...

Geo
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Hahaha, that's good.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
The worst part about it is would you really be surprised if it were true? No. lol

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
lol well I guess that seals the deal.

Beans
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
The Seattle board is blowing up right now. There are a million people saying it's a "done deal." Some are citing unnamed sources.

Someone even said this, I don't know if it's a joke or not (I just turned on ESPN):

...so Housh has lost his ******* mind?

vikes_28
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Sweet. Damn you seahawks.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
From the Seattle P.I.

Hawks: T.J. sightings at Sea-Tac

The T.J. Houshmandzadeh saga has reached the point where multiple people have reported seeing him – or someone who looks like him – at Sea-Tac airport this afternoon.

The Bengals beat writer I've been working with on this when-will-it-end story also got the same report.

No confirmation, yet. But I guess it won't hurt to hope.

gpngc
03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Done.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/breaking-housh-headed-to-seattle/

We better still draft Crabtree.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Enjoy him. We will enjoy our #2 receiver here in Minnesota just fine.

Xonraider
03-02-2009, 11:42 PM
OMGZZZZ !!!!! CRABTREE A RAIDER IS BeCOMING WAYYYYYY TOO POSSIBLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you Seattle, you used to be our rivals, not any more ;)

03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
OMGZZZZ !!!!! CRABTREE A RAIDER IS BeCOMING WAYYYYYY TOO POSSIBLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 your avy. You just know it's gonna happen !!!!! :D

XxXdragonXxX
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM

I really hope that signing a 32 year old WR doesnt stop us from drafting Crabtree.

Flyboy
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I really hope that signing a 32 year old WR doesnt stop us from drafting Crabtree.

I would say so. That would just be too much money signed into one position.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Seattle doesn't have anything reliable at WR still, if they value Crabtree that highly then why not, it's not like they don't still have Walter Jones but some people are penciling in Jason Smith too.

I think Maclin is a better fit for Oakland anyway, then again Al Davis could take DHB at #7 for all we know.

umphrey
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Seattle draft a receiver anyway and Oakland will take one too giving the Packers more options at #9!

cacksman
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Well we'll wait to see if you sign Housh, and if that happens, we can have a little bet on who you take.

When the hell did I ever said I would bet on us taking Crabtree? I said he is by no means ruled out.

At least we got Housh though :) :)