PDA

View Full Version : Eagles sign Stacy Andrews

Matthew Jones
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Per Len Pasquerelli, the Eagles have signed Stacy Andrews:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939730

The Philadelphia Eagles, who could lose both of their long-time starting offensive tackles in free agency, prepared for that likelihood on Friday, reaching a contract agreement with former Cincinnati Bengals right tackle Stacy Andrews.

Financial details of what will be a multi-year deal were not immediately available.

Andrews is tentatively scheduled to fly to Philadelphia on Friday to undergo a physical. He is the older brother of current Eagles right guard Shawn Andrews and is expected to line up next to him in 2009. Shawn Andrews is a five-year veteran and a two-time Pro Bowl player.

It is expected that Stacy Andrews will replace longtime starter Jon Runyan on the right side of Philadelphia's blocking unit. Runyan is an unrestricted free agent who almost certainly won't re-sign with the Eagles. The team is also prepared to lose left tackle Tra Thomas in free agency.

Regarded as a power-type rightside blocker, Andrews should be an excellent replacement and makes the Eagles younger at the position.

Andrews, 29, was Cincinnati's franchise player in 2008, but the team opted not to tag him this spring. He is coming off offseason surgery to repair his right knee after tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in the 15th game of last season, but is expected to be ready for the start of the 2009 campaign.

A four-year veteran, and the Bengals' fourth-round pick in the 2004 draft, Andrews has played in 62 games and started 32 of them. The former University of Mississippi standout started 29 games over the past two seasons.

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Not surprised by this, as long as he is healthy he will be a great signing. It'll be neat seeing Sh. Andrews and St. Andrews next to eachother on their jerseys...

vidae
02-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Great signing.

Todd Bertuzzi
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Very nice.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Great signing by the Eagles. They're probably going to lose both of their Tackles from last season.

BlindSite
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Good signing, they've got two first rounders to move around or to find their other starting tackle, so they've got to be happy with at least the start of their free agency.

Buttered toast sonic
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
the first and hopefully not the last move the eagles make (fingers crossed for TJ)

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Good signing, they've got two first rounders to move around or to find their other starting tackle, so they've got to be happy with at least the start of their free agency.
We might already have our other starting tackle in Todd Herremans. In the first round I would love to go a combination of 2 of the following 3 positions: RB, WR, TE. Any 2 of Knowshon Moreno, Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Pettigrew would be awesome.

BlindSite
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Just curious from eagle fans, would you rather have the money, Otah and not have carolina's pick.

Or the two picks and an older Vet who's arguably not that much of an upgrade?

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 01:40 AM
If he stays healthy he will be a very good RT for the Eagles. Hopefully he can help get his brothers head on straight as well.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Just curious from eagle fans, would you rather have the money, Otah and not have carolina's pick.

Or the two picks and an older Vet who's arguably not that much of an upgrade?
Well if we wouldn't have traded with the panthers, we might not have DeSean Jackson, possibly Quintin Demps, who looks like our starting FS next year, and we wouldn't have 2 1st round picks this year. I would definitely rather have Otah over Andrews, but with the whole package, I'm happy with what we got.

AkiliSmith
02-28-2009, 08:18 AM
He was absolute garbage this season and is coming off of a serious knee injury. I'm glad he's gone.

Sniper
02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Well if we wouldn't have traded with the panthers, we might not have DeSean Jackson, possibly Quintin Demps, who looks like our starting FS next year, and we wouldn't have 2 1st round picks this year. I would definitely rather have Oher over Andrews, but with the whole package, I'm happy with what we got.

Not to mention the fact that Otah is infinitely better suited for Carolina's run-heavy scheme.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Woops, meant Otah, not Oher, lol.

Sturdyvant
02-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I hate to rain on the collective parade of Philadelphia, but Stacy Andrews is not very good, and certainly not worth 7 mil per year. He gave up more sacks that any other Cincinnati offensive lineman in 2008, and this line included such turnstiles as Levi Jones and Eric Ghiaciuc. Furthermore, that was in a contract year! If he can't motivate himself to elevate his level of play in a contract year, than good luck when he has a long-term deal.

You can rationalize his poor performance to being a Bengal, if you like. However, there is much more to it than that. If you take into account his poor performance, the fact that he now has one bad knee, and that he has always had trouble keeping his weight under control - I think Philly cuts him after 2 disappointing seasons and eats his considerable cap number.

Sniper
02-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I hate to rain on the collective parade of Philadelphia, but Stacy Andrews is not very good, and certainly not worth 7 mil per year. He gave up more sacks that any other Cincinnati offensive lineman in 2008, and this line included such turnstiles as Levi Jones and Eric Ghiaciuc. Furthermore, that was in a contract year! If he can't motivate himself to elevate his level of play in a contract year, than good luck when he has a long-term deal.

You can rationalize his poor performance to being a Bengal, if you like. However, there is much more to it than that. If you take into account his poor performance, the fact that he now has one bad knee, and that he has always had trouble keeping his weight under control - I think Philly cuts him after 2 disappointing seasons and eats his considerable cap number.

If you could point out this "parade", that'd be much appreciated. I've already stated that the Eagles overpaid and that he's a mediocre player, but hey, ignore facts in the midst of your good time.

"Parade", nice call.

MetSox17
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
We might already have our other starting tackle in Todd Herremans. In the first round I would love to go a combination of 2 of the following 3 positions: RB, WR, TE. Any 2 of Knowshon Moreno, Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Pettigrew would be awesome.

I think it would be a huge mistake on the Eagles part to waste a first round pick on Brandon Pettigrew. For a second rounder, Philadelphia must me kicking themselves that Tampa Bay got Kellen Winslow. That Philly offense would be sick with K2 sprinkled in there.

Brandon Pettigrew just doesn't seem like a guy with much of a ceiling. His athleticism leaves a lot to be desired, so his offensive game may be a bit limited. I do agree that they go RB with one, for sure, and they might grab a OT, which wouldn't be that bad of an idea depending on who is dropping.

nepg
02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Philly should be happy with whatever TE they can get in Round 2. Nelson, Ingram, Beckum, Coffman, Casey...some great options.
________
WATER BONGS (http://glassbongs.org/)

Brent
02-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I think it would be a huge mistake on the Eagles part to waste a first round pick on Brandon Pettigrew. For a second rounder, Philadelphia must me kicking themselves that Tampa Bay got Kellen Winslow. That Philly offense would be sick with K2 sprinkled in there.

Brandon Pettigrew just doesn't seem like a guy with much of a ceiling. His athleticism leaves a lot to be desired, so his offensive game may be a bit limited. I do agree that they go RB with one, for sure, and they might grab a OT, which wouldn't be that bad of an idea depending on who is dropping.
Call me crazy but I liked what I saw from Celek at TE for the Eagles. I think he could be all right. Tough break for the Eagles though, with Jermaine Gresham deciding to stay in school. You'd have to think he'd be a guy they'd want in round 1.

nepg
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Ya, Celek did well. I like Pettigrew, but part of me thinks Pettigrew just won't make it...
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA SEEDS (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
It would've been a good signing if it was to a team that planned on putting him at RG. He was a monster at RG, at RT he was not good. I think this is a mistake, I wanted the Bengals to re-sign him but for depth and future at RG.

ChezPower4
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Good for the Eagles, Anderews is a player I've always liked and pulled for hope he does well.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
It would've been a good signing if it was to a team that planned on putting him at RG. He was a monster at RG, at RT he was not good. I think this is a mistake, I wanted the Bengals to re-sign him but for depth and future at RG.
He has a ton of potential though, and with Juan Castillo coaching him he can be really good at RT.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 01:08 PM
He'll be 28 when next season starts, the potential train is leaving town. He's good at guard, not so much at tackle. Our team might struggle with certain things but they can develop Oline talent, he wasn't working out at RT at all. I would've been disappointed if we brought him back at any kind of contract to start as our RT. In the run game at RG he just destroys people.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Reid didn't even say which position he will be played at, he said he can play LG or RT and they didn't pick one or the other yet, so even if he starts the season at RT he could always be moved.

FuzzyGopher
02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
They should of signed Erin Andrews.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/1361/original.jpg

BlindSite
02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
A lot of a tackles blocking requires some help from the tight end and his guards on the inside, none of which the Bengals have.

Not only that but really, they had a lot of roster alterations at running back and quarterback. Not getting any help, ever on your side of the line and not getting any help from a running back if there's a bandit breaks through and probably a QB holding on to the ball too long trying to get something going down a few points, Tackles will give up more sacks.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Yep, having his brother next to him will help him tremendously, as will a QB that can move very well in the pocket.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Willie Anderson went to Hawaii year after year with Bobbie Williams to the left of him. They destroyed teams in the running game. Reggie Kelly is one of the better blocking TE's in the league. Andrews had both (last year and the year before) and was not very productive at RT. Help was not an issue.

All Ryan Fitzpatrick did was move in the pocket, many times it was running from the guy who beat Levi or Andrews. Bobbie Williams is a very solid RG.

themaninblack
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
This is a good move by the iggles. Regardless of which position he plays, he can be a monster. It was clear he didn't want to be here this past season and I think he can be very good at either guard or tackle.

twista6002
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't know if he's going to be completely healthy or if he's even a fraction as talented as his brother, but Castillo can usually get the best of his linemen. I know at the very least the run game will be better.

The Legend
03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Great signing.

6 Years 42 Million is too much in my oppion.

Sniper
03-03-2009, 06:46 AM
6 Years 42 Million is too much in my oppion.

It's ridiculous. No reason to give him that much money.

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Nice!!!!

Justin Tuck needed an overpaid injury-prone doormat to run all over

Sniper
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Nice!!!!

Yup. Lord knows he couldn't do dick against Jon Runyan.

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Yup. Lord knows he couldn't do dick against Jon Runyan.

Ya, only Strahan could bend him over and make him scream like a lil girl, LOL

Go_Eagles77
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Nice!!!!

The bengals played the giants last year and held Tuck to 0 sacks.